Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

NukaCola wrote: »
    Best way to lose him. Why play hard ball with a player who is easily in the top 3 most important players at the club?

He's 3 years left on his contact. No need to bend over so easily, especially when on current form he's not worth it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Any news on Balotelli's fitness?
    any news on what his injury is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Gbear wrote: »
    It isn't though. None of this season's signings are misses. You'd want to be deeply stupid to be writing any of them off when none of them have even played 20 games.

While that may be true to have none of them hit the ground running especially when a couple of them were big money signings from within the league isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Sprained wrist from delivering mail, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Im still annoyed at the fact we appear to be losing suso. If we lose sterling ill be furious. No idea how anyone can claim hes not worth 70k. Hes our best player and hes only 20 years old, the sky is the limit for him. It wont be long before he realises hes **** all chance of winning a major trophy at liverpool, tie him down to a lengthy contract before that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You can bring Rodgers to squad.

You can't make him use it.

Or something like that.:o

You can bring a horse to water but a pencil must be lead :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Club have no choice but to pay Sterling whether it's now or a few months down the road. There are plenty of clubs out there who will pay him that money and more. If he was still a fringe player breaking through it's one thing but he obviously (and correctly) feels he's already one of the main men at the club.

MR NINE wrote: »
    tie him down to a lengthy contract before that happens.

Since when did a lengthy contract tie down any player who fancies a move to one of the elite European clubs? All a lengthy contract means is the player has security of income for X years even if their form dips or the manager no longer fancies them (read Borini) or the club can demand the maximum transfer fee possible (read Suarez) if an elite club comes knocking and there's a few years left on the contract.

Long contracts are a double edged sword which guarantee nothing and certainly don't tie a player down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What's going to be very interesting is Sturridge when he gets back. I fear he won't be near the same level of player he was when he had Suarez beside him, spotting runs, executing passes, creating space, taking the focus of defences.

The expectation heaped onto
    Sturridge by fans, the manager & players at the club is going to be absolutely monumental.

Those who never wanted or rated Sturridge can say his form was predominantly down to Suarez despite him scoring a load of goals when Luis was going through his ban spells.

It's obvious we are missing him badly, might well not be enough to get 4th with him back but he'd turn a lot of them draws into victories and maybe snatch a point from a defeat.

Those who never rated him can't wait to be proven right, same with their opinion of Rodgers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's 3 years left on his contact. No need to bend over so easily, especially when on current form he's not worth it.

I would hope the people negotiating the contract haven't your naive and foolish outlook.

The longer he doesn't get a deserved better deal the more likely he'll want a move. Pay a decent wage for the importance of his role at the club and make him see his future is here. We cant afford to **** around.

Or go your way, no rush, sure he has 3 years left it'll be grand.

I would hope the people negotiating the contract haven't your naive and foolish outlook.

The longer he doesn't get a deserved better deal the more likely he'll want a move. Pay a decent wage for the importance of his role at the club and make him see his future is here. We cant afford to **** around.

Or go your way, no rush, sure he has 3 years left it'll be grand.

We'd be bankrupt fairly quickly if the club had your outlook, I think I'd rather mine. €70,000 is a perfectly acceptable offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Boom_Bap wrote: »

don't worry.... he'll be back just in time to serve his ban! :D

We'd be bankrupt fairly quickly if the club had your outlook, I think I'd rather mine. €70,000 is a perfectly acceptable offer.
    It may be in the context of what LFC can afford to pay but I guarantee you there are lot's of sides who would love the opportunity to inject Sterlings pace and drive into their team and would pay more. His market salary is determined by what he can get from those willing to pay him most, whether that is LFC or not will be determined fairly soon. We can only pay wages and transfer fee's we can afford, we don't have an Oligarch or Saudi prince with limitless cash like others have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would be sick if we lost Sterling. He is easily the most exciting teenage prospect in Europe, any of our rivals would have no problem splashing £50m on him.
    Pay the wages he wants, we don't have anyone close to his quality in the squad bar Sturridge. He's just turned 20, he is the guy this Liverpool team needs to be built around.

His market worth isn't dictated by what we want to give him though. It's dictated by what he could get on the open market and that is a lot more than 70K a week. There is a small handful of clubs in England that would probably give him 150K a week tomorrow without blinking. And I'm sure his agent knows this.

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Since when did a lengthy contract tie down any player who fancies a move to one of the elite European clubs? All a lengthy contract means is the player has security of income for X years even if their form dips or the manager no longer fancies them (read Borini) or the club can demand the maximum transfer fee possible (read Suarez) if an elite club comes knocking and there's a few years left on the contract.

Long contracts are a double edged sword which guarantee nothing and certainly don't tie a player down.

They guarantee a strong bargaining position and a healthy transfer fee. Sterling with five years left on his deal is worth a lot more than sterling with two years left on his deal. You touched on it with the example, tie him down to a long term contract and it means we either keep him for a few more years or sell him on our terms for a healthy fee, i dont see how either of those scenarios is bad for the club.

BenEadir wrote: »
    It may be in the context of what LFC can afford to pay but I guarantee you there are lot's of sides who would love the opportunity to inject Sterlings pace and drive into their team and would pay more. His market salary is determined by what he can get from those willing to pay him most, whether that is LFC or not will be determined fairly soon. We can only pay wages and transfer fee's we can afford, we don't have an Oligarch or Saudi prince with limitless cash like others have.

But as you say, we can't pay as well as other sides so no point pondering about what he could get on the open market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Clubs would easily pay 50 million.for Sterling?!?

I've recently watched inception, I'm tempting to jump out my 9th story apartment window to see if this is all a dream....

rob316 wrote: »
    I would be sick if we lost Sterling. He is easily the most exciting teenage prospect in Europe, any of our rivals would have no problem splashing £50m on him.
    Pay the wages he wants, we don't have anyone close to his quality in the squad bar Sturridge. He's just turned 20, he is the guy this Liverpool team needs to be built around.

If our club was better in the transfer makret I'd be delighted with £50m for him. I don't think any clubs would be stupid enough to pay it though.

His market worth isn't dictated by what we want to give him though. It's dictated by what he could get on the open market and that is a lot more than 70K a week. There is a small handful of clubs in England that would probably give him 150K a week tomorrow without blinking. And I'm sure his agent knows this.

They can afford to give him £150k though.

We'd be bankrupt by offering our best players proper deals to keep them at the club? 70k is a poor offer for a number of reasons. Name a player of comparable ability we could sign on to 70k a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sterling is worth nowhere near 50m euro.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oranage2 wrote: »

I've recently watched inception, I'm tempting to jump out my 9th story apartment window to see if this is all a dream....

Go o...

No, I can't do it.

We'd be bankrupt by offering our best players proper deals to keep them at the club? 70k is a poor offer for a number of reasons. Name a player of comparable ability we could sign on to 70k a week?

Yea, if we offered players who aren't worth £100k+, we be bankrupt fairly quickly. At the end of the day Sterling has scored the same amount goals as Henderson and Lallana this season with 1 more assist than Henderson and 2 more than Lallana. I think £70k for that return is fair, add in maybe £20k for his potential and I think a weekly wage of £90k per week is fair.

50 million + 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm tempting to jump out my 9th story apartment window to see if this is all a dream....

Do it for the lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yea, if we offered players who aren't worth £100k+, we be bankrupt fairly quickly. At the end of the day Sterling has scored the same amount goals as Henderson and Lallana this season with 1 more assist than Henderson and 2 more than Lallana. I think £70k for that return is fair, add in maybe £20k for his potential and I think a weekly wage of £90k per week is fair.

We can always say, "if you're getting to the stage where you're scoring 20 goals and 10 assists then you automatically activate another 30k".

It mightn't be that concrete but we rewarded Suarez for improving - he quickly got a new contract after starting on a very basic wage, was upped to 140k the summer before last and was promised 200k if he stayed this season.

We are up from 70k to 90k already :) Sterling is probably our most important player now and definately for the future. I would definately bend the rules a bit for him 100k is what he should probably get. 70k is a poor offer relative to some players in the squad, what they offer and are paid.

If the club can spend 23 m and 80k a week for Lallana we can do the sensible thing and keep sterling happy with a generous new contract.

We can always say, "if you're getting to the stage where you're scoring 20 goals and 10 assists then you automatically activate another 30k".

It mightn't be that concrete but we rewarded Suarez for improving - he quickly got a new contract after starting on a very basic wage, was upped to 140k the summer before last nd was promised 200k if he stayed this season.

If Sterling could produce like Suarez then I'd be happy to pay him like Suarez. As long as he's producing like Henerson an Lallana than pay him similar as well.

We are up from 70k to 90k already :) Sterling is probably our most important player now and definately for the future. I would definately bend the rules a bit for him 100k is what he should probably get. 70k is a poor offer relative to some players in the squad, what they offer and are paid.

If the club can spend 23 m and 80k a week for Lallana we can do the sensible thing and keep sterling happy with a generous new contract.

I never said £70k was my final offer, I said it was a fair offer. ;) I expect the club to increase it but talk of £150k etc is ridiculous. No point making your first offer your final one, just asking for trouble tbh. It's all part of the negotiating process though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Excellent article on Sterling & some interesting stats
    In a sense, Sterling has stepped in to fill the void. He already has four assists this season and only Southampton’s Dusan Tadic has created more chances from open play. Sterling is joint-second alongside Eden Hazard, who also happens to be the only player in the league with more dribbles.
    As Gabriele Marcotti pointed out in the week Sterling will make his 100th appearance for Liverpool, the youngster has already played the full 90 minutes on 49 occasions in his fledgling career – far more than both Cristiano Ronaldo (30) and Lionel Messi (25) were expected to at the same stage.
    The Premier League tracking data highlights the problem. High-intensity runs can be impossible to stop when a team breaks in unison. Sterling has produced over 70 of these sprints in six separate matches this season. That’s the same number as the rest of the Liverpool squad put together

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9601382/raheem-sterlings-contract-negotiations-should-concern-liverpool-given-their-over-reliance-on-the-youngster

Some fans criticising him is unfair imo. He badly needs some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We're so fukt.

People saying build a team around Sterling. He's just gone 20 and is expected to carry a team?

No wonder his head could be turned. Even without bringing wages into it, just being able to play in a team that's capable of doing the business rather than having to try do it all himself.

We spunked 100M on players and didn't properly address the issues we already had, never mind trying to fill the newly created hole in the team ( let's be honest, Mario is a square peg for a round hole).

I couldn't blame him for his head being turned, I'll feel **** about it but there is very little loyalty in the game.

Liverpool are unseeded for the draw of 32 on Monday.

However:

No team can play a club from their group or a side from the same association. Games will be played on 19 and 26 February.

That means Liverpool cannot face Roma, Anderlecht, Ajax, Celtic, PSV or any other side who finishes second in their group.

No side can be drawn against another team from the same country at this stage either, meaning Everton and Tottenham aren’t possible opponents – yet.

Got that from a website. Not sure about some of it.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Liverpool are unseeded for the draw of 32 on Monday.

However:

No team can play a club from their group or a side from the same association. Games will be played on 19 and 26 February.

That means Liverpool cannot face Roma, Anderlecht, Ajax, Celtic, PSV or any other side who finishes second in their group.

No side can be drawn against another team from the same country at this stage either, meaning Everton and Tottenham aren’t possible opponents – yet.

Got that from a website. Not sure about some of it.

Appears that way on the official website as well.

I really hope we take this seriously and try and win the trophy. To be honest, I'm excited by it.

Sure, its not the CL, but we've gotten to the knockout stages of a European trophy, our intention should be to win it.

If there is farting about with half a team and so on (despite the fact that it might make them play better) I'll be really annoyed if we didn't take it seriously. I can't see us not taking it seriously though given that there is a CL spot for the winner. Despite our crapness, I bet we are some stupid short price to win it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Does the winner of the EL get Arsenal's CL place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Turtyturd wrote: »

yes, and our stadium - you win, you'll be able to get the likes of Sanchez who didn't fancy it up North!

Not unless there is a bizarre set of circumstances such as the CL winner finishes outside the top 4, the EL winners (who are us obviously) finish outside of the top 4 as well. Then in that case the 4th place team would miss out as there is a max of 5 from any country. A very unlikely set of circumstances indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Man United paid £30m for Luke Shaw, a left back! £50m with his potential and what he has shown already is a fair price. I nearly choked when Man United paid £28m for a teenage Rooney, but he turned out to be a great signing. Sterling can be as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Not unless there is a bizarre set of circumstances such as the CL winner finishes outside the top 4, the EL winners (who are us obviously) finish outside of the top 4 as well. Then in that case the 4th place team would miss out as there is a max of 5 from any country. A very unlikely set of circumstances indeed.

Ah right, I thought it was a maximum of four from each country.

As enjoyable as that scenario would be it's unlikely unless Mourinho can overcome his semi problem.

• Advertisement

Ah right, I thought it was a maximum of four from each country.

As enjoyable as that scenario would be it's unlikely unless Mourinho can overcome his semi problem.

I'm sure there's medication he can take for that.

Im actually pretty happy were in the europa league. Obviously its come at a cost, id much rather we were in the last 16 of the cl though that goes without saying, but qualifying for the el is a consolation. If we lose our next two league games, as is fairly likely, i think we can safely say the el will be our only hope of cl football next season.

Its quite clear from our disastrous cl campaign that weve a lot to learn regarding european competition. This applies to the manager and the majority of the squad. I know we were giants once upon a time, but those times are gone. The more time we spend in european competitions the better it bodes for our future contention in these competitions. I know many have given up on rodgers at this stage, but hes still the liverpool manager and all indications are that he will be for the foreseeable future, it will be great experience for him to have a campaign in the knockouts of the el. We also have a large squad, so competing in the el shouldnt be a strain on our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

with the way the team is playing at the moment how can any sane being in here, honestly harbour any expectations and expect them to win the EL?

We are a mid table team because we aren't playing well enough to be at the top of the table. it's a damn good ndicator that we can't win the EL in my books, unless we really buck the trend. Xmas is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

breghall wrote: »
    with the way the team is playing at the moment how can any sane being in here, honestly harbour any expectations and expect them to win the EL?

Not at the moment but who knows how the team will be playing by late February. Still over 2 months away. Newcastle were almost bottom a few weeks ago and are just outside the top 4 now.

Form can change, players can come back from injury, players can arrive in January. Who knows what shape we'll be in by February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Well that's unfortunate but once his wife is getting the match reports on time she seems to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's happenes to the CL spot if the Europa winner has already qualified from their country.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    What's happenes to the CL spot if the Europa winner has already qualified from their country.

I think top 4 still have a place and EL gets you a 5th?

Dunno what'll happen if one of the remaining english clubs win CL though. I might be wrong about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

Man u finishing 6th will get it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

breghall wrote: »

We are a mid table team because we aren't playing well enough to be at the top of the table. it's a damn good ndicator that we can't win the EL in my books, unless we really buck the trend. Xmas is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

Fulham got to the EL final in 2010 and finished 12th in the Premiership. We should look to Hodgson for inspiration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not at the moment but who knows how the team will be playing by late February. Still over 2 months away. Newcastle were almost bottom a few weeks ago and are just outside the top 4 now.

Form can change, players can come back from injury, players can arrive in January. Who knows what shape we'll be in by February.
    God ii hope so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Excellent article on Sterling & some interesting stats

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9601382/raheem-sterlings-contract-negotiations-should-concern-liverpool-given-their-over-reliance-on-the-youngster

Some fans criticising him is unfair imo. He badly needs some help.

The quote about how dangerous a team can be when breaking in unison is the stand-out point for me. That was possibly Liverpool's greatest strength last season, now the ability to break at speed seems near impossible to do so. Makes life a heck of a lot easier for opposition defences

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement