Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

greendom wrote: »
    yes, and our stadium - you win, you'll be able to get the likes of Sanchez who didn't fancy it up North!

That is abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think top 4 still have a place and EL gets you a 5th?

Dunno what'll happen if one of the remaining english clubs win CL though. I might be wrong about it all.

No I mean if a top 4 wins the Europa but has already qualified does that space go somewhere else like the losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

niallo27 wrote: »
    No I mean if a top 4 wins the Europa but has already qualified does that space go somewhere else like the losers.

Good question, I'd imagine that England has three spots and the qualification spot, if a top four side win the Europa, unlikely this season, I'd imagine that the qualification spot would go to the team in fifth. Spurs or Everton maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The quote about how dangerous a team can be when breaking in unison is the stand-out point for me. That was possibly Liverpool's greatest strength last season, now the ability to break at speed seems near impossible to do so. Makes life a heck of a lot easier for opposition defences

Largely why I want Coutinho playing pretty much every game. Even when his playmaking isn't up to scratch, his movement and speed still cause more problems than almost anyone else we have.

I hope we start seeing a bit more of Markovic in the coming weeks and months. Just the option of his pace forces defenses to act differently and back off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As far as I can tell we have the chance to relieve old glories with Borussia Monchengladbach and Club Brugge possibly opponents in last 32 draw on Monday. Also Benitez's Napoli if they top the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Too right. No rush to get it done.
    The club had the same attitude towards Gerrard and almost lost him to Chelsea TWICE. Sterling doesn't have the same ties to Liverpool as Gerrard so is never likely to have an 11th hour change of heart and decide to stick with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I remember one year under Houillier we went to OT in horrendus form and Danny Murphy looped one into the top corner for the win.
    The difference being Houllier could setup a team to defend as a unit so stealing a victory was a possibility.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

niallo27 wrote: »
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Good question, I'd imagine that England has three spots and the qualification spot, if a top four side win the Europa, unlikely this season, I'd imagine that the qualification spot would go to the team in fifth. Spurs or Everton maybe.

I'm pretty sure I read that the spot just gets allocated in the way it did up until now. The only way England would get an extra spot is if an English team wins the CL or EL and finish outside the top 4. I'm pretty sure the EL runners up don't inherit the spot either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

When is Flanagan back? We could do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bugged me all day but why was markovic sent off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

cjmc wrote: »
    Bugged me all day but why was markovic sent off ?

A failed attempt at fending off a player and his hand went across the basels player face giving his nose the slightest of tickles which he then collapsed on the ground for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We are going to draw Napoli in the E.L. aren't we.

Rodgers vs Rafa that might need a thread of it's own for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Rafa the opposing manager for the first leg and our manager for the second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

klose wrote: »
    A failed attempt at fending off a player and his hand went across the basels player face giving his nose the slightest of tickles which he then collapsed on the ground for.

I wouldn't mind but Markovic was looking good for those 15 minutes. A glimpse of the player we paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

We could potentially be playing Feyenoord in the last 32 after they had an impressive 3-0 win over Standard Liege to build on a 2-0 victory over Sevilla the last time out meaning they topped their group. Very good side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We all know who certain posters would be cheering for:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This is who we could potentially face:
    Borussia Moenchengladbach, Club Brugge, Besiktas, Red Bull Salzburg, Dinamo Moscow, Inter Milan, Feyenoord, Napoli, Dynamo Kiev, Fiorentina, Legia Warsaw, Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos, Zenit St Petersburg, Athletic Bilbao.

Some very tricky ties there.

Napoli just for the crack on this thread.

Zenit St Petersburg AVB auditioning for FSG :P

klose wrote: »

Or another way to look at it, would be to say he was very foolish for giving the ref an excuse to send him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Borussia Moenchengladbach, Club Brugge, Besiktas, Red Bull Salzburg, Dinamo Moscow, Inter Milan, Feyenoord, Napoli, Dynamo Kiev, Fiorentina, Legia Warsaw, Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos, Zenit St Petersburg, Athletic Bilbao.

If we get Sturridge back, winning the Europa League might be our best shot at CL football next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Or another way to look at it, would be to say he was very foolish for giving the ref an excuse to send him off.

I'm sure he thought he was just fending off an opponent like normal. I doubt he thought a red card was even a remote possibility. Especially for basically flicking the tip of his nose.

If we get Sturridge back, winning the Europa League might be our best shot at CL football next year.

I dont know about that. Judging on how our rivals for the top four have been playing, I'm still hopeful on getting fourth.

Utd have had a gun run but were terrible in some of those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

MD1990 wrote: »
    We all know who certain posters would be cheering for:p.

Liverpool id imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Looking at those, we could go quite far in this competition. All the way to Moscow or St. Petersburg.

I'm sure he thought he was just fending off an opponent like normal. I doubt he thought a red card was even a remote possibility. Especially for basically flicking the tip of his nose.

I know what you're saying but after looking at replays, he had two good looks to see where the player was and I think he gave the player a reason to make the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well i dont think he went to swing for him or anything like that and fending off players is common practice and he just made a bit of a balls of it. No biggie in my books anyways, was impressed by his cameo all the same and hoping to see more of him from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

brevity wrote: »

God knows how anyone could play with 2 fractured ribs. I had one fractured rib before and it was sore to even breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

brevity wrote: »

Hmmmm isn't Bascombe very close to Rodgers? Seems strange this would only come out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It makes no sense at all. If someone is injured then just say they are injured and let them get better...we have cover in that position.

Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hmmmm isn't Bascombe very close to Rodgers? Seems strange this would only come out now

Is he? More conspiracy stuff when it suits?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/11/liverpool-adam-lallana-fit-manchester-united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan wrote: »

Bet he too has a portrait of Rodgers in his house.

Both articles posted at the exact same time. Weird.

Injury seems like bull**** to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Rafa the opposing manager for the first leg and our manager for the second

We can go back to ending our posts in the original and best IRWT :D

Just reading that AC Milan are going to cancel the loan deal for Torres and Chelsea are prepared to let him go on a free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fernando-torres-set-offered-up-4793025

We need a striker... Just saying.

If he was prepared to take a huge pay cut would anyone take him back?

I think I would on a pay as you play deal.

Just reading that AC Milan are going to cancel the loan deal for Torres and Chelsea are prepared to let him go on a free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fernando-torres-set-offered-up-4793025

He's a better option than anything currently available to us. On a free & with a big pay cut id take the punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well he's better than Lambert, but he's still muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

There's a striker coming in January. Thats the only explanation for freezing out Borini and persisting with Lambert or Balotelli as lone strikers. Hope its Jackson Martinez and not Torres though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No chance as regards Torres, hes a shadow of the player he was, would offer nothing, no pace anymore, which we already lack in a striker. Id sooner take a 20/30 million punt on someone with talent, power, pace and a record of goals in recent times e.g Jackson, Higuain (for way less than 20mil), Gignac, Lacazette. Have to say idbe surprised if we do anything in Jan as we will have Sturridge back and Origi due in the summer, cant see them letting BR spend that money until the summer. Maybe if we got rid of Mario but thats unlikely in Jan too.

Apparently he's been chronic at Milan. Think he's done to be honest. Not sure he'd even be an upgrade on Ballotelli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

So we started Lallana against Sunderland knowing that he had two broken ribs?

ush wrote: »
    There's a striker coming in January. Thats the only explanation for freezing out Borini and persisting with Lambert or Balotelli as lone strikers. Hope its Jackson Martinez and not Torres though.

Somehow I don't think it's the only explanation.

To me, it actually looks personal. Borini is far from being brilliant but for him not to get a place on the bench when it leaves just lambert :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I dunno. Torres back at Liverpool. Depends on what reception he might get. Would he receive that same adulation and love from the fans? Could he feed off that?

Last two seasons, 15 & 13 goals for Lambert and he played in most games, can't see how Torres is considered better tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Quoting Charlie19:
    "
    To me, it actually looks personal. Borini is far from being brilliant but for him not to get a place on the bench when it leaves just lambert "

A couple of times last year Rodgers mentioned his time at Reading and what he took from it. Namely , that he would no longer give any player ,who would not follow his direction, more than two chances.
    He felt that being two forgiving with some who continued to do as they felt best was what did for him in the end. Seemed quite adamant about that, bitter even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Torres would be an absolute desperation signing, that lad has been 'done' for years.

A player we should look at is Benteke, for example.

The reason we got Balotelli was because we were desperate, and they were desperate to sell, and the quality of the people trying to do deals on our behalf is full of 'small time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Augmerson wrote: »
    I dunno. Torres back at Liverpool. Depends on what reception he might get. Would he receive that same adulation and love from the fans? Could he feed off that?

WiFi reception on the bench should be appealing to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augeo wrote: »
    Last two seasons, 15 & 13 goals for Lambert and he played in most games, can't see how Torres is considered better tbh

Torres scored loads of goals in other seasons too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Torres **** on this club right when it looked like we where turning a corner. IF he was banging in 20 goals a season, something he never did with any other club, there might be a case for signing him, but he's been a shadow of the player he was for us and frankly I'm delighted. I don't harbour any I'll will for players like masch or Alonso who moved to bigger clubs in a different league. Torres was here long enough to understand what that would do to his legacy.

• Advertisement

You can't blame Torres for leaving. He had no connection to Liverpool bar it being his employer.

If my job looked like it was going pear shaped and I received an offer from another company in better shape with increased wages I'd be gone in an instant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement