Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd argue Torres had more reason to leave than Suarez did but sure it's apples and oranges. One player was already ruined by injury and the other was just one incident away from a very serious and catastrophic ban for both player and club.

Both went at the right time tbh, it's not Luis' fault we spent the money from his sale like a sham who just won £3,000 in the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just reading that AC Milan are going to cancel the loan deal for Torres and Chelsea are prepared to let him go on a free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fernando-torres-set-offered-up-4793025

We need a striker... Just saying.

If he was prepared to take a huge pay cut would anyone take him back?

I think I would on a pay as you play deal.
    Ideal signing tbh.

He wouldn't cost us a penny...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If it was football manager I'd take the punt on torres. Could be a fairytale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't see Torres ever returning to form again. Granted he was an excellent finisher, but 80% of his game relied on his electrifying pace, and those knee injuries completely ruined that. Then his confidence went, and the rest is history as they say.

Still, I'd take him back to the club in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

straight swap in Jan... Mario for bony ... maybe throw in suso or Alberto aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Are we appealing Markovic's red card?
    He'll be suspended for the first EL game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The seeded teams for the Round of 32 draw

Olympiacos
    Sporting Portugal
    Athletic Bilbao
    FC Zenit
    Borussia Gladbach
    Brugge
    Beskitas
    Salzburg
    Dynamo Moscow
    Inter
    Feyenoord
    Everton
    Napoli
    Dynamo Kiev
    Fiorentina
    Legia Warsaw

Unseeded teams

Anderlecht
    Ajax
    Liverpool
    Roma
    Villarreal
    Torino
    Spurs
    Celtic (you just know they will draw Legia Warsaw)
    PSV
    Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Sevilla
    Wolfburg
    Young Boys
    Aaalborg
    Guingamp
    Trabzonspor

We can't be drawn against English teams in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Speaking of misses. I wish Skrtel, Enrique and Johnson would simply fcuk off.

Those players can't take all this blame. Skrtel was very good in our amazing season last year. He has had to cope with his former partner Agger being shunted out as well as a useless Lovren coming in. Lovren is the £20 million man who, if anything, dragged Skrtel down. Now i'm not saying he's brilliant but we know what his attributes are and he's done a good job for us. He looks better with Kolo.

Enrique was brilliant before his injuries started last season. He doesnt look the same player sadly though.

As for Johnson... He is obviously overpaid etc. etc. but doesnt deserve the level of abuse he gets. He does work hard and give its socks. I was delighted he scored the winner the other day and he was one of the only players to play anything approaching a decent level v Basel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Largely why I want Coutinho playing pretty much every game. Even when his playmaking isn't up to scratch, his movement and speed still cause more problems than almost anyone else we have.

I hope we start seeing a bit more of Markovic in the coming weeks and months. Just the option of his pace forces defenses to act differently and back off.

I'd more or less go along with you. Whilst Couthinho infuriates at times he's one of the few midfielders in the squad whose first instinct is to run directly at defenders. Allen, Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas don't have this attribute for different reasons.
    Of course the more you run at defenders the more you risk losing possession. Higher risk, higher potential of failure, higher potential of success.
    Static players like Lambert and Balotelli don't have the vision/movement to read Couthinho's through balls.

I'd like to see a combo of Sterling, Couthinho, Lallana and possibly Markovic on the pitch simultaneously. It's the only way I see the goals for column increasing.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think top 4 still have a place and EL gets you a 5th?

Dunno what'll happen if one of the remaining english clubs win CL though. I might be wrong about it all.

My understanding is that the EL get's you a fifth if one of the top four win the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Friday reality:

Brendan Rodgers isn't a good enough tactical manager to negotiate a European campaign successfully.

I agree that it is a good thing we're in it and the stakes are high as the payoff of a CL place is potentially huge. In all likelihood those matches will be our main focus at that point of the season. I just don' think Rodgers has the wherewithal to make a runner of it.

Just reading that AC Milan are going to cancel the loan deal for Torres and Chelsea are prepared to let him go on a free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fernando-torres-set-offered-up-4793025

We need a striker... Just saying.

If he was prepared to take a huge pay cut would anyone take him back?

I think I would on a pay as you play deal.

Yep - bring him in imo.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    My understanding is that the EL get's you a fifth if one of the top four win the CL.

Top four qualify
    If we finish 6th and win EL then us + Top four qualify
    If we finish 6th and win EL and Chelsea finish 1st and win the CL...us + top four qualify

Top four qualify
    If another English team wins EL they qualify also

=============

The only way an English team eligible to claim a spot would lose a spot is that fourth place would lose a spot if Chelsea / City finished like 7th and still won the CL AND we or Spurs also won the EL. In that scenario, it would be top three + CL winner + EL winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

No way on Torres. We have enough problems without adding another aging striker who can't score goals.

Those players can't take all this blame. Skrtel was very good in our amazing season last year. He has had to cope with his former partner Agger being shunted out as well as a useless Lovren coming in. Lovren is the £20 million man who, if anything, dragged Skrtel down. Now i'm not saying he's brilliant but we know what his attributes are and he's done a good job for us. He looks better with Kolo.

Enrique was brilliant before his injuries started last season. He doesnt look the same player sadly though.

As for Johnson... He is obviously overpaid etc. etc. but doesnt deserve the level of abuse he gets. He does work hard and give its socks. I was delighted he scored the winner the other day and he was one of the only players to play anything approaching a decent level v Basel.

Maybe Skrtel is part of the problem, as opposed to his different cb partners.
    I wouldn't say he was very good last year. Don't think any of the back 5 were very good over a prolonged period.
    What drove Skrtel up the ladder imo was the goals he scored (the ones at the right end). These goal scoring exploits masked his defensive deficiencies.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep - bring him in imo.

If he can't score goals in a slower league what makes you think he'll score for Liverpool?

No way on Torres. We have enough problems without adding another aging striker who can't score goals.

Also, **** Torres.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Torres scored loads of goals in other seasons too.

Amazingly enough I do know that, however I am referring to last season and the season before, there's little point going back beyond that is there?

Torres is currently useless and unlikely to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Top four qualify
    If we finish 6th and win EL then us + Top four qualify
    If we finish 6th and win EL and Chelsea finish 1st and win the CL...us + top four qualify

Top four qualify
    If another English team wins EL they qualify also

=============

The only way an English team eligible to claim a spot would lose a spot is that fourth place would lose a spot if Chelsea / City finished like 7th and still won the CL AND we or Spurs also won the EL. In that scenario, it would be top three + CL winner + EL winner
    What about our poor neighbours across the park? Is there some unwritten rule that goes without saying that if they win the EL then Liverpool take their place?

Does anyone know how many goals we've scored from corners and free kicks this season? Obviously Gerrard with two against Everton and Basel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The whole argument about Torres losing his pace is what finished him doesn't hold water. Look at the goals he scored for us: he wasn't a Michael Owen one-trick-pony.

Now, whether he can ever recapture that form, I don't know. I think a huge part of it is psychological, so going back to Liverpool or Atletico would be his best bet.

Anyway, Torres isn't the answer, but he might do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Augmerson wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many goals we've scored from corners and free kicks this season? Obviously Gerrard with two against Everton and Basel.
    I know we are one of only 2 teams that haven't scored off a corner in the PL this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Maybe we should buy strikers that can score goals? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

The whole argument about Torres losing his pace is what finished him doesn't hold water. Look at the goals he scored for us: he wasn't a Michael Owen one-trick-pony.

Now, whether he can ever recapture that form, I don't know. I think a huge part of it is psychological, so going back to Liverpool or Atletico would be his best bet.

Anyway, Torres isn't the answer, but he might do a job.

When Owen lost his pace he was still a deadly finisher. Torres has lost that devastating pace and he can't finish. Rodgers signings have been poor but I don't think he's foolish enough to sign Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Honestly? I think I would take a chance on Torres. Would he want to return to the club? I think so, he is basically toxic now, and no top European club will want to take a chance on him. Also, Chelsea are looking to cancel his contract, so the legacy of his £200k a week wages should be gone. I think we could give him an 18 month deal at 80k a week plus incentives, and we could secure him. That won't bankrupt the club, and at least it gives us another option.

I actually think himself and Sterling would work together very well too. Sterling is looking for someone to make intelligent runs, and for me, Torres still has that ability (albeit, he is slower than what he was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Would have no problem having a fully fit sturridge for 2015 (never going to happen), shipping off balotelli for a minor loss, bringing in torres on a free on a big wage cut (also unlikely to happen) and then bringing in a top striker like, dare I say it, Bony.

I do honestly think that if there was any highly out of form striker out there that could do a job at Liverpool it would be Torres. Whatever people think about him, he still has some love for the club and with a familiar face in Gerrard and with Gerrard now starting to play off the striker, who knows what could happen!

Now back into the real world, sturridge will continue to have injury problems, balotelli will stay until at least the summer and do f**k all, borini will be loaned out or sold for pittance in January and we'll get no other striker with Lambert persisting as lone striker for the rest of the season.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Torres as had nine games (started seven) out of fourteen for Milan and scored one goal. I don't really see how this is an improvement on what we have?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If he can't score goals in a slower league what makes you think he'll score for Liverpool?

I know Balotelli and Borini can't score for Liverpool. I'd bring him in as a better body that Rodgers might actually put on the bench the odd time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool: Football's greatest is on SS1.

Makes me wish we'd the glory days again.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    What about our poor neighbours across the park? Is there some unwritten rule that goes without saying that if they win the EL then Liverpool take their place?

Everton win a European Trophy? Sorry I didn't bother worrying about that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

From watching some highlights of the champions league this week I wondered about these two as potential striker purchases?

Arkadiusz Milik - Ajax
    Islam Slimani - Sporting Lisbon

Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Honestly? I think I would take a chance on Torres. Would he want to return to the club? I think so, he is basically toxic now, and no top European club will want to take a chance on him. Also, Chelsea are looking to cancel his contract, so the legacy of his £200k a week wages should be gone. I think we could give him an 18 month deal at 80k a week plus incentives, and we could secure him. That won't bankrupt the club, and at least it gives us another option.

I actually think himself and Sterling would work together very well too. Sterling is looking for someone to make intelligent runs, and for me, Torres still has that ability (albeit, he is slower than what he was).

We are more or less confirming our small time status if we offer him a place in our squad.

Enough of taking educated punts, sign some proper quality that will walk into the first XI

We bloody love adding players to our squad who supposedly "give us another option" but in reality it's been a while since we have signed someone who is beyond doubt better quality than what we already have.

I'd prefer us to sign nobody rather than stockpiling squad players. Let the guys who have shown they are not out and out first XI players on a consistent basis act as the squad players. bringing in lads of similar level means we just have 2 mediocre options rather than one quality one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

It cannot be a coincidence that every CB we pair with Skrtel looks pure sh!te, despite being a very good CB before coming to Liverpool.

Toure and Lovren/Sakho ftw.

I think Torres is just trolling Vidic at this stage, following him back to the PL would just confirm it.

But i would love to see the look of sheer terror on Vidics face again as Torres picks the ball up just in front of him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know Balotelli and Borini can't score for Liverpool. I'd bring him in as a better body that Rodgers might actually put on the bench the odd time!

I agree.

Although I must say I have always favoured taking him back on the cheap.

Now its probably just a greater realisation of where we are at.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Maybe Skrtel is part of the problem, as opposed to his different cb partners.
    I wouldn't say he was very good last year. Don't think any of the back 5 were very good over a prolonged period.
    What drove Skrtel up the ladder imo was the goals he scored (the ones at the right end). These goal scoring exploits masked his defensive deficiencies.

There's no question we need better defenders (absolutely no question), but Skrtel at least has done something in a Liverpool shirt. I would be happy to sell Lovren on at a loss at this stage - £12, £15.

Kolo has been brilliant. Kolo.. Kolo! Kolo!

Starting to wonder if Sakho may have gone the way of Borini...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Torres? Seriously? I wouldn't want him in Anfield never mind on the pitch. Sulked and downed his tools when he didn't get a transfer away, forced through a transfer on deadline day. Not to mention he is washed up and finished. £50m for him was the best bit of business we ever did.
    He will retire soon he has lost the love of the game long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Torres is done lads, completely finished, forget about him. Defoe, Keane, Torres all mentioned this week, jesus wept things must be really desperate if that's the thinking.

rob316 wrote: »
    £50m for him was the best bit of business we ever did.

If only we hadn't wasted 35m of that on Big Andy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

F*ck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augeo wrote: »
    Amazingly enough I do know that, however I am referring to last season and the season before, there's little point going back beyond that is there?

Torres is currently useless and unlikely to get better.

There is little point looking back at all, past performance is not indicative of future performance. Just ask Chelsea.

He shouldn't be brought back anyway, if he can't cut it at the low level of Serie A he's well and truly finished. But he was a Benitez buy so some will always be open to having him back. We should see what Babel, Riera etc are up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Torres is a silly player to want.

he's been done for at least 2 years, if not more.

go and buy a quality forward player; one we know will do the job. simple as. Arsenal paid a fúckload for Sanchez, but guess what, they will have had no worries about whether it'd work or not.

pay the fúcking money needed for someone who will be guaranteed to make a difference. nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A few days ago it was Rafa now some people want Torres back. Need to stop living in the past Torres is a very poor striker now. Don't forget we finished 7th in 09/10 & Torres then sulked after the world cup except against Chelsea.
    Torres returning & most likely flopping would make the club look incredibly stupid in the transfer market again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think people forget how bad Torres was for us in the final 12 months he was at the club. Granted he had injuries but he was septic and that was 5 years ago.

Not like he pulled up any trees at Chelsea either despite winning the CL there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People in this thread regularly seem to miss the point when someone mentions a player.

Poster X: Why isn't Borini in the squad when we have no strikers bar Lambert who is knackered?

Poster Y: Borini? Jesus, why all the talk about Borini - he isn't good enough for Liverpool. Now Schurlre - theres a player.

Similar situation to any Torres suggestions. Its not about want - its about affordability and convenience. Big expensive non-Suarez gambles generally don't pay off in January and we have alot less to offer than we did four months ago in terms of money and CL ambitions.

noodler wrote: »
    Similar situation to any Torres suggestions. Its not about want - its about affordability and convenience. Big expensive non-Suarez gambles generally don't pay off in January and we have alot less to offer than we did four months ago in terms of money and CL ambitions.

it's also about bang for your dollar, and all the evidence suggests Torres won't offer that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

noodler wrote: »
    People in this thread regularly seem to miss the point when someone mentions a player.

Poster X: Why isn't Borini in the squad when we have no strikers bar Lambert who is knackered?

Poster Y: Borini? Jesus, why all the talk about Borini - he isn't good enough for Liverpool. Now Schurlre - theres a player.

Could we not sell Borini to Sunderland for 10-12m & then get Bony for 19m as he has a buyout clause.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Torres is a silly player to want.

he's been done for at least 2 years, if not more.

go and buy a quality forward player; one we know will do the job. simple as. Arsenal paid a fúckload for Sanchez, but guess what, they will have had no worries about whether it'd work or not.

pay the fúcking money needed for someone who will be guaranteed to make a difference. nothing less.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    A few days ago it was Rafa now some people want Torres back. Need to stop living in the past Torres is a very poor striker now. Don't forget we finished 7th in 09/10 & Torres then sulked after the world cup except against Chelsea.
    Torres returning & most likely flopping would make the club look incredibly stupid in the transfer market again.

FSG aren't going to buy a top quality striker on big wages. Faced with the choice of:

- more Lallana /Markovic bull**** "potential";
    - a Torres for buttons;

I'd rather get the latter. I don't think Rodgers will be here next year so I don't want more of the current transfer policy until the next man is in place and can hopefully influence it positively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »
    Could we not sell Borini to Sunderland for 10-12m & then get Bony for 19m as he has a buyout clause.

Didn't we try the first part of that in the summer and Borini refused to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Lallana has broken ribs for the last few weeks and they tell the world before we play against elbows Fellaini very strange.

So I guess Lallana won't be playing against utd.

FSG aren't going to buy a top quality striker on big wages. Faced with the choice of:

- more Lallana /Markovic bull**** "potential";
    - a Torres for buttons;

I'd rather get the latter. I don't think Rodgers will be here next year so I don't want more of the current transfer policy until the next man is in place and can hopefully influence it positively.

of all our signings, I honestly think slating Lallana as merely bullshít potential is the most misplaced.

he's been good any time he's played; he's just been chopped and changed relentlessly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement