Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

We done well tonight, some good performances from the lads, Toure,Moreno,Can in particular.

Edit: Marcelo has been excellent going forward in both games for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Slattsy wrote: »
    Toure and Lucas the standouts.
    Shout of for Borini too. Ran his ballocks off.

Can was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I defend Allen a fair bit but he was very poor tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Same back four for Chelsea please. Toure has to start ahead of Lovren after that display. Would love to think Can would get a chance too but doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wasn't as enthused about Lucas than others.

Tours was excellent though. Think he had plenty of good games for us last season though, think the Fulham og and WBA pass are always in people's minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Utv lads were saying if we win our next 2 games and beat basel by more than one we are trough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Lucas still plays the DM role better than Gerrard. There I said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

klose wrote: »
    Utv lads were saying if we win our next 2 games and beat basel by more than one we are trough?

Assuming Madrid win all theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

can see Ancelotti, fielding a weak team against Basel tbh... :( if they get a point and we win 2 do we still go through ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mada999 wrote: »
    can see Ancelotti, fielding a weak team against Basel tbh... :( if they get a point and we win 2 do we still go through ?

The final game is at home so Madrid will be on their best behaviour I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Good performance from the lads can only keep improving. Don't like to pick on any one player But we are carrying Allen he is Sh*t and should be offloaded to the first championship side that come in for him totally out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shows how our season has gone when viewing this as a more positive defeat than others recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This would be my team to play Chelsea.

Mignolet

--Manquillo-- Toure-- Lovren--Moreno--

Lucas

Can
    Henderson

Sterling

Borini--- Balotelli

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That performance in terms of effort was the minimum I expect. I don't want to pick on players who worked hard but some names who cost a lot of money are very technically limited.

I think that game made a mockery of the fatalistic 'Real will stuff us' white flag brigade in here. They're not invincible by any stretch. Wonder what Gerrard / Sterling could have offered if they were on for longer...

In your hands with 2 games to play is fair enough with me

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That performance in terms of effort was the minimum I expect. I don't want to pick on players who worked hard but some names who cost a lot of money are very technically limited.

I think that game made a mockery of the fatalistic 'Real will stuff us' white flag brigade in here. They're not invincible by any stretch. Wonder what Gerrard / Sterling could have offered if they were on for longer...

Hard one to know because I ran out of times I counted Lucas making vital tackles. Would Gerrard have been in those areas to make the tackles? Who knows.

For me, I want to see the same effort and more v Chelsea. This time get a result

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hard one to know because I ran out of times I counted Lucas making vital tackles. Would Gerrard have been in those areas to make the tackles? Who knows.

For me, I want to see the same effort and more v Chelsea. This time get a result

Can / Lucas / Gerrard / Hendo

Allen should be behind them in the pecking order imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More balls for Varane to mop up most likely. Lucas keeps it short, plays like a proper DM. Sterling maybe something if he were played centrally rather than on the right. 4-4-2 diamond is regardless of personnel the formation to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gerrard should have come on to play off the striker, pinging long balls up to lallana/borini/sterling is pissing against the wind.

Varane is an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mignolet had a good game in fairness. Probably because he didn't have to deal with many crosses. Just shots. And he can be a good shot stopper when he wants to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Really don't get the Borini love-in. Yes he works hard, but his goal scoring rate for us is appalling.

He probably is tbh. I don't mind him as a squad player though.

I've slated Toure so many times and he was excellent tonight. Guy is a warrior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gerrard should have come on to play off the striker, pinging long balls up to lallana/borini/sterling is pissing against the wind.

Varane is an animal.

An excellent player and I still cannot fathom how that lump Pepe gets in the team ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Apart from the final third I thought technically we were decent, We passed the ball well & had a very young team out.

Really don't get the Borini love-in. Yes he works hard, but his goal scoring rate for us is appalling.

Surely you can see the workrate he puts in. If he had the likes of Sturridge up there with him it'd be a lot better. He has started 2 games this season and has impressed me in both.

Whenever Lucas and Gerrard are on the pitch together it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This is the team I'd like to see against Chelsea.

Mignolet

--Manquillo--Skrtel--Toure--Moreno--

Gerrard

Can
    Henderson

Couthinio

Borini--- Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    In your hands with 2 games to play is fair enough with me

I am with friedal. Expected to be in second place by now.

Obviously delighted to still be in with a shout after losing three games in a row but it's not quite the same thing.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Apart from the final third I thought technically we were decent, We passed the ball well & had a very young team out.

Markovic / Lallana / Borini / Allen struggled with basics tonight. We struggled to make throw ins in their half ever produce possession for us in the second half for example.

Borini tries very hard but is very poor in terms of end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is Gerrard stifling that midfield. Are they afraid of him and just give him the ball instead of trying things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Toure had the game of his life tonight...fantastic performance from him in my eyes. Really proud of the team tonight, didn't expext much from them when the team sheet was first released but I think it's fair to say they surprised everyone. Could've also had one back if Can had squared it across to Borini ;)

Whenever Lucas and Gerrard are on the pitch together it doesn't work.

Look, just don't play Allen unless absolutely necessary. He's physically soft; doesn't have great vision and gives it away cheaply by times. Can / Lucas have to be getting game time ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Charlie19 wrote: »
    This is the team I'd like to see against Chelsea.

Mignolet

--Manquillo--Skrtel--Toure--Moreno--

Gerrard

Can
    Henderson

Couthinio

Borini--- Sterling

Holy sh*t, that is some dog rough awful team. Borini should be no where near the starting 11. A truly appalling scoring record for us. Toure was at fault for the benezema goal for all the good work he did tonight. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

lallana worked tirelessly had a few nice touches but he is very light in fact a lot of Liverpool players are on the light side. Hadn't seen Bale in a while :eek:he is a beast now bulked up. Hope Chelsea don't push us around the weekend another big team.

viper006 wrote: »
    Holy sh*t, that is some dog rough awful team. Borini should be no where near the starting 11. A truly appalling scoring record for us. Toure was at fault for the benezema goal for all the good work he did tonight. No thanks
    A near impossible cross to defend. Toure has to start vs Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Borini should most definitely start alongside Balotelli. As should Toure. The goal was not his fault.

Look, just don't play Allen unless absolutely necessary. He's physically soft; doesn't have great vision and gives it away cheaply by times. Can / Lucas have to be getting game time ahead of him.

And Gerrard doesn't? :confused:

50 yard diagonal balls straight out of play is giving the ball away cheaply and Gerrard does it plenty. If they come off they look great but if they don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Considering they offered nothing when they were on I'm not sure it would have made any difference.

• Advertisement

For Chelsea I would go
    Mignolet
    Manquillo---Skrtel--Lovren--Moreno
    Lucas

Henderson----Can

Gerrard

Sterling
    Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers has a big call to make for the Chelsea game now. Hopefully there is no changes to the back four and Lucas keeps his place in front of them. The biggest question is, does Gerrard go straight back into the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mada999 wrote: »

This is how it works

Liverpool win both games and Real win or draw their's Liverpool go through with a simple win V Basel

Liverpool win both games and Basel beat Real Liverpool need to beat Basel by 2 clear goals to go through

Liverpool draw with Ludogorets and beat Basel, they need Basel to lose to Real too or if Basel draw with Real then Liverpool will need to beat Basel by 2 clear goals to go through

Anything else and they are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

brevity wrote: »
    Borini should most definitely start alongside Balotelli. As should Toure. The goal was not his fault.

Sorry i cant believe things have got to stage after 100m spent we are talking about starting borini and toure against the league leaders and real madrid. Rodgers wont drop lovren for chelsea. I dont rate borini at all but agree its better than balotelli up front on his own.

I cant remember us ever being so toothless up front. We seem to always push chelsea so hoping the players step up.

Interesting tweet from Rodgers press conference.
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 2m2 minutes ago

Rodgers giving clear impression here that players were not necessarily 'rested', but dropped because of performance at Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MD1990 wrote: »
    Interesting tweet from Rodgers press conference.

Lol. Please Brendan. They'll be straight back in the side for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dog rough:D

Borini has been no worse than anyone else we've put out since Sturridge got injured. Kolo looked good tonight and imo he deserves a chance.

Lol. Please. They'll be straight back in the side for Chelsea.
    Gerrard & Sterling will for sure. Wouldn't say the rest of the players will be certain starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Milkers wrote: »
    Lucas still plays the DM role better than Gerrard. There I said it.

No doubt about it.

In fact he's the best DM at the club and i didn't need tonight's performance to prove that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Joe Allen is a fairly pointless player, out injured most of the time then decidedly average when fit. Waste of a squad place imo. Rodgers replacing Lucas with Gerrard to sit in the DM role when we needed a goal was very uninspiring.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement