Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That United team, West Ham and Southampton are in the top 5...it is a poor year.

And what do they all have in common?

Goalscorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

These Americans are absolutely gutless.
    GET RID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

marno21 wrote: »
    This weekend last year.. How things have changed :(

5N2wbR9.jpg

Funnily enough the match AVB lost his job after....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not too surprised with the thread going into meltdown but that game actually gave us some encouragement.

Yup that's what I said, I await people losing it over something like that being said but that's the most creative we've been all season. Today we were actually able to create a lot of chances.

The Jones experiment is now over anyway. He was shocking, worse than Mignolet has been all season. Where the hell was he for the 1st and last goal? Crazy decision making.

Jones, Lovren and Allen out for the next match at least for Mignolet, Toure and Balotelli.

I kinda agree with this, then remember that the defence was Carrick, Evans and Phil da face....any team will create chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Yeah, he looks a beast. Surely should replace Allen or Henderson? Maybe not replacing Hendo as hes just been made VC by BR

That didn't work out too well for Daniel Agger!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Only positive from today is Mignolet finally kept a clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what anyone expected.

The game was pretty predictable.

We have very little ability to score and Utd are ruthless in front of goal.

Some people need a serious reality check. Even with Utd playing this poorly in 2/3 of the pitch, they're a better team than us. Arsenal probably are as well - it'll probably be much the same story next week.

You could nit-pick about the 11 starters but it really wasn't the problem today.

We didn't have any useful strikers available - Lambert just isn't good enough and I doubt Balotelli was fit.
    Jones didn't really put a foot wrong and Mignolet has been terrible.

You could argue that Moreno is too prone to switching off and I think that cost us today but all that would've changed was the magnitude of the loss.

Gerrard is a persistent problem, and he was a waste of a shirt in the first half especially, but he didn't make De Gea pull off worldies or our attackers miss chances.

The same facile arguments about the starting 11 are going to surface as they did against Basle but I don't think Rodger's selection has been a telling factor in either of the 2 games.

We don't have the players available to be able to expect to win against a team like Utd or Arsenal, regardless of the venue. Winning any game is going to be a struggle if you don't have any goal threat.

Are Aston Villa, Newcastle, Palace, Basel and West Ham just better than us too and we shouldn't expect anything better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Watching Liverpool of late reminds me of how I used to feel watching Ireland playing under Trapattoni. Over-reliance on 1 or 2 players, serious lack of confidence with some players on the ball, stupid defensive errors, wasting scoring opportunities....it goes on and on.

The other similarity was when we score and then have a nail-biting match remainder while we allow opposition on...if they haven't already scored a few!

Really hope BR set's out a concrete plan for next season NOW...admit where we are at and bring players in Jan & Summer.

Fans ranting sack the manager after a poor third of a season is appalling to see imo, the chap gets no credit for a teams overperformance but the knives are out when they underperform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think we had that many clear chances at OT last season when we won 3-0. Albeit we had finishers in the team then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rodgers has two games to save his season - by save I mean finish in the top half of the table and have a chance of winning a cup (which is about what plenty reckoned was good enough for Kenny Dalglish to stay in the job). If both are lost its very hard to see why FSG should feel the need to stick with him. Their best hope might be that a Europe free season next time will give him the chance to fix what went wrong if that works then you'd have to hope Rodgers is better able for three games a week the next time Liverpool are in the CL/EL.

Some might hope this seasons EL will offer redemption but I'd not fancy LFC getting past Roma, Ajax, Sporting, Wolfsburg, Sevilla, Napoli, Kyiv etc

Augeo wrote: »
    Fans ranting sack the manager after a poor third of a season is appalling to see imo, the chap gets no credit for a teams overperformance but the knives are out when they underperform.

Because for the majority of his tenure we've underperformed and he seems utterly incapable of addressing and fixing basic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Was the winter transfer window 11/12 the last time we signed an actual starting XI player?? (I know lovren is technically a starter now but I am loathe to count him...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He got loads of credit last season. It's in the past. We're **** NOW and it looks like he's unable to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Most of us had been blinded by the brilliance of Suarez, now he is gone, we see Mr Rogers for what he is.

• Advertisement

Mignolet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

As bad as things are right now it would be pointless sacking Rodgers now without a decent manager available. But he should be given no more money in the transfer market. In all honesty he should never have been given the job in the first place.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Mignolet?

He's not great but at least he usually manages to dive in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brad Jones hilarious stuff really, appears to have zero positional sense. I played in goals AUL Div Z and I think Jones has less positional ability than me. First goal was just ridiculous from him, making a guess from a shot that far out.

Mario looked sharp, looked interested, looked lively, looked as if he cared. He's the one major positive from the game which gives hope for the next 3 weeks. Obviously being Mario he could be back to not give a toss mode quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I really don't get these absurd posts at this stage. How anyone can defend the performance s this season and how we are going bad to worse is truly beyond me . We are dire with a fortune spent . The players on that pitch looked a shadow of last season. Something it very wrong at the moment

It's just way off saying Rodgers wasn't given credit last season. He was given plenty and recognised across the board for it . Frankly today was the last straw for me after CL exit earlier.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because for the majority of his tenure we've underperformed and he seems utterly incapable of addressing and fixing basic problems.

Overperformed for all of last season.... When he first came in the team didn't underperformed.

Underperforming for the majority of his tenure is a bullsh1t statement... Voice of reason... Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You've said this a lot and its just not true. The second half of his first season we played very good and certainly didn't underperform. Last season we didnt underperform. So for the first half of his first season and this season we have underperformed. That is not a majority.

That being said, he does seem incapable of fixing basic problems and its becoming a worry. I wont be calling for his head but at this stage I can see why a lot would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We're going nowhere without a world class central mid (Pogba) or a prolific striker (Lacazette).

So we'll end up signing Karl Henry and Billy Sharp in January.

Off to give United a pasting in FIFA, see you all Wednesday for more misery the Bournemouth game.

viper006 wrote: »
    I really don't get these absurd posts at this stage. How anyone can defend the performance s this season and how we are going bad to worse is truly beyond me . We are dire with a fortune spent . The players on that pitch looked a shadow of last season. Something it very wrong at the moment

It's just way off saying Rodgers wasn't given credit last season. He was given plenty and recognised across the board for it . Frankly today was the last straw for me after CL exit earlier.

Do you have difficulty with reading.... I stated the team is underperforming this season so far, a third ish of the season. I'm not defending any performances.

He's not great but at least he usually manages to dive in the right direction.

He probably would have scored that chance after rounding their keeper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Brad Jones to continue as your keeper. thats a brave call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

martyos121 wrote: »
    Off to give United a pasting in FIFA

I hope they batter you :pac:

Not actually true. Its about 50/50 at this point and the "overperformance" last season was well over what was hoped for.

Yes he does seem clueless in a crisis though. Clearly it never even occurred to him that Sturridge could be injured or that certain players would need intensive coaching be it individually (Mig) or as units (the centre-backs).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Dropping Migs was a big mistake. I was surprised to hear it in the beginning because Jones has had **** all game time this season, and it showed. The first and third goals were horrendous. I think that's the kind of shots Migs would have saved although lately I just don't know.

Sterling and Balo starting up front together would have caused problems. 1 up front isn't working and our goals scored this season shows.

Rodgers loses to Arsenal and I'd say that's it. FSG pull the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Brad Jones to continue as your keeper. thats a brave call

It's an utterly stupid call but that's where we're at right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Players on the pitch need to take a serious good look at themselves. No matter how good or bad a manager is when players keep making stupid decisions and playing like pony's then there is sometimes not alot you can do ...

Goal 1
    - Lallana/Allen for goal 1. Unforgiveable that these are 2 international players allowing them both to be beaten by Valencia. Added then was Moreno not breaking his ballix to get back from his attack.
    - Coutinho for not following Rooney for the goal.
    ... that's 4 players all making stupid decisions that lead to one goal.

Goal 2
    - Letting Ashley Young, one of the poorest excuses of a winger in the Premier League get the cross in.
    - Whomever lost to RVP in the air for the flick.
    - Linesman played a blinder.

Goal 3
    - Toure going on a mazzey dribble into nomans land and losing the ball. No holding player capable of moving into a better position in case we turnover possession. Then of course Lovren, 25million worth of player unable to clear a ball that ANY sunday league player would have eaten up.

Couple of things sticking in my mind after todays game. Gerard and Hendo are horrendus when you take into account these 2 are our Captain and VC. They should be leading from the front. Always aggressive always gaining yards and leading by an example fitting of LFC. Other than Sterling and in part Coutinho the rest of that team should hang their heads the way they are under performing. You could see what it ment to Sterling at the final Whistle ... Lastly ... Rodgers, no striker when Ballotelli looked decent for a 60 min stint. Fit enough to come off the bench ... fit enough to start.

... that said. We created a fist full of chances against what is lets be honest a really poor United team. Probably the worst United team we've faced in 20 years. Thats the biggest sickener here ... you can look at it 2 ways - they have just won 6 games on the trot and are a real poor outfit so it doesn't take alot to turn the team around and go on a run. Or ... if they are that bad what does that make us?

NukaCola wrote: »
    You've said this a lot and its just not true. The second half of his first season we played very good and certainly didn't underperform. Last season we didnt underperform. So for the first half of his first season and this season we have underperformed. That is not a majority.

That being said, he does seem incapable of fixing basic problems and its becoming a worry. I wont be calling for his head but at this stage I can see why a lot would.
    Not actually true. Its about 50/50 at this point and the "overperformance" last season was well over what was hoped for.

Yes he does seem clueless in a crisis though. Clearly it never even occurred to him that Sturridge could be injured or that certain players would need intensive coaching be it individually (Mig) or as units (the centre-backs).

Okay, I'll concede that it's about 50 / 50.

Still though, that's not really a point in his favour. It was bad and then we were rejoicing that he'd turned it around now we're in the **** again. It's hard at this point to not conclude that the biggest part of last season was Suarez and the manager was just along for the ride.

And finally, when he has a sacking like Reading in his past after he crumbled in a similar situation it makes it easy to conclude that his recent selections are proof of ineptitude rather than some great higher level football mind at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lose against Arsenal and I think BR will be gone. I said I'd give him the season and I stand by that but I wouldn't blame any owner from sacking the manager with 17 games gone and just 21 points on the board after the money spent in the summer.

I would think he's lost a good chunk of the fan base and to be honest, with good cause. Out of the CL, well behind top 3 and barring a shocking return to form top 4 is probably gone too. Players look lost, cant score cant defend, sticking with underperforming players, not playing the players we spent big money on enough, not starting with any strikers, having no strikers on the bench.......just mad stuff really.

I dont know if its fixable or if BR can do it. 5 games ago I would still have thought he'd turn it around. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problems at the club go much further than rodgers. Our net investment in the team is not sufficient and our failure to offer the wages needed will always see us shopping at a couple of levels below we need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The way the players are playing I wonder have they lost faith in Rodgers as well.

The way he has treated some of the players is a disgrace and the other players can see this and must wonder are they next.

A bad result or even scraping a win midweek and lose next weekend he has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People keep talking about how much we've spent but in all honesty we haven't spent that much. Not compared to those we're trying to compete with and the fact that we're trying to replace a top 3 player in the world.

That being said the team selection today was super confusing. Tho we didn't play that badly tbh. Tho we're a joke at the back still. That HAS to be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Players on the pitch need to take a serious good look at themselves. No matter how good or bad a manager is when players keep making stupid decisions and playing like pony's then there is sometimes not alot you can do ...

Goal 1
    - Lallana/Allen for goal 1. Unforgiveable that these are 2 international players allowing them both to be beaten by Valencia. Added then was Moreno not breaking his ballix to get back from his attack.
    - Coutinho for not following Rooney for the goal.
    ... that's 4 players all making stupid decisions that lead to one goal.

Goal 2
    - Letting Ashley Young, one of the poorest excuses of a winger in the Premier League get the cross in.
    - Whomever lost to RVP in the air for the flick.
    - Linesman played a blinder.

Goal 3
    - Toure going on a mazzey dribble into nomans land and losing the ball. No holding player capable of moving into a better position in case we turnover possession. Then of course Lovren, 25million worth of player unable to clear a ball that ANY sunday league player would have eaten up.

Couple of things sticking in my mind after todays game. Gerard and Hendo are horrendus when you take into account these 2 are our Captain and VC. They should be leading from the front. Always aggressive always gaining yards and leading by an example fitting of LFC. Other than Sterling and in part Coutinho the rest of that team should hang their heads the way they are under performing. You could see what it ment to Sterling at the final Whistle ... Lastly ... Rodgers, no striker when Ballotelli looked decent for a 60 min stint. Fit enough to come off the bench ... fit enough to start.

... that said. We created a fist full of chances against what is lets be honest a really poor United team. Probably the worst United team we've faced in 20 years. Thats the biggest sickener here ... you can look at it 2 ways - they have just won 6 games on the trot and are a real poor outfit so it doesn't take alot to turn the team around and go on a run. Or ... if they are that bad what does that make us?

Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Who would you like to replace Rodgers?
    If he was to go I would like Rudi Garcia but thats unlikely. Maybe try for De Boer?

Just noticed that Rodgers has said that Brad Jones will continue in goal from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hes in a position now where its his team. Hes had the time to get rid of the players he doesn't want and bring in the ones he does. Unfortunately the signs are pointing to the team degrading the more it becomes Rogers'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    People keep talking about how much we've spent but in all honesty we haven't spent that much. Not compared to those we're trying to compete with and the fact that we're trying to replace a top 3 player in the world.

That being said the team selection today was super confusing. Tho we didn't play that badly tbh. Tho we're a joke at the back still. That HAS to be fixed.

We've being saying this for 2 and a half seasons though. That's the worrying thing

MD1990 wrote: »
    If he was to go I would like Rudi Garcia but thats unlikely. Maybe try for De Boer?

Klopp was my first choice when Rodgers got the job and he would be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I see Brendan is now saying that we did enough to win in that game.....Eh Brendan we lost 3-0!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He won't leave Dortmund atm with the position they are in. I wonder would Kenny come in as a caretaker if Rodgers is gone soon?

Another player added to the pissed off with the manager list I think.

https://twitter.com/DTguardian/status/544158696889389056

• Advertisement

No manager that anyone would really want is going to leave for Liverpool mid season. It would be quite remarkable for the club to sack a manager now unless they knew they had a top replacement. They won't be calling KD again! Maybe they could get Alex Inglethorpe to stand in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Nah Klopp wouldnt go for a mid-table EPL team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just noticed that Rodgers has said that Brad Jones will continue in goal from now on.

He has lost the ****ing mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lose against Arsenal and I think BR will be gone. I said I'd give him the season and I stand by that but I wouldn't blame any owner from sacking the manager with 17 games gone and just 21 points on the board after the money spent in the summer.

I would think he's lost a good chunk of the fan base and to be honest, with good cause. Out of the CL, well behind top 3 and barring a shocking return to form top 4 is probably gone too. Players look lost, cant score cant defend, sticking with underperforming players, not playing the players we spent big money on enough, not starting with any strikers, having no strikers on the bench.......just mad stuff really.

I dont know if its fixable or if BR can do it. 5 games ago I would still have thought he'd turn it around. Now I'm not so sure.

Realistically he probably has until Janaury 1st. Gives the new manager/assitant 9 days between Premier league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

He won't leave Dortmund atm with the position they are in. I wonder would Kenny come in as a caretaker if Rodgers is gone soon?

He will also be the next Germany manager in 2017 when his contract runs out in with BVB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement