Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Augeo wrote: »
    Fans ranting sack the manager after a poor third of a season is appalling to see imo, .

Its been a full CL season for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

We are absolutely pathetic. One of the worst teams to ever grace the champions league and our performances this season have been mid table fodder. Last season was an anomaly with the best player in the world destroying teams and dragging everyone else along by the bootstraps. Rodgers is an absolute spoofer. I'd love to see rafa back. He wouldn't tolerate this ineptitude and would pick up a few tasty pieces in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No manager that anyone would really want is going to leave for Liverpool mid season. It would be quite remarkable for the club to sack a manager now unless they knew they had a top replacement. They won't be calling KD again! Maybe they could get Alex Inglethorpe to stand in ;)

Gerrard player manager we all know you'd love that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Jones/Mignolet thing is ****ing bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Another player added to the pissed off with the manager list I think.

https://twitter.com/DTguardian/status/544158696889389056

Bad call after bad call.....

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The Jones/Mignolet thing is ****ing bizarre.

People were asking for Mignolet to be dropped? Why is it so odd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

NoelJ wrote: »

Nobody and I repeat nobody asked for Migs to be dropped for this match. Especially when Jones is so short on game time this season (1 match).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Jones is ****ing awful and 2 or 3 levels below him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gerrard player manager we all know you'd love that :p

That would bury the club. Carra as his number two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

NukaCola wrote: »
    Jones is ****ing awful and 2 or 3 levels below him.

Loi standard

• Advertisement

So £50m in players from last summer now dropped add that to most of this summers £120m transfers can't get a game.

That is £170m worth of players Rodgers has dropped or doesn't want!

What a Fcuking joke!

Goal 2
    - Letting Ashley Young, one of the poorest excuses of a winger in the Premier League get the cross in.
    - Whomever lost to RVP in the air for the flick.
    - Linesman played a blinder.

Linesman excuse doesn't cut it for me tbh. Mata was sloppy is going offside but the reality is he didn't need too. He wasn't being marked. Moreno let walk by him and was ball watching. Mata could just as easily have stayed onside and still scored the goal.RVP getting a touch on the ball doesn't absolve the defence.

At the end of the day , the buck stops with the man in charge. No club is going to release the whole squad on a free at the end of a season and back the manager to buy a whole new one. Team does poorly for extended period , manager goes. He kept/bought the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'd love to see rafa back. He wouldn't tolerate this ineptitude and would pick up a few tasty pieces in the transfer market.

And he'd fall out with half the players, slate the owners for not giving him enough money (Like he's done at Valencia, Inter and Napoli as well as Liverpool the first time), play turgid football and struggle to beat the mid-table teams.

No thanks.

There are better managers than Benitez we should try and get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So £50m in players from last summer now dropped add that to most of this summers £120m transfers can't get a game.

That is £170m worth of players Rodgers has dropped or doesn't want!

What a Fcuking joke!

Bar maybe can what has a single one of them done to justify starting consistently?

This summer we behaved like a small club we went searching for value. Be it in wages or future sell on fee. Man United did the opposite and added to an already decent but under performing squad.

Value doesn't get you to the top in today's game, value gets you midtable. The top players command the best wages and until we pay them we can forget about catching city, Chelsea, Arsenal and united.

Theres a LC game coming up. I'd say everyone would have been happy to give Jones a go in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

And he'd fall out with half the players, slate the owners for not giving him enough money (Like he's done at Valencia, Inter and Napoli as well as Liverpool the first time), play turgid football and struggle to beat the mid-table teams.

No thanks.

There are better managers than Benitez we should try and get.

First you are talking about Hicks and Gillette, you are clueless
    Secondly, 4-1 at Old Trafford, 4-0 vs Madrid to name just a few,
    Turgid football indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

rob316 wrote: »
    The problems at the club go much further than rodgers. Our net investment in the team is not sufficient and our failure to offer the wages needed will always see us shopping at a couple of levels below we need to be.

I don't trust Rodgers with signings anymore tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We havent beaten a decent team this year so far.

We struggle against the lower placed teams.

Rodgers had no faith in Ballotelli or Lambert by not starting them.

Our defence is a shambles.

Sterling couldnt cope with being up front hes a winger.

Things are not going to get better.

Rodgers has to go.

Theres a LC game coming up. I'd say everyone would have been happy to give Jones a go in that.

And if he made a few mistakes today like he generally does rodgers would be crucified in here for persisting with him. You cant blame him for dropping mignolet he has to try to stop the rot through change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Positives anyone?

Markovic is beginning to show that he can be a good player for us. He is fast with and without the ball and I love his directness.

We created many clear cut chances for the first time since Spurs.

The high pressing is beginning to come back.

I'm confident we will win during the week and well. I'd like to see these players lining up.
    Mig
    Manquillo Toure Sakho Enrique
    Lucas Can
    Markovic Coutinho Lallana
    Sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

We are absolutely pathetic. One of the worst teams to ever grace the champions league and our performances this season have been mid table fodder. Last season was an anomaly with the best player in the world destroying teams and dragging everyone else along by the bootstraps. Rodgers is an absolute spoofer. I'd love to see rafa back. He wouldn't tolerate this ineptitude and would pick up a few tasty pieces in the transfer market.

The best player in the World , LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

First you are talking about Hicks and Gillette, you are clueless
    Secondly, 4-1 at Old Trafford, 4-0 vs Madrid to name just a few,
    Turgid football indeed :rolleyes:

And the owners at Valencia, Inter and even at Napoli, where he had spent a small fortune and finished below where Napoli had finished the season before he arrived...so he has form in that regard.

And a couple of one off results does not change the fact that bar one season we were out of the title race by October.

We can do better than Benitez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Positives anyone?

Markovic is beginning to show that he can be a good player for us. He is fast with and without the ball and I love his directness.

The high pressing is beginning to come back.

I'm confident we will win during the week and well. I'd like to see these players lining up.
    Mig
    Manquillo Toure Sakho Enrique
    Lucas Can
    Markovic Coutinho Lallana
    Sterling

There was no positves.

Arsenal are going to beat us next Sunday.

klose wrote: »
    I don't trust Rodgers with signings anymore tbh.

He hasn't signed half these players. Put it this way if the board said to him in the summer

"Brendan would you like to beef out the squad with 9 players or would you like 3 top international players?"

He would have picked option 2 and your fooling yourself if you think otherwise. He has said as much in the past too with reference to Tottenham......but wait he's a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Playing without a recognised striker for half the game ? Lambert would have converted a few of those chances.

Rodgers has not got a clue what is going on. Hopefully Arsenal will do us all a favour and deliver the fatal blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rafa wouldn't be the man. He has done poorly at Napoli & Inter. A very good tactitian & did a great job previously but not good enough in the transfer market. His defensive style doesn't work as well anymore either imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ebbsy wrote: »
    Playing without a recognised striker for half the game ? Lambert would have converted a few of those chances.

Rodgers has not got a clue what is going on. Hopefully Arsenal will do us all a favour and deliver the fatal blow.

Lambert wouldn't have been getting those chances. He might have scored the header but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There is a lot to be said for having a manager that makes the team better than the sum of its parts. I don't think Rodgers is that manager. The players need to take responsibility but I don't think the know what to do really. Rodgers I feel could be overcomplicating his instructions.

I'd take Rafa back but only with a strong number two. Paco or Meulenstene maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Thought we deserved to win today. But what is Jones doing in goal. Obviously has no heart if he's happy to play no.2 for four years. He doesn't care. And he looks like Ryan Tubridy as well.

But put Reina in and Toure in defence. Get a Sturridge back and I think we will finish in 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Are Aston Villa, Newcastle, Palace, Basel and West Ham just better than us too and we shouldn't expect anything better?

Rodgers has ongoing issues, specifically, his use of Lovren and Gerrard and his lack of use of some of the new signings and they've contributed to the season and the games you've mentioned.

However, they're not the root cause. You can make mistakes and have weaknesses as a manager. We weren't flawless last season but you're doing something right if you get 84 pts.
    Plenty used to moan about some of Rafa's idiosyncrasies as well. Having flaws doesn't mean you need to get the sack.

The key problem is that we've failed to sign that 1 player - a proper understudy to Sturridge who can fulfil the same role in the squad. It's a tactical necessity.

My problem with the Rodgers out brigade is that it's a situation that I think could've happened with anyone at the helm, particularly given the setup FSG have implemented and our inability to attract the highest calibre of players.

We need a striker in January, regardless of who's in charge. If we get that right and then we find Rodgers' management of the squad is still holding us back then I'd advocate a change.

And if we don't get January right the whole way we do transfers has to be axed. If you can't address such a glaringly obvious weakness when you've this much time and it's so vital then you can't do your job.

In general, I think we need to solve the huge problem first. It's a bit like the 80/20 thing. You do the most straight-forward change first that'll make the biggest impact.

Anyway, I don't see what's to be gained by sacking Rodgers now. We're not going to overhaul the squad, probably at any stage, but certainly not in January. We 3rd favourites for 4th at the start of the season and whether Rodgers is sacked now, February or never, we're going to stay outsiders, even if the window goes well.

• Advertisement

He hasn't signed half these players.

How do you know that for a fact?

He has stated as fact himself that he has the final say on who gets signed.

MrAlan posted linked to those yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Bar maybe can what has a single one of them done to justify starting consistently?

This summer we behaved like a small club we went searching for value. Be it in wages or future sell on fee. Man United did the opposite and added to an already decent but under performing squad.

Value doesn't get you to the top in today's game, value gets you midtable. The top players command the best wages and until we pay them we can forget about catching city, Chelsea, Arsenal and united.

Well said unless were going to do it right, I think its the time the owners re-assess their expectations if they insist on us continuing with this small club mentality in the transfer market. At the moment the type of player were targeting is that of a Team pushing for a finish in the top half or a Europa League place. Our expectations of the team are a stark contrast to how were behaving in the transfer market

their deluded if they think signing players like Lovren, Manquillo(2nd choice Atletico defender) and Lambert are going to do for Champions League football and making the next step

Rafa is not the man going forward to bring in as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rafa wouldn't be the man. He has done poorly at Napoli & Inter. A very good tactitian & did a great job previously but not good enough in the transfer market. His defensive style doesn't work as well anymore either imo.

Plus he sold Keane. Not very clever.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

The problem is doing it with 1 less midfielder and 1 more striker. Unless we can play with 12...............

Robbie Keane would be a shrewd signing until Origi comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Gits_bone wrote: »

5 years ago?? Yes. Now??? Not a hope, hes well past it at this level unless your a team looking for a top half finish. Time to get real

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    5 years ago?? Yes. Now??? Not a hope, hes well past it at this level unless your a team looking for a top half finish. Time to get real

He's a finisher. Make the chances for him that Sterling had and he'd have put them away..

I'm_Out_Of_Here.gif

ebbsy wrote: »
    Plus he sold Keane. Not very clever.
    He didn't want Keane. But his treatment of him was disgraceful & don't forget he wanted to sell Alonso for Gareth Barry lol. He did a great job though but if I was looking for a new manager there transfer record would be my #1 prioroty. Rudi Garcia would be a very good manager imo.

• Advertisement

I'm_Out_Of_Here.gif

What do you suggest?

We need short term solution because Studge and Origi and Balo will still be there next season...

What do you suggest?

We need short term solution because Studge and Origi and Balo will still be there next season...
    Wouldn't be too sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Augeo wrote: »
    Fans ranting sack the manager after a poor third of a season is appalling to see imo, the chap gets no credit for a teams overperformance but the knives are out when they underperform.

This is such a simplistic pot shot. It seems to be constantly dragged up as well by you. The only Liverpool manager I haven't been behind till the end is Hodsgon and that includes Kenny. This isn't for some just throwing the toys of the pram. I have serious doubt's about him as a manager which he hasn't dispelled but only keeps compounding mistakes. That stat about the number of goal we have conceded per game is shocking.

Apart from setting a team up with huge firepower to get the best out of two of the worlds best players his tactical ability seems limited. I never go into games as an underdog team feeling like we can turn them over. His selection decisions have been very strange and he week in week out keeps faith with the same underperforming faces. His transfer record is very poor. If you really want I will give a much more detailed breakdown some other time as I'm heading out and don't really have the time. The fact though is almost every facet of his tenure at the moment is cause for complaint versus keeping faith based on last season. The knifes are out not because he's underperforming but the fact he looks completely lost with no ideas to turn things around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm against Rafa coming back as manager (I think!), but a couple of nonsense points above;

1) he is doing decent at Napoli
    2) his record in the transfer market was very good at Liverpool. His record was pretty much 50/50 which is very good. And he was working under genuine financial restrictions & difficulties
    3) Rafa's teams are capable of playing some sexy football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Man U fan here. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the main reasons your playing like this is the massive confidence blow of losing the title the way ye did last season.

We had a similar loss at the end of 2011-12 but Fergie ensured we cantered to the title the following season by signing Kagawa and Van Persie and instilling confidence back in the team and making them believe again.

I just feel Rodgers is not big enough to do this and as a result all confidence has drained from the team. Sterling had two sitters today and hit two tamely hit shots at De Gea. That's syptomatic of a player with zero confidence unfortunately.

They aren't gonna take a loss on him at this stage..

And you'd only be looking around 8m for him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

That 'awesome' feeling you get after you spend 215m and you end up having a Hodgson signing marshaling between the sticks over Christmas 4 years on.

Gonna have to treat myself to a nice bottle of Suntory Hibiki 17yr old to get through to January.

What do you suggest?

Dunno really as the money is unknown.

Agree, doubt Ballotelli will see July at Liverpool

daithijjj wrote: »
    That 'awesome' feeling you get after you spend 215m and you end up having a Hodgson signing marshaling between the sticks over Christmas 4 years on.

Gonna have to treat myself to a nice bottle of Suntory Hibiki 17yr old to get through to January.

Mignolet must hope he gets sold. Embarassing getting dropped for Jones.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm against Rafa coming back as manager (I think!), but a couple of nonsense points above;

1) he is doing decent at Napoli
    2) his record in the transfer market was very good at Liverpool. His record was pretty much 50/50 which is very good. And he was working under genuine financial restrictions & difficulties
    3) Rafa's teams are capable of playing some sexy football
    :confused: Thats why he was near the sack after getting knocked by Bilbao in qualifying last August & is behind Sampdoria & Genoa this season. He signed Michu & David Lopez last summer both have done nothing & also overpaid for Albiol who has been a disater for them. He isn't doing a really bad job but Id say it would be below average don't forget 2 years ago they were the main challengers to Juventus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement