Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

20 million for Lovren? We were had.

8 million more and we could have activated Diego Godin's release clause and probably trebled his wages.

Pay £28m for a 28 year old? Don't be silly, he's far too old and established for us to be interested in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Augmerson wrote: »
    Giving Rodgers more money would be a mistake. He is marginalizing the squad right now (Borini, Migs appears to be the next) and sold off players we could have used this season as backup (Reina, Agger).

Why give him more money? He has failed to address key failings in the squad for some time now.

I thought people want Migs gone. You can say dropping him was bad in fact he probably should have done it earlier then maybe he would have come back better and stronger by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Kevin Strootman would be a great signing for us too but no we wont target him either which makes no sense. He was injured for a while and I dont see that he'd cost an arm and a leg either in transfer fees and wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

20 million for Lovren? We were had.

8 million more and we could have activated Diego Godin's release clause and probably trebled his wages.

Could have got Miranda too - bringing both Atletico CB's to Anfield.

Or what about a Marquinho, Badstuber, Varane?

Liverpool got f*cked over in the transfer window...don't know who was sanctioning these buys but what a f*cking mess it's turned into....

Dayum wrote: »

Liverpool got f*cked over in the transfer window...don't know who was sanctioning these buys but what a f*cking mess it's turned into....

Personally I blame the owners and their moneyball policy which clearly is never going to work

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Kevin Strootman would be a great signing for us too but no we wont target him either which makes no sense. He was injured for a while and I dont see that he'd cost an arm and a leg either in transfer fees and wages

Chesterfield have a better chance of signing Strootman than Liverpool.

He wants to play for Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Lads this is not football manager. How much more money does Rodgers think he will get to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Its pretty obvious Rodgers is not coaching the players defensively. He has bought numerous players to sort out the defence but nothing has improved since he came in. He talked about needing a leader at the back last year but he has numerous international captains playing at CB and they look hopeless for us yet can look very good for their international teams. Throwing money at players is not working maybe its time he replaced his coaching staff if he is staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Strootman if fully fit would be a fantastic addition to any squad in the premier league however he would cost an arm and a league based on the comments of Roma when United were being linked with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

mav79 wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious Rodgers is not coaching the players defensively. He has bought numerous players to sort out the defence but nothing has improved since he came in. He talked about needing a leader at the back last year but he has numerous international captains playing at CB and they look hopeless for us yet can look very good for their international teams. Throwing money at players is not working maybe its time he replaced his coaching staff if he is staying.

Who is the defensive coach. I am sure he has to work on Rodgers game plan but you think basic defending 101 would be in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

He's not getting anymore money, nor should he. Im not sure what that means with regards to strengthening the team though because we badly need it. Might mean someone at the club going over his head to bring in players and there's only one way this is all going to end if it comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dayum wrote: »

It's that f!cking Moneyball bolloxology imported from the States.

Atletico Madrid faced a similar situation to us this summer - they lost not one but three key players.

They went out an replaced them quite well. It's taken Mandzukic a few weeks to adapt to La Liga but he's starting to click now. Same with their other signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is the defensive coach. I am sure he has to work on Rodgers game plan but you think basic defending 101 would be in anyway

Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Fear not. Rodgers is in talks to sign this defender:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Zak Flaps wrote: »

That's clearly Martin Skrtel

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Mignolet has been poor but Jones is worse, his positioning for all three goals was poor.

I hope when Rodgers says that Jones will continue in goal, that it will only be until January when we sign someone decent - the Italian young keeper at Genoa for example.

As for the game we had far the better of it in terms of chances, indeed we created more openings in this game than we have in the last four of five games yet Balotelli, Sterling and Henderson all missed up to 8 or 9 good chances, you can't go zero for 9 in chance conversion especially when you have the keystone cops at the back. If Sturridge had been playing today we probably would have won comfortably - shows you what a difference a clinical goalscorer can make to a team.

I wasn't surprised by how poor United were as even their own fans have been saying they have been stealing results recently - however it's a shocking indictment of how bad we are at the moment that we lose to a very average side 3-0 the illegal goal notwithstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Looks like we have Jones to look forward to in the next few games. Digging his own grave.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30471299

Someone's lined up for January.

Zak Flaps wrote: »

...better than Lovren at least.

Frank de Boer has always shown loyalty to Ajax and has been insistent that he will not leave them till his work is done bout his brother Ronald has just said that he would definately listen to Liverpool should they come calling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Bear in mind the other side to this - the question of transfers in January. I could not blame FSG if they refuse to sanction funds to Rodgers and, in such a case, it would mean he's a dead duck manager.

If that was the case I'd like Kenny to be brought in just to stabilise things under explicit public knowledge that he's out at the end of the season no matter what happens. That would take the heat off and give FSG time to get a candidate they are happy to back in the summer.

Kenny Dalglish? That's like out of the frying pan and into the fire. No just no and I don't think he would come in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Can anyone tell me why we've changed from playing 4-4-2 last season to 4-5-1 this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Look at what Pardews done a Newcastle recently. A few months ago he was favourite to be sacked, then he somehow turned things around. Has Rodgers got the ability to do likewise? He was Manager of the Season last year after all!

Frogdog wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why we've changed from playing 4-4-2 last season to 4-5-1 this season?

The only reason we played with 2 up front last season was because we had two goal scorers.

When Rodgers first arrived he played 1 up front he tried one up front when we had Sturridge and Luis at first with Luis or Sturridge on the wing.

The only reason he went 2 up top was because he couldn't drop either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Frogdog wrote: »

No suarez no Sturridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Who is the assistant manager? Have they the balls to say to Rodgers "here this isn't working, why don't we give this a go?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did someone actually suggest Tony f*cking Pulis??

LOL.

Who is the assistant manager? Have they the balls to say to Rodgers "here this isn't working, why don't we give this a go?"

Colin Pascoe.

No.

Colin Pascoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Colin Pascoe followed him from Swansea, doubt he'd have the balls to say something like that

rob316 wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish? That's like out of the frying pan and into the fire. No just no and I don't think he would come in either.

Well you can't have Rodgers as a caretaker and that's what he'll be without funds in January. I think it will be hard to find someone willing to come in short term who is happy to sit and wait while FSG look for a long term successor.

Either way, Rodgers won't be around for long so people need to start thinking about what comes next.

• Advertisement

Look at what Pardews done a Newcastle recently. A few months ago he was favourite to be sacked, then he somehow turned things around. Has Rodgers got the ability to do likewise? He was Manager of the Season last year after all!

Reading experience indicates no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Reading experience indicates no

Would you rather see Alex McLeish, Chris Hughton or Steve Clark try to turn it around because they are our realistic options

Pardew at least changed things up he gave young players a chance.

By all accounts he doesn't like or get on with Cisse but still plays him because he needs goals.

He doesn't blacklist players he uses them to keep his job and prove critics wrong.

I can't stand Pardew but he is fighting to keep his job.

Rodgers doesn't look or seem to be doing any of what Pardew is doing.

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Would you rather see Alex McLeish, Chris Hughton or Steve Clark try to turn it around because they are our realistic options

No they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

No they are not.

Expectations of Frank de Boer, Klopp or Simeone are deluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think with sturridge out and balotelli not doing the business, it has resulted in Rodgers doing a lot of changes to try and balance the team and make up for it. There is no proven finisher in the team at this moment, that was evident today more than ever.

I honestly feel like there is still some serious defensive work to be done, but when sturridge is back in the squad and hopefully some other proven finisher brought in we will be much more dangerous.

Sterling is great at breaking through but his final ball is terrible at the moment. I have faith in Rodgers i do think that if we had Sturridge most of the season we would be in a much better position.

Any idea when Sturridge is due back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rodgers is likely in charge until the end of the season anyway. Think talk of him being sacked this week or next is a bit fanciful. Who the feck takes over then? I don't see Kenny coming back again.

Rodgers will likely get until the end of the season while FSG quietly sound out interested parties early in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No they are not.

Who would be a realistic manager, for a team that looks like it got carried by 2 players last year and are in 9th with their worst points since 1964, with the manager of the season from last year.

I'd prefer to give Unai Emery the job with Clark as AM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Evening folks, only back from a months ban but I can see from reading posts today that the opinions on Rodgers has changed for many; about time too.

I was praying he would turn it around but I knew it wasn't gonna happen. For all his talk about tactics, he doesn't seem to know what the fcuk he is doing when setting the team up.

I was attacked and slated on here since the start of the season for my views and I can understand why, we had just finished 2nd in the league. The harsh reality is that the reason for that finish is in Spain at the moment, and he dragged everyone else along with him.

I posted back in January I wanted Rafa back and I still feel the same. However it won't happen as he likes to have too much control and FSG wouldn't allow that. But he is the only top manager I can think of that would come to us mid-season. But what I do know is Rodgers needs to go ASAP. No point dragging it out any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Realistically they can't give it back to Kenny. I wouldn't want to see it either as it would be very un-fair on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FFS lads I said not an hour ago no one the club would really want (and us) will touch Liverpool mid season. Everyone is at clubs they are happy at (including Klopp) and all of them are in with a chance of a trophy at those clubs (including Klopp until they get knocked out of the CL).

Who would be a realistic manager, for a team that looks like it got carried by 2 players last year and are in 9th with their worst points since 1964, with the manager of the season from last year.

Well the current utd manager wanted the job and lost out to Rodgers he was also offer the DoF job at Liverpool before Rodgers put an end to that.

So my guess is plenty of top class managers would want to manage Liverpool unless you don't think the current utd manager is top class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

FFS lads I said not an hour ago no one the club would really want (and us) will touch Liverpool mid season. Everyone is at clubs they are happy at (including Klopp) and all of them are in with a chance of a trophy at those clubs (including Klopp until they get knocked out of the CL).

Ah grand so, I've mailed boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Welcome back Hangballlouie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Evening folks, only back from a months ban but I can see from reading posts today that the opinions on Rodgers has changed for many; about time too.

I was praying he would turn it around but I knew it wasn't gonna happen. For all his talk about tactics, he doesn't seem to know what the fcuk he is doing when setting the team up.

I was attacked and slated on here since the start of the season for my views and I can understand why, we had just finished 2nd in the league. The harsh reality is that the reason for that finish is in Spain at the moment, and he dragged everyone else along with him.

I posted back in January I wanted Rafa back and I still feel the same. However it won't happen as he likes to have too much control and FSG wouldn't allow that. But he is the only top manager I can think of that would come to us mid-season. But what I do know is Rodgers needs to go ASAP. No point dragging it out any longer.

We need a new manager that can pick the team properly and sign good quality players.

The only people who are happy with Brendan Rodgers are the United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why he started Lucas on the bench is beyond me. And why he even plays Allen is a complete mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

doc_17 wrote: »
    Why he started Lucas on the bench is beyond me. And why he even plays Allen is a complete mystery.

He was horrendous all through the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Expectations of Frank de Boer, Klopp or Simeone are deluded

I think de boer would be a reasonable shout and not "deluded" hes achieved everything he realistically can with ajax for 3 seasons now, time for a new challenge perhaps?

klose wrote: »
    I think de boer would be a reasonable shout and not "deluded" hes achieved everything he realistically can with ajax for 3 seasons now, time for a new challenge perhaps?

Can't see him leaving at this point in the season though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement