Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gits_bone wrote: »
    If FSG are penny pinchers maybe it might be worth going low risk into the championship?

Jordan Rhodes worth a gamble anyone? Would always sell him on if it didn't work...

I think we have to be realistic about what we can do for the striker position in January. As such, that's not a terrible shout imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Re: Goalkeeper situation, we should offer Cech €150k per week & Chelsea a few million.

We'd be mad to sell Cech.

In the summer maybe and he can be replaced but in january incase Courtois pulls up.

I also dont think itll be allowed,Jose said therell be no business done in January in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Go out and get Lloris. Failing that Begovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

If FSG are penny pinchers maybe it might be worth going low risk into the championship?

Jordan Rhodes worth a gamble anyone? Would always sell him on if it didn't work...

I don't think they're penny pinchers as they've overseen a sizable outlay...only to see it spent on ****e for the most part unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Lovren is just so tragically out of his depth, and make no mistake, for those of you who want a pairing of him and Sakho are asking for more comedy.

Skrtel can do some infuriating things but he's still our best defender out of what we have. The other two are headless chickens that are a collapse waiting to happen.
    No.

Toure can make Skrtel look competent so that alone makes him our best defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have given over £300m for transfer since they took over hardly penny pinching.

I wouldn't blame them if they want to pinch the pennies now though after seeing 90% of that £300m wasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

There's just so many thing B Rod has got wrong this season.

Just off the top of my head.

1. Dropping Mignolet today and for the future for someone who has no heart and just happy to pick up a cheque.
    2. Not playing our best defender of the last month Toure. Not playing Sakho..a B Rod signing.
    3. Not having Borini involved. Someone who offers a threat, someone who runs and has a bit of quality, a player B Rod actually bought himself.
    4. Playing Gerrard in every single game (up to a few weeks ago) when he didn't have the legs anymore.
    5. Not playing Lucas after he plays well.
    6. Not playing Can after he plays well.
    7. Not playing the only player who actually looks like a good summer signing in Lallana.
    8. Playing Henderson as RWB.
    9. Bringing in Balotelli, who doesn't fit into the Rodgers style.
    10. Not playing Coutinho more often when he looks like a dangerous player...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think we have to be realistic about what we can do for the striker position in January. As such, that's not a terrible shout imo.

Haven't look at the championship recently but Jordan Rhodes had an insane record at that level..

They have given over £300m for transfer since they took over hardly penny pinching.

I wouldn't blame them if they want to pinch the pennies now though after seeing 90% of that £300m wasted.

Penner pinchers in that they look for value rather than pay for quality..imo.

• Advertisement

Look, I definitely had my issues with FSG in season's past. But they backed Dalglish in the summer of 2011 and he used it poorly and they backed Rodgers during the summer of 2014 and he seems to have used it poorly.

They needed to push in the summer and we did invest a net outlay. We just bought the wrong players in the wrong areas.

I'm still not going to forgive them for last January's window (who knows...) but buying players for big fees that aren't selected / good enough for selection isn't their fault.

EDIT: though I hope they themselves are realising that less acquisitions and a higher average purchase price / wage deals may be a superior way to go and sanction same for the next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Strange that i think we all thought Lovren would be the next great thing at Centre back and has really been a disaster. Yet Lallana has equally been poor BUT we all seem to think he will come good.

I like Moreno but he needs serious work on his positioning and when to bomb forward. Same with Manquillo.

Sahko has been at the club for what feels like ages now but cannot get in? I just think that Rodgers has a certain player in mind for his team and Lucas/Lambert/Borini are not doing it for him right now but strangely enough Glen/Allen/Lazar/Skrtel are???

Putting Lovren's performances on a par with Lallana is BS of the highest order.
    Lovren has performed fcuk up after fcuk up.
    In the 45 minutes Lallana was on the pitch today, he did more in his role than Lovren has done in his since both were signed.

Penner pinchers in that they look for value rather than pay for quality..imo.

You can buy alot of quality for £300m the managers (Kenny/Brendan) just didn't use the money wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't think they're penny pinchers as they've overseen a sizable outlay...only to see it spent on ****e for the most part unfortunately.

If they are concerned about their money being wasted, which they should, not just on bad players but on players the manager refuses to play, then they need to sit down with him and tell him a DOF is coming in. If he doesn't like it he can walk.

If they are willing to spend any money in January it should be on bringing in someone to oversee transfers who has a proven track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Blackburn paid £8m for Jordan Rhodes. He won't be sold at at a lose.

Blackburn paid £8m for Jordan Rhodes. He won't be sold at at a lose.

One Balotelli or two Jordan Rhodes? :P

• Advertisement

Anyway, doesn't look like he's going to be sacked tonight or soon. We'll be back here next Sunday imo, and the reality will be ever more stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers had three fit strikers today and started none of them. Do you think if Jordan Rhodes was bought he would be played??

mav79 wrote: »
    Rodgers had three fit strikers today and started none of them. Do you think if Jordan Rhodes was bought he would be played??

The reason he didn't start a striker is because he's stubborn, and the other two can't score v good defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anyway, doesn't look like he's going to be sacked tonight or soon. We'll be back here next Sunday imo, and the reality will be ever more stark.

Sure it's only Arsenal next week :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

A new manager coming in:

Needs to purchase goalkeepers.

Defensively, he needs to start coaching what's there. In terms of what's there though, between Toure / Sakho / Skrtel / Lovren / Moreno / Johnson / Enrique / Flanagan / Manquillo / Ilori he has something to work with. While Lovren has been a disaster, I think proper coaching and a solid goalkeeper behind them could see us improve in that area.

In terms of midfield options, he needs to purchase the kind of dominating force we require. That being said, Henderson / Can / Lucas aren't that bad. Gerrard / Allen aren't longterm options for different reasons, but a good solid signing here and an extension of Lucas and I think you've got lots to work with. There's also Rossiter coming through.

In terms of attacking midfielders, in Lallana / Coutinho / Sterling / Markovic there's talent. It needs to be used more judiciously and it needs a functioning striker to play off but there is talent there. Suso is also the forgotten man who could surely be worth some assessment the rest of the season at the very least.

Striker is a problem. There is Sturridge but he's made of glass. There is Balotelli and...well who the **** knows. There's definitely a bundle of talent lurking in the twisted oceans of his psyche. Lambert / Borini need to be cleared out, Origi needs to be brought back and someone needs to be signed.

We need:

Two Keepers (one to start and one to develop)
    A defensive midfielder capable of dominating a game
    A striker capable of reliably leading a line and linking up with the likes of Sterling / Lallana / Coutinho / Markovic

That's not soooo much work. And I think therein that lies the two reasons why Rodgers must be shown the door:

1) What we have is not being utilised efficiently;
    2) I don't trust him with cash to address the three glaring gaps in the squad

I think one good window and a superior coaching staff could get us functioning again anyway.

I'd be giving Rodgers the January window to address the issues.

If things weren't beginning to improve by February/March, FSG will have to start thinking about replacements.

• Advertisement

We need to be signing proven top level goal scorers not Jordan ••••ing Rhodes.

djPSB wrote: »

If things weren't beginning to improve by February/March, FSG will have to start thinking about replacements.

But then the new manager needs to build his own team....so that's another problem...

The reason he didn't start a striker is because he's stubborn, and the other two can't score v good defences.
    And do you think Jordan Rhodes is going to rectify either problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Danny ings would be a much better option and cheaper as his contracts up in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

For the most part the players aren't the problem. It's the manager.

And do you think Jordan Rhodes is going to rectify either problem?

It would be a gamble on an unproven at the top level striker who is a great finisher in the championship.

Would be less of a gamble than signing Balotelli.

But then the new manager needs to build his own team....so that's another problem...

I think there's the bones of a good team there already and as LL said, there's 3 or 4 players required to get the team functioning again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Time I started my Christmas diet of chocolate and beer.

Danny ings would be a much better option and cheaper as his contracts up in June.

Forgot about him...

Or even Charlie Austin? He's doing well this season...would push a move through if he got a sniff of it.

We need to be signing proven top level goal scorers not Jordan ••••ing Rhodes.
    Thats my point!! Signing a player of Rhodes quality is pointless, when the manager won't even play Borini.

• Advertisement

It would be a gamble on an unproven at the top level striker who is a great finisher in the championship.

Would be less of a gamble than signing Balotelli.

The time for gambling is gone. Proven players needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodgers got alot of money to spend. But the club failed to get transfers done for

- Mkhitaryan
    - Costa
    - Willian
    - Sanchez
    - Konoplyanka

He targeted very good players but the clubs wage structure failed to get the deals done. Its been a problem for years we not willing to pay big wages.

Mignolet

Toure
    Sakho

--Johnson
    Moreno---

Lucas----Henderson

--Lallana----Coutinho----Markovich--

Sterling

That's the team I'd go for next game.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rodgers got alot of money to spend. But the club failed to get transfers done for

- Mkhitaryan - Turned us down for CL at BVB
    - Costa - Used us to get a better deal and CL
    - Willian - Bigger wages and CL
    - Sanchez- London not wages.
    - Konoplyanka - Owner refused to sell.

He targeted very good players but the clubs wage structure failed to get the deals done. Its been a problem for years we not willing to pay big wages.

Not all down to wages,

We went for most of those when we didn't have CL.

Why didn't we go for players of that standard when we did have CL that is what needs to be asked I believe.

Starting with no strikers resulted in Liverpool putting in one of their most creative performances of the season, which says it all regarding their ineffectiveness.
    Having Couthinho, Sterling and Lallana on together resulted in a rare sight of high intense pressing coupled with pace and movement which saw some quality through balls.
    I don't think either Balotelli or Lambert would have made the runs which resulted in Liverpool's best chances

Mignolet

Toure
    Sakho

--Johnson
    Moreno---

Lucas----Henderson

--Lallana----Coutinho----Markovich--

Sterling

That's the team I'd go for next game.

So no strikers again?

So no strikers again?

It worked today.

Sterling should have had a few today.

When you balls up a 1 on 1. You know it's not his day.

I wouldn't trust him to try and spend money on those points given his record to date. But if you are giving him until February to improve you would have to provide money in January. I think he loses his job in that context.

MD1990 wrote: »

- Mkhitaryan
    - Costa
    - Willian
    - Sanchez
    - Konoplyanka

I think it's obvious to some that the manager might not be the problem here.

• Advertisement

It worked today.

Sterling should have had a few today.

When you balls up a 1 on 1. You know it's not his day.

We lost 3-0 it worked really well alright!

It wasn't the lack of striker that cost us the game.

Awful defence and Sterling not finishing his chances did.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Starting with no strikers resulted in Liverpool putting in one of their most creative performances of the season, which says it all regarding their ineffectiveness.
    Having Couthinho, Sterling and Lallana on together resulted in a rare sight of high intense pressing coupled with pace and movement which saw some quality through balls......

Throw Sturridge in the mix and you have goals.

There are a small few English PL clubs that can cater for being without a (their) 20 goal a season striker, Liverpool aren't one of them.

Lots of the names being mentioned as needed are all based in England.
    Cech, Begovic, Ings, Austin, Rhodes.

That's part of the problem imo. Spread tbe fcukin net to get players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

EDIT: though I hope they themselves are realising that less acquisitions and a higher average purchase price / wage deals may be a superior way to go and sanction same for the next manager.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

r2v8mDV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not all down to wages,

We went for most of those when we didn't have CL.

Why didn't we go for players of that standard when we did have CL that is what needs to be asked I believe.
    After failing to get Sanchez he probably thought that the top players were not going to come after failing time & time again. Its was reported he wanted Bony & Vorm but the board didn't want those players. Not many top strikers were available either only Falcao who has been poor at Man Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It wasn't the lack of striker that cost us the game.

Awful defence and Sterling not finishing his chances did.

That's because he is not a striker!

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

r2v8mDV.gif

This was a once off year imo to try and cope with the extra games of the champions league....which meany 6 extra games.

So are you blaming no strikers for the concession of 3 goals today??

It's not as if Liverpool have been scoring freely all season. With Balotelli or Lambert its been too static and easy to defend against.

Sterling should have scored, 30 seconds later and Rooney is clinical.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's because he is not a striker!

He is well capable of putting away the chances he had today. Balotelli is a striker and he still didn't score on de geea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Do people really think Jordan Rhodes is the kind of player who can score us into the Champions League?

There is some serious amount of delusion going on here. United weren't even that good today, but they have enough quality players in their team to be able to produce that moment of magic (Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, De Gea, etc). That is before you even mention the likes of Di Maria and Falcao, players who didn't even start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement