Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Very good article on De Boer. Could be a great option for us.

http://afootballreport.com/post/22661498743/frank-de-boers-vision-the-whole-is-greater-than

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

brevity wrote: »

http://afootballreport.com/post/22661498743/frank-de-boers-vision-the-whole-is-greater-than

Next we need a Kate Cohen, Why FDB would be a success at Liverpool, article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

5starpool wrote: »
    That's because he is not a striker!

He should have scored his first chance and are you excusing his one on one because he's not a striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Rodgers had agreed to have Van Gaal as his DoF do people think the likes of Sanchez would have turned us down for London?

If Rafa, Klopp were manager would players still turn down a move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm not sure FSG would have a huge issue with how the money was spent. I'd say the fact that all this money was spent on players who the managers seems to have little interest in playing is far more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gits_bone wrote: »
    It wasn't the lack of striker that cost us the game.

Awful defence and Sterling not finishing his chances did.

Rodgers has had 2.5 seasons to sort that out and hasn't.

Sterling is a winger not a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do people really think Jordan Rhodes is the kind of player who can score us into the Champions League?

There is some serious amount of delusion going on here. United weren't even that good today, but they have enough quality players in their team to be able to produce that moment of magic (Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, De Gea, etc). That is before you even mention the likes of Di Maria and Falcao, players who didn't even start.

No. But I think we need a body during the January window to compensate for the fact that we have three striking options, one who is injured / one who is nuts / one who doesn't fit the players around him and then Borini who is persona non gratis.

I'm afraid to click the link
    If its penned by K.C I'm gonna open up a can of whoop ass

If Rodgers had agreed to have Van Gaal as his DoF do people think the likes of Sanchez would have turned us down for London?

If Rafa, Klopp were manager would players still turn down a move?

I think it would have made a difference, but those pro Rodgers will say different. It's opinion either way which we can't prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would be taking the Europa League very seriously if I was Rodgers.

Sounds desperate doesn't it ?

• Advertisement

So now we have to rely on a 20 year old for goals and to creat chances.

Sterling cannot carry the team on his own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Should definitely be looking at smaller leagues now for hidden gems. There's a guy linked with Spurs, 23 years old who has 37 goals in 41 games in the croatian league.

Andreij Kramaric I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So now we have to rely on a 20 year old for goals and to creat chances.

Sterling cannot carry the team on his own.

Suarez he Is not. If we don't get another striker in January it'll be a long first half of 2015

ebbsy wrote: »

If he wants his 70k a week he should be! haha

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No. But I think we need a body during the January window to compensate for the fact that we have three striking options, one who is injured / one who is nuts / one who doesn't fit the players around him and then Borini who is persona non gratis.

Tbh will buying a Charlie Austin get you cl at this stage? No way. Could be the difference between 11 and 9th

I'd nearly prefer to hold the powder till summer and add that to someone more polished.

Honestly, if we can't rely on our winger/attacking midfielder scoring one of his 3(or was it 4?) one-on-one chances than we need to seriously re-cosnider handing that player £100k+ a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I hate the 'team x are doing badly, what they need more than anything is average but over-achieving manager/goalie/midfielder/striker y'

Pretty sure the premiership table more or less goes according to money spent.

Every so often a wildcard like Suarez comes along and upsets the order.

SUAREZ!!!!

Not fcuking Ings or Sustin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Here are some realistic players who I think we should be targetting. I would'nt be going for too many PL players as they are overpriced.

- Lacazette
    - Imbula(Marseille CM)
    - Depay
    - Konoplyanka
    - Nainngolan
    - Vela
    - Bony
    - Firminio
    - Aubameyang
    - Otamendi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

This was a once off year imo to try and cope with the extra games of the champions league....which meany 6 extra games.

Noted, but I still think we brought in too many players, even allowing for these extra games.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hidalgo wrote: »
    He should have scored his first chance and are you excusing his one on one because he's not a striker?

I'm not excusing him anything, but if you have a non striker playing as a striker it follows logically that they are less likely to be clinical than an actual striker getting the same chances.

He of course should have done better with most of his chances, but the above isn't rocket science.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Tbh will buying a Charlie Austin get you cl at this stage? No way. Could be the difference between 11 and 9th

I'd nearly prefer to hold the powder till summer and add that to someone more polished.

Might make the difference in a Cup game though. I don't know lads, I have a post above saying we need a top striker. I agree, I'm just trying to be realistic about the coming window.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's because he is not a striker!

If Joe Allen missed that chance this thread would be mental ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Honestly, if we can't rely on our winger/attacking midfielder scoring one of his 3(or was it 4?) one-on-one chances than we need to seriously re-cosnider handing that player £100k+ a week.

You're right, we should definitely scrimp of Sterling's next contract. Plenty of other talent in our squad to take his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ebbsy wrote: »

We have enough players for it at least.

Still going to be easier to finish fourth than win it though (imo) and so thats where the focus should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The double standards are pretty funny. Today's performance was sh*te because we failed to score despite creating plenty of chances. On the other hand we should throw the kitchen sink at Sterling despite the fact that he looks impressive but has very little end product.

Also has Benitez attracted anyone of note to Napoli?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The double standards are pretty funny. Today's performance was sh*te because we failed to score despite creating plenty of chances. On the other hand we should throw the kitchen sink at Sterling despite the fact that he looks impressive but has very little end product.

Was Benitez before or after Higuain?

The double standards are pretty funny. ..

To be fair Sterling will come good finishing wise, no doubt.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Might make the difference in a Cup game though. I don't know lads, I have a post above saying we need a top striker. I agree, I'm just trying to be realistic about the coming window.

I agree that the types of options mentioned are the most realistic in Jan.
    I'd still be as happy wait till summer and make a proper effort at going someway towards replacing Suarez.

Higuain off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Given the state we are in at the moment just about the last thing we need to do is tell Sterling he's not worth the money he's looking for (especially as Glen Johnson has been getting the same for years).

You want to keep good players you have to pay them. It's that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm still incredibly angry.

What has me angry is Rodgers. He is utterly losing the plot. Johnson at RCB? Henderson RW? Toure and Lucas dropped? Sterling with all the responsibility up front? Allen playing despite never performing? Mig dropped for a vastly inferior keeper? Lallana off at HT? honestly believe he makes decisions sometimes for the sake of trying to look smart; trying to make it look like he can make big calls.

I sympathise with Rodgers having no strikers, I do, but let's be honest, he knew Sturridge was brittle, and yet seemingly hung all his hopes on his fitness. Dumb move.

Rodgers' calls aren't making sense. The defence is getting progressively worse. Most of the money he has spent is sitting on the bench.

The bottom line is this though - Rodgers is showing no ability, and hasn't done since Villa, of really turning this around. Nothing is changing. Lucas and Toure in the team was a change, made us more solid through the fact that one tries incredibly hard, and the other has some positional nous as a DM, but Rodgers didn't learn, and it was back to the same shít that doesn't work when you don't have Suarez/Sturridge.

Rodgers needs to be pretty flawless for the next while to keep the majority of fans onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Higuain off the top of my head.
    This may seem mad but I wouldn't want Higuain at Liverpool. Doesn't do enough without the ball & could struggle in the PL because he isnt that quick or strong. Good finisher but don't like his petulant attitude. I think he could another Soldado in the PL.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rodgers needs to be pretty flawless for the next while to keep the majority of fans onside.

The majority of fans seem to recognise that it's time for him to call it a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rodgers has had 2.5 seasons to sort that out and hasn't.

Sterling is a winger not a striker.

He's a number 10 in my book. Then a winger.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Here are some realistic players who I think we should be targetting. I would'nt be going for too many PL players as they are overpriced.

- Lacazette
    - Imbula(Marseille CM)
    - Depay
    - Konoplyanka
    - Nainngolan
    - Vela
    - Bony
    - Firminio
    - Aubameyang
    - Otamendi

Won't get another wide man now, not even on a free. Just spent 20 million on Markovic and Ibe will be back next summer. Lacazette and Firmino would be the pick of that lot.

I'd put in an offer for Song, there's no way he'd turn down Liverpool to stay at West Ham. That said if Rodgers is still in charge it won't matter!

Mr Alan wrote: »

Next home game will say otherwise ;)

You're right, we should definitely scrimp of Sterling's next contract. Plenty of other talent in our squad to take his place.

I thought the players not named Sterling did a pretty decent job of creating chances today. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wouldn't mix up the online fans with the match going ones. You always get more extremes online. Apparently he had full backing of the away fans today.

Granted a few more bad results and you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm still incredibly angry.

What has me angry is Rodgers. He is utterly losing the plot. Johnson at RCB? Henderson RW? Toure and Lucas dropped? Sterling with all the responsibility up front? Allen playing despite never performing? Mig dropped for a vastly inferior keeper? Lallana off at HT? honestly believe he makes decisions sometimes for the sake of trying to look smart; trying to make it look like he can make big calls.

I sympathise with Rodgers having no strikers, I do, but let's be honest, he knew Sturridge was brittle, and yet seemingly hung all his hopes on his fitness. Dumb move.

Rodgers' calls aren't making sense. The defence is getting progressively worse. Most of the money he has spent is sitting on the bench.

The bottom line is this though - Rodgers is showing no ability, and hasn't done since Villa, of really turning this around. Nothing is changing. Lucas and Toure in the team was a change, made us more solid through the fact that one tries incredibly hard, and the other has some positional nous as a DM, but Rodgers didn't learn, and it was back to the same shít that doesn't work when you don't have Suarez/Sturridge.

spot on, pre match interview he was basically saying 'right we had our little experiment of being solid, lets go back to the system that has failed over and over this season'.

I wouldn't mix up the online fans with the match going ones. You always get more extremes online......

Reading this thread it seems we have FSG as contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was Benitez before or after Higuain?

I honestly dunno. I thought he went there cos the other option was Arsenal, couldn't be paid enough to watch that league.

And as frustrated as people are at 'The Rodgers' s selections, Benitez repeatedly played Victory Moses at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Benitez' family still live in Merseyside.

He's gonna take over at the end of the season I reckon. FSG will look at his record and Champs League win and think he'll do a good job again.

I wouldn't mix up the online fans with the match going ones. You always get more extremes online. Apparently he had full backing of the away fans today.

Granted a few more bad results and you never know.

If we lose the next two games(Bornemouth and Arsenal) I'll be surprised if there aren't boo's at the end of each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I asked this on Sep 20th and was basically laughed at and told to get a grip (Page 249 of the old thread)

Serious question, Does Rodgers have a clue what he's doing?

Don't think anyone's laughing now.

If we lose the next two games(Bornemouth and Arsenal) I'll be surprised if there aren't boo's at the end of each game.

Can't lose v Bournemouth........can we...?

Where was MOreno for the first goal?

Can't lose v Bournemouth........can we...?

I suppose a lot will depend on how much Jones' guessing improves in the next 3 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Exactly for how long do we expect 19 year old Sterling to carry the Liverpool attack? He has played 75 games for the club. Adnan Januzaj in comparison has played 35 and he is 19 too.

He starts every game. Earlier this season we had the thing between Hodgson and Rodgers over Sterling being tired. I think since then he has started almost every game bar the Madrid game and another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sterling really is terrible in the box, should be allowed anywhere but the wings.

I thought the players not named Sterling did a pretty decent job of creating chances today. :confused:

Sterling is better than them all.

After Sturridge, he is our best player. Considering he is not made of glass, he might even be more important.

It's hugely important we keep the few top players we have. Offering Sterling £70k is insulting to the fella when Mario is earning £110k plus bonuses, Lovren is on £70k & is ****e, Lallana is on £80k, Mignolet is on £65k & the manager doesn't even think he is good enough to keep Brad Jones out of the team...honestly, I could continue.

Us scrimping on wages is a total myth, our players are among the best paid in the league.

Just give Sterling the £100k that it takes to keep top young players happy & focus on bringing in some help for him, not replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I suppose a lot will depend on how much Jones' guessing improves in the next 3 days.

Honestly, watching the goals again.

Jones deserves to be dropped on the basis of today alone.

What on earth was he doing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement