Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at that third goal again. Seriously how the fvck does Lovren do it? Every time he is asked to make an interception/clearance he ****s it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

noodler wrote: »
    Honestly, watching the goals again.

Jones deserves to be dropped on the basis of today alone.

What on earth was he doing?

3rd goal....just embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sterling is better than them all.

After Sturridge, he is our best player. Considering he is not made of glass, he might even be more important.

It's hugely important we keep the few top players we have. Offering Sterling £70k is insulting to the fella when Mario is earning £110k plus bonuses, Lovren is on £70k & is ****e, Lallana is on £80k, Mignolet is on £65k & the manager doesn't even think he is good enough to keep Brad Jones out of the team...honestly, I could continue.

Us scrimping on wages is a total myth, our players are among the best paid in the league.

Just give Sterling the £100k that it takes to keep top young players happy & focus on bringing in some help for him, not replacements.

He's really not. Maybe in terms of entertainment. But in terms of actually helping us get results he's certainly not the most important after Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's really not. Maybe in terms of entertainment. But in terms of actually helping us get results he's certainly not the most important after Sturridge.

Who is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sterling finishing apart actually played very well. He needs a goal to restore confidence. If we had players trying as hard as he does we would be a lot better off. He needs a rest too. The crtics off him are being very naive. Didn't some want him sold last year lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Who is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He definitely is. No one else comes close.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sterling finishing apart actually played very well. He needs a goal to restore confidence. If we had players trying as hard as he does we would be a lot better off. He needs a rest too.

Sterling is a class act.

He is an electric player who can make things happen. He can't do it all on his own, but him in a functioning team works, as evidenced by last season.

Some fans will justify anything to defend the manager/club. It's bizarre.

NO! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sterling is a class act.

He is an electric player who can make things happen. He can't do it all on his own, but him in a functioning team works, as evidenced by last season.

Agreed.

Losing him sets us back another year.

Think about where he was 18 months ago.

We should not be criticising him for the misses imo - we should be acknowledging how good he was to get into these positions.

• Advertisement

Sterling is a class act.

Im been defending Rodgers on certain things. But Sterling is being overplayed & needs a rest. Too much being dependant on him too. But last few weeks he has been superb & once he improves his finishing (he is only 20) he will a world class player & certain critics off him will look like fools. He nearly got more chances today that Lambert & Balotelli have all season which says something about his movement.

How in the name of God was Jones in goal today, no matter how much Mig has been slated hes been playing behind a defence made of wet paper, how BR thought giving Jones a game today of all days is beyond me, and to compound it lets drop Kolo and Lucas for the defence thats cacked itself all season and keep Joe 'anonymous' Allen in the middle to control the game, very very dishearteneing stuff.

Who is?
    Who is?
    mosstin wrote: »
    He definitely is. No one else comes close.

Toure, Lucas and Mignolet are easily more important to us getting good results than Sterling.
    Sterling is a class act.

Sure I thought Suarez carried the whole team last season? :confused: At the end of the day Sterling has been a consistent figure in a team who have been **** all season long. Of course our results will improve when better players come in, the same principle will apply to Lovern as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Off to bed. See you tomorrow for the meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Borini seems to be alienated.

Rodgers has appeared to distance himself from the Balotelli signing.

In what is probably the last chance for Gerrard to play at the Bernabau in the champions league Rodgers drops him because of his performance against Newcastle.

On the day of Gerrard's 19th anniversary Rodgers drops him and then says afterwards that he would have started him had he known.

Sahko seems to forgotten about.

As people have asked, where the hell has Can gone since the Chelsea game?

Looking back his treatment of Agger was unprofessional. We could have actually sold Agger to Barcelona the summer before for 15 mill and instead we sell him to Brondy for a token fee.

Also, he attacked England/Hodgson for not giving Sturridge this 2 days of rest thing. Well since Sturridge came back for treatment he's broken down twice.
    Rodgers also had a dig at him saying that some players play through the pain barrier.

Toure, Lucas and Mignolet are easily more important to us getting good results than Sterling.

Sure I thought Suarez carried the whole team last season? :confused:At the end of the day Sterling has been a consistent figure in a team who have been **** all season long. Of course our results will improve when better players come in, the same principle will apply to Lovern as well.

You're just incredibly wrong. Your logic is truly baffling.

Not really much point saying anything else.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There are a lot of problems with the current set up, but in today's game the biggest difference between the teams was that deGea was prepared to jump in the way of the ball, while Jones was determined to jump out of the way of the ball. It was by no means the worst display of the season, even if it was a pretty hurtful result. Any team containing lovren and particularly Skertl will concede a lot of goals.

Its pretty clear what Chucky is getting at - Sterling is a flair player who can creat chances but he isn't a striker. We have no strikers (really). So what actually matters is the meat and potato guys further back who can, if playing well, keep the opposition out and at least give the side with its lack of strikers a fair chance of winning the odd game.

A side that is all glitter and no grit wins nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I just watched the game today and I'm not sure how people can put so much blame on Rodgers for that.

Liverpool missed enough chances to win 2 games. That's not Rodgers fault. He dropped lambert and picked sterling up front presumably because he wanted a striker with pace and dribbling ability to trouble Uniteds centre halves. That part worked but it's not Rodgers fault that sterling had a horror show with his finishing. He should have scored at least 2.

He put on balotelli at half time and you'd have to say that sub worked too in that balotelli got himself in some great positions to score and played as a proper centre forward and any other day he would have had a goal and maybe even 2 were it not for de gea. Again nothing Rodgers can do about that. Had balotelli grabbed 2 which I really think he would have against nearly any other keeper everyone would be saying what a great sub it was from the manager.

Then on the other end you had lovrens horrible clearance, again that wasn't Rodgers that told him not to clear it properly. I suppose Rodgers could have not picked him due to his poor form. Jones wasn't good in goal either and I suppose Rodgers could be blamed for picking him but when mignolet keeps letting him down you can hardly blame him for giving jones a chance. It's not as if United were carving Liverpool open, their goals were mistakes.

I think if the manager can set up his team in a way to create chances then that's all he can do, it's not his fault if they keep missing them or if the opposition keeper is inspired.

Likewise if his team aren't getting carved open at the back but are instead conceding through individual mistakes. I don't think a manager can really be blamed for that (well maybe he can somewhat in this case when he keeps picking lovren) but you can still see the point I'm making.

I think the massive reaction on here is basically a reaction to the score line but it really wasn't a true reflection of the game. Liverpool had more chances but just couldn't take them and then they conceded through individual errors. Not much of that is Rodgers fault. People need to watch the game and not just the scoreline.

• Advertisement

Its pretty clear what Chucky is getting at - Sterling is a flair player who can creat chances but he isn't a striker. We have no strikers (really). So what actually matters is the meat and potato guys further back who can, if playing well, keep the opposition out and at least give the side with its lack of strikers a fair chance of winning the odd game.

A side that is all glitter and no grit wins nothing.

Youre right there Rafa.;)

I posted this a few days ago
    In a sense, Sterling has stepped in to fill the void. He already has four assists this season and only Southampton’s Dusan Tadic has created more chances from open play. Sterling is joint-second alongside Eden Hazard, who also happens to be the only player in the league with more dribbles.
    As Gabriele Marcotti pointed out in the week Sterling will make his 100th appearance for Liverpool, the youngster has already played the full 90 minutes on 49 occasions in his fledgling career – far more than both Cristiano Ronaldo (30) and Lionel Messi (25) were expected to at the same stage.
    The Premier League tracking data highlights the problem. High-intensity runs can be impossible to stop when a team breaks in unison. Sterling has produced over 70 of these sprints in six separate matches this season. That’s the same number as the rest of the Liverpool squad put together

That last stat says it all really. Sterlings needs help on the pitch & if we continue to struggle we will find it hard to keep him.

noodler wrote: »
    Honestly, watching the goals again.

Jones deserves to be dropped on the basis of today alone.

What on earth was he doing?

Certainly can't remember seeing the likes of it much before. Especially not twice in the same game. Really is quite funny looking back on it(also very depressing know he's going to be starting indefinitely).

Its pretty clear what Chucky is getting at - Sterling is a flair player who can creat chances but he isn't a striker. We have no strikers (really). So what actually matter is the meat and potato guys further back who can, if playing well, keep the opposition out and at least give the side with its lack of strikers a fair chance of winning the odd game.

A side is all glitter and no grit wins nothing.

This is a conversation about whether we're right to be scrimping on Sterling's contract offer.

I think we're not.
    Chucky thinks the opposite.

Any club that wants to compete at the top needs players like Sterling, as well as players who can do the less glamorous roles in the team-I'm not debating that.

Letting Sterling go would only increase the amount of potentially top class players we'd need to bring into the team.

It would be retarded. As a result, offering a key player average wages by our own standards, is stupid.

Again, we're offering pretty similar wages to the likes of Enrique, Mignolet & Toure.

Less than the likes of Lallana, Skrtel & Lovren. And > 30% less than the likes of Balotelli & Johnson.

It's a mental scenario that we'd gamble with one of the only real quality parts of our team.

It's also mental that anyone would try & defend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

While I agree it was a poor decision in hindsight to drop both Toure and Lucas, who have been very good since they came back, I doubt that both are physically up for the number of games they are playing lately due to age and injury concerns.

So then - Bournemouth, will the Cherries be ripe for picking will Liverpool choke on a stone?

God alone knows what sort of side Rodgers will put out but hopefully it'll be this one

Ward
    Manquillo---Kolo----Sakho----Johnson (don't mind him on the left)
    Lucas
    Can--Coutinho
    -Sterling----Ballotelli---Lallana

Fulton, Skrtel, Moreno, Williams, Ojo, Yesil, Borini (;))

This is a conversation about whether we're right to be scrimping on Sterling's contract offer.

I think we're not.
    Chucky thinks the opposite.

Any club that wants to compete at the top needs players like Sterling, as well as players who can do the less glamorous roles in the team-I'm not debating that.

Letting Sterling go would only increase the amount of potentially top class players we'd need to bring into the team.

It would be retarded. As a result, offering a key player average wages by our own standards, is stupid.

Again, we're offering pretty similar wages to the likes of Enrique, Mignolet & Toure.

Less than the likes of Lallana, Skrtel & Lovren. And > 30% less than the likes of Balotelli & Johnson.

It's a mental scenario that we'd gamble with one of the only real quality parts of our team.

It's also mental that anyone would try & defend it.

In light of this post ^

Was I incredibly wrong about the list of players I provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Today is the first time I am a little concerned that time may be running out on your very own "Football Genius"tm

Is he in any danger? I would hate to see him lose his job from United point of view, obviously, but I would imagine some sections of the support are getting fed up of him

Whats the general consensus among the match going fans do ye know?

In light of this post ^

Was I incredibly wrong about the list of players I provided?

The players you listed would be easier & cheaper to replace than what Sterling brings to the team. As such, Sterling is more important.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Today is the first time I am a little concerned that time may be running out on your very own "Football Genius"tm

Is he in any danger? I would hate to see him lose his job from United point of view, obviously, but I would imagine some sections of the support are getting fed up of him

What a weasely little post. Read the thread, you'll guage fan opinion that way.

Don't get too clever, your side is being kept viable by De Gea.

That's what's so frustrating.

Utd are still such a poor team, even today, despite our woes, a decent finisher in our side & we win that match at a canter.

What a weasely little post. Read the thread, you'll guage fan opinion that way.

Thank you, sadly I don't have time to read the thread, thought a question would suffice.

Also, not to be too pedantic, but I did ask what the match day going fans mood was, not the internet forums, knee jerks and all that are far more common in the serious internet world.

He is a beast alright, would you say he is currently having a similar impact that Suarez had for ye last season for comparison? Lifting an average team to pick up points when they would otherwise not be able to?

I think he has been outstanding, and just keeps improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

That's what's so frustrating.

Utd are still such a poor team, even today, despite our woes, a decent finisher in our side & we win that match at a canter.

Can't hear you over this 10 point gap...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It turned for me today so went on a bit of a posting rampage.

I really really wanted to believe but have lost confidence in Rodgers.

1. Putting Gerrard back in "controller" role after it was conclusively proved that he can't play there at all. It ruins his game - can't charge around, can't get forward to support attacks, assist, arrive late for that shot. He is worthless in the position and it exposes the defense and makes them more jittery.

this was big problem today we were pressing high up and causing carrick major problems but he had an out ball more often than not...Gerrard and hendo sat deep and let them out when they were under pressure :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Let you know next week after the arsenal match if they are still singing the Brendan Rodgers song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I feel sorry for Rodgers, I only saw bits of the game today but it seemed as if tactically he made the correct call, just the players really didn't perform. Also there were one or two strange omissions from the team, Lucas and Toure have definitely been two of our better players lately and neither started which was a mistake IMO. There is a lot of uproar about him playing Jones, and while it proved today that he is not any better than Mignolet, a few weeks ago people were calling for Jones to get a game - yet when he actually did drop Mignolet everyone is using it as a stick to beat him with. Poor timing to do so all the same, surely he would have been better off doing it against a weaker team where it was less likely we would be under pressure, plus it probably seems a few weeks too late and now we are going to have two goalkeepers with absolutely no confidence. Surely a new keeper is the priority now in January. From what I saw I thought the decision to play without a striker was a good one, we seemed to create more chances and could press United higher up the pitch with the extra energy, but too bad we couldn't finish any of our chances when they came to us.

Overall though I agree it's looking like it's time for Rodgers to go, his signings have been his biggest downfall, if he had of got at least one or two of his signings right in the summer we would be in a much better position. Not writing them all off but none of them have had an immediate impact. I can't see FSG giving him much money in January and even if they did I don't think I would trust him to spend it, I also can't see him getting us out of this mess without one or two good signings so therefore I don't think he can get us out of this mess and we would be better off with somebody else coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

In a slight change of tone, thought markovic showed flashes again today of his potential. He could be a tidy player for us over the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ebbsy wrote: »
    I would be taking the Europa League very seriously if I was Rodgers.

Sounds desperate doesn't it ?

Eh it gets you a champions league spot so nothing desperate about it, I don't get people's attitute here and in the UK to the Europa League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol

Jesus. Didn't realise Bournemouth were top of the Championship. Unbeaten in their last 11 league games with 8 wins and 3 draws. Wednesday won't be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus. Didn't realise Bournemouth were top of the Championship. Unbeaten in their last 11 league games with 8 wins and 3 draws. Wednesday won't be fun.
    pool should walk it. cant see bournemouth beating ye regardless of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

pool should walk it. cant see bournemouth beating ye regardless of form

Even money.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-cup/bournemouth-v-liverpool/winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ochoa started following Liverpool on twitter today!

I wonder.

He is available for about £3m by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It is good that Brad Jones is being given a chance. De Gea had to be given time. If Jones is given time he might become good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Neeson wrote: »
    It is good that Brad Jones is being given a chance. De Gea had to be given time. If Jones is given time he might become good too.

He's 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

T-K-O wrote: »
    He's 32

I'd say he's the worst keeper I've seen in the premiership in recent times. Truly dreadful keeper and every time I see him play he seems to concede soft goals. Don't know how he's still at a top club. I know the sub keeper isnt an overly important role at a club as they see so little action but you need a guy who can still provide the first choice with some conpetition.

I can remember reading before that when he was younger he went in loan to one of the Dublin LOI clubs, can't remember which but they played him for a game or 2 and decided he was nowhere near the standard required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can remember reading before that when he was younger he went in loan to one of the Dublin LOI clubs, can't remember which but they played him for a game or 2 and decided he was nowhere near the standard required!

https://twitter.com/bfcdublin/status/544114115610820611

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'd say he's the worst keeper I've seen in the premiership in recent times. Truly dreadful keeper and every time I see him play he seems to concede soft goals. Don't know how he's still at a top club. I know the sub keeper isnt an overly important role at a club as they see so little action but you need a guy who can still provide the first choice with some conpetition.

He was with Shels.

At 32 he's finished. I have no time for a player who is more than happy to sit on the bench, especially during his prime.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement