Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Brad could have 10 years in him yet. Remember Van Der Sar. Give Brad a few games and he'll come good. He must be good if he's at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Neeson wrote: »
    Brad could have 10 years in him yet. Remember Van Der Sar. Give Brad a few games and he'll come good. He must be good if he's at the club.
    :confused:

T-K-O wrote: »
    :confused:

Brad is only 32 yet. Goalkeepers have longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Neeson wrote: »
    Brad is only 32 yet. Goalkeepers have longevity.

you're comparing Van Der Sar's career with Brad Fecking Jones. Get outta here.

Brad has shown nothing thus far. This is not a guy who impresses every now and them. He offers nothing, he's played less than 100 games in ten years.

OK he was destined to have an average career but even that has been wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

T-K-O wrote: »
    you're comparing Van Der Sar's career with Brad Fecking Jones. Get outta here.

Brad has shown nothing thus far. This is not a guy who impresses every now and them. He offers nothing, he's played less than 100 games in ten years.

OK he was destined to have an average career but even that has been wasted.

step_6_pinch_of_salt.jpg

Give him more game time and he might come good. Sure you cannot say he is poor when he does not get a decent run of games. He might not be as good as Van Der Sar but that does not mean he won't be a good keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Starting Brad Jones is unforgivable in my eyes if Mignolet is available.

He isn't even Championship level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Changing your keeper going to Old Trafford is mental. When your side is out of confidence and can't defend, the last thing they need is to have a different person behind them. How could the defence prepare for the game, it smacks of very incoherent muddled thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

dfx- wrote: »
    Changing your keeper going to Old Trafford is mental. When your side is out of confidence and can't defend, the last thing they need is to have a different person behind them. How could the defence prepare for the game, it smacks of very incoherent muddled thinking.

Thats just the start of a long list of bat**** crazy decisions made by the manager today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Thats just the start of a long list of bat**** crazy decisions made by the manager today.

This season infairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

This season infairness.

One crazy season.

In fairness, we have improved dramatically in the second half of both his seasons here but it would take title winning form to pull something out of this season.

And playing Jones, first time I've seen someone trolling himself:-)

This season infairness.

True, but so many in one bloody game.

Jones in goal.
    3 man back line with Johnson as a CB.
    Henderson at RWB
    Markovic at LWB
    2 strikers on the bench, non on the pitch.
    Marcovic, Lucas and Toure not starting.
    Lovern starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

True, but so many in one bloody game.

Jones in goal.
    3 man back line with Johnson as a CB.
    Henderson at RWB
    Markovic at LWB
    2 strikers on the bench, non on the pitch.
    Marcovic, Lucas and Toure not starting.
    Lovern starting.

When you see it written down like that..what the hell was he thinking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lot of doom and gloom merchants posting today. All's not lost, let's try to keep in mind that if the league ends as it lays today, our Andy will be playing Champions League football next year!

7b5345661.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just read Rodgers post match interview.

I really can't believe what he said about the goalkeeper situation. If he really believes Mignolet is that screwed up then he is a fool for 1) letting Reina go and 2) not taking the opportunity to secure Valdes.

Jones is now our number one keeper indefinitely!!!! This is going in to Hodgson territory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Why start Lallana when you know he has two fractured ribs?

People are saying the manager can't put the ball in the net it's the players. Well the managers job is to pick players who can put the ball in the net and yesterday we started without a striker.

People are saying it's not the managers fault if players make mistakes at the back. Well it is the managers fault if he picks that player knowing the player is prone to making those mistakes.

When was the last time Glen Johnson started as a centre back?

Its coming across as Rodgers is trying to be too clever for his own good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Brad Jones would not get a start with ANY other Premier club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Gits_bone wrote: »

Mignolet

Toure
    Skrtel
    Johnson
    Moreno

Lucas
    Can
    Henderson

Lallana
    Sterling

Balotelli

I changed your quote to what I'd like to see. Sterling played better than most of them yesterday but just hasn't got enough of the killer instinct as of yet to play up front.

Balo caused them hassle yesterday and on another day would have put 1 or 2 past them.

I really think that on paper at least that this is best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

There must be a deal for a replacement goalie in place and ready to close on day 1 of the jan transfer window. Right??! It's the only thing that makes any sense (still doesn't really excuse him alienating Mig like he has)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In a slight change of tone, thought markovic showed flashes again today of his potential. He could be a tidy player for us over the rest of the season.

I have never seen a fellow fan hope so much based on seeing so little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Is there any Rodgers quotes regarding dropping Mignolet?

Seems such an odd choice to make on such an important day too, somewhat baffling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is there any Rodgers quotes regarding dropping Mignolet?

Only to say that it's not a one-game thing, and that Mignolet has "accepted it".

Cheers, that is baffling indeed then, so close to the window it's an avoidable decision and it's not as if Bradley is going to do much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only to say that it's not a one-game thing, and that Mignolet has "accepted it".

I hope we don't read too much into "accepted it". All that means is he didn't autmoatically threaten to leave in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, 29, who is at Spanish side Malaga, started following Liverpool FC on Twitter minutes after they dropped Simon Mignolet.

Apparently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augmerson wrote: »
    Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, 29, who is at Spanish side Malaga, started following Liverpool FC on Twitter minutes after they dropped Simon Mignolet.

Apparently....

Should have approached him before the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ochoa is not the standard needed either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FSG need to back him or sack him in the January window. FSG obsession with value has dumped us back to midtable mediocrity in the space of months.

Cech and Bony would be two very welcome additions.

rob316 wrote: »
    FSG need to back him or sack him in the January window. FSG obsession with value has dumped us back to midtable mediocrity in the space of months.

Obsession with value?

Odd thing to say considering ye overpaid for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

rob316 wrote: »

I dont think they will give him a penny.

I would think the mission will be to offload the players who were bought and not playing.

Reminds me of Ireland buying the Voting machines and putting them in the cupboard.

United have the same issue with one player called Falcao

The £6Million fan

• Advertisement

Mr_Red wrote: »
    I dont think they will give him a penny.

I would think the mission will be to offload the players who were bought and not playing.

Reminds me of Ireland buying the Voting machines and putting them in the cupboard.

United have the same issue with one player called Falcao

The £6Million fan

Except Falcao was injured and the situations are nothing alike, but yeah, same issue, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Except Falcao was injured and the situations are nothing alike, but yeah, same issue, sure.

At least utd only paid 6 million and not 25 and bring him off at half time.
    Or not play any strikers and leave him on the bench.
    Same thing though.

Hes back fit a few weeks now.

But 19 year old Wilson seems the better choice:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wrong thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

sure we're all in here now. looking in.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

Are we not allowed visit? Just extending the olive branch.

You were a regular in the other thread a few months ago.

Anyway. I believe Your owners will want the players bought already to get game time but more money is spent.

No point in buying bench warmers

Jesus an uninformed post as well as that ridiculous smiley, not here for petty squabbles, I'm out, enjoy the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He was fit to start yesterday, for the first time, but the manager wanted to use Wilsons pace to stretch the defence and make a bit of space for the likes of RVP, Rooney and Mata, is that difficult to understand?

Hardly like Falcao has been fit and firing and just got left out is it, he is coming back from a series of injuries.

Just on this FSG obsession with value line, bollix tbh, with the money spent during the summer, the players it was spent on and the amounts for certain individuals it is pretty obvious they backed their manager and were not just looking for value.

A 19 year old Wilson being a better choice based on his speed is no more baffling really then an immobile 34 year old Gerrard being the best choice for his role in the game yesterday. Makes much more sense actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

bad2dabone wrote: »
    sure we're all in here now. looking in.

c9acef6ec28e5e23f68fd72dc12e6c92571fc7d07878af6fc74cfa9029705da0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are we not allowed visit? Just extending the olive branch.

You were a regular in the other thread a few months ago.

Anyway. I believe Your owners will want the players bought already to get game time but more money is spent.

No point in buying bench warmers

Other thread?

I post in all the Liverpool threads.

kryogen wrote: »
    He was fit to start yesterday, for the first time, but the manager wanted to use Wilsons pace to stretch the defence and make a bit of space for the likes of RVP, Rooney and Mata, is that difficult to understand?

Hardly like Falcao has been fit and firing and just got left out is it, he is coming back from a series of injuries.

Just on this FSG obsession with value line, bollix tbh, with the money spent during the summer, the players it was spent on and the amounts for certain individuals it is pretty obvious they backed their manager and were not just looking for value.

A 19 year old Wilson being a better choice based on his speed is no more baffling really then an immobile 34 year old Gerrard being the best choice for his role in the game yesterday. Makes much more sense actually :)

We will bring this to the United thread. But I believe that when he is fit he should be starting games.

not playing the last 10 - 15 min each time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, just to put it out there; the idea that we should automatically give Rodgers the season simply because he was manager last year for our title charge is lunacy.

if the manager is showing no ability to get us out of difficulty, then you are sometimes simply left with no choice.

leading a team/club through a difficult stretch like this one, through good coaching, good management, good decision-making, and keeping the players playing for you should be part of the make-up of any capable manager. a good manager also needs to ability to buy the right players.

if a manager proves he cannot do those things, then keeping with him just because of last season when he had a world-class strikeforce is foolhardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, just to put it out there; the idea that we should automatically give Rodgers the season simply because he was manager last year for our title charge is lunacy.

if the manager is showing no ability to get us out of difficulty, then you are sometimes simply left with no choice.

leading a team/club through a difficult stretch like this one, through good coaching, good management, good decision-making, and keeping the players playing for you should be part of the make-up of any capable manager. a good manager also needs to ability to buy the right players.

if a manager proves he cannot do those things, then keeping with him just because of last season when he had a world-class strikeforce is foolhardy.

Do you think last seasons credit will cover him for this season either way, as in he will be safe till the end of the season so will have till the summer to show he is making some progress again?

I would have thought it would, but football is a ruthless sport and highs are easily forgotten when things start to head south.

Also, if he does turn it around somewhat by the end of the season will he be backed again and given another year?

Jaysus i just checked my Super 6 predictions.

Had 5 correct scores out of 6. Had West Ham to win 2-1 against Sunderland.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you think last seasons credit will cover him for this season either way, as in he will be safe till the end of the season so will have till the summer to show he is making some progress again?

I would have thought it would, but football is a ruthless sport and highs are easily forgotten when things start to head south.

Also, if he does turn it around somewhat by the end of the season will he be backed again and given another year?

I think if it looked like there was some semblance of control or consistency throughout the squad people would be patient. no one expected to replicate last year, if we tried but ultimately failed to get 4th then he would get another season.

But at the moment it comes across as he doesn't know what he is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just on the Sterling issue, while I do agree he is the best player we've got at the moment, and we should do everything we can to keep him, I'd understand if the club are not just giving in to his demands. The reality is, he hasn't done a whole lot in his Liverpool career. He was excellent last year, but so was Henderson, Coutinho (although somewhat inconsistent), should they all be giving 70k a week, or whatever Sterling wants? If we end up giving in to his demands, the only reason we are doing it is because we don't want him to leave, it's not because he has earned it imo (although I believe he will in time).

And I don't think people realise the knock-on affect this has. You give Sterling a bumper package, then Henderson, Coutinho might be looking for one too. I mean Henderson has done just as much as Sterling has during his time at Liverpool. Then you have potential signings seeing what Sterling is getting, and they start thinking they can get more.

And that's not even getting into the fact that he is 20 years old, giving players such high wages at such a young age could be detrimental to their development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jaysus i just checked my Super 6 predictions.

Had 5 correct scores out of 6. Had West Ham to win 2-1 against Sunderland.

:(
    Unlucky, you might still be the highest scorer though?

Unlucky, you might still be the highest scorer though?

No it was won again this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The only thing I'll say in Rodgers' defence is that the chances were created yesterday, but unfortunately Sterling and Balotelli made a dogs dinner of them.

On the other hand he only has himself to blame for the disaster up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

brevity wrote: »
    I think if it looked like there was some semblance of control or consistency throughout the squad people would be patient. no one expected to replicate last year, if we tried but ultimately failed to get 4th then he would get another season.

But at the moment it comes across as he doesn't know what he is doing.

That sounds like a lot of utd supporters last year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement