Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I dont care who plays on sat just as long as lovren doesnt

I wouldn't change the defence at all for Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

How that stands now

Basel pl 3 w 2 l 1 d 0 f 5 a 1 gd +4 pts 6
    Liverpool pl 2 w l 1 d 0 f 2 a 2 gd 0 pts 3
    Ludogorets pl 3 w 1 l 2 f 2 a 6 gd -4 pts 3

Would be some way to end the group lol

Shows how bad the group is 3 losses in a row 3 points after 4 games and we're still odds on to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Team for chelsea for me would be
    mig
    Manq----skirtel
    toure----Moreno
    cout
    gerrard---bend ----lalanna
    ballo
    borini

No way should loveran start no way
    Allen better coming of the bench
    Sterling in horrible form presently everything he does is poison
    Has been overused would be good off the bench also

Shows how bad the group is 3 losses in a row 3 points after 4 games and we're still odds on to qualify

Who cares how bad the group is if we get out of it. Not many care how poor we were in the early group games in 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who cares how bad the group is if we get out of it. Not many care how poor we were in the early group games in 2005

The only thing I remember is winning it in 05 and that's it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This pic from last year was my favourite celebration pic and tbh summed up our season too

122359.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kfallon wrote: »
    This pic from last year was my favourite celebration pic and tbh summed up our season too

122359.jpg

Christ, how things change so quickly.

I'd like to see a midfield 3 or Can, Hendo and Allen given a run of games together, think there would be plenty of energy in there if sometimes lacking a little bit of quality in the big games.

The much maligned Touré has to start on Saturday, his display last night was prob the best defensive display from a Liverpool player this calendar year. Be a nice kick up the hole for the likes of Lovren and Sakho anyway.

Then in the attacking areas, any 3 from 4 of Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Balotelli. I presume Sturridge won't be risked on Saturday for fear of England calling him up and ruining him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    61 Goals

Its not like we need reminding.

53 League goals?

20 League assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Thought we played much better last night than the first night against RM.

Much more solid in the middle without Gerrard. The only changes I'd make for Saturday would be Henderson for Lucas and Sterling for Markovic to start. The rest all did very well.

We still look abit clueless in attack. We are not using the wings as much as we should. Full back are getting forward but aren't creating overlaps and bursting into the box. They seem to just stop and play it back. Need to take those risks at times and drive into the box from the wings at times. Need to do it in a controlled way though.

• Advertisement

122359.jpg

Right in front of the Toffee fans who look delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Some people need to stop going overboard about last nights performance.

We were better than we have been but still not very good. And let's be honest, Real didn't get out of first gear.

I'd be seriously wary of making too many changes.

People may go after Borini for lack of goals but he gives us something that Ballotelli doesn't and that's pressing from the front line. Tons of energy and great attitude.

He certainly needs a striker beside him but Sturridge is back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Was there contact with Ramos for the ball Borini put in the net? Looked like a dive to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mr Alan wrote: »

We were better than we have been but still not very good. And let's be honest, Real didn't get out of first gear.

Who's going overboard? Posters are generally saying it was a good performance. I don't think anyone is lauding it. We certainly didn't offer enough in attack still.

My biggest concern right now is that DM role. We have 2 players who play in it. Gerrard and Lucas. Gerrard when on song (which hasn't been this season) is great to get an attack going. But Lucas is actually more mobile and a better DM.

We badly need to bring in a player who can do both roles as right now we're a liability with either player imo. People have mentioned Strootman as being ideal. I can't say much as I don't think I've ever seen him but we need someone to fill that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

What's the story with Gerard's contract? Does it run out at the end of the season? Think I heard somewhere that LFC are reluctant to offer him a new one? Does that he mean he could go on a Bosman to someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    We should have signed him. Problem solved, Rodgers out! We should at least put in a stupidly high bid that was doomed to fail.
    Instead we signed Lovern! :mad:

He is the future of Real's defence, why would they sell to us for any reason?
    And why would he come to us?
    Let's be real...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Dickerty wrote: »
    He is the future of Real's defence, why would they sell to us for any reason?
    And why would he come to us?
    Let's be real...

I agree but I recall people saying we should try signing him, just thought I try some of that what we should have done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I'd like to see a midfield 3 or Can, Hendo and Allen given a run of games together, think there would be plenty of energy in there if sometimes lacking a little bit of quality in the big games.

The much maligned Touré has to start on Saturday, his display last night was prob the best defensive display from a Liverpool player this calendar year. Be a nice kick up the hole for the likes of Lovren and Sakho anyway.

Then in the attacking areas, any 3 from 4 of Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Balotelli. I presume Sturridge won't be risked on Saturday for fear of England calling him up and ruining him again.

I'd replace Allen for Lallana if Couthinho is starting further forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Thought we played much better last night than the first night against RM.

Much more solid in the middle without Gerrard. The only changes I'd make for Saturday would be Henderson for Lucas and Sterling for Markovic to start. The rest all did very well.

We still look abit clueless in attack. We are not using the wings as much as we should. Full back are getting forward but aren't creating overlaps and bursting into the box. They seem to just stop and play it back. Need to take those risks at times and drive into the box from the wings at times. Need to do it in a controlled way though.

I think part of the problem is the ball isn't released quickly enough when the FBs motor forward.
    There was a prime example v Newcastle. Moreno made a run forward and was looking for a pass between Newcastle right fb and cb. By the time Allen released the pass Moreno had strayed offside.
    Those passes need to be released from the trigger without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mr Alan wrote: »

Nor did they at home but they defeated us by more, dont think anyone is happy with last night but its extremely refreshing to see rodgers switch things up and us not look like a team full of 11 year olds trying to defend.

Saw tony evens tweet this, god he is so bitter it seems.

https://twitter.com/tonyevanstimes/status/529754830601199616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gary Linekar, Tony Evans, - its like Francis Bacon being critiqued by Rolf Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is the ball isn't released quickly enough when the FBs motor forward.
    There was a prime example v Newcastle. Moreno made a run forward and was looking for a pass between Newcastle right fb and cb. By the time Allen released the pass Moreno had strayed offside.
    Those passes need to be released from the trigger without hesitation.

Agreed I said as much in the match thread.
    Most frustrating thing for me, tho understandable given how lethal Madrid are on the counter, is the amount of times we've broken(ok twice :rollseyes: ) with a man free in space but the ball has been played square or backwards giving Madrid time to get set defensively. Nobody is betting on themselves to make that pass or that our defense will dig them out if its cut out and Madrid Counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

122359.jpg

Have to say for me that photo and this one below is the best of the VERY best .
    Just look at the face on Suarez and Danny being all cool lol :D:p;)

suarez_sturridge_action-456766.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

We looked decent when in possession in or around or own half. The problem was we looked toothless going forward.

There was once or twice in the game, think it was when Manquillo had the ball on the right and Borini was unmarked back post, Manquillo doesnt see it and passes it sidewards.

Another stage, Markovich was free when Borini had the ball and the pass never came.

I can't see us scoring against Chelsea Saturday so I would assume Rodgers may be going for the same sort of strategy again. (not being able to score but learning to defend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

F*** the media and their obvious agenda to get at Rodgers. I have no problem with the team Rodgers picked, in the circumstances. I'd have had a problem if the team from last weekend was played.

I hope Rodgers takes note of those who made a difference last night, and plays them against Chelsea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

team against chelsea should be

mig
    johnson skrtel toure moreno

lucas

gerrard henderson

coutinho

sterling borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

donfers wrote: »

mig

lucas

gerrard henderson

coutinho

sterling borini

Johnson should never play for this club again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

mig

lucas

gerrard henderson

coutinho

sterling borini

Mario on the bench to throw bags of his pet pigs poop + fireworks into the Chelsea technical area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gbear wrote: »

Only on the left in a League Cup tie - that's his level.

Mig
    Manquillo--Kolo-Lovren--Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo--Can
    Coutinho
    Balo
    Borini

Sturridge to come on and score winner in 87th 93rd minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

you serious! no way would I play johnson, and gerrard should be dropped as well but that won't happen make no impact coming on if anything the game slowed down! On a side note seen Flanagan running out the tunnel with team he must be nearly back anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Im glad toure put in a good performance, im all for the idea of starting him for a few games. His knowledge and experience could be very useful for us at the moment as we try and steady the ship defensively, similar to the impact carra had a couple years ago when he broke back into the first team for the tail end of rodgers first campaign. Id like to see lovren and sakho get a run of games at some stage as well, im starting to come around to daithis idea that skrtel is the weak link.

Im surprised to see borini taking criticism from so many for his lack of goals. Over the past week there was a lot of people calling for him to be involved more, one blank against real madrid should hardly change things. He put in a very good shift, and never really had a decent opportunity to score.

I thought gerrard was fairly poor when he came on, he was trying to force it too much and kept giving the ball away. Fair enough we were losing and needed to make something happen, but he was trying to pick out passes that werent on and lacked composure. I think his time as a main stay in the centre of midfield should be coming to an end. He can still play an important role for us. Id like to see him used off the bench as a more attacking option for us towards the end of games.

Gbear wrote: »

He has been poor but I am not convinced by Manquillo - we got destroyed down his flank last night, in addition to that he can be caught out of position and going forward he seems to lack a bit of confidence/aggression. The truth is our best right back at the moment is Flanagan and even he has his limitations.

Manquillo makes Chris Morris look like Beckham in the crossing dept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I think Manquillo has done extremely well since he's come in. Certainly he's exceeded my expectations. I dont think he got destroyed last night at all. As good a game as Marcelo had, he got maybe two crosses in as a result of beating manquillo on the outside, one for the goal and the second another chance for Benzema. Manquillo acquitted himself really well, Isco was forced inside, Ronaldo drifting left was kept quiet. He made some great interceptions and battled for everything. He's 20 years old playing maybe his 20th senior professional game at most and didnt look out of place at this (CL) level.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I think Manquillo has done extremely well since he's come in. Certainly he's exceeded my expectations. I dont think he got destroyed last night at all. As good a game as Marcelo had, he got maybe two crosses in as a result of beating manquillo on the outside, one for the goal and the second another chance for Benzema. Manquillo acquitted himself really well, Isco was forced inside, Ronaldo drifting left was kept quiet. He made some great interceptions and battled for everything. He's 20 years old playing maybe his 20th senior professional game at most and didnt look out of place at this (CL) level.

He reminds me a bit of Insua - decent on the ball, solid enough but perhaps just a shade off the level required both offensively and defensively. I hope I'm wrong and he has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

For Chelsea I'd go with:

Mig
    Lucas -- Allen
    Hendo-
    -Sterling
    Lallana
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Mignolet had a good game and I think it helped that there was a leader in the CB role in front of him in Toure telling everyone what to do.

I know people will say he should have caught this that and the other but how many keepers these days catch a ball most punch and in fairness to Mignolet last night his punches knocked the ball well away from the goal.

Having a CB leader in Toure showed what has been missing from the defence.

I loved seeing him shouting and bollixing players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if last night was indeed an opportunity for players to stake their claim, then we should see the following on Saturday.

Toure partnering Skrtel.
    Lucas in DM, with Can and Hendo alongside him.
    If Gerrard plays, then it's further forward.
    Borini should get some game time.

if we see the team that played against Newcastle, i'll be fuming.

He reminds me a bit of Insua - decent on the ball, solid enough but perhaps just a shade off the level required both offensively and defensively. I hope I'm wrong and he has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

I just think the lad has had very little game time at this level and from what I've seen of him so far he's impressed. Seems solid enough and keeps going for the whole 90. Definitely a better option that our england international 20m right back Glen Johnson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Only on the left in a League Cup tie - that's his level.

Mig
    Lucas
    Hendo--Can
    Coutinho
    Balo
    Borini

Sturridge to come on and score winner in 87th 93rd minute

I reckon this will be BR team for Sat.

Mig
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Can
    -Coutinho
    Lallana
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

My go.

Mig

Manquillo--Skrtel-Kolo--Moreno

Lucas----
    Can

Hendo

-Sterling
    Borini
    Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there's no point guessing a team for Saturday and not having Gerrard in it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Mig

Johnson--Skrtel-Kolo--Moreno

Gerrard----
    Can

Hendo

-Sterling
    Coutinho
    Borini

Thats as far as I would stretch in terms of Rodgers making changes. Even with that, I wouldnt be suprised to see Lovren back in.

If he does bring Lovren back in, it really will show he rested players rather than dropped.

Borini at this stage deserves to start. I actually think Balotelli is better coming in as an inside forward from the wing, but he would leave whoever is right back completley on his own.

Wouldnt fancy that vs Hazard/Schurle/Willian.

Actually Ive just edited out Allen for Can as I think Rodgers will go for the extra height vs Chelsea. Some tall players on the Chelsea Side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Rodgers is in a tough position now, he was getting slated for fielding a 'League Cup' side last night, now that they did ok everyone wants him to keep some of those players in! So if he goes for the regulars again he will get slated, tough business that managerial lark, when you have so many have-a-go managers out there.

For what its worth..

Mignolet
    Manquillo-Skrtel-Kolo-Moreno
    Can
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Sterling
    Lallana
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was impressed with Can considering he hasn't had much game time, looked pretty comfortable on the ball and offers something different, willing to run at midfielders.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    For what its worth..

Mignolet
    Manquillo-Skrtel-Kolo-Moreno
    Can
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Sterling
    Lallana
    Borini

I'd go with that. Though I'd change to

Mignolet
    Manquillo----Skrtel----Toure----Moreno
    Can
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    ----Sterling
    Lallana
    Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Moreno has made some mistakes but looks a great signing. I can see him being one of the best LB's in the world in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What last night proved to me was maybe Rodgers could do well in Europe. He generally sets up the same but last night was refreshing, if that was the first leg of a knock out with Madrid that would be a decent result going back to Anfield.
    A bit more quality up front last night and we could have scalped a result.

For Chelsea I really hope Rodgers takes some of the performances into account when selecting the team. I don't think Gerrard should start, and he has to go two up top. Im still hoping Sturridge will make it, huge player for us.
    Toure to start, give Lovren something to think about with his **** performances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement