Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Rodgers' 1st season at #LFC. 58 games played, 68 goals conceded. 24 of those games (41%) conceding 2 or more.

Rodgers' #LFC last season played 50 games conceding 57 goals. 18 of those 50 games (36%) they conceded 2 or more.

Rodgers' #LFC this season have played 32 games conceding 43 goals. 12 of those games (38%) conceding 2 or more.

So Rodgers' #LFC since getting the job. 140 games played, 168 goals conceded. 54 of those 140 games (39%) conceding 2 or more.

Rodgers' Watford played 32 games conceding 48 goals. In 15 (47%) of those games his team conceded 2 or more goals

Rodgers' Reading conceded 36 goals in 23 games. In 9 (40%) of those games they conceded 2 or more goals

Rodgers' last season at Swansea, conceded 51 goals in 38 league games played. In 15 (40%) of those games conceding 2 or more goals

The facts speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Carra on MNF says B Rod doesn't focus on defending, only on playing nice football basically.

I guess he would know, I'm sure he talks to stevie g all the time. And the coaching thing does not surprise me in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Ardent wrote: »
    I guess he would know, I'm sure he talks to stevie g all the time. And the coaching thing does not surprise me in the slightest.

And Carragher played under Rodgers as well..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

WealthyB wrote: »
    Rodgers' 1st season at #LFC. 58 games played, 68 goals conceded. 24 of those games (41%) conceding 2 or more.

Rodgers' #LFC last season played 50 games conceding 57 goals. 18 of those 50 games (36%) they conceded 2 or more.

Rodgers' #LFC this season have played 32 games conceding 43 goals. 12 of those games (38%) conceding 2 or more.

So Rodgers' #LFC since getting the job. 140 games played, 168 goals conceded. 54 of those 140 games (39%) conceding 2 or more.

Rodgers' Watford played 32 games conceding 48 goals. In 15 (47%) of those games his team conceded 2 or more goals

Rodgers' Reading conceded 36 goals in 23 games. In 9 (40%) of those games they conceded 2 or more goals

Rodgers' last season at Swansea, conceded 51 goals in 38 league games played. In 15 (40%) of those games conceding 2 or more goals

The facts speak for themselves.

Why do those stats include pre season friendlies?

5starpool wrote: »
    Why do those stats include pre season friendlies?

Why shouldn't they? They're games he's managed. You think conceding a bag full of goals preseason is good preparation for the season ahead? Didn't think so. But you make it about that if it makes ya feel better.

Again, the stats speak for themselves. 4 clubs. Same abysmal approach to defending no matter where he goes.

• Advertisement

Why shouldn't they? They're games he's managed. You think conceding a bag full of goals preseason is good preparation for the season ahead? Didn't think so. But you make it about that if it makes ya feel better.

Again, the stats speak for themselves. 4 clubs. Same abysmal approach to defending no matter where he goes.

Pointless including them, ridiculous even. If he had somehow kept clean sheets in most pre season games would it be fair to include them as proof that we can defend? No, it wouldn't. We have an awful defence, there is no denying that, but including stats from pre season friendlies is just daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

What I really hope isn't the case is that Rodgers has built himself a seige mentally that the committee is to blame for the teams woes this season. The leaked stuff and playing Jones smacks of him looking to pass the blame. If I'm one of the youngest managers in the game, I think at some stage I at least ask myself the question about how come my teams keeps conceding so many goals. I would be doing everything possible to rectify it like hiring a defensive coach. It isn't a sign of weakness but the opposite. I think Steve Clarke is knocking around doing very little. Instead Rodgers seems to be looking for more and more control. One man can't run a club the size of Liverpool. It's foolish to even try and I think had Rodgers more experience he would realise this.

5starpool wrote: »
    Pointless including them, ridiculous even. If he had somehow kept clean sheets in most pre season games would it be fair to include them as proof that we can defend? No, it wouldn't. We have an awful defence, there is no denying that, but including stats from pre season friendlies is just daft.

Discount the stats if you think it somehow doesn't display a pattern of a manager clueless at the most basic organising of a defence.

Discount the stats if you think it somehow doesn't display a pattern of a manager clueless at the most basic organising of a defence.

Yes, that's my point, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

What I really hope isn't the case is that Rodgers has built himself a seige mentally that the committee is to blame for the teams woes this season. The leaked stuff and playing Jones smacks of him looking to pass the blame. If I'm one of the youngest managers in the game, I think at some stage I at least ask myself the question about how come my teams keeps conceding so many goals. I would be doing everything possible to rectify it like hiring a defensive coach. It isn't a sign of weakness but the opposite. I think Steve Clarke is knocking around doing very little. Instead Rodgers seems to be looking for more and more control. One man can't run a club the size of Liverpool. It's foolish to even try and I think had Rodgers more experience he would realise this.

Pride before a fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Carra on MNF says B Rod doesn't focus on defending, only on playing nice football basically.

lol, hubris.

They'll get you for that ****.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, hubris.

They'll get you for that ****.

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Loan watch (after a fashion) -

Divock Origi helped Lille to a shock 3-0 win over Toulouse and today was awarded Promising Youngster of the Year 2014 by the Belgian Sportsman of the Year award panel.
    Jordon Ibe played the 2nd half of Derbys 2-0 defeat by Middlesbrough
    Andre Wisdom played full game in 1-0 home win against Villa.

U18s beat Bradford 2-0 in FA Youth Cup and play Derby County in next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

What do you mean?

LOL = Laugh out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    LOL = Laugh out loud.

This post made me do exactly that.

mosstin wrote: »
    LOL = Laugh out loud.

Oh yeah.

...haha lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=318844.0

Reading this you can imagine how frustrating it is for Rodgers to be dealing with this.

Reading boards.ie lfc thread - we have **** supporters.

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

One of them would have checked the flight of the ball and rose like a salmon and dealt with it.

What a wonderful turn of phrase :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sh*t supporters because they won't gather around the manager and support his on going petulance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

joe123 wrote: »

Reading this you can imagine how frustrating it is for Rodgers to be dealing with this.

-

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the transfer committee to see the manager refuse to play the players signed in the summer based purely on the fact they didn't sign who Rogders wanted. If he didn't like the set-up, he shouldn't have signed his contract extension in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the transfer committee to see the manager refuse to play the players signed in the summer based purely on the fact they didn't sign who Rogders wanted. If he didn't like the set-up, he shouldn't have signed his contract extension in the summer.

Brendans basicly throwing his toys out of the pram but seriously the transfer committee has got to go and that idiotic analytics expert too. This moneyball policy is ludicrous

Perhaps its the constant stand off between Brendan and the committee which means were missing out on targets. I say give the gaffer full control and let him **** it up himself, it cant be much worse than the shambles already. If its true that he wanted Eriksen and Bony then why not give it a go, the committee evidently isnt working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rafa 'threw his toys out' with the 'I must focus on training and managing my team' or something of the sorts? But as it turned out, he had to make a stand and bring attention to what was going on.

Anyhow, not sure what is going on really, but we are a top TOP laugh, such value to support! <3 LFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Brendans basicly throwing his toys out of the pram but seriously the transfer committee has got to go and that idiotic analytics expert too. This moneyball policy is ludicrous

Perhaps its the constant stand off between Brendan and the committee which means were missing out on targets. I say give the gaffer full control and let him **** it up himself, it cant be much worse than the shambles already. If its true that he wanted Eriksen and Bony then why not give it a go, the committee evidently isnt working

Debatable. One thing I will say is that this squad is not the 11th best in the league. We might have over-paid for some of the players but they are not being coach or managed to the best of their ability. Why will that change if Rodgers has full control? It's great saying he wanted Bony and Erkisen, but he also wanted Lovren.

Well, if he didnt, he should have had full control of signings but fir me thats just irrelevant right now. Team selections, tactics and man management have gone through the ****ing floor and im fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How is £25m on Lallana(26) and £20m on Lovren (25) moneyball the club would never be selling them on for a profit.

£20 Markovic(20) isn't a moneyball signing either.

That is our 3 biggest outlays this summer none of which can be seen as moneyball they can't even be seen for value for money spent.

Liverpool set to replace under-fire Simon Mignolet with… Norwich keeper John Ruddy

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/415479/Liverpool-set-replace-under-fire-Simon-Mignolet-Norwich-keeper-John-Ruddy

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    lol

If anyone needs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool set to replace under-fire Simon Mignolet with… Norwich keeper John Ruddy

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/415479/Liverpool-set-replace-under-fire-Simon-Mignolet-Norwich-keeper-John-Ruddy

At least he will not have to face Luis ...... Oh wait :)

• Advertisement

Rafa though was trying to gain control so that he could wrestle it away from the idiots we had employed at the club. Once he got control in an area he went out and employed the best people he could find in the world for the different jobs like nutritionist, youth coaches, goal keeping coaches, scouts etc. He surrounded himself with the best people he could as he knew that ends up maximises his chances of succeeding. Even if you read about the transfers, often Rafa left the judgments to his scouting network and lived and died on their recommendations. Chief scout Eduardo Macia ended up being the swaying decision in Aquilani based on his previous record. At the end of the day the setup Rafa employed probably wasn't massively different, he put faith in a team of scouts to find him players.

As Liverpool manager you need to delegate that kind of responsibility as you just won't have time to scout the players you need extensively yourself. I look at the team of coaches Rodgers has around him and I can't help but wonder are they really the elite of the profession he could employ? Does he have the extensive knowledge Rafa had of the footballing world to go out and build that team throughout the club. Personally I don't trust him with that responsibility, mainly because he has no experience or track record of ever doing it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

MR NINE wrote: »
    The most telling thing from that interview is that Pearce said Henry and Werner are still completely behind Rodgers. Now I will admit he could be lying for some agenda or some such but it flies in the face of the likes of Lucky Lloyd stating as fact thst rodgers wont be here much longer. He could be here a while yet. Just coz you want him sacked doesnt mean hes gone. The matchgoing fans are still behind him and the board are seemingly still behind him.

For me personally ill reserve judgement on rodgers and his future prospects until some time in february. The jan window is huge and will tell us a lot more about the transfer situation. If sign a gk and money is made available and the board will seemingly be backing rodgers. If no signings are made in jan and more ****e is leaked about the committee and so on then i will be fearing the worst for rodgers.

Sorry, but as someone who was at OT yesterday, I can categorically say the match going fans are not entirely behind him. While we aren't booing yet, there was an awful lot of moaning, and arguments breaking out, among regulars. The slowness in making substitutions for aspects of game that clearly weren't working was biggest bone of contention, but you can be sure that the post analysis will have made Jones' selection piss off a great many more of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was this posted? Carra's take on Lovren.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cmfus_rec3453_sport

The thing about Lovren is he had two DM's protecting him at Southampton.

So bring him to club that doesn't use one DM he is never going to be the same player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sorry, but as someone who was at OT yesterday, I can categorically say the match going fans are not entirely behind him. While we aren't booing yet, there was an awful lot of moaning, and arguments breaking out, among regulars. The slowness in making substitutions for aspects of game that clearly weren't working was biggest bone of contention, but you can be sure that the post analysis will have made Jones' selection piss off a great many more of us.

Was dead wasn't it. Strange atmosphere. Even before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

niallo27 wrote: »
    Was dead wasn't it. Strange atmosphere. Even before the game.

It was the strangest high profile match I've been at tbh. Spirits kept up from kick off, but more or less gone after one goal, and completely gone after second.... Was weird alright, everyone sort of knew what was coming I suppose but held out hope that United would bring out the performance we've spent months waiting for....

• Advertisement

The Jones thing has got me thinking about his strange use of other players. It seems clear that Sahin was a committee buy. His treatment at the time was incredibly strange. Played as an AM where he looked like a duck out of water. Everyone looking in at the time said he was completely misused. Rodgers is far too good a coach too not realise that. Was he trying to make them look silly? Lots of examples that just don't sit right. Maybe reading too far between the lines but the Jones thing has made me realise the lengths he will go to to prove a point.

Knex. wrote: »
    Was this posted? Carra's take on Lovren.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cmfus_rec3453_sport

That seems a fairly insightful piece. The thing with Lovren though is on top of being out of position he is also commiting a huge amount of indivdual defensive errors outside of that. When you think about the two combined it's no wonder we have looked so awful with him in the side. The bit with Toure shows how just doing the simple thing of covering the space has made us look much more solid. How the hell though a couple of pundits on Monday night football are pointing that out while Rodgers hasn't rectified it really does ask serious questions of his ability as a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Debatable. One thing I will say is that this squad is not the 11th best in the league. We might have over-paid for some of the players but they are not being coach or managed to the best of their ability. Why will that change if Rodgers has full control? It's great saying he wanted Bony and Erkisen, but he also wanted Lovren.

True I was meaning to say that Lovren was his player. I also agree with your comments re; the squad but put it this way, where would you rank the quality of squad in the league if its not 11th. To be honest its all fairly screwed up overall but Id rather one party screwing up rather than it being a collective effort plus the fees we have paid for certain players is outrageous, whoevers to blame for that should be given their P45 straight. Its just plain incompetance and desperation. We pay top dollar for these sort of players yet we delay and haggle in negotiations for players such as Costa, Sanchez etc. Fees like those paid for Lallana, lovren Markovic should only be paid for proven talent at the top level who have experience of top level competition not for overachieving players at midtable clubs. Markovic maybe you could make a case for with the club he played for and the fact their a good team who always hold their own in Europe but on one solitary season with them, no way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Must have missed the title he won at Liverpool, and Inter ,and Chelsea ,and Napoli

Titles is not just the League. A title is any trophy won. But carry on with the thanking whoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not that I think Rodgers is a better manager.

It's about the nature of our problems.
    I don't think they're easily fixable by changing a manager, especially not this season (without having the chance to start the season again or having more latitude to sign players).

Maybe we'd be a bit better, but the bulk of the improvement will have to come from signing a striker. Other tweaks might help but they'd be the difference between finishing 7th and 6th.

Maybe Benitez' tactical acumen would help in the cups. Not sure that would warrant the change now rather than in the summer though.

Regardless, I doubt he's available. If we're already paying off Brendan, having to pay off Benitez would start to make the choice pretty expensive.

I am not advocating change now. BR should get to the end of the season.

I actually just hate seeing what RB achieved being eroded. a lot of people including those connected to the team said last year was the closest we got to the league in decades well it wasn't we nearly won it in 2008-09 and still its out highest points finish ever.

He had us highest seeded team in Europe for a four years I think?{I could be incorrect in length} This year we were pathetic in Europe.

We were feared and played some scintillating football. We had players bought on potential and finished up world class and making a lot of money on.

He was able to stand up to more powerful people and institutions and fight our corner. He showed up the chancers that was running the club and ultimately paid with his job. His only crime was wanting the best!

As for his time in Napoli he lost two of the best players Napoli had since Maradonna and still finished the same position as the season before and added a cup which I think was Napoli first in decades. He is a first class BOSS. Add to the fact that in Italy the clubs pay **** in wages so thus get not the best players in Europe and this can be seen on how as a whole they are failing to really challenge in Europe in any competitions.

As for BR I feel sympathy for him he did an excellent job last year but until he wins something or at least maintains a consistent vision that lets us all see where we are going well then he is going to be an also ran. His first season was up and down, next season full steam ahead and this one is a disaster so far he can blame the committee or whatever it is all he wants but I am sure he knew full well when agreeing to take the job that it was in place so how can he blame all his ills on it now? Also the committee doesn't make the stupid decision of putting SG in a defensive position when he has no one to aim for from there and offers no protection to those behind him.

Simon Mignolet is another problem that was not sorted during the summer he cost points last year and everyone knew he was a liability and thus the same excuses are given he is playing in front of a dodgy defence but DDG for Utd is playing with an arguably worse defensive unit in front of him but he is thriving? This is the biggest indicator of tactics win matches! LVG has UTD in third yet he has faced similar challenges to us this season but yet his has the acumen to get the points while sometimes playing ****.

Its quite interesting to see some players falling out with the manager this year when things are going badly compared to last years gushings of him it shows what a really fickle industry it is.

He has my support till the end of the season, he deserves that and I hope he comes good, I have my doubts because I think a mentality has set in and its not an easy one to get rid off.

• Advertisement

Good day of posting yesterday. Big points:

- Rodgers is locked in a struggle with the transfer committee and his selections may be politically motivated;
    - Carra indicates on MNF that Rodgers does no defensive work, just focuses on playing nice ball;
    - two lads at the game on Sunday indicate that the patience of the hard core match going support is wearing thin;

We're in the ****, great craic altogether. :(

joe123 wrote: »

-

Just so we're crystal clear. I support the club. I support the team. I reserve the right to ride any dickhead manager out on a rail when he isn't performing. If Hodgson had to go and Rodgers is performing worse in the league after two full years of transfers to mould his squad there's going to be harsh criticism. Once he starts engaging in politics with the club structure he'd need to be a club legend to retain support. Rodgers is far from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

So what do you guys think Sterling should be offered now? He has been shown to be very limited in fron of goals in recent goals and has actually deteriorated in that area in my view.

Real Madrid? Not a chance in my mind. The paucity of his efforts in recent games will have been very clear to them.

If I was FSG I would play hardball on the £70k contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dixiefly wrote: »
    So what do you guys think Sterling should be offered now? He has been shown to be very limited in fron of goals in recent goals and has actually deteriorated in that area in my view.

Real Madrid? Not a chance in my mind. The paucity of his efforts in recent games will have been very clear to them.

If I was FSG I would play hardball on the £70k contract.

pay him something similar to what the other top earners are getting at the club.If he is going to play every game and start up front at Old Trafford, his wages must reflect his importance to the team.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    pay him something similar to what the other top earners are getting at the club.If he is going to play every game and start up front at Old Trafford, his wages must reflect his importance to the team.

Luje Shaw is only on 50k a week max and he got a move to the richest club or one of the richest.

If you give sterling 120 now you will have to resign him in 3 years..increasing again and again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Luje Shaw is only on 50k a week max and he got a move to the richest club or one of the richest.

If you give sterling 120 now you will have to resign him in 3 years..increasing again and again..

Luke shaw is reported to be earning 120k pee week, even mourinho said his wages demands were too much.

rob316 wrote: »
    Luke shaw is reported to be earning 120k pee week, even mourinho said his wages demands were too much.

http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/manchester-united-players-salaries-list/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Falcao 280 K !!!! not a bad few quid for a bit part player :eek::eek:

breghall wrote: »
    Falcao 280 K !!!! not a bad few quid for a bit part player :eek::eek:

And Monaco are still paying him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Rodgers just signed a new contract. His stock at that point was at an all time high. If he didn't like the transfer committee set up then was his chance to change it.

He has had good financial backing, great support from the fans and a good base to push on this summer. These reports of him not playing certain players as they were other peoples signings seem like a convenient lie to deflect blame on Rodgers. It makes little sense otherwise.

If there is these battles actually going on behind the scenes his days are numbered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement