Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I reserve the right to ride any dickhead manager out on a rail when he isn't performing.

Football. The sport of kings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

breghall wrote: »
    Falcao 280 K !!!! not a bad few quid for a bit part player :eek::eek:

Didn't ye spend the guts of 60-70m on bit part players this year?

How many games have Lallana, Markovic and Lambert played this year?

Not even gonna mention balo, yed be better off if he played no part at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Didn't ye spend the guts of 60-70m on bit part players this year?

How many games have Lallana, Markovic and Lambert played this year?

Not even gonna mention balo, yed be better off if he played no part at all.

This is the problem, a lot of our players bought are still being benched over Joe ****ing Allen.....

I think the pressure has finally gotten to Rodgers, if we lose at Bournemouth he could be walking before the Arsenal game.

Vicxas wrote: »
    This is the problem, a lot of our players bought are still being benched over Joe ****ing Allen.....

I think the pressure has finally gotten to Rodgers, if we lose at Bournemouth he could be walking before the Arsenal game.

I can't see you guys losing to Bournemouth though in fairness!

Also

In situations like this Sterling one I think there's only two choices, you either

A) Think he's worth the money and give it to him.

B) Don't think he's worth the money, give it to him anyway to tie him down to a contact, and then "reluctantly" sell him in the summer or after for decent cash.

I would honestly be very surprised if he doesn't get a new contract, I think FSG would be making a mistake not to tie him down.

Also

In situations like this Sterling one I think there's only two choices, you either

A) Think he's worth the money and give it to him.

B) Don't think he's worth the money, give it to him anyway to tie him down to a contact, and then "reluctantly" sell him in the summer or after for decent cash.

I would honestly be very surprised if he doesn't get a new contract, I think FSG would be making a mistake not to tie him down.

I think they should commit to tie him down too, hes far too valuable to be selling at 18 years old and with limitless potential.

He needs to stop getting dicked around though, being put on against UTD and told "Youre the main striker, go get them" is quite unfair considering Lambert AND Borini are both fit.

Also, i dont think Rodgers is going to get any more money in January, he pissed away 100M on players he doesnt even play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its not really the problem.

Problem is that they are not good enough. Lallana aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Bournemouth are top of the Championship, unbeaten in 10+ games (winning most of them). They're scoring goals for fun and are the home team.

It's a nightmare tie for Rodgers tbh. He has little to gain credit wise if he wins but a hell of a lot to lose.

Blatter wrote: »
    Bournemouth are top of the Championship, unbeaten in 10+ games (winning most of them). They're scoring goals for fun and are the home team.

It's a nightmare tie for Rodgers tbh. He has little to gain credit wise if he wins but a hell of a lot to lose.

Still don't see it happening though, Bournemouth have done well but they are still a sizable few steps down from Liverpool.

Unless Jones starts that is, the guy is a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think they should commit to tie him down too, hes far too valuable to be selling at 18 years old and with limitless potential.

Limitless potential?!? Behave. He's the same as Aaron Lennon circa 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Still don't see it happening though, Bournemouth have done well but they are still a sizable few steps down from Liverpool.

Unless Jones starts that is, the guy is a wildcard.
    Jones is starting, Rodgers has confirmed.

I'd say Bournemouth are performing better than a few PL teams at the minute. They have the potential to be a real threat imo.

DeanAustin wrote: »

Point taken, limitless may be too generous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Sterling would fit right in at Madrid...quality player. One of the worlds best 20 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If we lose tomorrow and lose to Arsenal, do you think FGS will step in and make the call? Really have no faith that we can even get anything against a hugely in-form Bournemouth side right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

The team I'd go with against Bournemouth would be:

.................Mignolet
    Johnson...Toure.....Sakho....Moreno
    Markovic....Henderson...Can....Sterling
    ................Lambert
    ................Balotelli

I'd like to see us play with two proper wingers and two forwards. Lets take the game to Bournmouth and try get some goals. Give them something to worry about.

NEDDURC wrote: »

................Lambert

I'd like to see us play with two proper wingers and two forwards. Lets take the game to Bournmouth and try get some goals. Give them something to worry about.

Mignolet is dropped indefinitely apparently.

• Advertisement

Are you smoking Crack?

If you can't see the difference between Sterling and Lennon, I think football is the wrong sport for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just so we're crystal clear. I support the club. I support the team. I reserve the right to ride any dickhead manager out on a rail when he isn't performing. If Hodgson had to go and Rodgers is performing worse in the league after two full years of transfers to mould his squad there's going to be harsh criticism. Once he starts engaging in politics with the club structure he'd need to be a club legend to retain support. Rodgers is far from that.

Yep we have great fans and great posters. :rolleyes:

This is the tripe I am on about. Would love to go back over last season and call out the posters/new regs that now slate Rodgers at any opportunity who applauded him last season and especially the posters who you would not see post a single post for days/weeks when things were going well.

Embarrassing.

The term supporter is lost on so many. Rodgers is'nt a club legend, but what he brought us to last season has earned him time.

If the transfer committee power struggle was Rafa we would have a very different response from many on here.

Rodgers has done plenty wrong this season and his team selection for the Basel game probably cost us the three points. Playing Sterling up front against United was not one of them. We had the most movement/chance creation weve had in ages in that game. Its just a pity we don't have a good enough striker to dislodge Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Sterling would fit right in at Madrid...quality player. One of the worlds best 20 year olds.

Of course he would fit in, if their policy changes to just hiring 20 year olds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think we'll draw with Bournemouth and draw with Arsenal and Rodgers will say we've turned a corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the transfer committee to see the manager refuse to play the players signed in the summer based purely on the fact they didn't sign who Rogders wanted. If he didn't like the set-up, he shouldn't have signed his contract extension in the summer.

Defending a transfer committee over your clubs manager. Wow I really have seen it all now.

Are people that much against Rodgers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

dixiefly wrote: »
    So what do you guys think Sterling should be offered now? He has been shown to be very limited in fron of goals in recent goals and has actually deteriorated in that area in my view.

Real Madrid? Not a chance in my mind. The paucity of his efforts in recent games will have been very clear to them.

If I was FSG I would play hardball on the £70k contract.

He had a shocker on Sunday but is still one of our best players. Based on current wage levels I wouldn't have a huge issue with the club giving him a £60k or £70k per week package or a slighter lower base + incentive or loyalty payments. I'd prefer us to have 4 "Sterlings" + £20k a week loose change than 1 Rooney!

Of all our problems, the value of Sterlings contract certainly isn't the main one...

Of course he would fit in, if their policy changes to just hiring 20 year olds.

There you go again.

Never said they wanted to sign him.

I suppose I'd be talking nonsense if I said Neuer would fit in at Liverpool too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Are you smoking Crack?

If you can't see the difference between Sterling and Lennon, I think football is the wrong sport for you.

I think it's a pretty solid comparison. Lots of nice trickery, little substantial end product.
    joe123 wrote: »
    Defending a transfer committee over your clubs manager. Wow I really have seen it all now.

Are people that much against Rodgers?

If the manager is purposely trying to sabotage the club then yes I am that much against Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If we lose tomorrow and lose to Arsenal, do you think FGS will step in and make the call? Really have no faith that we can even get anything against a hugely in-form Bournemouth side right now.

Absolutely. I think his position would be untenable with two further losses on the bounce.
    joe123 wrote: »
    Yep we have great fans and great posters. :rolleyes:

This is the tripe I am on about. Would love to go back over last season and call out the posters/new regs that now slate Rodgers at any opportunity who applauded him last season and especially the posters who you would not see post a single post for days/weeks when things were going well.

Embarrassing.

The term supporter is lost on so many. Rodgers is'nt a club legend, but what he brought us to last season has earned him time.

If the transfer committee power struggle was Rafa we would have a very different response from many on here.

Rodgers has done plenty wrong this season and his team selection for the Basel game probably cost us the three points. Playing Sterling up front against United was not one of them. We had the most movement/chance creation weve had in ages in that game. Its just a pity we don't have a good enough striker to dislodge Sterling.

Benitez WAS harshly criticised on here for his politicking towards the end. Not everyone disagreed with him mind and you have to remember that we stayed in the hunt for 4th place right the way through 2009 / 10 and lost in extra time in a European semi final. And that it was his first shaky season in six, after he'd brought us to a consistent level of competitiveness some of us wondered was beyond us in the modern era. It would also be utterly disingenuous to ignore the fact that the context of the politicking was that G & H were running the club into the ground financially.

So I backed Benitez at the time because there were lots of reasons to. It just wasn't falling apart to the extent we are experiencing this season. Rodgers has a lower points total through 16 games and has failed in a much weaker CL group.

I think it's a pretty solid comparison. Lots of nice trickery, little substantial end product.

Thats bull**** imo.

He has end product when he has other players to interact with.

You can't stick a 20 year with his physique up front on his own and expect him to be the battering ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

If the manager is purposely trying to sabotage the club then yes I am that much against Rodgers.

Thats a different kettle of fish entirely and if something like that was true then fair enough someones head will be on the line and ultimately it will be the manager. But one thing that needs to be sorted first... who the **** is on this transfer committee (other than Ayre) and why don't they come out and say something at this crisis point the club are in. Rodgers is getting the brunt of everything when the man in the moon knows half those signings weren't his making..

noodler wrote: »
    Thats bull**** imo.

He has end product when he has other players to interact with.

You can't stick a 20 year with his physique up front on his own and expect him to be the battering ram.

I'm talking about all season, not just Sunday. So far we've only seen that he has end product when he has one world class striker and one borderline one playing ahead of him. Also, no one expected him to be a battering ram. I do expect him to convert at least one of his 3 glorious chances though.

He has the intelligence and skill to play the number 10 role, which aaron Lennon would never be able to do, comparing them is crazy!

He's scored something like 15-16 goals so far for Liverpool, Lennon has less than 40 in his career I'd wager, I don't think it's a fair comparison at all really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

IMO Rodgers has earned the right to get the rest of this season to turn things around, i still think he made the right call on formation and team selection last Sunday for the most part, he wanted to go with a team that created more chances and that's exactly what we got, it's just a pity we were not able to finish any of them.

As for the comparison between Sterling and Lennon, they both have the ability and pace to beat a man and that's where it stops, Sterling has better movement is more intelligent and has an end product(granted the end product needs to be more consistent).
    If it meant getting him signed to a new long term deal i'd have no problem giving him 100k a week or whatever he's after, i think he's worth it.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thats a different kettle of fish entirely and if something like that was true then fair enough someones head will be on the line and ultimately it will be the manager. But one thing that needs to be sorted first... who the **** is on this transfer committee (other than Ayre) and why don't they come out and say something at this crisis point the club are in. Rodgers is getting the brunt of everything when the man in the moon knows half those signings weren't his making..

Transfer committee is supposedly:
    Ian Ayre -
    Dave Fallow - Head of scouting at Manchester city previously
    Michael Edwards - stats nerd
    Barry hunter - Former Manchester city scout

What are they meant to come out and say?

- "Maybe if Rodgers picked the player we bought we'd have a better idea of how good they are?"

- "Maybe if Rodgers actually tried to coach our defenders they'd perform better"

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thats a different kettle of fish entirely and if something like that was true then fair enough someones head will be on the line and ultimately it will be the manager. But one thing that needs to be sorted first... who the fuk is on this transfer committee (other than Ayre) and why don't they come out and say something at this crisis point the club are in. Rodgers is getting the brunt of everything when the man in the moon knows half those signings weren't his making..

I know right? Rodgers must have signed:

Sturridge
    Lallana
    Moreno
    Toure

And then the committee is responsible for:

Markovic
    Balotelli
    Lovren
    Can
    Borini
    Allen
    Assaidi
    Sakho
    Ilori
    Manquillo

Coutinho's probably on the down at the moment so I guess he used to be a Rodger's signing but is now a committee one? Let us know if you want to move anyone out of the committee to Rodgers list also.

Transfer committee is supposedly:
    Ian Ayre -
    Dave Fallow - Head of scouting at Manchester city previously
    Michael Edwards - stats nerd
    Barry hunter - Former Manchester city scout

What are they meant to come out and say?

- "Maybe if Rodgers picked the player we bought we'd have a better idea of how good they are?"

- "Maybe if Rodgers actually tried to coach our defenders they'd perform better"

They could say Brendan wanted these players and didn't object to signing them.

Also, transfer committee stuff aside - the revelation from Carra last night on MNF that Rodgers doesn't focus on defensive stuff is ****ing bizarre though not in the least surprising. We've always looked badly coached in this aspect of the game but the insistence on not addressing the problem is just ludicrous. Maybe he wants the sack?

They could say Brendan wanted these players and didn't object to signing them.

Let's be honest, they can't publicly come out and say anything. Talk about creating an even bigger cluster **** if they did.

Let's be honest, they can't publicly come out and say anything. Talk about creating an even bigger cluster **** if they did.

They could "leak" it like it seems to be leaked from rodgers side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dixiefly wrote: »
    So what do you guys think Sterling should be offered now? He has been shown to be very limited in fron of goals in recent goals and has actually deteriorated in that area in my view.

Real Madrid? Not a chance in my mind. The paucity of his efforts in recent games will have been very clear to them.

If I was FSG I would play hardball on the £70k contract.

I'd stick a bet on each week and pay him the winnings, we'd just have to hope we didn't lose the dockets. Knowhaumsayin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Also, transfer committee stuff aside - the revelation from Carra last night on MNF that Rodgers doesn't focus on defensive stuff is ****ing bizarre though not in the least surprising. We've always looked badly coached in this aspect of the game but the insistence on not addressing the problem is just ludicrous. Maybe he wants the sack?

Carra has been out of the squad for a long time now. How does he know we don't focus more on the defensive side of the game in training

They could "leak" it like it seems to be leaked from rodgers side.

What good would leaking it do? Airing this through various leaks is just bizarre and if don by Rodgers simply points to another fact he seems to have lost the plot.

It's all nonsense anyway:

- start addressing the defensive issues on the coaching field;
    - start addressing the inability to press as a team consistently like last year on the coaching field;
    - start addressing the issues with set pieces on the coaching field;
    - stop blacklisting players to prove a point;
    - start selecting on the basis of form;

Leaking stuff to the press to try and paint a picture seems like the wrong way to use your energy.

• Advertisement

Carra has been out of the squad for a long time now. How does he know we don't focus more on the defensive side of the game in training

I know right, things have obviously changed big time in terms of our average goals conceded and defensive cohesion. And Carra probably has zero contact with any of the current squad, none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I would imagine he still talks to Gerrard from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think of Carra as being a mouthpiece for Gerrard ( at times)

If Carra is saying now that Rodgers doesn't work on defensive training ( which is obvious for the world to see) then its coming from inside the team.

Our D players rarely move or defend as a unit, more like a bunch of drunk old men.

We've been calling for a defensive coach for months and we're just plebeians on a fan forum

I'm talking about all season, not just Sunday. So far we've only seen that he has end product when he has one world class striker and one borderline one playing ahead of him. Also, no one expected him to be a battering ram. I do expect him to convert at least one of his 3 glorious chances though.

Fine.

Hang an overused, over exposed, over isolated 20 year old for missing a few chances at OT.

If he is at the tip of the attack, as he so often is with the slowness of Lambert and laziness of Mario, then he will be forced to be the battering ram with proportionate physical attention of multiple defenders.

It is incredibly evident to me that Sterling would be effective with a halfway decent striker as he was the two times this season where Sturridge was fit.

noodler wrote: »
    Fine.

Hang an overused, over exposed, over isolated 20 year old for missing a few chances at OT.

If he is at the tip of the attack, as he so often is with the slowness of Lambert and laziness of Mario, then he will be forced to be the battering ram with proportionate physical attention of multiple defenders.

It is incredibly evident to me that Sterling would be effective with a halfway decent striker as he was the two times this season where Sturridge was fit.

So would the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If Carra is saying now that Rodgers doesn't work on defensive training ( which is obvious for the world to see) then its coming from inside the team.

This is correct, and would absolutely point to Rodgers having lost the dressing room.

If someone is feeding tales to Carragher, then there is something wrong.

I really doubt Carragher would start saying stuff like that otherwise.

Rodgers has lost/is losing the dressing room, and Carragher is on the players' side of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

NEDDURC wrote: »

................Lambert

For me, Sterling has to be rested. He's been working his socks off (I know it ahs been for little reward) and deserves a break.

Markovic has to play as well.

So would the rest of the team.

Nope.

It isn't evident to me that Lambert, Markovic, Henderson, Mario, Allen, Lovren, Skrtel etc are only suffering because we lack a striker.

Their problems seem more deeply ingrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Luje Shaw is only on 50k a week max and he got a move to the richest club or one of the richest.

If you give sterling 120 now you will have to resign him in 3 years..increasing again and again..

If he is still improving at the current rate and he is still an integral part of the team, he will be worth giving an another pay rise to.
    Luke Shaw is a defender. For whatever reason most defenders are on less than strikers and forwards.
    Unless you're Glen Johnson who gets over a 100 grand a week. Actually, looking at his wages, you'd have to be mad not to cave into Sterling's demands.
    Or at least meet him half way.

I think if we lose in the league cup, I'd start thinking about doing something.
    4th is gone, the team have shown nothing this year to say they can go on a consistent winning run or even a long undefeated run.
    Utd, City and Chelsea are guaranteed top 4 imo and only Arsenal are in any way shaky. I can't see us out performing any of those over the remainder of the season.
    5th place and significant runs in the cups with at least one cup as a return (preferably the UEFA Cup) for the endeavours here would be an okay return in my opinion. Couple that with an obvious sign of return to previous attacking prowess and not conceding bags of goals and Rodgers deserves another shot next year.
    Its a clusterfcuk of a season so far but we can still get silverware from 3 cups and the discourse of many on here since I've joined, is that silverware is better than top 4.
    Yet, many of those that have pushed this narrative previously, are not this year and find that strange.
    If Rodgers can get a cup and qualify for the champions league, he will have done a more than acceptable job.
    Last year is last year but too many are prepared to forget that or underestimate Rodgers part in it. Whereas other managers we have had, we let put in shoddy performances on a consistent basis on the back of stuff they did years previous.
    The double standards are appalling.
    We are having a bad year, worse than Roy's tenure so far but Roy never had a team playing like Rodgers did last year and in the closing half of the year before. For that Rodgers should be getting more support.

And I really don't care what Carragher (or Gerrard, if Jamie is his mouthpeice) have to say about our defending. Maybe I misremembering but did those two not play a part in the arrival of Roy and were happy with the signing of the golf ball Messi (Joe cole)?
    Jamie was a great player for us and I loved watching him play and throw his body on the line but he has an agenda. What it is I don't know but I'd take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.
    Rodgers hasn't done at all well coaching the defence but in fairness he didn't tell Lovern to do what he did on Sunday. He doesn't still Skrtel to be a bizarro world version of a defender at times. A lot of goals are down to simple errors.
    What we can blame Rogers for is not picking good partnerships in the middle of the defence and not putting enough protection in front of them.

I've defended Joe Allen but sadly I think its time for him to be dropped and only played if Can, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard and whoever else can play in midfield is injured.

Rodgers needs to cope on and swallow his pride as well and drop Jones with immediate effect and throw Mignolet back in. Can needs to get a chance to show his stuff on a regular basis - Allen was giving pucks of time. Markovic needs to be played and give him some confidence, he's a young player in a strange country at a massive club, Rodgers needs to help him out a bit.
    And Sakho and Toure should be our centre back pairing with Lucas and Can in front of them.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd stick a bet on each week and pay him the winnings, we'd just have to hope we didnae lose the dockets. Knowhaumsayin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sterling to Bayern Munich if Reus heads to Real Madrid (says Bild!)
    Frank de Boer to replace Rodgers in the summer - says lots of low rent publications.
    January bid for Lacazette, again the red tops

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement