Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sterling to Bayern Munich if Reus heads to Real Madrid (says Bild!)
    Frank de Boer to replace Rodgers in the summer - says lots of low rent publications.
    January bid for Lacazette, again the red tops

I would deal on Lacazette being our only piece of business in January. It would go a long way to solving our number 1 problem.

He has the pace and flexibility, and most of all the goals, we are desperately lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Real feeling of the last days of this regime tbh. He needs to win lots of games between now and the middle of January.

I'd say:

Cup W
    League D
    League W
    League D
    League W
    League W
    Cup W

would dig him out of it. The more losses / draws you add in there the more likely his sacking becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Are you smoking Crack?

If you can't see the difference between Sterling and Lennon, I think football is the wrong sport for you.

Liverpool is as high as he will go without flopping. Mark my words. Just another Wright Phillips or Lennon. Fast, skillful and no brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

If Liverpool get thrown out of the Capital One to Bournemouth and then lose to Arsenal (signaling defeats to all top 4 rivals - Chelsea, City, United, and Arsenal) then top 4 is gone.

I think that will be it for Rodgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Liverpool is as high as he will go without flopping. Mark my words. Just another Wright Phillips or Lennon. Fast, skillful and no brain.

Who are the wingers 20 or under better than STerling at present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Morzadec wrote: »
    I would deal on Lacazette being our only piece of business in January. It would go a long way to solving our number 1 problem.

He has the pace and flexibility, and most of all the goals, we are desperately lacking.

Thats if Lacazette really is our number 1 target and we dont just do a u-turn and go off and sign someone really overrated or else bring Origi back who at this moment in time will not solve our problems as hes not an out and out goalscorer

Lacazette would cost a bomb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Lacazette would cost a bomb?

Hes quoted at 15 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Little ****!

Meh,hard to blame him really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who are the wingers 20 or under better than STerling at present?

Sterlings not really a winger in the traditional sense, he is more a number 10 if you wanna give him a title.

Some very good young players in similar positions 20 or under? Ill contribute sure

Keita
    Bruma
    Escoboza
    Berardi
    Fagundez
    Deulofeu
    Boetius
    Depay
    The Ox
    Piazon

Will 10 do?

Like sterling all are very talented, showing some serious potential. Who knows how they will turn out? I would worry a little about how much football Sterling has played already, his first team appearances for Liverpool at such a young age is phenomenal, though could maybe harm him down the line

I like him, hope he fulfills his potential, just at another club obviously. Maybe the team he supported as a kid? ;) Could see him being targeted by Arsenal in the future, would be a nice fit for them if Liverpool fail to progress and he continues to improve and fulfill his potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Titles is not just the League. A title is any trophy won. But carry on with the thanking whoring.

Is it though ,really ?
    Do people really think Darren Ferguson is a title winning manager ?

I think trophy is the word to use when you mean trophy.

Is it though ,really ?
    Do people really think Darren Ferguson is a title winning manager ?

I think trophy is the word to use when you mean trophy.

Champions League...just a trophy. lol

kryogen wrote: »
    Sterlings not really a winger in the traditional sense, he is more a number 10 if you wanna give him a title.

Some very good young players in similar positions 20 or under? Ill contribute sure

Keita
    Bruma
    Escoboza
    Berardi
    Fagundez
    Deulofeu
    Boetius
    Depay
    The Ox
    Piazon

Will 10 do?

Like sterling all are very talented, showing some serious potential. Who knows how they will turn out? I would worry a little about how much football Sterling has played already, his first team appearances for Liverpool at such a young age is phenomenal, though could maybe harm him down the line

I like him, hope he fulfills his potential, just at another club obviously. Maybe the team he supported as a kid? ;) Could see him being targeted by Arsenal in the future, would be a nice fit for them if Liverpool fail to progress and he continues to improve and fulfill his potential

I meant premier league seeing as he was the next "Lennon" or "SWP".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Champions League...just a trophy. lol

Trophies are important ,I have cherished every single one I have seen Liverpool win and been upset and cranky for days after coming close and losing out. in the last 25 years none more enjoyable than that Champions league win .
    I do not think I am undervaluing the importance of trophies ,I just think saying every trophy is a title is just plain wrong ,Call me Pedantic Pat if you like.

The competition is FA Cup.
    The title is Champions of the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think sterling is slightly overrated his end product is quite poor. He will look a lot better when sturridge comes back as sturridges pace will create more space for him and he will no longer be our key attacking threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I meant premier league seeing as he was the next "Lennon" or "SWP".

Name all the wingers in the Premier League under 20 who are better than Lennon or SWP were at that age.

Trophies are important ,I have cherished every single one I have seen Liverpool win and been upset and cranky for days after coming close and losing out. in the last 25 years none more enjoyable than that Champions league win .
    I do not think I am undervaluing the importance of trophies ,I just think saying every trophy is a title is just plain wrong ,Call me Pedantic Pat if you like.

Ah you're alright. I mostly understand what you mean also - though I disagree that it detracts from the manager in question as much as you do. :)

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    And I really don't care what Carragher (or Gerrard, if Jamie is his mouthpeice) have to say about our defending. Maybe I misremembering but did those two not play a part in the arrival of Roy and were happy with the signing of the golf ball Messi (Joe cole)?
    Jamie was a great player for us and I loved watching him play and throw his body on the line but he has an agenda. What it is I don't know but I'd take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.

What? You don't care what Carragher has to say about defending? Are you having a laugh? Not only is the man a Liverpool legend but he is now highly respected as an analyst. Everyone has been raving about the Neville/ Carragher MNF for a year. The points he makes on Lovren in said video seem obvious once he has made them.

To try and suggest Gerrard and Carragher are some variety of spoofers because of any erstwhile support of Roy Hodgson or Joe Cole is shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have to laugh at the idea of people even commenting on what Carra said about Rodgers coaching of the defenders :eek:. I thought everyone knew It was we'll score more than the opposition, thats why we had such an entertaining last season. Carra also mentioned that he never went to old trafford as a player and had so many chances, he then went on to say that the football he played under Houllier and Benitez was regarded as boring.

I do get that Rodgers has won Fck all compared to the past two managers but for the football he had us playing last season, I still think he should be given more time to try and rectify our season.

kryogen wrote: »

Sterling is most assuredly not a no.10, he is a wing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the idea of people even commenting on what Carra said about Rodgers coaching of the defenders :eek:. I thought everyone knew It was we'll score more than the opposition, thats why we had such an entertaining last season. Carra also mentioned that he never went to old trafford as a player and had so many chances, he then went on to say that the football he played under Houllier and Benitez was regarded as boring.

I do get that Rodgers has won Fck all compared to the past two managers but for the football he had us playing last season, I still think he should be given more time to try and rectify our season.

If he was showing signs of it understanding the problem, I'd agree - but he hasn't. It's still as bad as it was when he took over. Either the defenders he's brought in are not good enoguh (which I think they are) or the system/coaching is at fault. And if the later, then he shows no signs of accepting this. What ames you think he will any time soon?

I'm all for patience when I see signs of improvlement, but I see nothing at the moment.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sterling is a number 10 in the correct system, a winger in other systems.

He needs to up his game though cos he's got Canos, Ojo, Kent, Wilson, Ibe all on his tail. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If he was showing signs of it understanding the problem, I'd agree - but he hasn't. It's still as bad as it was when he took over. Either the defenders he's brought in are not good enoguh (which I think they are) or the system/coaching is at fault. And if the later, then he shows no signs of accepting this. What ames you think he will any time soon?

I'm all for patience when I see signs of improvlement, but I see nothing at the moment.

If we had someone like Sturridge getting goals then we'd have a lot more points, I think its that easy.

Rodgers did change the system for three games or so and it did make us more solid, so for that reason I think he might be able to find that middle ground and having Sturridge along with maybe Lucas will allow us to win those ugly matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The names are academic, what is it you think he should do? Beat people on the touchline and provide crosses? Don't agree. He should be running at people with the ball at his feet, creating space for others by creating doubt in opposition defences. It's much easier to railroad this type of player to the left or right for opposition defences and limit them to hopeful crosses, more dangerous when attacking centrally.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Quick point of order: some of us have noted that we've looked badly coached as a unit when we don't have the ball and have to defend. The response was often 'lol people on message boards blah, blah'. Carragher confirmed what a lot of us expected.

Moreover, last season was last season. When we're not scoring goals for fun this season he obviously needs to amend things and start working on items we use to get away with.

I get the sense that for some, the philosophy of Rodgersball is blinding them to how indefensible some of these items are. Boring football / samba football you need to:

- win games;
    - fix the basics and establish a solid base to get back to winning games when point one is temporarily beyond you;

As I said yesterday, hubris will get you in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stuff like 'Golf ball Messi' is why this place is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sterling played no. 10 for us on quite a few occasions last year when Rodgers...sorry I mean Suarez played him there.

He was excellent when he was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What? You don't care what Carragher has to say about defending? Are you having a laugh? Not only is the man a Liverpool legend but he is now highly respected as an analyst. Everyone has been raving about the Neville/ Carragher MNF for a year. The points he makes on Lovren in said video seem obvious once he has made them.

To try and suggest Gerrard and Carragher are some variety of spoofers because of any erstwhile support of Roy Hodgson or Joe Cole is shameful.

I don't care what he has to say about how Rodgers is coaching defending or not coaching. In general I have no problem with what he has to say about defending and I always liked him as a player.
    I just think he is too close to the problems at Liverpool to give an unbiased account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"Rodgersball" nice

joe123 wrote: »
    Sterling played no. 10 for us on quite a few occasions last year when Rodgers...sorry I mean Suarez played him there.

He was excellent when he was too.

lol, so salty :pac:

Your boy just needs to win a few games bud. Sport is wonderfully democratic in that sense. Keep winning and they can't get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stuff like 'Golf ball Messi' is why this place is brilliant.

This place is a peppy soaked heck-hole and full of the worse types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Frank de Boer to replace Rodgers in the summer - says lots of low rent publications.

Should have went for Lacazette in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Munich do come in for Sterling he will go.

Frank de Boer I'd be wary of any manager Spurs were interested in :p

Lacazette if it can be done make it so.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    This place is a peppy soaked heck-hole and full of the worse types.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Worst in the world.

cm.jpg

Might be an idea for Sterling to examine how the different goal keepers handle one on situations. He gets in good positions, just seems to not know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    Might be an idea for Sterling to examine how the different goal keepers handle one on situations. He gets in good positions, just seems to not know what to do.

Very true might be a good idea to get the coach to coach him what to do in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I thought that as well until his goal against Man City. Very assured, didnt panic. Last Sunday however, his third chance...just stick it in with your left foot FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still think sterling is one of the biggest talents to have ever come out of the academy, last season he was our 3rd best player behind sturridge and suarez, ahead of gerrard (deal with it) he has dribbling passing and has an impressive amount of strength for a such a small person. Can play either wing, off a striker or indeed as as striker, its vital we get him tied down to a new deal. His finishing is leaving him down but that can be improved, he's only turned 20 and has achieved alot for such a young player.
    Hes struggling a bit this year because he is embarrassingly been asked to shoulder the weight of our attacking play practically by himself which is so wrong and unfair.

• Advertisement

He seems to be pretty bad in general and should focus on his own ability to finish them rather than what the keepers do. The miss on Sunday wasn't down to the keeper he just took too many touches.

He seems to be pretty bad in general and should focus on his own ability to finish them rather than what the keepers do. The miss on Sunday wasn't down to the keeper he just took too many touches.

Should have squared it to Balo once he went left and DDG didn't go down.

Balo was screaming mad at him, livid he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

This the exact type of thing I'm talking about in terms of Rodgers surrounding himself with top level coaches in all aspects of the games. Torres talked at length after he left us how Rafa had a goalkeeping coach work with him in the lead up to games on where the opposition goal keeper was weak, areas to test him from range and the best way to finish one on one against them.
    Torres wrote:
    "We've a Spanish goalkeeping coach and he has been a genius at telling me every week exactly what kind of task lies in front of me in the following match," said Torres.

"Nobody has ever worked with me like this before. It's outstanding. Basically, I know days before the next game exactly the best way to finish a chance against the keeper I'm about to face.

"Xavi Valero tells me precisely what each keeper tends to do - stay big, go down early, if they have a preferred side they try to push you to. It's vital information. I've refined the way I take chances as a result."

He needs to improve his finishing alright, it just doesn't come naturally to him. I think if he had the advantage of knowing that a certain keeper does a certain thing then he could counteract that.

Keeper always rushes, practice your lobbing; keeper stays on his line practice drilling into the corner.

@johndaniels, that's exactly where i got it from :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, so salty :pac:

Your boy just needs to win a few games bud. Sport is wonderfully democratic in that sense. Keep winning and they can't get you.

This I can agree on. I just think people are jumping on Rodgers way to quick considering we don't have a striker. Yes I know this is partly his fault but still.

This I can agree on. I just think people are jumping on Rodgers way to quick considering we don't have a striker. Yes I know this is partly his fault but still.

It's the worst points total since the mid sixties through 16 games!! You just don't get away with that!!

What does not having a striker have to do with your defenders being constantly out of position and it never being corrected since he has been manager? It takes someone with experience to know naturally how to fill gaps and move with a defense like Toure and instantly it makes things better. How the hell has our coaching team not identified problems that a couple of pundits on Monday night football can see? If you can't score goals you at least make sure you are defending properly.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Partly?

• Advertisement

From what I can see there just doesn't seem to have been any attempt made to coach defenders into the new way of playing. Lovren for example at Southampton would have had two DM's in front of him. That meant he very rarely would have needed to leave the centre of defense. He would have had for the most part a guy on either side in front of him covering his fullback. At Liverpool often we have the one DM which means the defender needs to move from the centre to cover the full back (space) and the DM falls back into the centre. All the time this is a fluid transition that each player knows how to react and move with each other.

Our defenders look static and basically content to cover their zone. It was comical to watch the clips of the ball being played down Toure's side, him knowing to move to cover the space and the ball getting played back from the opposition. They recycle it to Lovren's side and he stands statically opening up space all over his side for runners. Defending is a kind of chess match at that level while Lovren and others for us look like they are playing checkers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement