Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Everything is awesome.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/176399-br-why-bournemouth-presents-opportunity

"Our dressing room is very strong," he continued. "We're very fortunate that we've got a captain who is a strong leader in the dressing room. That spirit is something that has been very important in my time here.

"Of course, we're not happy that we're not winning games; these are competitive players and a lot of them nearly won the league last season. They are competitive and they won't be happy with losing.

"But the actual spirit in the group is very strong and that's one of the reasons why I believe that once we get the confidence back - through winning games and performing well, equally - then we'll go into the second half of the season and be much better."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

gafferino wrote: »
    Everything is awesome.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/176399-br-why-bournemouth-presents-opportunity

"Our dressing room is very strong," he continued. "We're very fortunate that we've got a captain who is a strong leader in the dressing room. That spirit is something that has been very important in my time here.

"Of course, we're not happy that we're not winning games; these are competitive players and a lot of them nearly won the league last season. They are competitive and they won't be happy with losing.

"But the actual spirit in the group is very strong and that's one of the reasons why I believe that once we get the confidence back - through winning games and performing well, equally - then we'll go into the second half of the season and be much better."

So more or less this. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTZdjHsPL87D6xUNsZO1tB2wyd23r-s2XeZry_pcOBxYO5oaILjg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So, once we can perform well and win games, we'll regain the confidence to perform well and win games?

Lovely.

5starpool wrote: »
    So, once we can perform well and win games, we'll regain the confidence to perform well and win games?

Lovely.

No wonder Can cannot understand his philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Sky Sports are apparently reporting that LFC will undergo a complete review of their player recruitment strategy. Fallows/Ayre/Rodgers will have a meeting ahead of January.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9608922/transfer-news-liverpool-to-undergo-complete-review-of-player-recruitment-strategy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Sky Sports are apparently reporting that LFC will undergo a complete review of their player recruitment strategy. Fallows/Ayre/Rodgers will have a meeting ahead of January.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9608922/transfer-news-liverpool-to-undergo-complete-review-of-player-recruitment-strategy

Apparantly reporting or reporting that apparantly..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

lol - January? Too late then surely! You'd think we would be lining up targets this month ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Apparantly reporting or reporting that apparantly..?

They are reporting Vinny O Connor has reported it, I said apparently before I found the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Partly?

Have you missed the whole piece from Pearce? Transfer committee vs Rodgers. None of us know whos directly to blame for our horrible transfers so for now both him and the committee have to take blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Who did Rodgers actually sign then, this committee nonsense is a smokescreen .

T-K-O wrote: »

No I haven't missed it, but he is choosing not to play Borini and he chose not to play Lambert in the last game and a half. He chose not to take a gamble on the likes of Jerome Sinclair. All those may be right decisions, but he has chose them himself. If he has so little control over transfers why was he not kicking up stink before? Why has he said in the past he has control over who we sign?

I know there is a transfer committee, but the fact that we haven't played with many striking options lately is down to his choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

FSG knew they were appointing a manager with little to no experience in managing a top premier league club, dealing with or signing world class players or playing in the Champions League. They would have expected him to make mistakes and obviously he has done so but what he has to show to FSG now is that he is learning from the mistakes and not repeating them. With such a young/inexperienced manger you have to give them 3 years as an absolute minimum otherwise there is no point in appointing one. Things have gone tits up this season, no doubt about it, but he has shown more than a glimpse of what he can do.

I honestly don't think any other manager could have taken us so close to the title last year. You can say it was all Suarez related but many forget that he was suspended for the start of that season and was relatively average for the run in (by his standards).

If Rogers goes now (would be an insane decision imo) or in the summer we are right back at square one with a new manager tearing apart the squad and talking about 5 year plans and a 3 year road map for getting back into the champions league. The alternative is to fully back Rogers for another season, sort out whatever sh*t is going on with this infamous transfer committee and let him finish what he has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

FSG knew they were appointing a manager with little to no experience in managing a top premier league club, dealing with or signing world class players or playing in the Champions League. They would have expected him to make mistakes and obviously he has done so but what he has to show to FSG now is that he is learning from the mistakes and not repeating them. With such a young/inexperienced manger you have to give them 3 years as an absolute minimum otherwise there is no point in appointing one. Things have gone tits up this season, no doubt about it, but he has shown more than a glimpse of what he can do.

I honestly don't think any other manager could have taken us so close to the title last year. You can say it was all Suarez related but many forget that he was suspended for the start of that season and was relatively average for the run in (by his standards).

If Rogers goes now (would be an insane decision imo) or in the summer we are right back at square one with a new manager tearing apart the squad and talking about 5 year plans and a 3 year road map for getting back into the champions league. The alternative is to fully back Rogers for another season, sort out whatever sh*t is going on with this infamous transfer committee and let him finish what he has started.

Far too much sense in this post for my liking...

Well obviously its not, plenty of people have reported that there is a committee. None of us know who signed who or what was agreed upon. There is trouble behind the scenes and according to Pearce, Rodgers wanted Bony and Vorm in the Summer.

The committee apparently opted for Balotelli.

Again its all ifs and buts and who knows so for any of us to flat out declare one way or the other is simply wrong and any statement like that is made to suit your own agenda/point of view.

As far as our transfers are concerned, every member on that committee has to take blame including Rodgers. But to solely blame him? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Disband the committee, bring in one person with a proven track record to oversee transfers and tell him this is how things are, he accepts it or he walks.

No I haven't missed it, but he is choosing not to play Borini and he chose not to play Lambert in the last game and a half. He chose not to take a gamble on the likes of Jerome Sinclair. All those may be right decisions, but he has chose them himself. If he has so little control over transfers why was he not kicking up stink before? Why has he said in the past he has control over who we sign?

I know there is a transfer committee, but the fact that we haven't played with many striking options lately is down to his choices.

The Borini one I agree upon. Without a doubt he should at least have him on the bench as an option. No defending it. Pearce hinted that it could be the club forcing Borini out as he would rather sit in the stands collecting wages. Again, I don't personally know so like you, we can only go off assumptions and reports.

Lambert not starting against United? 100% correct imo. Against United, we created 5/6 clear cut chances, we had movement, we were dangerous going forward for the first time in god knows how long. We actually had PACE!

Lambert simply isnt good enough and thats the crux of it there for me.

I can only assume that being manager of the club you have to be very careful not to affect new signings. Youre just signed by the club and then the next day your manager comes out and says "I didnt want him, I didnt sign him". That would be some grade A **** man management.

The closest Rodgers came to stating any of that was with Balotelli. Obviously not everything is rosy within this TC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

joe123 wrote: »
    The Borini one I agree upon. Without a doubt he should at least have him on the bench as an option. No defending it. Pearce hinted that it could be the club forcing Borini out as he would rather sit in the stands collecting wages. Again, I don't personally know so like you, we can only go off assumptions and reports.

Lambert not starting against United? 100% correct imo. Against United, we created 5/6 clear cut chances, we had movement, we were dangerous going forward for the first time in god knows how long. We actually had PACE!

I can only assume that being manager of the club you have to be very careful not to affect new signings. Youre just signed by the club and then the next day your manager comes out and says "I didnt want him, I didnt sign him". That would be some grade A **** man management.

The closest Rodgers came to stating any of that was with Balotelli. Obviously not everything is rosy within this TC though.

I'm mostly just pissed off. I don't think there is much to be gained from sacking Rodgers now so unless it gets even worse we should stick with him for the season anyhow. If we finish 9th or below though there is no saving him I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not even including new signings in the squad is nearly as effective a way of getting his message across as coming straight out and telling them he didn't want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The two most obvious mistakes IMO are, dropping Lucas and excluding Borini, that has feck all to do with the transfer committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damn you Gafferino :D

f5.jpg

Well obviously its not, plenty of people have reported that there is a committee. None of us know who signed who or what was agreed upon. There is trouble behind the scenes and according to Pearce, Rodgers wanted Bony and Vorm in the Summer.

Here is the issue with that Rodgers goes to a midtable club he knows and buys another two players from them.

Borini and Allen both bought and knowfrom hhis time there he also wanted Ashley Williams that is 5 players from a midtable team at best on top of buying 3 players from Southampton another midtable team.

All that tells me is Rodgers is a midtable manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The two most obvious mistakes IMO are, dropping Lucas and excluding Borini, that has feck all to do with the transfer committee.

Borini has done nothing to suggest he would materially impact lost games this season.

His biggest mistakes were not to change a system clearly putting pressure on the defence, stickling with a struggling Gerrard in the vaunted QB position and playing one up front.

Glaringly obviously the way the Suarez money was spent was disastrous. Andy Carroll and Aquilani bad.

Why are we not learning our lessons in the transfer market? The last really good transfer window we had was 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The last really good transfer window we had was 2007.
    not true, Sturridge./Coutinho was a January fine window. For some reason Liverpool are better at winter shopping. Its the summer thats awful as a rule.

Away from Rodgers weirdo decisions and non-coaching something that's not helping is the hollowed out nature of the senior squad. Once everywhere you looked was a fairly seasoned captain (either of Liverpool past, a previous club side or country) now most of the experienced heads are either marginalised, in decline or just punching the clock for a wage. Even the average age of 23.6 is "worse" than it appears when you consider Skrtel, Johnson, Gerrard, Lambert, Toure, Lucas, Enrqiue will be gone or bit part players by next season. A good thing arguably but my god some hard-arsed experience is going to need injecting unless the idea is to try to sneak the side into a youth tournie at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Again, I'd say Lambert is perfectly good enough as a 3rd/4th choice striker.

Even thrust into the starting XI as the only striker for 3/5 games in two weeks, he managed to make some sort of contribution in terms of the odd goal, assist or getting someone sent off.

Here is the issue with that Rodgers goes to a midtable club he knows and buys another two players from them.

Borini and Allen both bought and knowfrom hhis time there he also wanted Ashley Williams that is 5 players from a midtable team at best on top of buying 3 players from Southampton another midtable team.

All that tells me is Rodgers is a midtable manager.

Borini out and Bony in I would have had no problem with, Rodgers putting hand up and admitting Borini didn't work out, wheel in Bony for a few extra quid.

If we had Bony since Aug I think it's fair to assume we'd have 6 to 9 more points.

Augeo wrote: »
    Borini out and Bony in I would have had no problem with, Rodgers putting hand up and admitting Borini didn't work out, wheel in Bony for a few extra quid.

If we had Bony since Aug I think it's fair to assume we'd have 6 to 9 more points.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either it is an upgrade but not a upgrade good enough if we want to be top 4 and CL year in year out.

But why are we buying players from midtable PL teams if we want and should be fighting for the title and top 4 after spending £200m in 3 seasons.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either it is an upgrade but not a upgrade good enough if we want to be top 4 and CL year in year out............

I do believe that Sturridge, Bony, Balotelli & Lambert would be not at all bad as 4 strikers.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I do believe that Sturridge, Bony, Balotelli & Lambert would be not at all bad as 4 strikers.

It's not bad but it could be better if whoever is looking at these players looked towards Europe instead of midtable PL.

Johnson out for weeks!

So nice Xmas break for him before he leaves in January.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fcs-glen-johnson-out-8298289

Liverpool have agreed to sign Mexican international goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa for £3m in January.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_JorgeRamos/status/544883183401979904

So its true - always check a players twitter account ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is he good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is he good?

From the world cup, to me, he seems like a good shot stopper but won't be holding onto anything. Simple saves will be parried out and away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Is he good?

I generally don't like pre judging a signing based on the fee but 3m for someone who is potentially going to be a starter doesn't really fill me with too much confidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is he good?

I've always been a fan, delighted with that business.

Even said it before the World Cup (when he was available on a free) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90248284&postcount=251

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Ochoa cant get a game at Malaga, now he would be an upgrade on Brad Jones but I would not be happy if he was coming in as our first choice keeper.

Anyone who hoped Steve Clarke would be back to coach the feck out of the defence will be disappointed to see his is now the boss of Reading. Nigel Adkins bites the dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dont see the point of buying another very average squad player. How about buying a replacement for Mignolet instead of wasting money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Never mind a defensive coach, we are going to need a good hair stylist.
    This lad will at least push Emre and Lazer to up their game.

8-10 wrote: »
    I've always been a fan, delighted with that business.

Even said it before the World Cup (when he was available on a free) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90248284&postcount=251

Don't read the other posts on this page, so depressing :(

Anyone who hoped Steve Clarke would be back to coach the feck out of the defence will be disappointed to see his is now the boss of Reading. Nigel Adkins bites the dust.
    Sorry to keep banging the drum on this, but the notion that he was going to step down from Premier League manager to a mere defensive coach (not even an assistant manager) was just about the most laughable thing I had ever heard. He is a decent manager and that is job he will stay doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Never mind a defensive coach, we are going to need a good hair stylist.
    This lad will at least push Emre and Lazer to up their game.

I reckon that lad had the makings of an epic moustache. Then he would be a real Liverpool player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Ages ago I made a post about how Liverpool should of signed Ochoa. He was great in the World Cup and I've been following him since his days with Mexico club, America.....

After that post I was ostracised on here for not having a clue....how times have changed. There are some real clowns on here....
    Dayum wrote: »
    What about Mignolet? Prone to the odd blunder. Well, who else was there? How about the World Cups favourite goalie? That Mexican chap with the afro...Ochoa? Went on a free transfer last summer after getting to the knockout stages in Brazil. Wouldn't he of been worth a punt?

For me Lovren has been woeful. Wouldn't a bid for Ron Vlaar at Villa had made more sense? Put a great shift in at the World Cup for Holland and was valued at half the price Lovren was. What about Garay that left to go to Russia? Gerrard is well past it.

So many options. I just think Rogers made a meal of the window.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    Bar Balotelli lots of monday morning quarterbacking. Are you basing buying the Mexican keeper simply on the WC.
    That's a foolproof system for sure
    Rodgers made a meal of the transfer window and as a way to improve you suggest the Mexican keepr and Ron Vlaar? Couldn't make that up.
    But they wouldn't have been better options. I'd much prefer having Mingolet in goal than Ochoa.
    Yep, buying the new flavour of the month from a club that bought him for a relative pittance recently is just what we need,

emo72 wrote: »
    I reckon that lad had the makings of an epic moustache. Then he would be a real Liverpool player.

1892-1893.jpg

Ochoa? Ugh. I guess as a back-up 'keeper he might be ok, but as a first choice option, he is deeply uninspiring. I do admit I only have Youtube evidence to go on, but while he looks a good shot stopper, I would have grave reservations about his ability on set pieces. He actually looks quite similar to Mignolet. If this transfer is a flavour of things to come, people are going to be bitterly disappointed this January.

Dayum wrote: »
    Ages ago I made a post about how Liverpool should of signed Ochoa. He was great in the World Cup and I've been following him since his days with Mexico club, America.....

After that post I was ostracised on here for not having a clue....how times have changed. There are some real clowns on here....

Well don't post in here if thats what you believe and all you want to do is insult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Well don't post in here if thats what you believe and all you want to do is insult!

Ah, Agent Coulson.....still trying to get me banned I see....

Some people just can't seem to knock a grudge..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Ochoa? Ugh. I guess as a back-up 'keeper he might be ok, but as a first choice option, he is deeply uninspiring. I do admit I only have Youtube evidence to go on, but while he looks a good shot stopper, I would have grave reservations about his ability on set pieces. He actually looks quite similar to Mignolet. If this transfer is a flavour of things to come, people are going to be bitterly disappointed this January.

I agree - he is not good enough, the scouting department really don't seem to have a clue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement