Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

rob316 wrote: »
    What last night proved to me was maybe Rodgers could do well in Europe. He generally sets up the same but last night was refreshing, if that was the first leg of a knock out with Madrid that would be a decent result going back to Anfield.
    A bit more quality up front last night and we could have scalped a result.

For Chelsea I really hope Rodgers takes some of the performances into account when selecting the team. I don't think Gerrard should start, and he has to go two up top. Im still hoping Sturridge will make it, huge player for us.
    Toure to start, give Lovren something to think about with his **** performances.

I agree about Rodgers. It took courage to put out that team last night, and while we didn't get a result, the performance was good.

He's in a difficult position with Gerrard, it's always the same with an icon at the end of his playing days. If Rodgers drops him to the bench (which he should do), he will alienate a certain section of the support for not allowing Gerrard finish on his terms. If Gerrard has the best interests of Liverpool FC at heart, he will publicly back Rodgers, but when you've been top dog for so long, it's hard not to be bitchy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

What really impressed me last night was the way we kept the ball, in the most part, in the middle third of the field. Simple one-twos, or even simpler again, pause for a second, let the Madrid players move and then pass the ball to the free man. The footballing arrogance to do that, as Brendan would say, has to be admired considering the Madrid personnel that was in close proximity (my heart was in my mouth a few times) and that one bad pass/interception would lead to Madrid getting at the back four. We have to take that into the upcoming games and make the opposition work.

Of course where it fell down was getting from the middle third to the attacking final third but you can't walk until you can run. Until Sturridge is back Mario, Borini, Lambert et al really have to be on the move more, on the shoulder etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    Moreno has made some mistakes but looks a great signing. I can see him being one of the best LB's in the world in a few years.

Hah, I feel the opposite.

Does way too many stupid things. His goal clangers aside, he also tries to nutmeg opposition wingers in his own third and loses the ball! Heart attack or two last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

noodler wrote: »

Does way too many stupid things. His goal clangers aside, he also tries to nutmeg opposition wingers in his own third and loses the ball! Heart attack or two last night.
    i feel he is going to be a huge player for us too. Both he and Manquillo are still young and inexperienced and will only improve with more playing time and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

noodler wrote: »

He rarely lost the ball last night. He was superb imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

There's something about Kolo Toure that is so likeable, those couple of dribbles he went on last night had me chuckling away, everything he seems to do seems to be funny,facial expressions, thumping the ground etc... also plays with a pride and passion that is refreshing, he really leaves it all out on the pitch, Kolo is a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

There's something about Kolo Toure that is so likeable, those couple of dribbles he went on last night had me chuckling away, everything he seems to do seems to be funny,facial expressions, thumping the ground etc... also plays with a pride and passion that is refreshing, he really leaves it all out on the pitch, Kolo is a legend!

We love our cult heros at LFC Djimi, Igor, Kolo.

He played well last night and deserves a start at the weekend, but i still think he's dodgy. Desperate times for our central defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

We love our cult heros at LFC Djimi, Igor, Kolo.

He played well last night and deserves a start at the weekend, but i still think he's dodgy. Desperate times for our central defense.

I'd get rid of Skrtel before anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bankrupt David James auctions football memorabilia.
    Shirts including an England home kit signed by the team, and a bright pink Portsmouth goalkeeper's jersey, are expected to sell for upwards of £30-50 each.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29895649

Link to items if anyone wants to buy something. Some Liverpool stuff there.

https://www.hilcoind.com/sale-details?view=detailview&pid=490735c4-a3ff-2551-d402-54579bd48161

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The feel good Kolo is back. I'm happy for him but I won't forget the howlers he made in the second half of last season. If he does play more regularly, I hope he's ironed those mistakes out but I doubt it.

Says a lot about our current CB situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

i think any delight in liverpools performance last night has to be tempered with the fact madrid were more or less qualified, they did all the hard work at anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

At least if we go out in the group stages of the CL this year I'll still have some the brilliant memory of Kolo Toures performance last night - ghosting down the wing after dismissing Benzema was one of the most outrageous pieces of CB play I've seen in a while!

Out of our signings the two who look the best are 12m Moreno and 10m Can. Moreno is raw and still prone to error but he has fight in him, he's dogged and I think he can develop into a brilliant player. Can the same, worked hard, carried the ball well and while he still has a long way to go - I think we've signed two excellent young players here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bankrupt David James auctions football memorabilia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29895649

Link to items if anyone wants to buy something. Some Liverpool stuff there.

https://www.hilcoind.com/sale-details?view=detailview&pid=490735c4-a3ff-2551-d402-54579bd48161

I was wondering why he was still playing at 44.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

boardie100 wrote: »
    i think any delight in liverpools performance last night has to be tempered with the fact madrid were more or less qualified, they did all the hard work at anfield

I don't think anyone is delighted. It was just a decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D'Agger wrote: »
    At least if we go out in the group stages of the CL this year I'll still have some the brilliant memory of Kolo Toures performance last night - ghosting down the wing after dismissing Benzema was one of the most outrageous pieces of CB play I've seen in a while!

Out of our signings the two who look the best are 12m Moreno and 10m Can. Moreno is raw and still prone to error but he has fight in him, he's dogged and I think he can develop into a brilliant player. Can the same, worked hard, carried the ball well and while he still has a long way to go - I think we've signed two excellent young players here.

The thing I like most about Can is when he goes on a run, its like Yaya Toure, ya know the way he barges through a midfield its brilliant. IF he could be half as good as him we have a gem.

Really like Moreno, he will be a fine player for us as he matures. Dogged and very quick.

Markovic, he has a huge price tag but he has huge potential according to pretty much anyone, he needs to get stronger that was evident but 10 points for effort last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

One thing I've been wondering and more so after seeing it tweeted, Were we better defensively due to Lovren being out or due to having better protection?

It'll be interesting at the weekend if Gerrard and Kolo play. Just to see if there is a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I think Manquillo has been a decent signing as well and he should never, ever be dropped for Glen Johnson again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tok9 wrote: »
    The feel good Kolo is back. I'm happy for him but I won't forget the howlers he made in the second half of last season. If he does play more regularly, I hope he's ironed those mistakes out but I doubt it.

Says a lot about our current CB situation.

Its not like Lovren and Skrtel haven't made plenty of mistakes this season.

Sure Skrtel had 6 OGs, was it last season? (Edit maybe that was his actual goals scored)

I still reckon Toure's main two clangers last season (and particularly the significance of the WBA one) are overshadowing his good work in the first half or so of last season.

People would swear he is some donkey, his experience and honours extend to premier league titles with two different clubs and a decade of champions league experience. Obviously he is getting on but no one else in our squad can boast anything close to that.

So how many of the missing 5 will start on Saturday?

I'm guessing either 4 or all 5.

The only one I could make a case for dropping from the resurrected 5 would be Markovic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So how many of the missing 5 will start on Saturday?

I'm guessing either 4 or all 5.

The only one I could make a case for dropping from the resurrected 5 would be Markovic tbh

Without a doubt IMO. Markovic needs more game time obviously but not versus Chelsea. He looks like he's struggling to adopt at the moment. Seems nervous and afraid to be on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thought he showed glimpses last night. My main criticism is that he looks like he is playing 5 a side with his mates at times. He pulls out of tackles and just gives up when he loses the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gafferino wrote: »
    Without a doubt IMO. Markovic needs more game time obviously but not versus Chelsea. He looks like he's struggling to adopt at the moment. Seems nervous and afraid to be on the ball.

Ah those personal life issues affecting his football :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

gafferino wrote: »
    No wonder he never shoots no chance of scoring it seems.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

kfallon wrote: »

We're some bunch of lads for the one liners :pac:

Probably the main reason I still scan through the thread each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Platini: "Rodgers should explain his team selection to Liverpool fans"

i was critical of the team to start with, but seriously Michel, kindly fúck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    The thing I like most about Can is when he goes on a run, its like Yaya Toure, ya know the way he barges through a midfield its brilliant. IF he could be half as good as him we have a gem.

Really like Moreno, he will be a fine player for us as he matures. Dogged and very quick.

Markovic, he has a huge price tag but he has huge potential according to pretty much anyone, he needs to get stronger that was evident but 10 points for effort last night.

I'm sure it'll be scoffed at by many but his style of driving out with the ball is very similar to Yaya, said it to a couple of people - he seems to stride out with the ball, yet has good enough control and strength to not lose it in dangerous areas.

Don't want to compare him to one of the best midfielders in the PL too early, but the signs are promising so far it has to be said.

On Markovich - I disagree on his effort, he showed glimpses and there seems to be talent there to be developed but he could go either way. I hope he comes good, but he lost the ball a few times last night and showed no hunger in getting back. You look at Isco on the Real team....he didn't lose the ball often, but when he did he pressed - that's vital to a teams shape and getting organised defensively against a counter - he has to add that to his game

SlickRic wrote: »

i was critical of the team to start with, but seriously Michel, kindly fúck off.

"I selected the team, as I'm the manager and I'm paid to do so", should suffice.

Patini wouldn't be high up on my list of likable people, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Platini is some bellend, and to think he was my fav player as a lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

First game 3-0 Real Madrid . Second game 1-0 Real Madrid should do nicely .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

First game 3-0 Real Madrid . Second game 1-0 Real Madrid should do nicely .

this !!!

and a kindly mind your own fckin business along with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would be pissed if the players he dropped were beating everyone and putting in top performances all season but they aren't, all have been fairly average. The only player I could have made a case for including was Sterling and maybe Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

One thing I've been wondering and more so after seeing it tweeted, Were we better defensively due to Lovren being out or due to having better protection?

It'll be interesting at the weekend if Gerrard and Kolo play. Just to see if there is a major difference.
    In the game last night there was actually a midfield presence until Gerrard was introduced.

Early in the first half a Madrid player received the ball in space just inside the Liverpool half. Lucas covered 20 meters to close them down - that's what the team were doing last season and has been missing from the games this season.

When the team has energy in midfield, there will be less pressure on the defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Mignolet was very good yesterday, and im usually one of his biggest critics. The criticism that he should have been catching instead of punching is unfair imo. As long hes punching the ball clear to safety, which he did do last night, i see no problem with opting to punch. Its less risky.

The reason he looked good though was because we were playing real madrid. They dont lump balls into the box and aerially bombard teams because they dont need to, they can beat teams by simply outplaying them such is their quality.

Mignolets major weakness is his lack of aerial presence and how little he commands his box. In the premier league this will always be a problem which is why I think we need another keeper. Mignolet might improve in this area over time, but at the moment he isnt good enough which is why I think another keeper should be brought in. Mignolet is still fairly young for a keeper and only cost about 8m so Im not writing him off as a failure, but I think we need someone better to at least provide competition or rotate, depending on the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think the reason we looked more solid in defense last night was a combination of a vocal centre back who knows how to organise and lead and a defensive midfielder who is tactically astute and knows how to play the role effectively. Obviously Rodgers knows better than me, but I am hoping hes noticed these issues and is gonna act on them. Unfortunately, for all the money spent and signings made, I still think a dm is desperately needed. I like Lucas, and I think he did well last night, but I just dont think hes good enough. He was great at this role before his injuries, but he seems to have lost his pace and mobility and these are areas in which he will only decline as he gets older.

As for defense, I think we may need another signing in the near future. Skrtel is not a leader or an organiser, and Lovren and Sakho are both still relatively young and probably arent ready to lead a back line. I think they would both benefit hugely if they were playing alongside a good experienced centre back. For the moment Id like to see Kolo starting alongside one of the younger centre backs, though im not sure kolo is up to the task of playing week in week out.

On a side note, im looking forward to Flanagans return. He was excellent last season and that right back spot is very much up for grabs at the moment. I think were missing some aggression and determination in the back line and these are things he has in spades.

I wonder would he say anything if we managed to sneak a draw in the end?

Platini, kindly mind your business. For a man who played football you talk serious nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some amount of BS, RTE Sport now going with it (no mention of Gale Platini though), Jim Beglin making mention of some plane being hired as if that were relevant to anything.

Jordon Ibe goal, first one up

Some amount of BS, RTE Sport now going with it (no mention of Gale Platini though), Jim Beglin making mention of some plane being hired as if that were relevant to anything.

These people get paid for lazy journalism too which is nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Costa being rested for the weekend, as are Courtois, Cahill and Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Paying Liverpool respect eh?

Costa being rested for the weekend, as are Courtois, Cahill and Oscar.

Be interesting to see what Platini makes of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I think there was better protection last night for the cbs than in recent games.

That and the fact that Madrid tried to play it through the middle. The main struggle/or one of them is when opppsing teams lump balls into the box. That always results in pandemonium

Mourinho will have to explain that one to his fans.

Knex. wrote: »

Letting the supporters down.
    An absolute disgrace
    He has just put a target on his back for the season
    Should apologise to the fans
    Rabble rabble...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He probably seen the media attention 'The Rodgers' got last night and couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We still conceded nearly 30 chances and some of those were excellent. Could have been worse.
    kfallon wrote: »

I'm not seeing this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Read it again. He said adopt instead of adapt..... It was quite funny. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes the Chelsea fans would have wanted to see their best 11 playing against the Slovenian champions - glamour tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

greendom wrote: »
    Yes the Chelsea fans would have wanted to see their best 11 playing against the Slovenian champions - glamour tie
    Nah, he probably wanted the bus driver to get his annual appearance:pac:

greendom wrote: »

The "best" players is subjective for all fans :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Letting the supporters down.
    An absolute disgrace
    He has just put a target on his back for the season
    Should apologise to the fans
    Rabble rabble...

I said that one. But would you not agree that people who wre/are questioning Rodgers now have another stick to beat him with

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement