Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wouldn't start coutinho in any game at the moment. His shots are wild, he gives away the ball too easily and doesn't do the defensive work. Very frustrating player to watch, reminds me of nani at man united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rob316 wrote: »
    I wouldn't start coutinho in any game at the moment. His shots are wild, he gives away the ball too easily and doesn't do the defensive work. Very frustrating player to watch, reminds me of nani at man united.

Only you know, Nani is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sterling should cause Arsenal alot of problems with his speed. Mertsacker is very slow & Koscielny is injured.

He's not a great finisher though, so if he has a stinker like he did agaisn't Utd then we be fine. He be up agaisn't Bellerin who isn't a slouch remember that. We have Debuchy back too but Kos is a big miss.

You guys defence will be having a horrid time with Sanchez, Ox and carzola. Plus Giroud and Welbeck who both seem to team up well with each other. Plus Walcott who be back on the bench come Sunday. It be tough cause of the crowd who are the 12th man plus you guys need to win. Should be a great match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Liam O wrote: »
    Only you know, Nani is good.

So good that United are paying him to play elsewhere, that kind of good?

Ok, then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Thats it... Jones has to go.

Clearly not a team player.

I wonder what Mig did to Rodgers that he's now Pepe Reinaing the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lucas is back In vogue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lucas is back In vogue?

He's playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5live wrote: »
    So good that United are paying him to play elsewhere, that kind of good?

Ok, then...

So good that he couldn't get any better, so had no option but to become sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Dayum wrote: »
    It was Bournemouth, lads....

If Liverpool didn't beat Bournemouth it would have been laughable. Normal service will resume on the weekend against Arsenal - the squad are ****e.

It was only Arsenal lads, they are missing half their team and had their tea lady in goal.:pac:

It was a good effort, I am happy for BR. The team played with structure and purpose and with glimpses of last year, its a ****ing start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I actually think we could beat Chelsea although it would be more because Mourinho will be more focused on the league/CL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yeah Sterling can cause CHelsea problems on his day, just takes one or two chances.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Yeah Sterling can cause CHelsea problems on his day, just takes one or two chances.

Sturridge should be back by then too.

Which is nice.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I actually think we could beat Chelsea although it would be more because Mourinho will be more focused on the league/CL.

We could beat Chelsea. We probably won't, but we could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

BenEadir wrote: »
    It's cruel and spiteful bringing Borini on in the 90th minute. I don't like that trait in a manager. It makes him look like the big tough boss but all it really does is harden Borini's resolve to leave on his terms i.e. to the Italian team he wants to go to for a low ball transfer fee because LFC know if they don't take it Borini has the resolve to stay and wind down his contract.

Cruel and spiteful but necessary. We need our 11 million this January and not a minute later to buy a top class replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

5starpool wrote: »

I totally agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

He's a poor player
    Strange how we were happy to pay £12m for him so and give him a long contract + Sunderland were willing to pay £14m and QPR £11m or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »

Dare to Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cruel and spiteful but necessary. We need our 11 million this January and not a minute later to buy a top class replacement

How do the two things relate?

How does not playing Borini help us sell him?

It certainly won't increase interest or transfer fees if prospective clubs know the last meaningful gametime he had was 7 months ago.

With the team struggling and BR on the brink, I'd argue it also it wouldn't make Borini want to move as he might feel he will get a fair crack under a new manager.

Strange how we were happy to pay £12m for him so and give him a long contract + Sunderland were willing to pay £14m and QPR £11m or so.

Yes QPR and Sunderland, that's his level not Liverpool.

We have been known to spend money on poor players that's no secret, nor is the fact he is just not good enough.

Rodgers is right to play Sterling ahead of him, it has resulted in a lot more creativity in the last 2 games.

We have been known to spend money on poor players that's no secret, nor is the fact he is just not good enough.

Rodgers is right to play Sterling ahead of him, it has resulted in a lot more creativity in the last 2 games.

That's to do with the lack of Lambert and not the lack of Borini.

You really think someone will pay £11m for Borini when he has shown he will stay and run the clock down on his contract unless a team of his choosing will pay the wages he wants? The only outcome of BR acting the hard man is Borini will be even more determined to move on his terms or not at all leaving LFC out of pocket by between £5m and £9m.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    That's to do with the lack of Lambert and not the lack of Borini.

Borini isn't going to win us games, its pointless even worrying about him, he will be gone in a couple of weeks and hopefully a better replacement is brought in.

Wow, what a sense of entitlement. I find it hilarious how so many fans still think LFC are at the top of the tree when it comes to player recruitment despite the fact we haven't been able to attract a single "top" player in his prime in years. All we can do is buy young players who we hope will develop into better "Liverpool" standard player or flawed players who do have the talent but a questionable character. We can't buy the finished article "Liverpool" standard player not becuase we don't have the cash or won't pay the wages (although others can and do pay more) but becuase they simply don't see Liverpool as being "Liverpool" standard any more. We've been replaced as European football royalty in the eyes of top players by at least a dozen other teams including Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

The reality is we took a punt on Borini and it hasn't worked out. Buying young players is a numbers game, if 4 out of 10 turn into top class players it's a success. how we treat the 6 who don't work out is a reflection on the club and the way Borini is being treated is a disgrace for a club that prides itself on doing the right thing, being a family and community club and always looking after each other. YNWA seems to go out the window pretty quickly when there's money at stake. Disgraceful. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I can't believe the cheek of Rodgers in constantly leaving Pele out of the squad. And then brings him on in the 90th minute last night!! It's not what Liverpool fc are about. The manager should play Pele regularly because I think he's better than the other options. The fact that he clearly doesn't is irrelevant to me. It's not right to potentially hurt his feelings like that. I doubt we pay him enough to put up with that kind of treatment.

Borini isn't going to win us games, its pointless even worrying about him, he will be gone in a couple of weeks and hopefully a better replacement is brought in.

It certainly isn't/wasn't pointless.

We would have more points now than we do (almost certainly, if only from a fatigue/tactical/man management point of view) if Borini has been given more gametime.

Wow, what a sense of entitlement. I find it hilarious how so many fans still think LFC are at the top of the tree when it comes to player recruitment despite the fact we haven't been able to attract a single "top" player in his prime in years. All we can do is buy young players who we hope will develop into better "Liverpool" standard player or flawed players who do have the talent but a questionable character. We can't buy the finished article "Liverpool" standard player not becuase we don't have the cash or won't pay the wages (although others can and do pay more) but becuase they simply don't see Liverpool as being "Liverpool" standard any more. We've been replaced as European football royalty in the eyes of top players by at least a dozen other teams including Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

The reality is we took a punt on Borini and it hasn't worked out. Buying young players is a numbers game, if 4 out of 10 turn into top class players it's a success. how we treat the 6 who don't work out is a reflection on the club and the way Borini is being treated is a disgrace for a club that prides itself on doing the right thing, being a family and community club and always looking after each other. YNWA seems to go out the window pretty quickly when there's money at stake. Disgraceful. :o

No sense of entitlement, I am totally realistic where Liverpool are.

Rodgers did treat him right, in the summer he told him to find another club as his services were no longer needed and he should for the good of himself look for first team football.

Now I applauded him for staying to fight for his place but it hasn't worked out and the manager made it very clear he didn't want him to stay. Manager didn't want him because he wasn't good enough and that still hasn't changed. We were a Top 4 club last season and have aspirations to be there again this season, Borini is not part out that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/brendan-rodgers-cup-semifinal-clash-with-chelsea-will-be-epic-30846414.html

He has been outstanding for us. He may not have scored the goals that some people expect, but I expect him to score goals and provide assists over the course of the season. His best position is on the left but he can play across the line and has the qualities to play in a central role, as he has for our youth teams.

“His contract situation is nothing to do with him. His representatives are the ones working with the club. You can see he's happy and enjoying his football. He was unfortunate not to score at Old Trafford but was a real threat. He plays like Alexis Sanchez's role for Arsenal, not an out and out striker but his speed and movement causes problems. He's been the real catalyst for us this season.”

Rodgers did treat him right, in the summer he told him to find another club as his services were no longer needed and he should for the good of himself look for first team football.

Now I applauded him for staying to fight for his place but it hasn't worked out and the manager made it very clear he didn't want him to stay. Manager didn't want him because he wasn't good enough and that still hasn't changed. We were a Top 4 club last season and have aspirations to be there again this season, Borini is not part out that.

But the manager's thinking and decision not to play him in the face of overwhelming deficiencies in the striking department has turned out to be a complete and utter failure.

• Advertisement

New haircuts for Sterlsy, Lallana and Hendo is the reason we played well. No doubts there. Also I have been changing where I watch my matches until we win.

2691__9904__460600822_513X307.jpg

1402__7432__prop141217-023-bournemouth_liverpool_513X307.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/brendan-rodgers-cup-semifinal-clash-with-chelsea-will-be-epic-30846414.html

"He plays like Alexis Sanchez's role for Arsenal, not an out and out striker but his speed and movement causes problems. He's been the real catalyst for us this season.”

Oh Brendan, shut up and let the goal speak for themselves.

I am sorry, but you're are just so far off the mark here. It was pretty clear Borini had no future with us, he had several options (QPR, Sunderland) over the Summer, but he dug his heels in and refused to leave. It is not the clubs fault that he's warming the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I know we all compliment it... but we need Brad Jones to get a haircut too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

What did you guys think of Adam Lallana last night? i really like him as a player..

Stab*City wrote: »
    What did you guys think of Adam Lallana last night? i really like him as a player..

Works hard and is seems to work really well with Markovic and Sterling.

Could be the front 3 for a while until Sturridge gets back.

Not good enough to get us into the top 4.

I love the way no matter where he is on the pitch and no matter how many people are around he always seems to manage a nice little turn into open space.. Thought Markovic looked better too.

Not good enough to get us into the top 4.

What players do you think are good enough to get us top 4 from last night?

• Advertisement

Top top player, has tekkers. The issue is fitting everyone in to a system that works - Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, Sturridge are potentially a very slick and exciting attacking line up (though not as good as Canos, Kent, Ojo, Wilson and Sinclair of course!) but fitting them into a formation that can also control and defend is a bit of a problem. Someone will have to be benched.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9610176/premier-league-liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-to-be-treated-by-boston-red-sox-staff

Daniel Sturridge is set to spend Christmas in Boston as he continues to receive treatment on a thigh injury.

The only issue I have with what you say is "Rodgers did treat him right, in the summer he told him to find another club". That's not quite true is it? Rodgers told him to accept the deal on offer from Sunderland. Borini didn't want to move to Sunderland so BR sidelined him which is costing the club a fortune and will result in Borini moving for a very low fee. It might make BR look the tough in control manager but it's not the smart commercial thing to do.

I am sorry, but you're are just so far off the mark here. It was pretty clear Borini had no future with us, he had several options (QPR, Sunderland) over the Summer, but he dug his heels in and refused to leave. It is not the clubs fault that he's warming the bench.

We paid £12m for him and with Suarez gone, Sturridge injured, Baloteli injured and Lambo trying hard but looking totally out of place with our fast technical game it absolutely is a disgrace that he isn't even making the bench a lot of the time. He may not be the most prolific goal scorer but he's young and has excellent movement which creates space and chances for others.

I have no issue whatsoever with the manager making a football decision and telling him he doesn't figure in his plans (even if I disagree with BR's opinion on Borini) but that doesn't give the club the right to force him to join a club he doesn't want to go to or justify the way he was treated last night, coming on in the last minute of an away Carling Cup tie. If he was treated with a bit more respect he might agree to move to the next club that come in for him with a decent transfer fee but if I was in his shoes I'd dig my heels in and force a move at zero transfer fee (allowing me to secure increased wages) or bide my time, pick up my £2.6m wages per annum for the next 30 months (costing LFC €6.5m) and move for free when I am still only 26.

What a pyrrhic vistory for BR and LFC :rolleyes:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/fabio-borini-in-profile

I think he's the best signing we've had since Sturridge. He's creative, direct, tricky, has vision and good movement. He has to become a starter ASAP.

Someone will have to be benched.

It will have to be a toss up between Marcovic and Coutinho. Both have talent but both blow hot and cold and both need to develop more discipline in their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think he's the best signing we've had since Sturridge. He's creative, direct, tricky, has vision and good movement. He has to become a starter ASAP.

This!

I think it mad he takes him off in games when he can wriggle past players and looks good on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Borini is a forward who hasn't scored for us when on the pitch. As such, looking forward to him leaving. That's all it is.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini is a forward who hasn't scored for us when on the pitch. As such, looking forward to him leaving. That's all it is.

But if he's better than what there is now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Right now in the Janaury window we need three signings.

A Striker with pace.

A Goalkeeper who can Goalkeep.

A defensive coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement