Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good chance of that one happening alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

5starpool wrote: »
    Good chance of that one happening alright.

lol SPOOF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd keep the 50 million...would have Sterling up front and Lambert offers a better plan B from the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd keep the 50 million...would have Sterling up front and Lambert offers a better plan B from the bench.

Tie Jones down to a 20 year contract with the 50 million.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Tie Jones down to a 20 year contract with the 50 million.

lol SPOOF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

spoof ?

spoof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

BR bigging up Lazar in the papers.

That's him dropped indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Benzema would make a fine wing back for us alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

martyos121 wrote: »
    We should pay 30m for Berahino, just to be on the safe side.
    Who needs Shaqiri, can't even get in the Bayern team, whereas Berahino starts for West Brom week in, week out.

Shaqiri is quality . would have him in a heartbeat. Should have got him in the summer

I want Allen johnson and borini gone as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Tinfoil SPOOF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You and your conspiracies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Delph would be a fine player for a club with 5th/6th place ambitions.

Looks like we've got the newest Posh and Becks :pac:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/exclusive---meet-teenage-dream-8314038?ICID=FB-Liv-lfc

JS53234823.jpg

Could this be the next Posh and Becks? Meet aspiring beauty queen and actress Amaani Noor and exciting Liverpool FC prospect Sheyi Ojo – a teenage dream team!

Sheyi, 17, who is on the brink of breaking into the Reds’ first team, and Amaani, 16, a Miss Teen Great Britain semi-finalist, have been going out for 18 months – and are obviously blissfully happy.

At a time when so many teenagers attract such a bad Press, this is a positive, good news story – and a love story.

Sitting in the neat, cosy and comfortable terraced home in Mossley Hill Amaani shares with her mum, Nürah, and 20-year-old brother, Nuh, the friendly and unassuming couple talked to the ECHO about their hopes and dreams for the future, while stressing they are keeping their feet firmly on the ground.

Sheyi, a pacy winger who has been hailed as the next Daniel Sturridge or Raheem Sterling, was born in Watford and lived in Hackney, London from the age of five. He joined Liverpool FC from MK Dons when he was 14. His family moved up with him, and he now lives with his parents, Natasha and Olu, and 10-year-old brother, Toby, in West Derby.

So we are linked with Benzema for £50m and Delph on a free and a couple of cheap a$$ goalkeepers.

There in lies the problem with Liverpool transfers over the last few years.

The extremes.

Over paying for players or buying players on the cheap hoping they turn out to be value for money.

Ojo has tiny ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Benzema to Liverpool?

are-you-having-a-laugh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Speaking of teh kids, these two lads look like the guys who live next door rather than hip-hop video types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

The likes of Benzema is the likes of what would should be aiming for! sadly that is the Liverpool of old which died a long, long time ago.... :(

benny79 wrote: »
    The likes of Benzema is the likes of what would should be aiming for! sadly that is the Liverpool of old which died a long, long time ago.... :(

Buying Benzema would be completely contrary to the Liverpool of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Buying Benzema would be completely contrary to the Liverpool of old.

like buying Dalglish to replace Keegan ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Kirby wrote: »
    Does your coat have more good jokes in it? Because this one was pretty good. :)

As 5live said it was on the plate! Are we looking at the wrong Villa player though. Would a fully fit Benteke be a worthwhile addition if he was on the market, even if he now seems to be admitting that his earlier transfer request was a 'mistake'?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/christian-benteke-aston-villa-transfer-4835050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

greendom wrote: »
    like buying Dalglish to replace Keegan ?
    +1

In the old days Liverpool would pick up the hot thing at a smaller British club (Aldo, Beardsley, Ian St John, Toshack) and pay at times big money for him! Though not always of course - Keegan and Roger Hunt were both cheap pick-ups. The rest were mainly home grown - Owen, Fowler, Fairclough, Liddle, Jack Balmer etc.

That's something that's really changed - who was the last really good striker to join any big club from a small one and go on to do big things? Ian Wright from Palace? Alan Shearer from Southampton?

In the old days Liverpool would pick up the hot thing at a smaller British club (Aldo, Beardsley, Ian St John, Toshack) and pay at times big money for him! Though not always of course - Keegan and Roger Hunt were both cheap pick-ups. The rest were mainly home grown - Owen, Fowler, Fairclough, Liddle, Jack Balmer etc.

That's something that's really changed - who was the last really good striker to join any big club from a small one and go on to do big things? Ian Wright from Palace?

Rooney

That's something that's really changed - who was the last really good striker to join any big club from a small one and go on to do big things? Ian Wright from Palace? Alan Shearer from Southampton?

The problem with looking back with misty eyes is that the game has changed. You are very unlikely to get the next Kevin Keegan playing for Scunthorpe and slot quickly into playing for Liverpool. There are plenty of other examples as well. The bigger clubs and academies almost always have all the top talent scooped up by the time they are 16 at the latest, hence the likes of Ojo, Sterling, Ibe, etc being bought like that whereas even 30 years ago they would likely have developed more at QPR or Wycombe and then have been bought after 50 senior games where they impressed.

There will be a few exceptions, and obviously there will be talented players coming from lower prem or decent championship clubs to the richer clubs after breaking though in their first clubs, but the days of Liverpool or Utd signing a hidden gem from 2 divisions lower or from the Scottish 1st division and integrating them into their first team pretty quickly are gone except in very rare instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Tevez also

5starpool wrote: »
    The bigger clubs and academies almost always have all the top talent scooped up by the time they are 16 at the latest, hence the likes of Ojo, Sterling, Ibe, etc being bought like that whereas even 30 years ago they would likely have developed more at QPR or Wycombe and then have been bought after 50 senior games where they impressed.
    Very good point.

So how do we go about getting the next big thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Please please please. Probably bull**** though as (a) £50m and (b) Benzema.

I would probably cry if we signed Delph.

• Advertisement

Very good point.

Sadly the only way now is to try and scoop up the best of the young prospects which will result in less of them making it at the top level that they would in years past I reckon. It's true that a lot of guys at 19/20/21 will have failed to make it at Liverpool/Arsenal/Utd, wherever and maybe move to a lower league team but by then they will have missed out of some of the first XI action that a lot of their peers at the lower level would have benefited from. It's a tough one really for the young players and their families when choosing what's right for them at 14/15.

The best course of action may often be to stay at the smaller academies and hope to shine and develop as a player in the first team from younger, but in the face of a payday that they might never get if they stay at a smaller club and fail it can be hard to turn down.

I am not particularly in favour of feeder or B clubs in he English game, but the way things are going in terms of youth development it might be the best thing in order to ensure the talent pool of players doesn't dwindle even more than it has overall.

Very good point.

We have the next big thing - Raheem Sterling! This time next year he'll be scoring 20/25 goals as a forward ;)

Maybe its Ojo or Ibe or Canos or Kent or Wilson or Sinclair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

First leg of the Chelsea Semi-Final confirmed for Tues 20th of Jan. If you're thinking of going over for it, Ryanair have cheap flights for that day (€17.99) and the same price for the return flight the next day...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Very good point.

Maybe it's because I take an interest in the Copa Libertadores and the South American leagues but I was aware of Neymar and Ganso since around 2009 when they were at Santos. The same with Tevez and Mascherano when I seen them playing for Boca Juniors and River Plate back in 2005. Even Aguero showed signs of stardom at 17 when he was at Independiente. I was shocked to see a European club take so long to come in for Neymar...

There are some real gems in the South American leagues - that's why I think Liverpool would benefit from having a manager from the region who knows the football there like the back of his hand and is capable of sweeping up all the talent. I\d recommend Tite who won the Copa Libertadores with Corinthians. He's well respected in Latin America.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Villa fans speak extremely highly of Delph and have been happy for a while that his performances have gone un-noticed....well, he got his recent national call up so there has been some.

I've seen him play a few times, and he definitely has ability and is nice on the ball. For a freebie, I'd take him as he would be a much more graceful player than Lucas.....but will push Can further away from the starting 11.

But I'd much rather go for a DM that is sweet on the ball, graceful and has a bit of power about himself. Who that is...no idea.

I would f*cking love Benzema. Chances of that are real slim I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Dayum wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I take an interest in the Copa Libertadores and the South American leagues but I was aware of Neymar and Ganso since around 2009 when they were at Santos. The same with Tevez and Mascherano when I seen them playing for Boca Juniors and River Plate back in 2005. Even Aguero showed signs of stardom at 17 when he was at Independiente. I was shocked to see a European club take so long to come in for Neymar...

There are some real gems in the South American leagues - that's why I think Liverpool would benefit from having a manager from the region who knows the football there like the back of his hand and is capable of sweeping up all the talent. I\d recommend Tite who won the Copa Libertadores with Corinthians. He's well respected in Latin America.

English clubs can't sweep up the best of South American youth due to work permit restrictions

• Advertisement

Was a fan of Neymar and Ganso in 2008 myself.

English clubs can't sweep up the best of South American youth due to work permit restrictions

Good comment.

:rolleyes:

I was a fan in 2007 aswell.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    I was a fan in 2007 aswell.

You misunderstood. The point I'm making is that it took a very long time for Europe in general to become aware of this kid in Sao Paulo when everyone in S. America was well aware of his talent going back years. Strongbow makes a good point in that British work permit restrictions are holding back players from entering the country to engage in the Premier League.

You misunderstood. The point I'm making is that it took a very long time for Europe in general to become aware of this kid in Sao Paulo when everyone in S. America was well aware of his talent going back years. Strongbow makes a good point in that British work permit restrictions are holding back players from entering the country to engage in the Premier League.

I was only joking. :)

Tevez was at the Olympics in 2004 and was known it was only a matter of time before he made a big move. Had Liverpool made a move, others would have come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You are going on like nobody ever heard of Neymar before he moved to Barca. Chelsea were interested in him years ago, think they may have even bid for him? He said all along he was staying in Brazil for a few years before moving to Europe. It wasn't a case of nobody being interested.

Well considering Neymar trained with Real Madrid in 2006 (he was 14)plenty in Europe were aware of him from a very young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Porto(and other Portugese clubs) have really benefited from picking up South American players. The work permit issue is a massive restriction for British teams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Porto(and other Portugese clubs) have really benefited from picking up South American players. The work permit issue is a massive restriction for British teams though.

Porto also benefit (in the sourcing element at least) largely from third party membership of players, so there is usually little risk involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

jasonb wrote: »
    First leg of the Chelsea Semi-Final confirmed for Tues 20th of Jan. If you're thinking of going over for it, Ryanair have cheap flights for that day (€17.99) and the same price for the return flight the next day...

J.

Would it be hard to get tickets?

Would anyone give Alexandre Pato another bite at the cherry in Europe? Still only 25 and would cost less than 10m. Well, seen as Brenden Rodgers fancies himself as a bit of a father figure to these f*cked up kids....he could be Balotelli's piss-up buddy in a nightclub on the eve of an all important match up against United...

Rodgers has confirmed Jones will be in goal.

Presser video.

http://www.lfc.vn/presser-matchday/rodgers-pre-arsenal-presser-s15-w17/

Also.

Brendan Rodgers believes Liverpool FC winger Lazar Markovic is starting to justify his £20million price tag.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-boss-says-lazar-markovic-8315166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus christ, what has Mig done to deserve this shut out!?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Very good point.

We put Paul Heyman in charge of our transfers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Haha no way are we bidding 50m for anyone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement