Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

On Emre Can, the rumour goes that his attitude is poor and he's lazy in training. Hence the lack of first team action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ardent wrote: »
    Just want to say I was greatly encouraged by that performance today. All suggestions of a lost dressing room are completely debunked.

Also, I hardly recall Mr Alan posting on here last season- now that Rodgers is under some pressure this season, every second post belongs to him. Pathetic.

Jesus. What does it matter if someone didn't post last year and now they are posting. What an absurd way to attack someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Jesus. What does it matter if someone didn't post last year and now they are posting. What an absurd way to attack someone.

You know the answer to that...

I never thought i'd see the day when Utd fans would be defending Mr. Alan. Phb would be rolling in his cyber grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

On Emre Can, the rumour goes that his attitude is poor and he's lazy in training. Hence the lack of first team action.

Source of said rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

KJf3fEy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Skrtel's head has had more stitching then a Jim Henson muppet at this stage. It's a patchwork quilt of a scalp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

gafferino wrote: »
    Source of said rumour?

Indykaila lol

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If a new keeper does come in what's the plan?

Is it 'So long Brad...no you're going the wrong way, the door's over there' or is Mignolet going because he's not seeing eye to eye with 'The Rodgers' and we're back to relying on Jones if the new keeper f*cks up/falls out with him?

I reckon Mig' is gone, essentially for too many clangers and for not improving on his weaknesses..... His head could be in tatters too... As bad as Jones is I like his decision making and commitment, he came out of the box for one today and made sure he was getting there... You either have that or you don't.

The not seeing eye to eye with Rodgers isn't even paper talk afaik...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great post by whatawaster, I didn't agree with it all but still I thought it was worth a mention.

8 points from a possible 18 in our last 6 league games is still terrible but our last three performances in all competitions makes me believe that we've turned a corner and better results are on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

current odds have liverpool finishing 8th on 57 points come the end of the season.

at this point of the season since the league went to 38 games

1995-96 = F:29 A:15 Pts:28 (finished 3rd on 71 points)
    1996-97 = F:31 A:15 Pts:34 (finished 4th on 68)
    1997-98 = F:30 A:17 Pts:28 (finished 3rd on 65)
    1998-99 = F:27 A:22 Pts:22 (finished 7th on 54)
    1999-00 = F:24 A:14 Pts:30 (finished 4th on 67)
    2000-01 = F:32 A:24 Pts:27 (finished 3rd on 69)
    2001-02 = F:26 A:17 Pts:33 (finished 2nd on 80)
    2002-03 = F:27 A:17 Pts:31 (finished 5th on 64)
    2003-04 = F:26 A:19 Pts:25 (finished 4th on 60)
    2004-05 = F:25 A:19 Pts:25 (finished 5th on 58)
    2005-06 = F:25 A:9 Pts:37 (finished 3rd with 82)
    2006-07 = F:23 A:15 Pts:28 (finished 3rd with 68)
    2007-08 = F:31 A:11 Pts:33 (finished 4th with 76)
    2008-09 = F:26 A:11 Pts:38 (finished 2nd on 86)
    2009-10 = F:34 A:23 Pts:27 (finished 7th on 63)
    2010-11 = F:21 A:22 Pts:22 (finished 6th on 58)
    2011-12 = F:20 A:12 Pts:30 (finished 8th on 52)
    2012-13 = F:23 A:23 Pts:22 (finished 7th on 61)
    2013-14 = F:42 A:19 Pts:36 (finished 2nd on 84)
    2014-15 = F:21 A:24 Pts:22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

@ rossie1977

Do you not think the team can match/better the finish of the 2012/13 season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

SlickRic wrote: »
    Today, again, doesn't take a lot of in depth analysis to work out.

Rodgers got the tactics spot on. We looked as good as we have since Spurs. Lucas in particular was superb IMO.

the problems, again, were that we don't have top level forwards to take advantage, and we're an absolute shambles when defending balls into the box.

The first issue is down to Rodgers' transfer business, and the second is down to Rodgers' ignorance of our defensive issues. He may ultimately still get hung because of those deficiencies.

SlicRic while to the most part I agree with you and a couple of weeks I had said Rogers needed to go how can you say he is getting it spot on but the defense is still a shambles. While he can not account for Skertles getting out jumped by Debuchey but the defense does not seem they are getting a great training we need a better deference coach and better training we are not Barcelona or Madrid (or like last year) we will not score more than we will let in unless Ogri when he comes scores like Suarez. But we are in for the new Suarez also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Well that's how the story went before we signed Can. His attitude was always under the spotlight.

Then again, I'd be willing to punt on that rumour being bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reading through here and the match thread, watched motd and have not seen one mention that for arsenals second goal all toure had to do was stick his foot out. It ran straight in front of him !
    His reaction showed he knew he fooked up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The last 3 games have been a lot more encouraging and its finally good to watch the team again. Now to turn some good performances into results. I dont think we have a chance of top 4 this season but Im quite encouraged about the future as rodgers has started to work out a way of getting our quick technical players onto the pitch together. Its nothing like the hodgson era Im happy with a fair chunk of the players at the club and think things will improve big time over the 2nd half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Poor goalkeepers and the chopping and changing of the central defenders isn't helping matters. Rodgers needs to pick and stick with a defensive formation and the same personnel for a while. Sakho and toure never played together before and you could tell yesterday, the communication was very poor.

I have always liked skrtel he's a tough son of a bitch and has his strengths but he forgets the simple stuff far too often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

The last 3 games have been a lot more encouraging and its finally good to watch the team again. Now to turn some good performances into results. I dont think we have a chance of top 4 this season but Im quite encouraged about the future as rodgers has started to work out a way of getting our quick technical players onto the pitch together. Its nothing like the hodgson era Im happy with a fair chunk of the players at the club and think things will improve big time over the 2nd half of the season.

I wouldn't say we've turned the corner with "performances" against a Utd team who conceded 5 to the bottom club, a Championship club and a draw against a bottle-less team like Arsenal. Even Moyes beat Arsenal. Burney will be a tougher test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

cjmc wrote: »
    Reading through here and the match thread, watched motd and have not seen one mention that for arsenals second goal all toure had to do was stick his foot out. It ran straight in front of him !
    His reaction showed he knew he fooked up

I only noticed it while watching MOTD, he could have easily cut the ball out. Makes it even more frustrating that two avoidable errors resulted in dropped points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I only noticed it while watching MOTD, he could have easily cut the ball out. Makes it even more frustrating that two avoidable errors resulted in dropped points.

Think he left it so for skittles or someone so he wouldn't give a corner away but it was dire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Not gonna name names,am I? I'd be lynched.

But just to be clear,I'm not talking about any of the lads that have posted in the last hour.

You better not be talking about me! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think people are being a bit overly positive about yesterday's performance.

Liverpool controlled the game alright but arsenal were incredibly poor. And despite all the ball Liverpool had did they really create any proper clear cut chance? Even both goals weren't really what you'd call clear cut chances. It's all well and good having the ball but you need to able to do something with it. Against united they created far more good chances, just a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping let them down.

The first goal conceded was a pure shambles, skertel was pathetically weak for it, if that was john terry he'd have cleared ball and debuchy out if the box. Brad jones was poor for it too, he was afraid of the post and didn't throw himself at the ball as he should have. He could even have come and punched flamini's looping header but I suppose he would be expecting skertl to have that ball anyways.

I wouldn't think much of that markovic really, he's positive with the ball alright but his option taking is poor and for all the ball he had if don't recall him doing anything with it. Strerling and lallana were lively alright and both did look dangerous enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Taken from the humor thread.
    2j4bypc.jpg
    We think we've got problems at CB.

+1

Arsenal fan.

'The man with the big black bandage on his head.'

Isn't that how Stephen King's Gunslinger starts?
    'The man with the big black bandage on his head fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'

I think people are being a bit overly positive about yesterday's performance.

Liverpool controlled the game alright but arsenal were incredibly poor. And despite all the ball Liverpool had did they really create any proper clear cut chance? Even both goals weren't really what you'd call clear cut chances. It's all well and good having the ball but you need to able to do something with it. Against united they created far more good chances, just a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping let them down.

Markovich had a one on one, coutinho's goal, gerrards header and lucas had a clear sight on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    'The man with the big black bandage on his head fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'

Yeah, that story didn't end too well. Actually the end of that series for me was just like the end of last season. Just when you think you've got there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't think it's being overly positive, we were by far the better side and it really was a case of dropping two points. 2 goals without creating any clear cut chances should have been enough to comfortably beat them, but defensive mistakes let them back into it.

Yes Arsenal are a poor team, and we have shown that in the last two league games against them, but that shouldn't detract from the performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just want to say I was greatly encouraged by that performance today. All suggestions of a lost dressing room are completely debunked.

Also, I hardly recall Mr Alan posting on here last season- now that Rodgers is under some pressure this season, every second post belongs to him. Pathetic.

It's not hard to get some facts to back up, or otherwise, your argument these days with decent search. Mr Alan has posted 412 times since the start of this season in the soccer forum, and last season between Christmas day, when we were top, and 26th May he posted 226 times. It is less (and in slightly more time) but to say that there were hardly any posts is blatantly false.

The whole discussion is very petty anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

5starpool wrote: »
    It's not hard to get some facts to back up, or otherwise, your argument these days with decent search. Mr Alan has posted 412 times since the start of this season in the soccer forum, and last season between Christmas day, when we were top, and 26th May he posted 226 times. It is less (and in slightly more time) but to say that there were hardly any posts is blatantly false.

The whole discussion is very petty anyhow.

It's incredibly frustrating how that absolute nonsense is continually spouted by some in here. The hilarity is, if I didn't respond to those accusations constantly this season - I'd probably have posted less this season than last! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Markovich had a one on one, coutinho's goal, gerrards header and lucas had a clear sight on goal.

Szczesny made 8 saves also.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's incredibly frustrating how that absolute nonsense is continually spouted by some in here. The hilarity is, if I didn't respond to those accusations constantly this season - I'd probably have posted less this season than last! :p

I have your back Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think it's being overly positive, we were by far the better side and it really was a case of dropping two points. 2 goals without creating any clear cut chances should have been enough to comfortably beat them, but defensive mistakes let them back into it.

Yes Arsenal are a poor team, and we have shown that in the last two league games against them, but that shouldn't detract from the performance.

Both your goals were down to clear defensive mistakes from Arsenal.

greendom wrote: »
    Both your goals were down to clear defensive mistakes from Arsenal.

All 4 goals would have been prevented by competent defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

All 4 goals would have been prevented by competent defences.

And where would be the fun in that?

I dream of a league filled with Mertesacker's and Skrtel's. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Was at the game yesterday and the crowd very much still behind Rodgers.
    We played quite well I thought especially in the first half where we controlled possession well. Our defence is the obvious major problem and in my opinion the goalkeeping is the biggest issue. Jones should have cleaned debuchy for that goal. He should be more commanding.
    Draw was the least we deserved... Countinho played well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Was at the game yesterday and the crowd very much still behind Rodgers.
    We played quite well I thought especially in the first half where we controlled possession well. Our defence is the obvious major problem and in my opinion the goalkeeping is the biggest issue. Jones should have cleaned debuchy for that goal. He should be more commanding.
    Draw was the least we deserved... Countinho played well...

How did the pitch look?

Rodgers was moaning about it after the game, saying it was terrible; although I did hear that the groundsman was a committee signing so it isn't something we can blame Rodgers for.

Kirby wrote: »
    And where would be the fun in that?

I dream of a league filled with Mertesacker's and Skrtel's. :p

Liverpool this season are a dream come true then. Defending in general seems to be a bit of a lost art actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see we are being linked with a £25m bid for Fabio Coentrao.

I am kind of speakless if there is any truth to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I see we are being linked with a £25m bid for Fabio Coentrao.

I am kind of speakless if there is any truth to that.

Two things wrong with that, he's utter **** and there is no way anyone would pay £25m for him.

Filed under major BS, next to the Torres rumour.

Not sure how true it is, but I saw on the ever reliable twitter that in the last 2 league games our opponents have had 8 shots on target and we have conceded 5 goals. Comical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Except for, you know, the league performance. Where it's exactly the same.

They said on NBC they could see bald spots on the pitch around the goal area. Were saying Jones was doing well with the back passes and the goal area being poorly maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not sure how true it is, but I saw on the ever reliable twitter that in the last 2 league games our opponents have had 8 shots on target and we have conceded 5 goals. Comical stuff.

Thanks in no small part to our pantomime keeper!

If we don't sign a keeper from SOMEWHERE in Jan, I'll be astounded.

Neto, Karius both in the last year of their contract?
    I don't see Cech being allowed to join an English club.
    Or how about one of the CL departing clubs - Akinfeev? Offseason in Russia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Gits_bone wrote: »
    They said on NBC they could see bald spots on the pitch around the goal area. Were saying Jones was doing well with the back passes and the goal area being poorly maintained.

The goaltender-patch in front of his score-o-zone net? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The difference is no one thought Hogdson would or could get Liverpool out of the long ball rut he put the side in. Rodgers for all his miss-steps is adapting and looking for a way to improve things.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Thanks in no small part to our pantomime keeper!

If we don't sign a keeper from SOMEWHERE in Jan, I'll be astounded.

Neto, Karius both in the last year of their contract?
    I don't see Cech being allowed to join an English club.
    Or how about one of the CL departing clubs - Akinfeev? Offseason in Russia...

Ya, given the fact that Mignolet seems to be permanently dropped, if we don't sign a new keeper before our second league game in Jan (Sunderland on the 10th) I'll be astounded. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mignolet shipped out for around 5m either. It's more than just 'taking him out of the spotlight'. If you do that for games vs Utd, Arsenal and a cup quarter final then it's just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Looks like we've got another reader. "Whatcha readin for?!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The difference is no one thought Hogdson would or could get Liverpool out of the long ball rut he put the side in. Rodgers for all his miss-steps is adapting and looking for a way to improve things.

Honestly you can see the improvement in the team . All the team needs is a goal scorer and it will look a whole pile better .

garra wrote: »
    Looks like we've got another reader. "Whatcha readin for?!!"

Keep on trucking mate.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But if you look at the bigger picture this team has potential. I thought we were doomed with the squad Hodgson had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But if you look at the bigger picture this team has potential. I thought we were doomed with the squad Hodgson had.

Potential for what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement