Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gerrards pick of the best team from his time at the club.

Reina

Johnson--Hypia--Carragher--Riise

-Gerrard----Mascherano---Alonso-

----Suarez---Torres---Fowler----

Not a bad team.

Picks himself :cool:
    Only picks Johnson from the existing squad :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dickerty wrote: »
    We thought that about Tuesday...

It was a 1-0 stuffing my fruity friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I would like to see more of Can, Moreno, Manquillo, Borini, Lallana and Toure this season. Would be nice to see Rodgers sticking with same 11 for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Picks himself :cool:
    Only picks Johnson from the existing squad :eek:
    In fairness, the squad we have now is very young and other than himself and Johnson, no one is proven at all at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ebbsy wrote: »
    It was a 1-0 stuffing my fruity friend.

Against our B team!

Also, Chelsea have had their own struggles, draw last night and late winner against Shrewsbury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5live wrote: »
    Interesting article from Luis new autobiography about a chelsea player saying that if he didn't waste time during the chelsea/Liverpool game last year, he would be dropped.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea-player-feared-being-dropped-if-he-didnt-waste-time-in-anfield-clash-luis-suarez-30723152.html

Haha...you have to laugh at Mourinho's ego.

Agree with Suarez about the players approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Johnson left out of England squad,

Writing is on the wall Glenjo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Vicxas wrote: »
    Johnson left out of England squad,

Writing is on the wall Glenjo...

also, Hodgson doesn't just have it in for us RE: Sturridge previously.

Walcott has been recalled, despite barely playing since his return from injury.

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, Hodgson doesn't just have it in for us RE: Sturridge previously.

Walcott has been recalled, despite barely playing since his return from injury.

Also also, he is "respecting" Walcott's recovery plan, where as when we told him to respect Sturridge's we were told we're being foolish....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I have a sneaky feeling we might see sturridge on the bench this weekend.

My preferred 11:
    Mig
    Manquillo toure lovren moreno
    Lucas
    Can coutinho
    Henderson
    Sterling borini

My predicted 11:
    Mig
    Johnson skrtel lovren moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson can
    Sterling coutinho
    Balotelli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Gerrards pick of the best team from his time at the club.

Reina

Johnson--Hypia--Carragher--Riise

-Gerrard----Mascherano---Alonso-

----Suarez---Torres---Fowler----

Not a bad team.

Arbeloa at right back and surprised he picked fowler above owen given fowler only scored 30 league goals during gerrards stint in the first team while owen scored 91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lallana, Henderson, Sterling & Lambert named in the England squad.

Johnson dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lallana, Henderson, Sterling & Lambert named in the England squad.

Johnson dropped.

That is really a damning indictment of England!

1 that Johnson lasted so long and 2, barring Sterling, they haven't been that great this season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Paper doesn't refuse ink, for me total hog wash. Would love to know who on the Chelsea team Suarez is so pally pally with they would get that information from. Would have thought after the Ivan incident he would be the last Liverpool player any Chelsea player would have "chatted" with.
    I don't think football players at that level as as tribalistic as fans of individual clubs are.

And the south american players would surely come across each other during flights back and forth to international fixtures with players from their own clubs and other clubs from different countries so the opportunities for talking would be relatively frequent during long flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Arbeloa at right back and surprised he picked fowler above owen given fowler only scored 30 league goals during gerrards stint in the first team while owen scored 91
    Id have finnan right back all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-striker-daniel-sturridge-8062078

Liverpool FC striker Daniel Sturridge looks set to miss Saturday's Premier League clash with Chelsea at Anfield.

The 25-year-old still hasn't returned to full training – three weeks after he suffered a calf injury.

Sturridge did his rehab work away from the main group at Melwood today and is unlikely to feature against his former club.

The England frontman, who hasn't played for the Reds since August, should be fit to make his comeback away to Crystal Palace on November 23 following the international break.

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has flown in to attend Saturday's game at Anfield.

Principal owner John W Henry had originally intended to also make the trip but he has instead headed to the Middle East to pursue business opportunities.

Henry has been meeting with industry leaders in Dubai and watched the UAE Arabian Gulf League game between Al-Wasl and Ajman.

The Fenway Sports Group chief was accompanied by former Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry, who has strong contacts in the region.

Among the possible commercial opportunities being explored are a naming rights deal for Anfield's redeveloped Main Stand and also a shirt sponsorship deal. The current one with Standard Chartered runs until the summer of 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

How's Lambert still getting England call ups when he's not playing regularly?

I'm aware England aren't blessed with strikers but surely somebody playing regular football should be getting in ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rodgers wrote:
    "I put out the best team I thought could get a result v RM. My players were magnificent on the night."

Magnificent?! :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I see your point Alan, I particularly liked the part where you expanded on your solid introduction of repeating one word Rodgers said in a media interview, with a rolleyes

I finally feel like I get you y'know?

• Advertisement

Yeah....thats what managers do. They talk up their players. Managers been doing that for quite some time now.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/luis-suarez-overachieved-liverpool-fc-8061755

“I went to the meeting with Ajax and came out and called the owner in America and said, ‘I’ve got this deal, it’s more than we expected,’ and he said, ‘OK, but it’s coming out of your budget next summer.’

To be fair, they did a lot better than the "full" team at Anfield....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wonderful contribution as usual :rolleyes:

Vicxas wrote: »
    To be fair, they did a lot better than the "full" team at Anfield....

But nowhere near magnificent. Slightly above average against a Real team in first gear.

The mentality of the team is all wrong this season & it's a large part to do with nonsense like praising that performance as magnificent tbh

I'm still to hear a decent argument why the guys dropped would have put in a better shift the other night. Guys that on the whole have been poor this season

• Advertisement

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-views-8058818

Divock Origi will get his first taste of the City of Liverpool this evening as Lille take on Everton and boss Brendan Rodgers has been keeping tabs on his progress.

"We're in regular contact with the kid, he's a wonderful talent," Rodgers said.

"I get all of his games downloaded from our recruitment team. We're in contact, which is great, and we're helping him with his game.

"He's a big talent for someone so young and we're looking at aspects of his game.

"When he plays in France, we get a download of the game here, analyse that and then feedback to him on areas he can improve in the game and what he's doing very, very well, so when he comes into here next summer he's prepared and we know the areas of his game that are his strengths.

"Hopefully in this time, he can improve in other areas."

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'm still to hear a decent argument why the guys dropped would have put in a better shift the other night. Guys that on the whole have been poor this season

You havent heard one as there isnt one. They went out, played fairly well and tried their b*llox off. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gafferino wrote: »
    You havent heard one as there isnt one. They went out, played fairly well and tried their b*llox off. Enough said.

You'll hear stuff like, "Tried, is it? Because that's the standard? We still lost :mad:"

Despite the fact we were losing before hand, regardless, with players not putting in seemingly near as much effort.

Lets see what the lineup and performance is like for Chelsea. We were in for a guaranteed loss without a shake up, I feel. Who knows now. I'm hoping its the kick that the players needed.

Just to clarify, I've no issue with the team Rodgers picked. My issue is pretending that we were great out in Madrid. We weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

But nowhere near magnificent. Slightly above average against a Real team in first gear.

The mentality of the team is all wrong this season & it's a large part to do with nonsense like praising that performance as magnificent tbh

"Slightly above average" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

You need to stop believing everything you read. This is some pretty standard PR.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

There isnt, the team that played Newcastle looked like the couldnt be arsed, the guys who played RM looked like the Liverpool of last year, fast paced and willing to run with the ball.

Something we've been lacking a lot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

D'Agger wrote: »
    I see your point Alan, I particularly liked the part where you expanded on your solid introduction of repeating one word Rodgers said in a media interview, with a rolleyes

I finally feel like I get you y'know?

Jaysus, so you're not allowed to communicate a point snappily if it is critical about Rodgers or a player or the club? Harrumph. It's like you need to couch a negative in five paragraphs of mealy mouthed positivity to keep people happy. Bonus: :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, I've no issue with the team Rodgers picked. My issue is pretending that we were great out in Madrid. We weren't.

It was better than the crap we had been producing before. Great, no. But everyone was expecting a hammering. Sure, that should never be a position Liverpool are in, but its reality.

How we progress from this is what matters. The Madrid game has given cause for some optimism in that the manager and the players can do just this.

You seem to be completely disregarding this in order to maintain your stance that we weren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

****ing hell. The side he picked put in a credible performance, and one that was much improved from the previous Saturday. "Magnificent" is absolutely a bull**** and wrong word to describe it however. Echoes of "famous" victories in Turkey tbh...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Echoes of "famous" victories in Turkey tbh...

This is exactly what came to mind for me too

****ing hell. The side he picked put in a credible performance, and one that was much improved from the previous Saturday. "Magnificent" is absolutely a bull**** and wrong word to describe it however. Echoes of "famous" victories in Turkey tbh...
    This is exactly what came to mind for me too

There isnt a manager in any sport anywhere in the world who doesnt big up his teams performance or players at times.

Dalglish, Benitez.... they all did it and sometimes its needed regardless. Rodgers has been critical of the team too in recent weeks. Its not all sunshine and rainbows but talking up a performance is standard.

Rodgers has never gone anywhere near that Hodgson quote. He has always talked about 'big club', 'expectation to win' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its a black and white world for some here, you need to look past the headlines, read between the lines and ignore manager speak

Jaysus, so you're not allowed to communicate a point snappily if it is critical about Rodgers or a player or the club? Harrumph. It's like you need to couch a negative in five paragraphs of mealy mouthed positivity to keep people happy. Bonus: :rolleyes:
    Exactly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I thought the team he picked was grand, apart from Markovic. Would have definitely opted for Sterling instead. It was obvious looking at the team sheet that Liverpool were largely going to try and contain and have very few chances to score. Sterling would have offered more of a threat on the counter, increased the chances of producing a moment of magic and generally would have tracked back better than Markovic. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, but would have increased your chances for sure.

I agree that the performance wasn't magnificent, it was decent/above average. Real were very comfortable throughout and probably score 3 goals in that game on another night with the chances they created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

:rolleyes:

Just thought i wouldn't like to be left out of the whole 'roll eyes' infestation today:)

• Advertisement

I love the fact that because the result didn't live up to peoples expectations they are taking comfort in the 'on another night Madrid would have won by X amount' line.

On another night the ref wouldn't have been fooled by Ramos' dive and Borini equalised.

We got a draw, fantastic performance.

Edit: Magnificent even.

There is a couple of posters that will jump on anything Rodgers says. Its media talk its for printing headlines, that is all, that plonk Mourinho does exactly the same thing.

Im sure what he says behind closed doors is a lot different.

Comparing his comments to Hodgson lol give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suarez on Flanagan (Who has been a big loss & forgotten about a bit)

B1xI85DIIAAJklr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am not sure Flanagan will be pleased or annoyed with that!

Does he wish him well?

That is high praise there probably isn't many young players he singles out in his book. I agree with him I have always seen the comparison too. Only 21 too plenty of time to be as good as Jamie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Flanno came back with a bit more attacking flair and decent crossing ability, he could easily reach the level of Coleman and Zabaleta.

When Suarez says you're good, you are feckin good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Why wouldnt he be pleased, i'd be fairly certain Jon Flannagan isnt swanning around thinking he's Maradonna.

It's just a shame more younger players dont recognise that technical ability isnt the be all and end all of making it. We've seen a fair few 'next best things' over the past few years coming up through the ranks who have not amounted to much, maybe if they had the work ethic and drive of Flannagan they could have made it at the club.

I really don't see Flanno on the training pitch, doing a Ronaldinho. I'd be fairly certain he's aware of his limitations. That's probably one of his main strengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

when is he back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement