Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Carroll is fit for the first time in 2 years and downing is having a purple patch. Those are the facts and posters are using this as a stick to yet again beat the manager and the transfer policy.

They are 1st and 2nd our two worst signings ever. The fees paid for such one dimensional players was ridiculous.

Downing is just doing what he did with Villa before we signed him.
    Pressure didn't suit him or whatever at Liverpool, wasn't up to it anyway

Carroll wouldn't have fitted into last seasons setup. Not a bloody chance.

Suarez and Sturridge were on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I dont think anyone actually believes that dumping Downing and especially Carroll
    were bad moves, likewise with Adam and Shelvey .
    Do they ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers makes Dalglish look like a genius in the transfer market tbh.

just no. ken waa the wurst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

cjmc wrote: »
    I dont think anyone actually believes that dumping Downing and especially Carroll
    were bad moves, likewise with Adam and Shelvey .
    Do they ???
    Shelvey would be a squad player who we could certainly have made use of, he's only 22 and by no means the finished article. As an advanced midfielder he's definitely a better option than Joe Allen.

I agree totally with this the likes of Witsel, Gracia, Yarmolenko, Konoplyanka, Garay are all getable if we can offer them decent wages.
    That's quite a shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Is that why Balotelli and Lambert were signed?

Lambert for a couple of million to offer a plan B (which sadly) became plan A for a handful of games v Andy Carroll for a then £35m. Closer to £45m now since the last tv deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talisman wrote: »
    That's quite a shopping list.

2 DMs to pick from 2 wing forwards to pick from and a CB.

But as you say the financial circumstances in Russia mean all players are there for the picking with decent offers made.

It seems we have money to make offers but not the wages so getting these players at knock down prices may help paying them decent wages,

Russia is where the value in the market will be in the next 12 months.

I agree totally with this the likes of Witsel, Gracia, Yarmolenko, Konoplyanka, Garay are all getable if we can offer them decent wages.

From the snippets I've seen Witsel is one who could be a big addition.
    Think he signed for around €60k, could be £. If he's still on that deal its by no means above Liverpool's wage ceiling.

Unfortunately its not a deal I see even coming close to happening. Mores the pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    Should have only loaned shelvey too. Might aswell go for the full house while we're at it.

What's Dani Pacheco doing these days?

Probably labouring on a Spanish building site.

• Advertisement

Lets just re-sign everyone that was sold on during the last 5 years.

Thank God Alberto and Aspas are only out on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

And your point is? 1 never wanted to come to Liverpool and the other from our greatest rival. Would never have got either

Money talks. Sanchez would have signed but pool dicked around over wages. Arsenal are big rival of United and Welbeck went there

Hidalgo wrote: »
    From the snippets I've seen Witsel is one who could be a big addition.
    Think he signed for around €60k, could be £. If he's still on that deal its by no means above Liverpool's wage ceiling.

Unfortunately its not a deal I see even coming close to happening. Mores the pity.

Witsel is a beast of a player and having him in front of the defence would be amazing. The defenders would know the are protected by a real player.

Thing is if he is avaiable it would a bidding war we wouldn't be anywhere near winning.

That is why I'd love to see the club go in early for players like him.

Shelvey would be a squad player who we could certainly have made use of, he's only 22 and by no means the finished article. As an advanced midfielder he's definitely a better option than Joe Allen.

He would WHEN hes on his game and not sent off
    I was a fan of his but he blows hot and very cold from what ive seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's far better than Allen who is on far higher wages & cost £15m transfer fee & a £2m signing on fee :(

He's far better than Allen who is on far higher wages & cost £15m transfer fee & a £2m signing on fee :(

Probably :(

Probably :(

Probably not.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably not.

Genuinely all things equal, I'd take him ahead of Allen.

And that's without the £20m odd extra that bringing in Allen would have set us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Chris Bascombe reporting that Sakho and Enrique will be sold next summer if the right offer comes in

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11309446/Liverpool-FC-news-Twelve-defenders-may-face-Anfield-exit-in-overhaul.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd much prefer Allen in the squad being able to cover DM and CM instead of Shelvey covering AM.

:confused: A single red card in his Liverpool career.

:confused: A single red card in his Liverpool career.

Really , thought it was more ! Got a few since ?

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Chris Bascombe reporting that Sakho and Enrique will be sold next summer if the right offer comes in

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11309446/Liverpool-FC-news-Twelve-defenders-may-face-Anfield-exit-in-overhaul.html

No defenders are safe is what I took from it.
    Mamadou Sakho and Jose Enrique are also far from certain to avoid the next squad cull.
    Three established members of Rodgers' back four – Kolo Touré, Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan – will be free agents this summer, enabling them to leave on a Bosman transfer unless the club offers new deals.
    Martin Skrtel has been a regular starter under Rodgers but he has only 18 months left on his current deal and there has been no approach to extend his terms yet
    Defenders Sebastian Coates, Andre Wisdom and Tiago Ilori are currently on loan elsewhere, waiting to see if they have any long-term future at Anfield,

Genuinely all things equal, I'd take him ahead of Allen.

And that's without the £20m odd extra that bringing in Allen would have set us back.

Not a chance for me. Allen has been underwhelming and anonymous a lot of the time but that trumps being sh*te and noticeable for all the wrong reasons.

I'd say Swansea fans would be happier having kept Allen and saved the couple of million we mugged them for with Shelvey.

I'd much prefer Allen in the squad being able to cover DM and CM instead of Shelvey covering AM.

I'd prefer to keep Shelvey & then spend some of the £20m invested into Allen on a proper defensive midfielder.

Instead of signing Allen & then proclaiming his fee a bargain & comparing him to Xavi :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No defenders are safe is what I took from it.

Just read it there now too, I was judging on a tweet I saw which singled out Sakho and Enrique. Somehow Lovren is not included on that list, hes been atrocious whilst Manquillo is considering he hasnt done too badly in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

WItzel is not good. There's a reason he's plying his trade in a nothing league. The reason Belgium didn't do good in the WC is because of their midfield. Witsel and Fellaini.

It's not a case of either/or you can have both. Allen has been a square peg in a round hole played in the advanced position.

Just read it there now too, I was judging on a tweet I saw which singled out Sakho and Enrique. Somehow Lovren is not included on that list, hes been atrocious whilst Manquillo is considering he hasnt done too badly in my opinion.

Manquillo two year loan deal is costing the somewhere in the region of £5/6m on a loan fee I heard on a podcast or Talksport that is for a player if he gets better his club probably won't sell him to us that maybe the reason his deal is cut short.

That is again alot of money used up.

I like him and think he has done ok so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Allen has looked poor when starting this season but decent when coming off the bench and pinching possession back

Shelvey was decent but his defence and tackling wasn't good enough. Allen mightn't have Shelveys shooting or passing range, he gives work ethic which is what we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Also when's Flanno back? Saw him in training pics recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bascombe covering all angles, means fvck all really. We know Johnson will be off, Kolo at his age could well retire. Obviously the loan players are at one remove and easy to single out but there is no proof they wont return.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Manquillo two year loan deal is costing the somewhere in the region of £5/6m on a loan fee I heard on a podcast or Talksport that is for a player if he gets better his club probably won't sell him to us that maybe the reason his deal is cut short.

That is again alot of money used up.

I like him and think he has done ok so far.

I thought / presumed there was an option to buy at the end of the 2 yrs. Knowing us though there probably is not..

I thought / presumed there was an option to buy at the end of the 2 yrs. Knowing us though there probably is not..

I can't see how if he turns out to be useless we sent him back.

If he turns out to be a £30+m player we probably couldn't afford him.

I can't see either club agreeing on a price 2 years before a sale not knowing which player he could turn out to be.

Who knows though when it comes to transfers with this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

D'Agger wrote: »
    Allen has looked poor when starting this season but decent when coming off the bench and pinching possession back

Shelvey was decent but his defence and tackling wasn't good enough. Allen mightn't have Shelveys shooting or passing range, he gives work ethic which is what we need.

Allen has been one of the frustratingly anonymous players we've signed in the past 5 years. Doesn't give the protection that an ageing Lucas is still providing nor has he provided a single assist in his time here - ridiculous.
    I'd be perfectly happy if we got rid in January.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All the people mentioned there are within 18 months of the end of their current deals. Lovren isn't even close I'd say, probably around 3.5 or 4.5 left there.

mosstin wrote: »
    Doesn't give the protection that an ageing Lucas is still providing .

Lucas is only 27. Wouldnt class that as being old enough to be sent to the nackers yard

5starpool wrote: »
    All the people mentioned there are within 18 months of the end of their current deals. Lovren isn't even close I'd say, probably around 3.5 or 4.5 left there.

Surely Sakhos contract goes for longer than 18 months, he was only signed last summer. He surely has 2.5 years left anyway

Lucas is only 27. Wouldnt class that as being old enough to be sent to the nackers yard

Nah, more of the fact that he's endured some bad injuries over the years and plays in an attritional position. Allen often seems to be neither one (DM) nor the other (CM).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

The Carroll transfer has never riled me like it does some. I think he is an excellent player & the fact we brought in Suarez in the same window for a fee that now gets us the likes of Joe Allen, Markovic, Lallana, Lovern etc

Don't get me wrong, it was stupid money. But not much more stupid that the fees we're paying for lesser players now.

No. 35m is 35m. It was ridiculous on every level. You pay 35m you should be virtually guaranteeing yourself world class. Whoever made the decision it was ridiculous and even more panicked than Balotelli was this season.

You say it doesn't rile you? If it was Rodgers who bought him it would. In fact I'm quite sure you would be fuming. I'm not having a go but you plainly don't like Rodgers and that obviously colours a lot of your posting. You love Kenny (I assume like most of us) so he gets a bit more leniency but that has to be one of the worst transfers the club has made when value, impact and sell on value is accounted for.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Nah, more of the fact that he's endured some bad injuries over the years and plays in an attritional position. Allen often seems to be neither one (DM) nor the other (CM).

I do agree with you on Allen though, hes a nothing player and Ive never been a fan.

Id much rather Lucas as an option than him tbh

Witsel is a beast of a player and having him in front of the defence would be amazing. The defenders would know the are protected by a real player.

Thing is if he is avaiable it would a bidding war we wouldn't be anywhere near winning.

That is why I'd love to see the club go in early for players like him.

Only way I could see Liverpool nabbing him is quickly and queitly. Something I've very little faith in happening. If he wanted to move his agent would be touting him and he'd get far more high profile offers than Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gafferino wrote: »
    No. 35m is 35m. It was ridiculous on every level. You pay 35m you should be virtually guaranteeing yourself world class. Whoever made it the decision it was ridiculous and even more panicked than Balotelli was this season.

You say it doesn't rile you? If it was Rodgers who bought him it would. In fact I'm quite sure you would be fuming. I'm not having a go but you plainly don't like Rodgers and that obviously colours a lot of your posting. You love Kenny (I assume like most of us) so he gets a bit more leniency but that has to be one of the worst transfers the club has made when value, impact and sell in value is accounted for.

In Mr Alans world Dalglish and Rodgers could sign the same player and he'd be better if signed by Kenny! Seriously....some people.

The Mirror has that Cech's agent has informed the club that he is available.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it right now,

D'Agger wrote: »
    Also when's Flanno back? Saw him in training pics recently

I posted that pic and it was included with the full squad training pics so I'd imagine he is out on the pitch with them. Iirc he was due back In January so he's probably building up strength and fitness.

Didn't realise he was out of contract this summer. My heart says I'd like to see him stay but my head says he's not good enough to be at the level we want to be at. Maybe if he hadn't of got that injury he would have been able to develop more but I fear his time may be up. I'd imagine that is why they brought in Manquillo on loan I.e. To see if he's good enough and also the suspicion that Flannigan wasn't and/or may not recover 100%.

Has anyone been watching Kelly at Palace? How has he been doing? Always liked him.

The Mirror has that Cech's agent has informed the club that he is available.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it right now,

Excellent and tell Petr we all said hello.

I posted that pic and it was included with the full squad training pics so I'd imagine he is out on the pitch with them. Iirc he was due back In January so he's probably building up strength and fitness.

Didn't realise he was out of contract this summer. My heart says I'd like to see him stay but my head says he's not good enough to be at the level we want to be at. Maybe if he hadn't of got that injury he would have been able to develop more but I fear his time may be up. I'd imagine that is why they brought in Manquillo on loan I.e. To see if he's good enough and also the suspicion that Flannigan wasn't and/or may not recover 100%.

Has anyone been watching Kelly at Palace? How has he been doing? Always liked him.

Flanno last season looked far superior to Manquillo this season. He's far more assured defensively though offers less going forward.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Surely Sakhos contract goes for longer than 18 months, he was only signed last summer. He surely has 2.5 years left anyway

Yes, you are right, carry on.

We could buy Chelsea's defence and within a month there would be calamities every game I'd say.

In Mr Alans world Dalglish and Rodgers could sign the same player and he'd be better if signed by Kenny! Seriously....some people.

Well, like most, I love Kenny and there are not many people associated with football clubs that mean as much as he does to Liverpool so he will always be given some leniency.

I don't share Mr. Alan's views on Rodgers for the most part but when someone gets under your skin you just have no time for them and everything they do can be spinned in a negative way and vice versa. I try to stay a bit more objective and even though I would have given Kenny another year I think it was clear things were bad. Rodgers needs to have a hell of a second half of the season to turn this around. I believe he can.

• Advertisement

No. 35m is 35m. It was ridiculous on every level. You pay 35m you should be virtually guaranteeing yourself world class. Whoever made the decision it was ridiculous and even more panicked than Balotelli was this season.

You say it doesn't rile you? If it was Rodgers who bought him it would. In fact I'm quite sure you would be fuming. I'm not having a go but you plainly don't like Rodgers and that obviously colours a lot of your posting. You love Kenny (I assume like most of us) so he gets a bit more leniency but that has to be one of the worst transfers the club has made when value, impact and sell on value is accounted for.

Maybe if Rodgers bought a player as good as Suarez in the same window i'd be a bit more forgiving.

I agree the Carroll transfer was awful btw. Absolutely shocking. Just saying it doesn't anger me like it does some people. Likely because we did some really great business over the same period like Suarez & Henderson.

Whereas with Rodgers, it's been universally poor except for Sturridge & maybe Coutinho, despite the mega money spent.

To qualify, £35m should get guaranteed world class, yet look at the money spent on Balotelli, Lallana, Allen, Sakho, Borini, Markovic, Lovern...about £150m down the pretty much down the toilet when it comes to getting top 4 this year.

I can forgive 1, 2, 3 bad signings. I've always said a manager with a 50:50 rate is doing well. Rodgers is just nowhere near that. And that isn't my perceived dislike of him coming to that conclusion, even his fans agree! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement