Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

These Torres rumours don't seem to be going away. Really hope there's nothing in them, it would be such a huge backwards step.

The Irish Times were reporting him going back to Athletico.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ac-milan-looking-to-offload-fernando-torres-to-atl%C3%A9tico-madrid-1.2046938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Joe Allen is just there to make up the numbers, a forgettable, bit-part player who's injured most of the time. 15 millions worth of nothingness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think Cech is a different situation to Cole (who is getting on) and Mata (who is clearly not the player he was). He's not as good as he was but better than our options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

5starpool wrote: »
    Joe Allen has had some good games for us, but they have been far outweighed by the games where he has been as effective as a wet paper towel.

When we were are on it and pressing as a team last year he was a key part of that unfortunately when we don't press effectively "as a a team" as with this season, Allen invariably comes in for a lot more stick then other worthy candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That some people think better of Shelvey than Allen tells me thread patrons are on the Sherry a bit early this Chrimbo.

When we were are on it and pressing as a team last year he was a key part of that unfortunately when we don't press effectively "as a a team" as with this season, Allen invariably comes in for a lot more stick then other worthy candidates.

Yep, as someone else said Henderson deserves just as much criticism but escapes it cos he runs a lot.

Allen also wasn't helped by the manager with his 'Welsh Xavi' comments, or him abandoning his style of football that Allen was to be central to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Cech would be a great signing 3rd or 4th best keeper in the league and a massive upgrade on what we have.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shelvey is not good enough for us either, although at one point I had hopes that he might be, but his passing and decision making let him down ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shelvey wouldn't get into any of Chelsea, City, Utd or Arsenal's first teams if people think he is the standard of player we need we will never make the top 4 again.

Allen isn't much better but he is better but still not good enough for what we need if we want to make the top 4 or better year after year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's a weak little nothing footballer ultimately. When a player is given lots of game time in a side that was winning lots of matches for a period then yeah - he'll have some good games. This season he's been the first player to break under pressure. Weak.

Just like Aspas, Alberto, and Johnson all looked good last year....

I like Allen, he's a good player to have in the squad or in a partnership with Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

That some people think better of Shelvey than Allen tells me thread patrons are on the Sherry a bit early this Chrimbo.

And it was a mistake selling Downing and Carroll.

Hats off to Luis Garcia!

432868_heroa.jpg

Indian Super League Champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's a weak little nothing footballer ultimately. When a player is given lots of game time in a side that was winning lots of matches for a period then yeah - he'll have some good games. This season he's been the first player to break under pressure. Weak.

Henderson has been a bigger disappointment this season imo.
    Allen has always struck me as a consistent 5-7 out of 10 player with the odd 8 cancelled out by some 4s.
    Henderson showed his worth last season but seems to be now operating at a level akin to his first season.

I know he's not in his most effective position but too often lately he's struggled with basic control of the ball coupled with poor passing.
    He's one who should be driving on from last season and becoming a leader.

Try playing Allen at wingback and see how he goes.

I know Allen is tiny but I think he's a better option that Jones in goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

This can all be summed up thus;
    Knock knock
    Who's there?
    Joe
    Joe who?
    Joe Allen
    **** off

Minutes later....

Knock knock
    Who's there?
    **** off Joe
    It's not Joe
    Who's there?
    Jonjo
    Jonjo who?
    Jonjo Shelvey
    **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So a bit more optimism about then barring the usuals?

It's good to see Rodgers trying something different because the way things were going he wasn't going to last long. I've some grounds for optimism which is good because I was getting seriously worried Rodgers was brain freezing on the job.

He's undoubtedly a good coach and it's heartening to see Lalana and Markovic starting to settle in a bit.

I wonder who actually bought Mario? I was reading that Rodgers wanted Bony but the club wouldn't pay up, Mario seems one of those that the crazy computer said yes to, for some unknown reason!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Two Januarys ago LFC spent 20m on two players - Sturridge and Countinho. They both made a significant difference to the 2nd half of the season. Can Liverpool find another pair to make the same sort of impact for the same outlay (net as a few may leave)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mosstin wrote: »
    This can all be summed up thus;
    Knock knock
    Who's there?
    Joe
    Joe who?
    Joe Allen
    **** off

Minutes later....

Knock knock
    Who's there?
    **** off Joe
    It's not Joe
    Who's there?
    Jonjo
    Jonjo who?
    Jonjo Shelvey
    **** off

Hi it's Jay Spearing here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Two Januarys ago LFC spent 20m on two players - Sturridge and Countinho. They both made a significant difference to the 2nd half of the season. Can Liverpool find another pair to make the same sort of impact for the same outlay (net as a few may leave)?

MessI and ronaldo?

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »

**** off an' all Jay.

I hope so. If it's not done early January I won't be too hopeful.

I'm hoping players are already lined up and just sign jan 1st. Pretty sure that happened with Sturridge.

Probably too much to ask for though

Didn't see you down there Jay.

Catflap. Now can't get him out.

Why does Jay Spearing laugh when playing football?

The grass is tickling his balls

**** off an' all Jay.
    Catflap. Now can't get him out.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why does Jay Spearing laugh when playing football?

The grass is tickling his balls

Jay+Spearing+Malaysia+XI+v+Liverpool+ejhUSufHPHFl.jpg

Just thinking about that, we've signed 4 what I'd call strikers under Rodgers, about £40 Million or so with only Sturridge a success.

5 or 6 AM/WF types, with only Coutinho a success for me, early days for the £45 Million or so spent on Lalana and Markovic.

Big money spent on the back 4 as well, Sakho and Lovren not great so far.

It's pretty damning stuff with over £200 Million spent that we have Jones in goals!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

K-9 wrote: »
    So a bit more optimism about then barring the usuals?

It's good to see Rodgers trying something different because the way things were going he wasn't going to last long. I've some grounds for optimism which is good because I was getting seriously worried Rodgers was brain freezing on the job.

He's undoubtedly a good coach and it's heartening to see Lalana and Markovic starting to settle in a bit.

I wonder who actually bought Mario? I was reading that Rodgers wanted Bony but the club wouldn't pay up, Mario seems one of those that the crazy computer said yes to, for some unknown reason!

Undoubtedly?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Undoubtedly?

Undoubtedly good, just not a great one. ;)

The signings are the major problem which is stating the obvious, going with Sturridge and Mario was far too risky after last season. Where the blame lies and what the fall out will be will be fun finding out. I can see heads rolling for that which will give a fair idea of who was responsible.

K-9 wrote: »
    Undoubtedly good, just not a great one. ;)

The signings are the major problem which is stating the obvious, going with Sturridge and Mario was far too risky after last season. Where the blame lies and what the fall out will be will be fun finding out. I can see heads rolling for that which will give a fair idea of who was responsible.

I would have thought a good coach focuses on defending and attacking. He clearly, and what Carragher said, doesn't focus on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Shelvey wouldn't get into any of Chelsea, City, Utd or Arsenal's first teams if people think he is the standard of player we need we will never make the top 4 again.

Allen isn't much better but he is better but still not good enough for what we need if we want to make the top 4 or better year after year.

I dont think anyone wants him back... people are just making the observation that Allen is overpriced, hardly contributes, is a weakling, cant make assists etc...

Whereas with Shelvey, he is hot headed, full blooded, very bad decision maker, faster and stronger than Allen and can actually assist and score some goals... and didnt cost €15m but wanted to leave because he may not get a game with the likes of Allen, Alberto and Aspa's ahead of him....

But for what it's worth, i'd rather his physicality and craziness than a "tidy" player in Allen, who sometimes nicks the ball away people..

I would have thought a good coach focuses on defending and attacking. He clearly, and what Carragher said, doesn't focus on both.

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

mada999 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone wants him back... people are just making the observation that Allen is overpriced, hardly contributes, is a weakling, cant make assists etc...

Whereas with Shelvey, he is hot headed, full blooded, very bad decision maker, faster and stronger than Allen and can actually assist and score some goals... and didnt cost €15m but wanted to leave because he may not get a game with the likes of Allen, Alberto and Aspa's ahead of him....

But for what it's worth, i'd rather his physicality and craziness than a "tidy" player in Allen, who sometimes nicks the ball away people..

I'm sorry what? Allen might be a midget but he's a damn sight faster than Shelvey.

Hmmm

Go on?

On the subject of wee Jay, I actually had a lot of time for him. He gave his all every time he stepped on a pitch for us. His all was not good enough, but you could never accuse the little fella of a lack of effort, so a big pat on the head to young Jay.

I wish him well.

Go on?

Reactionary post looking for reaction. Cmon, every coach of a premier league club is a good coach. Not every one in great which is what K9 said.

It's better to be controversial though isn't it. Not buying it

Reactionary post looking for reaction. Cmon, every coach of a premier league club is a good coach. Not every one in great which is what K9 said.

It's better to be controversial though isn't it. Not buying it

Are we talking a good coach in terms of PL or good coach in terms of the average joe?

Ok so...Brendan Rodgers is an amazing manager because he managed to buy Mario Balotelli, an Italian International and League winner. :rolleyes:

Brendan Rodgers is an amazing coach because he beat Spurs etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I wonder how many more full games we'll see out of Balotelli. Frankly, I'd be happy if that number was 0. I'd take a loss on him in Jan and promote Sinclair, I don't think he has anything to offer us in combination with any striker we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

There are no hard n fast rules. Some coaches like Mourinho emphasise defensive solidity above all else others like Guardiola are of a more attacking bent. And some like Ancelotti are somewhere in between. They are all great coaches. The only common denominator between all great coaches is they win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Berahino another player who doesn't score enough. I like him a lot but why aren't we buying a player like Bony, Benteke or Milik? No nonsense goalscorers. Players like Origi, Borini, Balotelli and Berahino are very talented and are young, but just don't score enough.

What I would give to see Sturridge partnered by a Fowler, Owen or Rush....

Hopefully just more idle paper crap talk.

The general rule of thumb I abide by generally is that we aren't seriously in for a player until it is being very widely reported. Even then it certainly doesn't mean we are going to sign them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

brevity wrote: »

MV5BMTIzNDI5MTc0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjM5NDU5._V1_SY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Not which one of us is Harry or Lloyd.

• Advertisement

Might at well get Carroll back too. He's hitting form.

Or Austin, be bagged a hatrick the weekend

Ah for gods sake, why would anyone even bother with that class of link?

The Purple Patch Club.

Ah for gods sake, why would anyone even bother with that class of link?

For the lols.

brevity wrote: »
    For the lols.

If I had some alcohol in the house.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement