Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »

Just don't see it happening. Rodgers needs to buy someone who will pretty much guarantee him goals. Berahino isn't that player - seems more of a streak scoring striker than anything else. There's also the fact that the Baggies are reputedly asking for £20 million+ for him which is in itself insane but would FSG trust Rodgers/TC with that outlay given the return on our most recent investments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

8-10 wrote: »
    What I would give to see Sturridge partnered by a Fowler, Owen or Rush....

Just seeing his name reminded me that Rush, bought as a promising 19 year old (i think), had a rocky start to his career at Liverpool before blossoming. Here's hoping the class of 14/15 potentials can emulate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wonder how long before you start to see functionally playing without a keeper?

Bayern are nearly doing it at this stage given how much of the game Neuer seems happy to play outside his box.

We may as well give it a go. Sure, if we're always conceding from chances and only conceding a couple every game anyway what difference would it make?

It'd be gas to see it. Just the absolute melt-down. Sky Sports News would explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

mosstin wrote: »
    Just don't see it happening. Rodgers needs to buy someone who will pretty much guarantee him goals. Berahino isn't that player - seems more of a streak scoring striker than anything else. There's also the fact that the Baggies are reputedly asking for £20 million+ for him which is in itself insane but would FSG trust Rodgers/TC with that outlay given the return on our most recent investments?

Just our sort of transfer

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Just our sort of transfer

Don't see it this time. I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Don't see it this time. I hope.

I have my doubts why should it change now when its been the same old sh!t the last 15 years. Unless we change our approach towards signing players to "can he improve our first 11?" instead of average squad players then no its not changing this time.

January 2012 was an extremely lucky window, we took a gamble on Sturridge and Coutinho both signed as players with potential

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I have my doubts why should it change now when its been the same old sh!t the last 15 years. Unless we change our approach towards signing players to "can he improve our first 11?" then no its not changing.

It's **** or bust time in January for us. If Rodgers wants to keep his job he'll have to find a way of finding our scoring touch again. If that's the question, no way is Berahino the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we are to over pay for a player I much perfer we over paid for a player from another league who we could make some money back if it didn't work out.

Saying that Bony for £20m would be the best bet from the PL.

Why can't the club seem to look further afield

Gignac, Lacazette, Alcacer, Rodrigo, Heung-min to name just a few young promising forwards wing forwards who would suit the style we play at the moment from outside the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Isn't Bony off to the African nations?

That rules him out IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Gbear wrote: »
    I wonder how long before you start to see functionally playing without a keeper?

Bayern are nearly doing it at this stage given how much of the game Neuer seems happy to play outside his box.

We may as well give it a go. Sure, if we're always conceding from chances and only conceding a couple every game anyway what difference would it make?

It'd be gas to see it. Just the absolute melt-down. Sky Sports News would explode.

Well were playing without defenders all season, may as well try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

T-K-O wrote: »
    Isn't Bony off to the African nations?

That rules him out IMO

Yup, Swansea have brought in Nelson Oliveria on loan while Bony is away at the ACN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Paul McShane is available in January. The stars are aligning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Saying that Bony for £20m would be the best bet from the PL.

Perhaps a year ago but he's not costing that now. You pay a lot more than 20 million for the top premier league goal scorer of 2014. No way Swansea would let him go for 20 million.

Personally I don't think he would be worth the fee that he would command. Better business to be had elsewhere. Having said that you did waste 16 million on Balotelli which was a shocking bit of business so anything is possible. At least Bony would score occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Kirby wrote: »
    Perhaps a year ago but he's not costing that now. You pay a lot more than 20 million for the top premier league goal scorer of 2014. No way Swansea would let him go for 20 million.

Personally I don't think he would be worth the fee that he would command. Better business to be had elsewhere. Having said that you did waste 16 million on Balotelli which was a shocking bit of business so anything is possible. At least Bony would score occasionally.

Balotelli might gel with Sturridge as in the spurs game but would Bony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I want Lacazette!! We would help him for 20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is this gesture due to the season of goodwill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Should have been a target last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Really liking all of this Cech talk. could be the one for the next 5 years is Chelsea were daft enough to let him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Really liking all of this Cech talk. could be the one for the next 5 years is Chelsea were daft enough to let him go.
    from the BBC gossip page "Per Cech's agent has confirmed talks have taken place between the Chelsea goalkeeper, 32, and Real Madrid":confused:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Would Cech be able for playing behind a back 3 and a midfield that tends to wander a little. I do like Cech and I dont remember too many mistakes by him but He's always had a strong back 4 in front of him along with 2 DMs.

I'd also imagine at 32 he'll be looking for a decent wage and that doesn't really happen at Liverpool for new signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd also imagine at 32 he'll be looking for a decent wage and that doesn't really happen at Liverpool for new signings.

Which is a problem.

Taking into account the relatively low fee we could potentially get him for, there's no reason we couldn't offer him significant wages.

If Joe Allen can get £70k a week, a £2m signing of bonus & cost £15m, we can splash out a small fee & £150k per week on Cech surely?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Which is a problem.

Taking into account the relatively low fee we could potentially get him for, there's no reason we couldn't offer him significant wages.

If Joe Allen can get £70k a week, a £2m signing of bonus & cost £15m, we can splash out a small fee & £150k per week on Cech surely?!

What's Gerrard on? I doubt we will be signing anyone on 150k a week. Who's second highest after Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Which is a problem.

Yup and I don't see that policy changing anytime soon, unfortunately since Rodgers took over I think fsg have played the transfer dealings too cautiously.

I'm not a fan of allen but he kind of does a job but I'd be shocked if he's on 70k a week. The 2m bonus isn't too bad because it's only about 8k a week if he's on a 5 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I remember at one point last season Cech managed to concede 8 goals from 8 consecutive shots on target over a few weeks.

Still lengths ahead of anything we've got, would prefer us looking at a younger option though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hang on there, Chelsea wont sell him to us, and why would he want to join us? We can't offer him CL this season or probably next season, we won't offer him silly wages and there will be better offers coming in from other clubs.

Besides his best days are over, he peaked 2/3/4 years ago, there's a reason he's No.2 at Chelsea now.
    Having said all that he'd be a better option than what we have now that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Czech would be a fantastic signing, brendan needs to use his friendship with jose to make this happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Give Cech whatever he wants because with the 3 stooges of Johnson,Lovren and Skrtel in front of him he'll earn it.

Those 3 would make Neuer look like he has Parkinsons.

Johnson will be off and he's one of the highest earners.

I still think Chelsea wouldn't sell to us regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Johnson will be off and he's one of the highest earners.

I still think Chelsea wouldn't sell to us regardless.

I'd say you're right on Chelsea and I hope you're right on Johnson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Which is a problem.

Think of the wages we'll save if we bring in a young fella instead.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Think of the wages we'll save if we bring in a young fella instead.
    Isn't that part of the problem? Signing youth over experience.

I think that our transfer policy in the summer was because Anfield will be under construction for the next few years. Saving money by signing players with potential rather than strengthening with proven quality. The policy is the same as that at Arsenal while the Emirates stadium was under development. Arsenal are the model that FSG have admired in the past, it's not surprising when David Dein was an advisor when they were buying the club.

The team over achieved last season, everyone accepts that. Rather than take advantage of the position, the club persisted with existing plan they had in place. If you look at the language used to describe last season - the plan was to 'challenge for the top 4'. I think the challenge for the top four translates to if we didn't get a Champions League place they'd have been content with fifth. Rodgers said at one point that finishing second put us two years ahead of where they expected us to be. He didn't specify if that was challenging for the league or breaking into the top four - I suspect the latter. Two seasons is also the mid point of the Anfield redevelopment project - a coincidence?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but the summer transfer policy would support it. Linked with big name players and instead signed youth and potential. How many seasons did Arsenal supporters endure similar speculation and signings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

seasonal greetings to all the saps and the people who contribute good posts and the contrary ones.
    'twas almost our year.

Things from today's presser - Allen/Johnson out (good).
    Jones is a "wonderful professional with great hair." (half of this is true but you can judge which half)
    Moaned about the pitch some.
    Balotelli - high intensity and pressing "not really part of his game". I dunno - why do we indulge him then if he's not committed to working - he hasn't scored any PL goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Surely when you sign a player in this day and age you know what type of player they are and if they fit within your team and system ?

Surely when you sign a player in this day and age you know what type of player they are and if they fit within your team and system ?

Clear as day Balotelli, whatever he was, was never a worker. One of those poorly planned signings that was left until pretty late in the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Heskey signs for Bolton. WTF are FSG and Rodgers at.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Clear as day Balotelli, whatever he was, was never a worker. One of those poorly planned signings that was left until pretty late in the transfer window.

Spot on. Put Liverpool in the S**t. He's going to be hard shift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Happy christmas peeps. Hopefully Santa brings Rodgers a defensive coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

New Pitches next summer.
    "It's nothing to do with the ground staff," the boss said. "The ground staff at Melwood and Anfield are outstanding, they work tirelessly. They are just old pitches.

"Thankfully, we're getting them replaced here in the summer - we're getting a couple of brand new pitches here that I've asked for, which really help the speed of your game.

"We're also getting Anfield replaced in the summer as well. That will make a huge difference to the speed of our game. The ground staff are brilliant, it's no fault of theirs.

"It's just an old pitch that hasn't been upgraded. In terms of how we work and play, it can be a real disadvantage for us. I said that after the game against Arsenal, that the quality of the football and the level the players played at really showed their technique.

"It's sometimes difficult to play one-touch football on it because you're always unsure of the bounce and bobble.

"It's something that, as a club, we'll do the very best we can with, right through until the end of the season. The guys work tirelessly on it and do a great job of making it the best they possibly can."

• Advertisement

Things from today's presser - Allen/Johnson out (good).
    Jones is a "wonderful professional with great hair." (half of this is true but you can judge which half)
    Moaned about the pitch some.
    Balotelli - high intensity and pressing "not really part of his game". I dunno - why do we indulge him then if he's not committed to working - he hasn't scored any PL goals.

You missed the part where he alluded to there being no sign of Mignolet coming back in & said Jones has done very well since coming into the side :(

New Pitches next summer.

Am I the only one thinks the the emergence of this issue with the pitch is just another in a long line of really poor excuses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Excuses or not the pitches get old, they do need replacing at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The pitch had nothing to do with debuchy having a free header at the back post, or arsenal playing and finishing off a one two in our box untouched:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The pitch had nothing to do with debuchy having a free header at the back post, or arsenal playing and finishing off a one two in our box untouched:mad:

Skrtel was jumping from within a trench in the pitch though.

mcrettin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

^^^^
    The size of the pringe in the picture.:eek::P

Balotelli - high intensity and pressing "not really part of his game".
    Everyone knew this before he was signed, we also knew he couldn't play up front on his own. This point may have been made before - Balotelli is another square peg being fitted in a round hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Am I the only one thinks the the emergence of this issue with the pitch is just another in a long line of really poor excuses?

I'm sure the rest of the Rodgers out brigade will think the same, I mean yous will try and beat him with any stick you can find.

The pitch thing is the latest in a long line of whinging you've done about BR quotes.

I'm sure the rest of the Rodgers out brigade will think the same, I mean yous will try and beat him with any stick you can find.

The pitch thing is the latest in a long line of whinging you've done about BR quotes.

And this post above is the latest from you & your ilk trying to shut down any negative comments about Rodgers.

Put it like this, if Moyes started going on about the pitch stopping free flowing football while he was struggling at Utd, we'd all have broken our ****e laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

In fairness, Madrid didn't have any problem with the pitch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement