Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Rodgers mentioned the state of the pitch in an interview last season too.

Its not a new thing to beat him with ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Talisman wrote: »
    Isn't that part of the problem? Signing youth over experience.

I think that our transfer policy in the summer was because Anfield will be under construction for the next few years. Saving money by signing players with potential rather than strengthening with proven quality. The policy is the same as that at Arsenal while the Emirates stadium was under development. Arsenal are the model that FSG have admired in the past, it's not surprising when David Dein was an advisor when they were buying the club.

The team over achieved last season, everyone accepts that. Rather than take advantage of the position, the club persisted with existing plan they had in place. If you look at the language used to describe last season - the plan was to 'challenge for the top 4'. I think the challenge for the top four translates to if we didn't get a Champions League place they'd have been content with fifth. Rodgers said at one point that finishing second put us two years ahead of where they expected us to be. He didn't specify if that was challenging for the league or breaking into the top four - I suspect the latter. Two seasons is also the mid point of the Anfield redevelopment project - a coincidence?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but the summer transfer policy would support it. Linked with big name players and instead signed youth and potential. How many seasons did Arsenal supporters endure similar speculation and signings?

Interesting. If true then I have to admire the precision of FSG's mirroring of events at LFC, even hiring a manager who likes to coach a passing game but is not too bovvered with defensive unit coaching... a manager who inherits some defensive stalwarts and does not replace them adequately when they are finished (Keown / Carragher).
    The difference is that Wenger signed a host of Euro hotties for Arsenal, whereas Bren has focussed on Euro trash instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Let's not forget Arsenal were a solid top 4 team season in season out when the Emirates was under construction. Main fundamental difference which is massive from a financial side of things

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You missed the part where he alluded to there being no sign of Mignolet coming back in & said Jones has done very well since coming into the side :(

Hart and De Gea have had spells on the side-lines and have come back stronger and hungrier as a result. Jones is not the best keeper at the club but sometimes there could be a strategy behind a players absence, which is not obvious to us. Not obvious at all, not one bit... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

garra wrote: »
    Hart and De Gea have had spells on the side-lines and have come back stronger and hungrier as a result. Jones is not the best keeper at the club but sometimes there could be a strategy behind a players absence, which is not obvious to us. Not obvious at all, not one bit... :o

Strategy? :eek: Every game he plays in the PL is a 90 minute game of Russian roulette. He's completely incapable of playing at this level. What strategy involves the risk of shedding points every time he takes the field? He's a risk we don't need to be taking.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Strategy? :eek: Every game he plays in the PL is a 90 minute game of Russian roulette. He's completely incapable of playing at this level. What strategy involves the risk of shedding points every time he takes the field? He's a risk we don't need to be taking.

Taking Mignolet out of the firing line and building up his confidence and his ability on crosses, in the background. Russian roulette is a bit harsh, how many of our goals against can be blamed on Jones, compared to Mig's percentage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Let's not forget Arsenal were a solid top 4 team season in season out when the Emirates was under construction. Main fundamental difference which is massive from a financial side of things

FSG would gladly take 4th place every year whilst being on a budget (and thus milk the cash) as opposed to spending to compete with the very best. What really annoys arsenal fans would be like winning the lotto for FSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Taking Mignolet out of the firing line and building up his confidence and his ability on crosses, in the background. Russian roulette is a bit harsh, how many of our goals against can be blamed on Jones, compared to Mig's percentage?

Not entirely at fault but he;

Dived the wrong way for one against United.
    Ran the wrong way across his goal line for another.
    Scored with a brilliant throw into the net against Bournemouth.
    And decided not to bother attempting to stop the header against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And this post above is the latest from you & your ilk trying to shut down any negative comments about Rodgers.

Put it like this, if Moyes started going on about the pitch stopping free flowing football while he was struggling at Utd, we'd all have broken our ****e laughing.

There is no 'you and your ilk' when it concerns Pilsbury Doughboy, he is unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

anyway lads its Xmas eve. I'm stuck in work, so I can post, what are ye all at? Go out and buy some crap, thats not needed.

• Advertisement

FSG would gladly take 4th place every year whilst being on a budget (and thus milk the cash) as opposed to spending to compete with the very best. What really annoys arsenal fans would be like winning the lotto for FSG

Of course they would. They are businessmen not fans.

I'd gladly take a trophy over top 4 every few seasons if I had to make a choice.

Qualifying every season for the last 2 decades is great for Arsenal. Not even winning 1 of those is failure imo. The money men at clubs would obviously see it differently.

Would I trade one of our European cups for 20 years of knockout stages and quarter finals? Course not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    anyway lads its Xmas eve. I'm stuck in work, so I can post, what are ye all at? Go out and buy some crap, thats not needed.

I'm in work too. Same again tomorrow. All I want for Xmas is loads of goals at the business end of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Here's an interesting article on how bad Mignolet had become: BSports - Is criticism of Simon Mignolet fair?.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not entirely at fault but he;

Dived the wrong way for one against United.
    Ran the wrong way across his goal line for another.
    Scored with a brilliant throw into the net against Bournemouth.
    And decided not to bother attempting to stop the header against Arsenal.

Jones simply isn't up to it. Russian roulette is exactly what we're playing when he's in goals.

I'd be shocked if Jones doesnt make a howler in the next 5 games.

If I can get odds I'll stake a nice sum on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The thing with Brad Jones is that he's not yet made one save where I have said "that's a save". Yet we've conceded 6 goals in 3 games. Says it all for me. Mig made mistakes but he'd often come up with very good saves. He also looked like he'd turned around his form a bit after the Ludo game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's guaranteed too. I'm still baffled by the way he dives the wrong way before a shot is even taken.

The thing with Brad Jones is that he's not yet made one save where I have said "that's a save". Yet we've conceded 6 goals in 3 games. Says it all for me. Mig made mistakes but he'd often come up with very good saves. He also looked like he'd turned around his form a bit after the Ludo game.

I think United scored 3 goals from 4 shots and Arsenal, up till their 2nd goal at Anfield had had two shots on goal and scored with both that day. Now in mitigation our defence is also appalling but he's the worst first choice stopper I can remember us having in decades.

Your last sentence is the one that baffles me. He did look like he had improved and then he's dropped.

You'd wonder did something happen behind closed doors? When I heard dropped indefinitely it's what I thought first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I only post from work, someone has to pay me to put up with the LFC super thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Your last sentence is the one that baffles me. He did look like he had improved and then he's dropped.

You'd wonder did something happen behind closed doors? When I heard dropped indefinitely it's what I thought first.

I was thinking that as well. Maybe he made the mistake of talking to Borini?

OK ok you are all making good points but when you consider that Mignolet has only successfully claimed 10 crosses all season, you know that there is something fundamentally wrong with him, whether its his confidence or depth perception of the ball or whatever.
    In this case it could benefit us long term to get the problem sorted out and put up with more howlers in the mean time.

OK ok you are all making good points but when you consider that Mignolet has only successfully claimed 10 crosses all season, you know that there is something fundamentally wrong with him, whether its his confidence or depth perception of the ball or whatever.
    In this case it could benefit us long term to get the problem sorted out and put up with more howlers in the mean time.

Not too many are actually disagreeing with Mignolet being dropped.

It's dropping him for an incredibly limited backup keeper that's the problem.

When players play poorly they should be dropped but at least have an adequate backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

23) Joe Allen – 62 kg

22) Lazar Markovic – 65 kg

21) Alberto Moreno – 65 kg

20) Jordan henderson – 67 kg

19) Raheem Sterling – 69 kg

18) Glen Johnson – 70 kg

17) Coutinho – 71 kg

16) Fabio Borini – 73 kg

15) Adam Lallana – 83 kg

14) Lucas Leiva – 74 kg

13) Kolo Toure – 74 kg

12) Jose Enrique – 76 kg

11) Javier Manquillo – 76 kg

10) Daniel Sturridge – 76 kg

9) Bradley Jones – 76 kg

8) Rickie Lambert – 77 kg

7) Martin Skrtel – 81 kg

6) Steven Gerrard – 82 kg

5) Emre Can – 82 kg

4) Mamadou Sakho – 83 kg

3) Dejan Lovren – 84 kg

2) Simon Mignolet – 87 kg

1) Mario Balotelli – 88 kg

Henderson is lighter than Sterling?? :eek:

Coutinho 9 kgs on Allen & 4 on Hendo, sounds like BS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Size of Sterlings arse doe.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Coutinho 9 kgs on Allen & 4 on Hendo, sounds like BS

Apparently the weights are from the official website.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Size of Sterlings arse doe.

He's no Hulk tho. The footballer I mean. That lads arse has its own post code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mosstin wrote: »
    It's the hair, man.

He has beautiful hair.

Preperation for a major new sponsor for next year, Head and Shoulders above what we have had before:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe Mignolet asked the manager if there any chance he and the defenders could work with a defensive coach so they could get a working understanding of playing together and what to do on set pieces.

Maybe Mignolet asked the manager if there any chance he and the defenders could work with a defensive coach so they could get a working understanding of playing together and what to do on set pieces.

Or

Maybe he likes cornflakes and the manger doesn't. The prick

Or

No that's why Assaidi was never picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Or

That's what did for Borini.

Apparently the weights are from the official website.

Lambert 1 kg heavier than Sturridge, 9 lighter than Mario. I know its Xmas but come on ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You think a couple of weeks on the sidelines could sort out Mignolets shortcomings? When presumably decades of coaching & development haven't been able to? :confused:

• Advertisement

You think a couple of weeks on the sidelines could sort out Mignolets shortcomings? When presumably decades of coaching & development haven't been able to? :confused:

Do you think he couldn't improve his game?

Do you think he couldn't improve his game?

Nope, I think at his age & stage of his development there's very little improvement to be had imo.

Asked about signing Fernando Torres or Petr Cech
    "If there is a possibility that we can strengthen in January, we will look at that," Rodgers said.

"There will always be speculation, but I won't comment on any players."

On Jones.
    "Brad is in the team at the moment and has done well," Rodgers added. "He is consistent right the way through. You need your number two goalkeeper to be loyal and work well when he comes in."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

working too and on call 24/7 this week.... :(

Nope, I think at his age & stage of his development there's very little improvement to be had imo.

De Gea is only two years younger and has shown massive improvement very recently.

Simon is far from that level but IMO he can of course improve on
    1. Footwork
    2. Commanding the box

Not many GK's are great with the ball at their feet, many a GK would struggle playing our 'expansive game'

I'll say it now, We will not find a GK to solve both of those issues.

• Advertisement

Players are human, they lose form sometimes, happens to the best of us. If your voice lost its strength for a period would you write off your music career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

So who do we go with for the next few games, mig or Jones? I'd go back to Mig, Jones has looked shocking so far. I dont even think he has made on save since he came into the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Asked about signing Fernando Torres or Petr Cech

On Jones.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/fernando-torres-back-to-liverpool-rodgers-refuses-to-be-drawn-on-speculation-30861265.html

Also linked with a loan move for Adrien Rabiot from PSG for the remainder of the season.

Carra's all time Premiership 11: Schmeichel,Neville,Adams,Terry,Cole,Ronaldo,Gerrard,Keane,Giggs, Shearer,Henry.

Cant argue with the choices, 5 Utd players listed so you cant accuse him of bias I suppose

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jamie-carragher-has-picked-his-alltime-premier-league-11-30861552.html

Players are human, they lose form sometimes, happens to the best of us. If your voice lost its strength for a period would you write off your music career?

If I was 26 & I wasn't able to sing in key, I don't think its something I'd be able to get sorted over a few weeks :rolleyes:

This is not a loss of "form" from Mignolet, it's fundamental shortcomings in his game.

If I was 26 & I wasn't able to sing in key, I don't think its something I'd be able to get sorted over a few weeks :rolleyes:

This is not a loss of "form" from Mignolet, it's fundamental shortcomings in his game.

All together now.....

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪"Tis the season to be jolly...."¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

As I pointed out, De Gea a mere two years younger had those same flaws. To suggest a 26 year old, GK of all positions cannot improve is just plain wrong.

Who would you like to see in goal, (within reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Just catching up on here while waiting for the call to say the visitors have gone and the coast is clear :)
    Also been going through the house looking for stuff I can recycle as presents,
    "FSG thrifty style".

Have a good one all.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As I pointed out, De Gea a mere two years younger had those same flaws. To suggest a 26 year old, GK of all positions cannot improve is just plain wrong.

Who would you like to see in goal, (within reason)

He had those same flaws 2 or 3 years ago, not now when he is 24.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement