Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If I was 26 & I wasn't able to sing in key, I don't think its something I'd be able to get sorted over a few weeks :rolleyes:

This is not a loss of "form" from Mignolet, it's fundamental shortcomings in his game.

I would like to see a new keeper at the club and keep Mignolet as backup, but your original contention that the break from 1st team will not do him good is wrong imo.

How is the music going anyway? seein as its the season of goodwill i thought i'd ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

5starpool wrote: »
    He had those same flaws 2 or 3 years ago, not now when he is 24.

The point being, 26 is not too old to improve those aspects of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

T-K-O wrote: »

He has now been working with the same manager and coaches for 2.5 seasons and hasn't shown any signs of improving either that is down to the player or it is down to the manager and coaches.

If as you say the player can improve then is must be down to the coaching he is getting at the club.

He has now been working with the same manager and coaches for 2.5 seasons and hasn't shown any signs of improving either that is down to the player or it is down to the manager and coaches.

If as you say the player can improve then is must be down to the coaching he is getting at the club.

He's definitely better with the ball at his feet.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying, a 26 year old pup can improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

As I pointed out, De Gea a mere two years younger had those same flaws. To suggest a 26 year old, GK of all positions cannot improve is just plain wrong.

Who would you like to see in goal, (within reason)

The DDG comparison is very silly & not even accurate.

I'd like us to try everything possible to get Peter Cech.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know what point you were trying to make, but your example didn’t make it.

The DDG comparison is very silly & not even accurate.

I'd like us to try everything possible to get Peter Cech.

How so? Did he not make weekly errors just two seasons ago, was it not him dropping or not even trying to catch corners. Will De Gea stop improving at 25, or does all improvement cease at 26.

To suggest the man cannot improve is beyond silly, in fact it's ridiculous. Then again, anything other than your previous comments would not fit with the agenda.

Cech would be a solid signing, however I believe our style of play is a massive test even for Peter Cech.

5starpool wrote: »
    I know what point you were trying to make, but your example didn’t make it.

How old was Friedal when he established himself as a top GK? The list of GK's that improved into their late 20's early 30's is endless.

Our very own one man band Luis Suarez took his game to other level at the ripe old age of 26.

I'm not defending Mig or suggesting he's the answer long term but can he improve, absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Then why not go get Valdez? You wont find many better with their feet than him.

And he's cheaper than Cech. Okay, he hasn't played much because of injury recently but that doesn't really have the same effect on a keeper as it does an outfielder. 2 or 3 weeks of intensive training and he would be back to his best.

• Advertisement

He's definitely better with the ball at his feet.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying, a 26 year old pup can improve.

Not much if any better to be honest.

With the right coaching he and most of the defenders can improve a lot more even simiple things like who is calling the defenive plays and then they all follow.

We all have to get used to the fact that this manager doesn't believe in defending as a way of winning so blaming the goalkeepers and defenders for all the mistakes they make is wrong.

Individual mistakes are going to happen in every game as the players and keepers aren't drilled enough in what to do therefore they will make mistakes.

The more the same back 4/5 play together and are drilled together the less individual mistakes will happen.

These changes would show improvement alround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We should only have replaced Mig in the starting 11 once we got a competent number 2.

Rodgers is deluded if he thinks Jones is up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kirby wrote: »

Okay, he hasn't played much because of injury recently but that doesn't really have the same effect on a keeper as it does an outfielder. 2 or 3 weeks of intensive training and he would be back to his best.

I think if that was true he'd have been snapped up as a free agent months ago. There's obviously major doubts about him.

Then why not go get Valdez? You wont find many better with their feet than him.

And he's cheaper than Cech. Okay, he hasn't played much because of injury recently but that doesn't really have the same effect on a keeper as it does an outfielder. 2 or 3 weeks of intensive training and he would be back to his best.

Vertigo comes to mind when I think of Valdes and corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    We should only have replaced Mig in the starting 11 once we got a competent number 2.

I think he knows he's not up to it.

Rodger's is either

A) Taking Mignolet out of the firing line for a few weeks in the hope he improves significantly. Although Jones is a worse option, short term pain for long term gain could be the thinking.

B) He's sending a message to the owners/transfer committee or whoever ''get me a new goalkeeper in January, no excuses''

I would say B is more likely but both are poor people reasons because Jones is lol bad.

Not much if any better to be honest.

With the right coaching he and most of the defenders can improve a lot more even simiple things like who is calling the defenive plays and then they all follow.

We all have to get used to the fact that this manager doesn't believe in defending as a way of winning so blaming the goalkeepers and defenders for all the mistakes they make is wrong.

Individual mistakes are going to happen in every game as the players and keepers aren't drilled enough in what to do therefore they will make mistakes.

The more the same back 4/5 play together and are drilled together the less individual mistakes will happen.

These changes would show improvement alround.

But he improved all the same

I agree with the rest of your post, my take on Mignolet, his confidence is shot (like much of the squad) our style and particularly our back 4 do him no favours what so ever. He's constantly put under pressure dealing with stupid balls played back or defending V the opposition.

We could be doing more to relieve some of that pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SlickRic wrote: »

Does anyone think he actually believes Jones is up to it?

Something happened between them and he's too stubborn to back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

My view would be that the idea Mignolet has reached a ceiling and can't improve a number of aspects of his game goes completely against sports science, neuroscience and sports psychology. Saying that, I don't think there's a focused and measurable attempt to do so, and to do it in conjunction with training with the the back 3/4/5 as a unit. My gut feeling is a 'train harder' rather than a 'train cleverer' approach is in place which doesn't always work.

That said, I would still be much happier with Cech in goals.

I think it's pretty clear that Mignolet is now done at Liverpool. People pretending otherwise is cute.

I think it's pretty clear that Mignolet is now done at this stage. People pretending otherwise is cute.

That's a nice little debate you're having in your head.

I'm talking about a 26 year old GK improving.

SM01 wrote: »
    My view would be that the idea Mignolet has reached a ceiling and can't improve a number of aspects of his game goes completely against sports science, neuroscience and sports psychology. Saying that, I don't think there's a focused and measurable attempt to do so, and to do it in conjunction with training with the the back 3/4/5 as a unit. My gut feeling is a 'train harder' rather than a 'train cleverer' approach is in place which doesn't always work.

That said, I would still be much happier with Cech in goals.

Sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Rumours of resigning Torres. Would be an awful decision imo.

As unimpressive as our strikeforce is, I don't think he's an upgrade on any of our current options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was it just me or was Mignolet very good last season till that blunder v city where negredo took a shot straight at him and be just palmed it and it looped over him and in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Morzadec wrote: »
    Rumours of resigning Torres. Would be an awful decision imo.

As unimpressive as our strikeforce is, I don't think he's an upgrade on any of our current options
    The Indo article has him available at £10million:D.

Yup, that's gonna happen....

That's a nice little debate you're having in your head.

I'm talking about a 26 year old GK improving.

You're talking about something which won't be happening.

Why don't we give Lambert a few weeks off & fix all the things wrong with his game? Or Balotelli? :rolleyes:

Mignolet will be getting replaced at Liverpool. It's clear. Pretending his few weeks off is about helping him "develop" is kidding yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If he is done at Liverpool it's by the manager's design not because he is past it as was the case with Reina. There are a lot of positives about Mignolet and time for him to improve.

Would also give 'The Rodgers' more credibility if he took the same hardline approach to underperforming players whether they were his big money defender or team captain.

You're talking about something which won't be happening.

Why don't we give Lambert a few weeks off & fix all the things wrong with his game? Or Balotelli? :rolleyes:

Mignolet will be getting replaced at Liverpool. It's clear. Pretending his few weeks off is about helping him "develop" is kidding yourselves.

Are you drunk?

Won't / Can't are very different. I stated that a 26 year old GK can improve.

I'm not going to address those other players mentioned, you seem confused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Mignolet can improve, but he won't be improving his shot stopping or reflexes (which are good).

You can certainly improve handling/footwork/decision making of which there's lots of room to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

garra wrote: »
    Carra's all time Premiership 11: Schmeichel,Neville,Adams,Terry,Cole,Ronaldo,Gerrard,Keane,Giggs, Shearer,Henry.

Cant argue with the choices, 5 Utd players listed so you cant accuse him of bias I suppose

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jamie-carragher-has-picked-his-alltime-premier-league-11-30861552.html

Also, he was helped by the fact no Liverpool player apart from Gerrard ever played well enough for a long enough period.
    5live wrote: »
    The Indo article has him available at £10million:D.

Yup, that's gonna happen....

Not a hope. A only spend at least 20 million on a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Liverpool want to steal Cagliari's co-owned Radja Nainggolan from Roma for €15million. [Gazzetta]

Would be an immense signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I decided to get away from all the fighting and spend the afternoon watching Patton.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Liverpool want to steal Cagliari's co-owned Radja Nainggolan from Roma for €15million. [Gazzetta]

Would be an immense signing.

#BuyalltheBelgian's...except Mignolet who we already have and have dropped :D

I decided to get away from all the fighting and spend the afternoon watching Patton.

A man with good tactical awareness ;) What are you trying to say? :p

Oh Naiingolan would be incredible.

He's not exactly going to sit in front of the defence though is he? Isnt that one of the problems with Liverpool at the moment? Leaking goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would Liverpool want this fella? What does he do that needs doing?

Well he's quite a good player but you would need to convert him a little bit. He like's to get forward and loves a shot....a lot like Toni Kroos so it's possible Rodgers could play him deeper the way Ancelotti does with Kroos...........

He'd do a better job than Gerrard and knows how to play the position unlike Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jebus crisp please not Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He's not exactly going to sit in front of the defence though is he? Isnt that one of the problems with Liverpool at the moment? Leaking goals?
    He's more of a box to box midfielder. Ive seen him alot & he is an exceptional CM. A great athlete & very good on the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

When I read that first, I thought it said 'Platoon'. Which would have been a strange way to get away from the fighting of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Can't see Torres coming back to Liverpool. He'll be bound for Athletico where they still love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Can't see Torres coming back to Liverpool. He'll be bound for Athletico where they still love him.

Loan swap with Cerci supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It's interesting that Rodgers refers to Jones as the "number 2" keeper, if there was no way back for Mignolet then I don't think he would have use those particular words. It's still crazy to drop the first choice when there is still such a gulf between Mig and Jones, if Rodgers felt that Mig needed a kick up the arse then he should have held off until the Burnley game (or done it earlier of course). In any case, it was poor planning to not have adequate back up, Mig or anyone else could pick up a season-ending injury at anytime and we'd be up the creek.

When Joe Hart was dropped last season over his poor form, it didn't do him any harm, so hopefully Mig can sort himself out. The players in front of him have as many, if not more, questions to answer about our goals conceded over the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Wasnt Hart on the way out of City last year, got a rest for a few games and came back stronger than before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Wasnt Hart on the way out of City last year, got a rest for a few games and came back stronger than before

Hart's baseline game is way above Mignolet's. Hart is commanding, he'd lost confidence in his ability for a while and needed the kick up the ass he got from being benched. Mig doesn't seem to have that same competitive spirit. Hart gives the impression he belongs playing with the PL champions, Mig just looks lost out there for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Happy Christmas ya filthy animals! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Happy Christmas ya filthy animals! :)

Many happy returns :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Remember lads, next year is our year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

something about andy carroll and louie suarez

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement