Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

both barca and madrids defence is very suspect, does not stop the midfield and attack winning them titles .. we were the same last year .. we just have not fit good strikers

Barcelona and Madrid have conceded just 20 goals between them thus far this season over the course of 31 combined games. We've conceded 24 goals in 17 league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

both barca and madrids defence is very suspect, does not stop the midfield and attack winning them titles .. we were the same last year .. we just have not fit good strikers
    Madrids is defence is very good. Varane isn't even a regular starter. Barca's despite there stats is shaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Rodgers ' attitude towards the defence is: throw a few players together with no organisation and hope they can limit the damage enough. if they don't, he goes out and buys another raft of defenders. it's not good enough. top teams are all built on a solid defence. the fact that we scored over 100 goals last year and still didn't manage to win the league says alot.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Madrids is defence is very good. Varane isn't even a regular starter. Barca's despite there stats is shaky.

Some good coaching to turn them around. Ancelotti is such a great manager. Pepe has barely been booked this year!!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Rodgers ' attitude towards the defence is: throw a few players together with no organisation and hope they can limit the damage enough. if they don't, he goes out and buys another raft of defenders. it's not good enough. top teams are all built on a solid defence. the fact that we scored over 100 goals last year and still didn't manage to win the league says alot.

Correct. And he'll be sacked from the job because of it eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »

We have the player keeping Varane at times out or partnering him in the French National team but to most he is considered a joke.

The manager doesn't seem to rate him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Correct. And he'll be sacked from the job because of it eventually.

He will and he'll have nobody to blame but himself.

He will and he'll have nobody to blame but himself.

Cough...Transfer Committee...Cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

BMJD wrote: »
    Just download the cast extention to chrome, when you're watching your filthy illegal stream just click on the cast button and it will be on TV. Then go full screen.

Thank you kind sir. You are nothing like your liverpool-supporting comrades 😄

He'll probably try to blame them but I think we can all see through that at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He'll probably try to blame them but I think we can all see through that at this stage.

Did I hear last week that a member of the transfer committee is actually a mathematician. Specifically to assess a players pass rates etc..?

Did I hear last week that a member of the transfer committee is actually a mathematician. Specifically to assess a players pass rates etc..?

Glen Johnson is on the transfer committee?

That explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Cough.....Groundsman....Cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cough cough phlegm cough cough chest infection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Yep, it's all based on the similar situation with the Red Sox when they took over, as seen in the film Moneyball, it's loosely based on real events, i guess they tried to do the same thing at LFC.

Someone needs to tell them football does'nt work that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yep, it's all based on the similar situation with the Red Sox when they took over, as seen in the film Moneyball, it's loosely based on real events, i guess they tried to do the same thing at LFC.

Someone needs to tell them football does'nt work that way...
    I'm sick of these yanks and their moneyball ****e. All I want for Xmas is a big Arab sugar daddy to buy the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

homolumo wrote: »
    Indeed. Hindsight is great and most of us felt Mario was worth a risk but these comments from BR make him look stupid.

Serious errors of judgement in transfer dealings,going right back to the end of Dalglish's first period in charge,has been the prime reason for the decline from what was once a championship winning club to virtual perennial also-rans.

£300m for transfers given to 2 managers in 4 seasons... That is not "Moneyball"

Unchanged for the first time this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ojo on the bench, good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

£300m for transfers given to 2 managers in 4 seasons... That is not "Moneyball"

When the owners arrived I remember them trying to say value for money over moneyball.

They remind me of an Irish dad refusing to pay the going rate for quality. Always looking for a bargain.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ricero wrote: »
    I'm sick of these yanks and their moneyball ****e. All I want for Xmas is a big Arab sugar daddy to buy the club

Ah now, don't go overboard. If we could spend the money we have better I'd be delighted with that. A sugardaddy these days aren't what they used to be with FFP, but even aside from that I'm not in favour of Liverpool being taken over as a fantasy football experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    Ah now, don't go overboard. If we could spend the money we have better I'd be delighted with that. A sugardaddy these days aren't what they used to be with FFP, but even aside from that I'm not in favour of Liverpool being taken over as a fantasy football experiment.

Somewhere in between would be nice.

When the owners arrived I remember them trying to say value for money over moneyball.

They remind me of an Irish dad refusing to pay the going rate for quality. Always looking for a bargain.

You give Jose, Luis, Pep, Carlos etc etc £300m to spend in 4 seasons they will be buying quality for that.

We bought 35 players for £324m in 4 seasons maybe 2 of them could be deemed quality.( 1 is gone and the other can't keep fit.)

I feel sorry for FSG to be honest they have flashed the cash for players and the stadium but have been let down by the people they hired to run the playing side of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You give Jose, Luis, Pep, Carlos etc etc £300m to spend in 4 seasons they will be buying quality for that.

We bought 35 players for £324m in 4 seasons maybe 2 of them could be deemed quality.( 1 is gone and the other can't keep fit.)

I feel sorry for FSG to be honest they have flashed the cash for players and the stadium but have been let down by the people they hired to run the playing side of the club.

You feel sorry for FSG because their signings - Rodgers - isn't playing up to scratch in your view but have nothing but criticism for Rodgers whose signings aren't up to scratch.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You feel sorry for FSG because their signings - Rodgers - isn't playing up to scratch in your view but have nothing but criticism for Rodgers whose signings aren't up to scratch.

Rodgers is supposed to know about football and be the future of modern management of course I am critical of him.

They hired the wrong man twice in a sport they didn't understand yes i do feel sorry for them.

They have backed both fully and neither was/is up to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

These people they hired have been subject to a stupid moneyball policy and wage caps by FSG in shopping for players which has meant we have been limited in the type of player we shud be buying, we have been either shopping in the bargain basement or taking huge risks potential and throwing outrageous sums of money at overperforming players at midtable clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

can anyone DM me a good watery way to view this

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    These people they hired have been subject to a stupid moneyball policy and wage caps by FSG in shopping for players which has meant we have been limited in the type of player we shud be buying, we have been either shopping in the bargain basement or taking huge risks potential and throwing outrageous sums of money at overperforming players at midtable clubs

Spending £300m on players is not Moneyball.

Sturridge, Coutinho are really the only 2 Moneyball players the club has bought.

Having a wage structure is needed I agree with that. Not a wage cap.

Pay the players what they are worth when they sign a contract and if they improve their wages improve along with it. I am pretty sure John W said that

Throwing outrageous sums of money at overperforming players at midtable clubs is stupid whoever wanted them manager or transfer committee.

Yesil, Teixeira, Alberto, Ilori, Can & Origi are calculated risks that may or may not pay off.

The rest of the signings have been a let down price wise and playing wise but most aren't bad players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Jordan Ibe goal for Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Sakho has his detractors but looks far better and more composed than Lovren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Brad Jones out.

Boy things really just go from bad to... slightly less bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

who is this mingolet lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not watching the game but looking at twitter it sounds like its another disastrous day at the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then, bleugh.

He could play Can but chose Gerrard
    He could play Manquillo as a wing back but chose Henderson
    He could play two up but plays Sterling as a lone striker

• Advertisement

Utter utter shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hard viewing so far but we are still level lads. Heads up and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Tick Tock time is running out for BR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Moneyball and the likes is to an extent giving an excuse.
    Just because FSG wont sanction the wages to fund the likes of a Falcao doesnt mean they couldn't have bought better than they did.
    There's a level between what the likes of Chelsea, Man City & utd can offer to attract players and what Liverpool have gone for.
    Needs smarter shopping preceded by better scouting.

Tick Tock time is running out for BR

Moyes is in the crowd :eek: Tick tock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good away with that one like a bungling gang of thieves in the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Happy Sterlings Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

We go again.

Any news why Taore came off? Tactical change? Was glad with Sakho and Can but Skittles still gives me the odd heart attack.

Sterling is basically all we have up front. Not fair on the lad...he needs decent support.

Thought that Mario would have come on instead of Rickie but other than that another 3 points and another clean sheet. I'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The Balotelli signing is really annoying me now. I thought for the money it was decent business and he could offer something but if you didn't really want him, why bother.

Genuinely a pointless signing when you say he needs to adapt and you don't play him. That's 16 million that could have been used some other time.

tok9 wrote: »
    The Balotelli signing is really annoying me now. I thought for the money it was decent business and he could offer something but if you didn't really want him, why bother.

Genuinely a pointless signing when you say he needs to adapt and you don't play him. That's 16 million that could have been used some other time.

I think he is better than Lambert...right now our best option up front so I can't understand it either. Then again there is something BR knows that we don't and maybe he is trying to teach Mario one of his now famous lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

When doing the Anfield pitch during the summer it might be an idea to move the byline at each end back a couple of feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I know many would disagree but that new system isn't great and certainly doesn't get the best out of the players available.

Henderson at RWB is useless. Offers nothing and really is holding him back from his natural game.
    Markovic at LWB. Whats the point? He's doing a good job but cant defend and blunts his ability to go forward as he has defensive dutys also.
    The 3 CBs dont really work and get too compact when ran at leaving spaces to get in behind, especially on the counter when the wing backs cant cover the ground to get back.
    Lucas and Gerrard sit too deep, for this formation to work you need runners from the midfield in support of the attacking players, neither have the legs for it and wont/cant try to alternate. Coutinho and Lallana were meant to provide that today but all that happened was Coutinho/Lallana got isolated with only one ball on in the forward position with Sterling. Its no surprise that when we made a change we looked far better in the second half.

Good 3 points but awful display. Also, we need a GK badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

NukaCola wrote: »
    I know many would disagree but that new system isn't great and certainly doesn't get the best out of the players available.

Henderson at RWB is useless. Offers nothing and really is holding him back from his natural game.
    Markovic at LWB. Whats the point? He's doing a good job but cant defend and blunts his ability to go forward as he has defensive dutys also.
    The 3 CBs dont really work and get too compact when ran at leaving spaces to get in behind, especially on the counter when the wing backs cant cover the ground to get back.
    Lucas and Gerrard sit too deep, for this formation to work you need runners from the midfield in support of the attacking players, neither have the legs for it and wont/cant try to alternate. Coutinho and Lallana were meant to provide that today but all that happened was Coutinho/Lallana got isolated with only one ball on in the forward position with Sterling. Its no surprise that when we made a change we looked far better in the second half.

Good 3 points but awful display. Also, we need a GK badly.

Baffling that Moreno isnt playing wing back, better going forward than he is in defence (although obviously defending is more natural to him then it is to Markovic).

I still think the manager has lost the plot, and playing bizarre formations and players out of position (square pegs in round holes) is usually the act of a man who is nearing the exit door.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement