Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    I know many would disagree but that new system isn't great and certainly doesn't get the best out of the players available.

Henderson at RWB is useless. Offers nothing and really is holding him back from his natural game.
    Markovic at LWB. Whats the point? He's doing a good job but cant defend and blunts his ability to go forward as he has defensive dutys also.
    The 3 CBs dont really work and get too compact when ran at leaving spaces to get in behind, especially on the counter when the wing backs cant cover the ground to get back.
    Lucas and Gerrard sit too deep, for this formation to work you need runners from the midfield in support of the attacking players, neither have the legs for it and wont/cant try to alternate. Coutinho and Lallana were meant to provide that today but all that happened was Coutinho/Lallana got isolated with only one ball on in the forward position with Sterling. Its no surprise that when we made a change we looked far better in the second half.

Good 3 points but awful display. Also, we need a GK badly.

When Rodgers took over he seemed to have a vision of how he wanted us to play and who'd play where. The longer our struggles have gone on, the more mystifying his team selections are. Some very strange positional selections today but, for now at least, can't argue with 3 points.
    6 points vs Swansea and Leicester a must now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I know many would disagree but that new system isn't great and certainly doesn't get the best out of the players available.

Henderson at RWB is useless. Offers nothing and really is holding him back from his natural game.
    Markovic at LWB. Whats the point? He's doing a good job but cant defend and blunts his ability to go forward as he has defensive dutys also.
    The 3 CBs dont really work and get too compact when ran at leaving spaces to get in behind, especially on the counter when the wing backs cant cover the ground to get back.
    Lucas and Gerrard sit too deep, for this formation to work you need runners from the midfield in support of the attacking players, neither have the legs for it and wont/cant try to alternate. Coutinho and Lallana were meant to provide that today but all that happened was Coutinho/Lallana got isolated with only one ball on in the forward position with Sterling. Its no surprise that when we made a change we looked far better in the second half.

Good 3 points but awful display. Also, we need a GK badly.

The system would probably suit Johnson the best if he was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Allen injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is Allen injured?

Yep, although no official word from the club what happened and how long hes out for. Cant say hes been missed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    When doing the Anfield pitch during the summer it might be an idea to move the byline at each end back a couple of feet.

This will happen if the Anfield Road expansion goes ahead, but not before. The pitch at the minute is smaller than the minimum needed to host a European final. The pitch size can't change before then though as there is no room for it. The nets go to the hoardings as it is.

5starpool wrote: »
    This will happen if the Anfield Road expansion goes ahead, but not before. The pitch at the minute is smaller than the minimum needed to host a European final. The pitch size can't change before then though as there is no room for it. The nets go to the hoardings as it is.

Think it was in reference to Migs brainfart today?

Poyet asked about possibly signing Borini in January - says it would be difficult. I don't get why it should be difficult other than Borini refusing to leave - clear as day he won't be in contention for a starting place under Rodgers and surely he wants to start PL games.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Think it was in reference to Migs brainfart today?

I figured it was in reference to something but my stream was acting the twat for sections of the second half and that was one incident I missed. I figured I'd answer it as if it were a genuine question anyhow, not that Turtyturd ever posts anything serious!

mosstin wrote: »
    Poyet asked about possibly signing Borini in January - says it would be difficult. I don't get why it should be difficult other than Borini refusing to leave - clear as day he won't be in contention for a starting place under Rodgers and surely he wants to start PL games.

He may look at like this he is settled in Liverpool with his girlfriend and on a good wage and if results stay the same a new manager could be in at the end of the season. Why not wait it out and see what happens.

Maybe then he will get a nice move back home to Italy or a chance at Liverpool under a new manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He may look at like this he is settled in Liverpool with his girlfriend and on a good wage and if results stay the same a new manager could be in at the end of the season. Why not wait it out and see what happens.

Maybe then he will get a nice move back home to Italy or a chance at Liverpool under a new manager.

That's a depressing perspective for a 23 year old footballer were that the case. I think he'll go - popular on Wearside, scored goals there and not a sniff of a chance under the current regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Borini's not good enough and cant be relied upon. I respect his decision to stay and fight for his place and applaud it even, but if an offer comes in again and he stays then he's either an idiot to think he'll get to play or happy to see out his contract and take his money.

Either way his career will stagnate if he stays. I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    I figured it was in reference to something but my stream was acting the twat for sections of the second half and that was one incident I missed. I figured I'd answer it as if it were a genuine question anyhow, not that Turtyturd ever posts anything serious!

Almost certain someone made me post seriously once. Anyway apologies I just assume everyone knows I am p*ssing about and don't expect the regulars to be caught out by it.

Has anyone got a vine of the incident?

BR "Massive 3 points and great performance in terms of resilience and character"

I know its scripted stuff really but I wish he'd give stuff like that a rest. Something like "good to get 3 points away from home and we'll look to build on that". Respectful to both Burley, who played well and deserved something, and the fans after a poor performance while saying we are trying to improve on this awful display without being OTT in praise. Normally stuff like that doesn't annoy me but his pressers lately are starting to grate a bit.

Also don't have any issues with Borini looking to stay. Clubs use players up and throw them out when it suits, or deny them moves all the time, have to allow for players to turn the tables.

• Advertisement

BR "Massive 3 points and great performance in terms of resilience and character"

I know its scripted stuff really but I wish he'd give stuff like that a rest. Something like "good to get 3 points away from home and we'll look to build on that". Respectful to both Burley, who played well and deserved something, and the fans after a poor performance while saying we are trying to improve on this awful display. Normally stuff like that doesn't annoy me but his pressers lately are starting to grate a bit.

You need to listen again to the presser, he was nothing but respectful to Burnley, it was a amassive 3 points as we all know. Great performance in terms of resilience and character is effectively saying the team played sh1t but came away with the 3 points imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

cheeky bid for Heskey? in scoring form

Keep your cheeky bits to yourself.

It did say bits, he edited it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I know its scripted stuff really but I wish he'd give stuff like that a rest. Something like "good to get 3 points away from home and we'll look to build on that". Respectful to both Burley, who played well and deserved something, and the fans after a poor performance while saying we are trying to improve on this awful display. Normally stuff like that doesn't annoy me but his pressers lately are starting to grate a bit.

It really doesn't bother me at all. They're only words. Journalists have to fill a certain amount of words for the paper tomorrow and that is it. If he decides he wants to approach it from the point of saying where he wants the team to think of themselves then fine. Dress for the job you want and all that.

As fans I think we should only every judge what happens on the pitch unless he brings down the standards of the club like a previous manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Real pity about Sanchez. Without him Arsenal would probably be roughly where we are at the moment and we'd probably be where they are.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Poyet asked about possibly signing Borini in January - says it would be difficult. .....

Positive that they might bit anyway, presumably they'll drop the offer a tad to £10m or so. Borini mightn't fancy it of course but if he wants to play it's a no brainer for him.

If he's banking on Rodgers getting walking papers and the successor playing him he's a fruitcake imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Emre Can should start all games unless injured.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Has anyone got a vine of the incident?

In half it's glory.

https://vine.co/v/OHHmJiKm69n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

This scatter-gun approach to picking formations, players and substitutions is crazy. I cannot remember the last time Gerrard and Lucas have looked good in midfield together, and even playing with 7 or 8 midfielders in the team there is no control in midfield. Rodgers seems to be trying to fit players he likes into the team instead of the best players for the positions.

Real pity about Sanchez. Without him Arsenal would probably be roughly where we are at the moment and we'd probably be where they are.

Absolutely superb player. Would have been a perfect signing. Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Don't know how to link to a tweet, however Graeme Kelly (a reasonably trusted tweeter on LFC matters) posted the following:

Only big news is that #FSG & #LFC 100% spoke to DeBoer and his people recently. Look for him mentioning us loads I'm next few months! #LFC

Ignoring the matter of twitter being such a divisive medium and it can be difficult separating the wheat and chaff, what are the thoughts on DeBoer?

Augeo wrote: »
    You need to listen again to the presser, he was nothing but respectful to Burnley, it was a amassive 3 points as we all know. Great performance in terms of resilience and character is effectively saying the team played sh1t but came away with the 3 points imo.

OTT as usual from BR. Great performance in terms of nothing. Nothing was great apart from a 19 year old saving us with a totally undeserved goal tbh. Resilience and character? I seen neither in that performance. A better team would have us beat at half time lets be honest, in terms of character no-one deserves to hold there head high bar Sterling who scored.

Getting tired of his OTT comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

OTT as usual from BR. Great performance in terms of nothing. Nothing was great apart from a 19 year old saving us with a totally undeserved goal tbh. Resilience and character? I seen neither in that performance. A better team would have us beat at half time lets be honest, in terms of character no-one deserves to hold there head high bar Sterling who scored.

Exactly.

Granted they're only to the media & not to be taken as 100% genuine, but it really does appear that he's believing what he is saying. The team actually seem to believe it too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sakho looked good. He looks as if everything is awkward and panicky but he actually a very good passer of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

mav79 wrote: »
    This scatter-gun approach to picking formations, players and substitutions is crazy. I cannot remember the last time Gerrard and Lucas have looked good in midfield together, and even playing with 7 or 8 midfielders in the team there is no control in midfield. Rodgers seems to be trying to fit players he likes into the team instead of the best players for the positions.

This is why i don't have a whole lot of faith in rodgers at the moment, his team selections and formations have been poor. For a few games the 343 worked but when you break it down its
    -a rw/rf (markovic) playing as a left wing back.
    -a centre mid playing right wing back
    We also have moreno and manquillo who could easily play those positions
    -gerrard and lucas playing a 2 man midfield, which hasn't worked in years. Theres other things obviously.

Theres a few players who have no business being starters lately yet they seem to be guaranteed starters no matter what. Like you say he is sticking to his favourites which will be his downfall.

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »
    Don't know how to link to a tweet, however Graeme Kelly (a reasonably trusted tweeter on LFC matters) posted the following:

Only big news is that #FSG & #LFC 100% spoke to DeBoer and his people recently. Look for him mentioning us loads I'm next few months! #LFC

Ignoring the matter of twitter being such a divisive medium and it can be difficult separating the wheat and chaff, what are the thoughts on DeBoer?

If his team was to include Overmars as DoF and Bergkamp as his number 2 that would be impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2 points ahead with a game in hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Raheem is finally out of his teens :)

Just glad we picked up 3 points, played better last 2 games and got 1 point.
    Away wins in the premier league are always welcome regardless of the opposition.
    Tough game next Monday, struggled to win that fixture last year even when we were flying.

If his team was to include Overmars as DoF and Bergkamp as his number 2 that would be impressive.

Those sirens in the background are the Arsenal thread going into meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Rodgers was to go. De Boer would be a great apointment imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What is it that Overmars has done as Director of Football at Ajax that makes you think such an appointment at Liverpool would be impressive?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

At the start of the season Manquillo and Moreno especially looked like they would play better as wing backs than full backs in a flat 4, Moreno's impressive forward acceleration in mind.

Now LFC are playing with a system that utilises wingbacks and there's a winger and a CM playing in those wing back positions. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

marno21 wrote: »
    At the start of the season Manquillo and Moreno especially looked like they would play better as wing backs than full backs in a flat 4, Moreno's impressive forward acceleration in mind.

Now LFC are playing with a system that utilises wingbacks and there's a winger and a CM playing in those wing back positions. :confused:

We played very well against Arsenal and Bournemouth with the same system and a similar team. In those two games and against United we have been more creative and dangerous going forward than at any other points this season. Why would the manager not go with the same formation today. Granted, it sounds like it didn't work well (didn't see the game), but it's easy to sound like a genius after the game. The fact is that Henderson and Markovic as wing backs hadn't been any worse (and was arguably working better) than any of the other fullback combinations we have seen this season.

What is it that Overmars has done as Director of Football at Ajax that makes you think such an appointment at Liverpool would be impressive?

There is couple of things with Overmars as a DoF does one is his name and the reach that name gets in opening doors around Europe something Liverpool don't have at the moment.

If Overmars turns up at Barcelona in the summer to talk with Sanchez about a move to Liverpool it opens the eyes of a lot of the other players there as well.

There will then be a connection to one of the best underage academies in world football.

De Boer, Bergkamp & Overmars as a team is impressive group to bring to any club when they decide to leave...it's worked well in Holland for them over the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wins a win I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There is couple of things with Overmars as a DoF does one is his name and the reach that name gets in opening doors around Europe something Liverpool don't have at the moment.

If Overmars turns up at Barcelona in the summer to talk with Sanchez about a move to Liverpool it opens the eyes of a lot of the other players there as well.

There will then be a connection to one of the best underage academies in world football.

De Boer, Bergkamp & Overmars as a team is impressive group to bring to any club when they decide to leave...it's worked well in Holland for them over the last few seasons.

I do think our transfer activity has been somewhat restricted by the lack of a big name from the football world involved on our side.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I do think our transfer activity has been somewhat restricted by the lack of a big name from the football world involved on our side.

Rodgers turned down Van Gaal as his DoF because he wanted full control which was fair enough but to end up with the mess we are in now is just so frustrating.

Edit: Now for him to lay the blame on a committee after turning down Van Gaal and wanting full control over transfers is even more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Rodgers turned down Van Gaal as his DoF because he wanted full control which was fair enough but to end up with the mess we are in now is just so frustrating.

Well Van Gaal would want to be in total control as well...I imagine that it would be a battle to the death between those two if he came to the club.

If the below is true I can't see a goalkeeper lined up in January.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he will consider moving into the emergency loan market to bring in a goalkeeper if Brad Jones is ruled out for a significant period of time, report the Daily Star, after the Australian limped out of the Boxing Day victory at Burnley with a thigh problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If the below is true I can't see a goalkeeper lined up in January.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he will consider moving into the emergency loan market to bring in a goalkeeper if Brad Jones is ruled out for a significant period of time, report the Daily Star, after the Australian limped out of the Boxing Day victory at Burnley with a thigh problem.

Perhaps trying to play it down so that not every team will add a few million if we come sniffing?

• Advertisement

We played very well against Arsenal and Bournemouth with the same system and a similar team. In those two games and against United we have been more creative and dangerous going forward than at any other points this season. Why would the manager not go with the same formation today. Granted, it sounds like it didn't work well (didn't see the game), but it's easy to sound like a genius after the game. The fact is that Henderson and Markovic as wing backs hadn't been any worse (and was arguably working better) than any of the other fullback combinations we have seen this season.

Henderson and Markovic are barely passable as wing backs. I cant think of one situation where Henderson looked threatening in an advanced role on the wing or confident defending at RB. Markovic looks more capable in attack but useless in defence.

These are the same problems in each game we played in. Henderson is a CM, using him as a RWB is ridiculous. Markovic is just a body in defence, cant tackle, no strength and zero defensive awareness, its almost madness to play him at LWB. Some parts of the new system worked well and other parts like the WB's we have been getting away with.

Moreno and Johnson would work much much better although obviously one isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Anyone remember when we signed Paul Jones on an emergency loan, think he did well if i recall. It was Paul Jones wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The league doesn't regard bad keepers as an emergency!

Jordon Ibe

Viktor Fagerström @ViktorFagerLFC · 3h3 hours ago

Jordon Ibe has 5 goals & 1 assist in 11 starts for Derby in the Championship. 87.3% pass success. 966 minutes played. Avg 43min/game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Anyone remember when we signed Paul Jones on an emergency loan, think he did well if i recall. It was Paul Jones wasn't it?

Another Southampton job ;) better than some recent mind you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ManOnFire wrote: »

If he was a small fella with longish hair i dont think it was 'jones' . Paul somebody but i may be mixing it up totally

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement