Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Seamu$ wrote: »
    So, does anyone think we'll buy a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder and a striker and sell either or both of Balotelli & Borini in Jan? I haven't seen any links with DMs so presume that bit is unlikely to happen.

We don't need a DM, Lucas is more than sufficient in that role.

I'd put in a bid for Benteke, Bony or Harry Kane.

Oh and a keeper, Friedel would suffice until the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

The level they are at is the level they have been at for the last 5 or 6 years with the exception of last seasons Suarez flavoured blip, I dunno how its so surprising tbh.

Ye arent a "big" team anymore. United overtook ye in the 90s, then the Gunners, then Chelsea, then City. Over the last 20 years how many genuinely world class players have chosen LFC over another big club? Torres is the only one that I can think of. Big clubs sign big players, LFC simply do not have the pulling power anymore.

Unless they are taken over by a billionaire that is happy to throw money at the club a la City or Chelsea, LFC will continue to flounder and scrap it out in the hope of getting a Champions League place.
    That's really depressing, isn't it?

Fans from other clubs will say that we aren't a big team anymore, we are where we deserve to be and we can't attract the big players. But that is bollix tbh.

We are Liverpool Football Club ffs, the level we are at now is unbecoming of our great club and it needs to change fast.

We were absolutely poxy yesterday but we won, and that's all I want at this moment, wins. **** the philosophy Brendan, it doesn't work. Send them out to dog out the wins.

Brendan Rodgers Dogs of War is what I want right now.

It genuinely didn't take as long as I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A striker and a GK is needed. Will Rodgers get the funds?

NukaCola wrote: »

Would you give him them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I think its not simply about him getting the funds, the main question is can he use those funds wisely to improve the team?

Would you give him them?

I suppose if I hired him and a group of people and gave them approx 200m to spend I'd be wondering why we haven't got them in place.

Does he deserve more money? No. Does he need more money? Yes.

Ultimately I would get a striker and GK if I were the owners, at that point there are no more excuses.

2qsp35d.jpg

Emile Huskey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Emile Huskey

pwnt.gif

I suppose if I hired him and a group of people and gave them approx 200m to spend I'd be wondering why we haven't got them in place.

Does he deserve more money? No. Does he need more money? Yes.

Ultimately I would get a striker and GK if I were the owners, at that point there are no more excuses.

I hope they give him the money, but if he gets it wrong (which his record suggests he will tbh) then that's the end of that chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Aurelio would be savage in the LWB position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you think debating what world class was ****ing stupid lets have a go at defining what a big club is.

IMO part of what makes a "big" club is a club that has alot of financial clout, can attract big name players and can do so on a sustained level, Munich, Barca, Real and United would be what I would consider to be prime examples of what a big club is. LFC were, again, in my opinion, a big club up to the 90's and barring the CL win, the year they won the 4 or 5 trophies (01 iirc) and the near miss last year, they have been in the main bit part players. I certainly dont consider them a small club, far from it, but they are a ways away from the aforementioned clubs, imo.

World class on the other hand is more difficult to define as it can change pretty quickly. Juan Veron for example was world class when he joined United but was in the main anonymous after that. Suarez was not particularly awe inspiring prior to joining LFC but turned into a footballing machine. From what Ive seen of him to date at Barca he hasnt been particularly special but of course it would be near impossible for anyone to shine in a team led by Messi.
    It genuinely didn't take as long as I thought.

Welcome to the internet.

Welcome to boards.

Its a place where people can make statements and other people can choose to agree or disagree with them if they see fit.

It really is great.

I suggest if you don't like people replying to what you say that you talk to yourself in a mirror, it will save you alot of headaches in the long run.

Anyway, thats my opinion, agree or disagree, it ultimately doesn't mean anything, to quote an oft used turn of phrase, opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday season everyone.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Suarez was great before he joined Liverpool. I'd almost say his level dropped the first year and a half he was there, well his finishing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Aurelio would be savage in the LWB position.

Are you drunk? Aurelio is 35 now and retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Given our recent baffling team selection it's likely he meant to type 'Aguero'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Rodgers is thinking positive thoughts ... singing a different tune about Balotelli compared to three days ago.

Mario Balotelli: Brendan Rodgers plays down striker exit talk (BBC)
    Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has no plans to offload Mario Balotelli during the January transfer window.
    The 24-year-old striker, who has scored twice in 15 games, has been linked with a return to Inter Milan by Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.
    "It's not something I have even thought about, to be honest," said Rodgers.
    "We've had a lot of games this season in a lot of competitions and, at this moment in time, the key for me is to keep this squad together."
    Liverpool were runners-up in the Premier League last season and were renowned for a high-intensity pressing style.
    Before the 1-0 win at Burnley on Boxing Day, Rodgers admitted: "Working with Mario, we see he is someone who is better in and around the box so that level of intensity and pressing isn't part of his game."
    Meanwhile, keeper Brad Jones will have a scan to determine the extent of the thigh injury that caused him to go off at Turf Moor on Friday.
    His withdrawal meant a return to the first team for Simon Mignolet, who had been dropped for the previous three matches.
    "In the main Simon is a very resilient character," said Rodgers. "Like everyone, he's taken a bit of stick but to operate at this level you have to be able to deal with that.
    "He had a couple of edgy moments at Burnley and he'll recognise that. But he ended the game with a clean sheet.
    "That's what he will want as a goalkeeper and what we want as a team."

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »

I don't mean him now, I mean if he was the same player he was when he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

With Jones out, will Danny Ward be our sub-keeper until Jones comes back?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team/player/danny-ward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Heading over tomorrow for the match on Monday! Was planning on doing the tour on Tuesday, was wondering how the 30% discount for members works on the tour? Will have season tickets with us, does this suffice for the discount? Cheers

Kolo will go to ACON. Who will be the back 3? Skrtl/Lovren....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sakho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Torres going to Milan on a permanent deal, according to SSN. Didn't see that coming, thought the Atletico move was done and dusted. Wish we made an attempt to bring him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sakho, our best centre back :)

klose wrote: »
    Sakho, our best centre back :)

Forgot about him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

martyos121 wrote: »
    Torres going to Milan on a permanent deal, according to SSN. Didn't see that coming, thought the Atletico move was done and dusted. Wish we made an attempt to bring him home.

Why? He's rubbish.

Why? He's rubbish.

No worse than "Super" Mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why? He's rubbish.

Yeah....we got the best of Torres. After he left Liverpool, he was a shadow of the player he was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Jesus no!

Jesus no!

You're completely satisfied with the fearsome strike force of Borini, Lambert and Balotelli then I take it? Wish I had your level of optimism, also it's not like we'd be trying to sign anyone better in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Torres would not improve the Liverpool frontline, as weak as it is. The club should be able to acquire much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You're completely satisfied with the fearsome strike force of Borini, Lambert and Balotelli then I take it? Wish I had your level of optimism, also it's not like we'd be trying to sign anyone better in January.

A washed up Torres, who when here dropped tools because chelsea were interested. Should be the last on our list of targets!

• Advertisement

If we're going to be buying players on the basis they're "no worse than "Super" Mario" then we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

You're putting words in the posters mouth. He never said he was satisfied with those 3. I wouldn't think anybody is satisfied with those 3 but adding an even worse striker is hardly going to improve things,is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Anfield or Liverpool is not Torres' home anyway, looks like he might be going to his actual home in Madrid anyway according to SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Torres would improve our frontline.

But we should be aiming higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The reason he is being sold to Milan is so he can be sold to AM in the summer for Ciro Henrique Alves Ferreira e Silva (Torres cannot sign twice (and so be on three clubs books) in one season if I remember the rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They're only buying so they have the right to sell him to Athletico surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Torres would improve our frontline.

But we should be aiming higher.

Any improvement would be minimal imo. He wouldn't get the goals needed.
    Like you say, need to aim higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Wise man once say....two wongs not make wan right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I absolutely loved Torres at Liverpool, but would hate to see the club to try and sign him again. We should be looking at players to bring the club forward not looking at players that have not shown any kind of form for over three years. Players like Lacazette or Alcacer would be a dream playing ahead of someone like Couthino.

signing Torres (and nobody else) would signal a lack of ambition.

If it was top class striker + Torres I could live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Any improvement would be minimal imo. He wouldn't get the goals needed.
    Like you say, need to aim higher.

Minimal if you maintained current performances. If he rolled back the years & found some form, be huge improvement.

But as I said, need to be aiming higher.

However, if we bring in no one....well that's just criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mav79 wrote: »
    Players like Lacazette or Alcacer would be a dream playing ahead of someone like Couthino.

Sign both of them and get rid of Borini & Balotelli would be the way to go.

Lacazette, Alcacer & Sturridge when fit would be an ideal strike force.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Minimal if you maintained current performances. If he rolled back the years & found some form, be huge improvement.

But as I said, need to be aiming higher.

However, if we bring in no one....well that's just criminal.

Pace,which was a big part of his game is gone.

There'll be no rolling back the years.

I have a bad feeling we'll be bringing in no one and yep...that will be criminal.

We have enough strikers who cant score. Why recruit another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think we should keep Balotelli.

brevity wrote: »
    I think we should keep Balotelli.

So do I but playing him up top on his own has to stop. It's doing him or the team no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Emile Huskey

madradonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

There are a few rumours of a mooted swap deal between Lazio and Liverpool for Borini and Onazi, a 21 yo Nigerian midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5live wrote: »
    There are a few rumours of a mooted swap deal between Lazio and Liverpool for Borini and Onazi, a 21 yo Nigerian midfielder

Is that the lad that looks in his 40's?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Refreshing new use of the "I did nazi that coming" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Whens the last time you saw a high profile swap deal actually happening?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement