Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Whens the last time you saw a high profile swap deal actually happening?

Today? Cerci for Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whens the last time you saw a high profile swap deal actually happening?

Just saw there that it's Borini plus £8m for him being said in the papers.
    The Nigeria international is a key man for the Serie A club, but Liverpool are looking to take advantage of Lazio's long-term interest in Borini by offering the former Chelsea and Roma forward plus £8million for Onazi's services.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/548964/Liverpool-Lazio-Ogenyi-Onazi-Fabio-Borini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Today? Cerci for Torres

Didn't happen yet though? And I think barring this case (Which is very much an exception) Swaps rarely, if ever occur. Excluding 3rd party ownerships etc.

Would be keen on a straight swop, paying money too though :(
    That onazi chap'll be heading to the Cup of Nations too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Didn't happen yet though? And I think barring this case (Which is very much an exception) Swaps rarely, if ever occur. Excluding 3rd party ownerships etc.

Nah, I generally agree, just funny that you said it today when Torres for Cerci is pretty much announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Milan are getting a raw deal out of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Kirby wrote: »
    Milan are getting a raw deal out of that one.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Wait till it's done, THEN tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Nah, I generally agree, just funny that you said it today when Torres for Cerci is pretty much announced.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30612861
    No Transfer occurred :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

617-05.jpg

Onazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/548979140519809026

Parallels could be drawn with our own club.

• Advertisement

31.jpg

Gits_bone wrote: »
    617-05.jpg

Onazi

Naw, that's David Schwimmer...

Swansea City goal sensation Wilfried Bony reveals how Liverpool FC rejected him after two-week trial.
    “I scored there twice last season and it was nice because I had been on trial there when I was younger. I was there for two weeks in 2007 when Rafa Benitez was the manager.

“They wanted to see what sort of a player I was and it was amazing as a young guy to get the chance to use facilities like that and to see a stadium like that.

“I remember sitting up in the stand there watching a game and I enjoy the chance to go and play there because it was my first experience of English football.

http://http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-goal-sensation-wilfried-8349737?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Anyway, Gazzetta reporting tomorrow that Balotelli has approached Inter with a view to a loan with option to buy.

This whole affair could be over real soon.

Now just to buy two strikers!

let him go only if we are bringing in a striker.. dont want to see Sterlings up top on his own for the whole season and burn him out :(

'today's clean sheet made it fun to watch'

Her obsession with clean sheets is concerning. From a non football prospective of course.
    I think someone needs to give her another phrase to work into her footie lexicon.

well we are not exactly sticking much into the onion bags :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

mada999 wrote: »
    let him go only if we are bringing in a striker.. dont want to see Sterlings up top on his own for the whole season and burn him out :(

What is this obsession people have with Sterling "burning out". He's not a light bulb...he's a professional athlete. Never have I seen such a focus on one player with regards to this. The league is full of young players. What makes Sterling so apparently prone to this? A lack of form doesn't indicate a burnout and a purple patch doesn't indicate how well rested he is.

Doctors and nurses who work 80 hour weeks get burnout....not footballers who train for a few hours a day. He has world class facilities and coaches at his disposal. They know exactly how much to train them to keep them in peak conditioning.

I'm not having a go at you mada particularly but this sterling burnout thing really grinds my gears. Why don't we ever hear the young defenders who play every game getting burnout? Only the attackers? Can we get a grip on this please? He's not exactly mining coal is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ha. Well said actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What is this obsession people have with Sterling "burning out". He's not a light bulb...he's a professional athlete. Never have I seen such a focus on one player with regards to this. The league is full of young players. What makes Sterling so apparently prone to this? A lack of form doesn't indicate a burnout and a purple patch doesn't indicate how well rested he is.

Doctors and nurses who work 80 hour weeks get burnout....not footballers who train for a few hours a day. He has world class facilities and coaches at his disposal. They know exactly how much to train them to keep them in peak conditioning.

I'm not having a go at you mada particularly but this sterling burnout thing really grinds my gears. Why don't we ever hear the young defenders who play every game getting burnout? Only the attackers? Can we get a grip on this please? He's not exactly mining coal is he?

I know what you mean, to an extent, but attackers tend to be more at risk of damaging developing muscles from high intensity sprints and dynamic running (quick turns putting extreme pressure on ligaments). Just in general, athletes muscles don't reach their most resilient until early/mid 20's.

As far as comparing him to other young players - there really aren't that many players at the highest level who have anywhere near his number of games under their belt - especially who even remotely match the level of intensity he plays with. We're taking a risk asking him to carry the team week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Burnout doesn't really work that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

burnout from increased stress/pressue i believe it refers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A man doesn't stop physically developing until he is 21. To subject a still developing body to the strains of one of the most physical leagues in the world is just asking for trouble. We managed to wreck Michael Owen by playing him 40+ games a season when he was in his teens, so there's a fear we could do the same to Sterling.

Michael Owen is the obvious one that picked up plenty of injuries.

Sturridge is now another one.

Torres before him and Fowler too.

Sterling should absolutely be managed properly considering his age.

"He's not mining coal " Exactly, he's an asset potentially worth tens of million to the club "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Suarez was not particularly awe inspiring prior to joining LFC but turned into a footballing machine.

I gotta disagree with this. Strongly! Suarez was nothing but awe-inspiring before joining Liverpool. The season he scored 50 goals was just ridiculous, he was winning games on his own.

Always said he'd be world class, even before he was linked to Liverpool.

I feel we've discussed this before but I disagree and makes me wonder how many times you saw him play back then if you didn't think much of him, unless you're talking about his earlier days in Holland? Immediately before he joined he was the best striker available in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

This Onazi link must be untrue. He has barely played for Lazio this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im shocked alot seem to agree with this naive assesement of Sterling imo.
    He is being way overplayed. Remember 12/13 he picked up a thigh injury due to overtraining & missed the last 3 months. We also seen how Rooney in his mid 20's lost his speed & we don't want Sterling to lose one of his greatest assets early in his career.
    Look what happemed to Ronaldo too was under too much pressure to play for years with a knee injury until he completly ruptured it.

Looking at these fixtures today.

Spurs v Utd
    Southampton v Chelsea
    West Ham v Arsenal

If Liverpool can manage win tomorrow night against Swansea, we could be gaining some ground on a few teams above us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Looking at these fixtures today.

Spurs v Utd
    Southampton v Chelsea
    West Ham v Arsenal

If Liverpool can manage win tomorrow night against Swansea, we could be gaining some ground on a few teams above us.

Even if we win, we will still be behind the team that we are playing..

Thats very true but I wont mind if we get the win.

It could potentially leave us only four points off fourth (IF results go our way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

This reads like a post from a broken man :p

Every 3 points are vital now, irrespective of who we play anyway.

• Advertisement

5 points off arsenal is the gap to be bridged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's faintly depressing to be watching United v Spurs and thinking a United win would probably be better for us if we want to get fourth place. Really like last year never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we are all being honest, top 4 is a long shot at this point. If we get back to last seasons form and hit 2 ppg average from now until the end of the season we are looking at 65 points total. Also, theres nothing to suggest we will hit 2 ppg. Our form will need to drastically improve and theres still no guarantee that it will even be enough. Top 4 now is a big ask.

I suppose the only thing going for us is that no team has 4th spot tied down, top 3 looks set at this point.

The burn out i meant was not necessarily physically... he's a young lad EXPECTED to score goals and get us out of the shíte at the moment. All eyes are on him to score.. must be tough on him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

3-0 and ahead of Swansea.

niallo27 wrote: »

Look again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Scoring 3 and conceding none would be a bit of a rarity these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Look again.

Have I the wrong table. 3 points and 6 goal swing between sides. 3-0 would put them both on +1 but liverpool would have scored more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Look again.

Niallo is right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Look again.

DON'T MAKE ME LOOK AT IT AGAIN

• Advertisement

Have I the wrong table. 3 points and 6 goal swing between sides. 3-0 would put them both on +1 but liverpool would have scored more goals.

Bah! Just glimpsed quickly at it.

Will revert to someone else's point about scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Liam O wrote: »
    Suarez was great before he joined Liverpool. I'd almost say his level dropped the first year and a half he was there, well his finishing anyway.

That isn't true. He was destroying a much worse league. While he scored a hat full of goals, his actual chance conversion rate was poor. He just got a tone of chances in Holland. His chance conversion stats were fairly similar in his first season and a half at Liverpool to his rate in the Dutch league. He only found that killer instinct in front of goal in the last couple of seasons at Liverpool.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    DON'T MAKE ME LOOK AT IT AGAIN
    Well, feck you anyway.

Now i have to clean tea off the keyboard.

Again:D

That isn't true. He was destroying a much worse league. While he scored a hat full of goals, his actual chance conversion rate was poor. He just got a tone of chances in Holland. His chance conversion stats were fairly similar in his first season and a half at Liverpool to his rate in the Dutch league. He only found that killer instinct in front of goal in the last couple of seasons at Liverpool.

In fairness, he scored something like 35 goals in 33 starts in his final full season for Ajax - scored 111 goals in 159 games. That's pretty damn impressive.

brevity wrote: »

As much as I like Shaqiri it's Strikers and Goalkeepers we need.

At one point in the Burnley game there was Mignolet, Skrtel & Sakho and 8 midfielders playing.

More midfielders are not needed in Janauary.

Ya I suppose. Rodgers does like his goal scoring midfielders though and he's probably better than most of our midfielders. If he's going for cheap then its a no brainer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

We splurged 20 million on a rw/rf in the summer in markovic and he's currently playing lwb so god knows what Rodgers would do with shaqiri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

In fairness, he scored something like 35 goals in 33 starts in his final full season for Ajax - scored 111 goals in 159 games. That's pretty damn impressive.

I didn't say it wasn't but the fact is you get far more chances to score in Holland. Lots of players like Kuyt for example scored goals for fun in the Dutch league but couldn't do the same in better leagues. Looking at the number of goals he scored is quite simplistic. Even though he scored all those goals his chance conversion was pretty bad at Ajax. Before he became prolific for Liverpool a huge number of stats websites did article on how he had never been a clinical finisher in his career despite the number of goal he scored in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

klose wrote: »
    We splurged 20 million on a rw/rf in the summer in markovic and he's currently playing lwb so god knows what Rodgers would do with shaqiri

defensive coach.

On the Markovic thing, I actually don't think the position is bad for his development - I just dont think its the best idea to be doing it for the first team. I think playing wing back for the reserves might have helped him with the defensive side of the game, to build that awareness when he came into the first team.

We've gotten away with it so far though, and the more time he's on the pitch the better - so long as its Sakho covering him at LCB instead of Lovren.

Henderson wasted at RWB bugs me a lot more than Markovic at LWB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement