Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the back papers tomorrow have us looking to sign Fabian Delph!

FFS do we not learn anything from transfers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It surprises me that you're surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's also the back pages...it's almost certainly not even remotely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

England international with tons of potential in the last year of his contract . Wouldn't be too upset getting him in on a free at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Watch us jizz way over the odds for berahinio in January too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is it just me who think Liverpool are doing alright this season?

Of course compared to last season it's a disaster in the league and the transfers haven't been a success so far but if you put it in context with the expectations at the start of the season and with your rivals, which I believe most Liverpool fans were hoping for top 4 then Liverpool are doing alright.

Firstly Liverpool are still in the Capital One cup, one of the favourites to win it. The teams most likely your rivals for fourth spot united and arsenal are both out.

Champions league Liverpool al though a little tricky should finish second, same as arsenal, city are struggling and united aren't even in it.

Looking at the league, Chelsea and city should finish first and second, arsenal united or pool should fill the other 2 spots for top 4.

Arsenal haven't been playing well but look to have other gears will probably take a spot. That leaves united and Liverpool to fight it out for the last spot. United are really struggling, they have their first team available and there doesn't look like any improvement, don't be fooled by the Chelsea or city game, anyone watching them esp the city one could see united were terrible regardless What their fans say.

Liverpool have been playing quite poorly too, but the difference is Liverpool have some of their best players injured, players that will make a difference. Also pools start was quite tough whilst united had one of the easiest starts in pl history and LVG has maneged to rack up one of the worst united points tallies in place history.

The problem is united most likely will spend huge again in January whilst Liverpool probably won't or can't.

So if Liverpool can improve their form most likely it will happen when sturidge comes back then you should get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

5starpool wrote: »
    As opposed to 'the group', 'outstanding', 'the boy', etc?

For me it's the bull****, almost "self-help-esque" , management speak that winds me up most about Rodgers. I have a particular hatred for it in any walk of life.

League wise we are doing poorly, similar to Arsenal and Utd.

League cup, great.

Champions league, poor but still in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Vicxas wrote: »

But at least he seems capable of finishing his dinner. God I miss goals.
    Getting tired of watching opposition fans celebrating theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Coutinho is our Player of the Month.

Otherwise known as the "most shiny turd" award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

rarnes1 wrote: »

League cup, great.

You forgot we're still in the FA Cup!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hendo 2.0 - works hard and does simple things right but not what we need. We need quality. That said I've been impressed any time I've seen him over the past year.
    Vicxas wrote: »

Everytime we splooge over the odds on a player I get annoyed - at least Berahinio looks electric and he's the perfect profile of player to learn from Sturridge....if he isn't perma-injured obviously. His finishing seems top notch already - that 1v1 with De Gea this season was quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hendo 2.0 - works hard and does simple things right but not what we need. We need quality. That said I've been impressed any time I've seen him over the past year.

Everytime we splooge over the odds on a player I get annoyed - at least Berahinio looks electric and he's the perfect profile of player to learn from Sturridge....if he isn't perma-injured obviously. His finishing seems top notch already - that 1v1 with De Gea this season was quality.
    I don't see us buying a forward this winter transfer window, unless one of our strikers is injured or sold.

We have Origi coming in for next season and another striker would leave us top-heavy in numbers if not in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oranage2 wrote: »
    United are really struggling, they have their first team available and there doesn't look like any improvement

Liverpool have been playing quite poorly too, but the difference is Liverpool have some of their best players injured

Hold up a sec, United have not had a first choice back 4 all year, some of the players who have played centre half weren't even heard of by some of their own fans. Falcao hasn't played 90mins yet and missed the last 2, Herrera missed half the games so far through injury, Rooney got banned for 3 games. Take a look at who plays back 4 for them this weekend and you'll see what I mean.

I have no love for United or anything but I strongly disagree that they "have their first team available". I'd argue the complete opposite. I can't think of 1 league game this year where the best XI has been put out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's available on a free though, with that in mind, I would have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He's available on a free though, with that in mind, I would have him.

Definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5live wrote: »
    I don't see us buying a forward this winter transfer window, unless one of our strikers is injured or sold.

We have Origi coming in for next season and another striker would leave us top-heavy in numbers if not in quality.

Have to agree, it would be unlikely to buy another "kid" with Origi joining. I imagine next summer forward activity will see Borini gone (if not in January) and a decision made on Balotelli. If he stays then I doubt they'll be a another forward bought, if he goes then expect a silly offer for Reus or maybe one of Gignac/Lacazette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If the club has the same thinking we can forget about Top 4. Goals, goals and goals that is what we need. We have some very talented attacking players but only one real goal scorer and he's a sick note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I can't see us not signing a striker.
    Borini - out of favour 0 goals & will be gone in the summer or January
    Lambert - Seen only as a sub 0 goals & wasn't even on the bench the other night.
    Sturridge - Injury prone
    Balotelli - Only 2 goals & was a last resort signing which hasn't worked so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sturridge will come back, light the place up with goals, no one will arrive in January and at 12.01am on Feb 1st Sturridge will get up to get a drink, fall down the stairs and be out for the rest of the season :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

League cup, great.

League wise, we are hanging in.

Think where the concern ultimately lies is in how poorly we are paying.

Or Downing 2.0

Carroll was scoring goals for fun and some real quality ones at that before we bought him at an over inflated price.

Both were seen as the English IT player at the time and we wasted £50m+ on them.

Neither are what we need now.

What we need is now is quality players who are also experienced in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Think where the concern ultimately lies is in how poorly we are paying.

This is the crux of it. Could cope with league position if there was a sign that the quality of last season was still there.

But it's not, and the players & manager look clueless on how to get it back.

To compound matters, the narrative being trotted out by the manager is constantly changing and seems more interested in diverting any/all blame away from him which is not a good trait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Daemonic wrote: »
    Sturridge will come back, light the place up with goals, no one will arrive in January and at 12.01am on Feb 1st Sturridge will get up to get a drink, fall down the stairs and be out for the rest of the season :(

Why the hell is he drinking upstairs??? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Dickerty wrote: »
    Why the hell is he drinking upstairs??? :mad::mad:
    Its some hipster attic bar

Carroll was scoring goals for fun and some real quality ones at that before we bought him at an over inflated price.

Both were seen as the English IT player at the time and we wasted £50m+ on them.

Neither are what we need now.

What we need is now is quality players who are also experienced in Europe.

I didn't want Carroll and fwiw I absolutely didn't buy into the hype Sky surrounded him in. Was he playing well - absolutely, is he a talented footballer - yes, was he what we needed/wanted - no. Like I said - I normally don't buy into the hype but this guy seems to have the potential to go up another level.

Perhaps it's just me but I like strikers who make defenders guess, play off the shoulder and will cause a bit of chaos - I think Berahino is one of those types of players and if he isn't already then I certainly think he has the tools to become that player.

I absolutely agree on the quality side of things and needing experienced players. You look at City, Chelsea etc - they have quality a cut above what we have - which is mainly potential. So to that end - I wouldn't mind not getting in Berahino IF we purchase somebody who already has the tools/experience required.

I absolutely agree on the quality side of things and needing experienced players. You look at City, Chelsea etc - they have quality a cut above what we have - which is mainly potential. So to that end - I wouldn't mind not getting in Berahino IF we purchase somebody who already has the tools/experience required.

The way I look at it West Brom are looking at £20m+ for him.

I want the club to go out and buy Reus and build around him and Sturridge.

Reus would cost less than West Brom want for Berahino because of his buyout clause and to be honest forget about that just buy him and pay him the wages the club were going to pay Luis.

Offer Dortmund €25m for him €5m morre than his buyout clause and offer him £150k a week contract.

If he turns us down for one of the big 6/7 teams so be it but we need to aim big.

We are paying Sturridge £150k a week with his new contract and we all know he will miss plenty of matches every season picking up injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This is the crux of it. Could cope with league position if there was a sign that the quality of last season was still there.

But it's not, and the players & manager look clueless on how to get it back.

To compound matters, the narrative being trotted out by the manager is constantly changing and seems more interested in diverting any/all blame away from him which is not a good trait.

Pretty sure Rodgers has used the phrase "we need to do better". That includes him. I'm sure he knows that he's to blame for some of the issues but do you think him coming out and taking full credit for our poor form is going to help?!? The players need to respect the manager and I think they do. It's not often you'll hear Jose take the fall for a poor effort. Rodgers is from his school of media sound bites. It just sounds better in a Portuguese accent.

The way I look at it West Brom are looking at £20m+ for him.

I want the club to go out and buy Reus and build around him and Sturridge.

Reus would cost less than West Brom want for Berahino because of his buyout clause and to be honest forget about that just buy him and pay him the wages the club were going to pay Luis.

Offer Dortmund €25m for him €5m morre than his buyout clause and offer him £150k a week contract.

If he turns us down for one of the big 6/7 teams so be it but we need to aim big.

We are paying Sturridge £150k a week with his new contract and we all know he will miss plenty of matches every season picking up injuries.

Marco Reus is one of the best players in Europe. I don't see why he's come here... Even if we offered him €250k a week bayern could offer more. I hope I'm wrong as he's superb but I reckon anyone pinning their hopes on him will be disappointed.

Berahino looks a really clever player. I'd be thrilled with him tbh. Instinctive and makes superb runs. Great pace too.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Marco Reus is one of the best players in Europe. I don't see why he's come here... Even if we offered him €250k a week bayern could offer more. I hope I'm wrong as he's superb but I reckon anyone pinning their hopes on him will be disappointed.

That's why I said if we loss out to one of the big 6/7 teams so be it.

He is the player we should be trying for not the next hopefully big thing ( that has hit a rich vain of form) and wasting millions on hope.

Berahino looks a really clever player. I'd be thrilled with him tbh. Instinctive and makes superb runs. Great pace too.

You really would be happy to pay £20m + on Berahino? but not at least try for Reus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Has there actually been talk of us going after Berahino? I'd be fairly cautious over going for him, you see too many flavour of the month players quickly disappear to mediocrity, we have been burnt before, hopefully not again, it's just no comparison knocking a few in for West Brom over playing for Liverpool, the problem is you can't judge how a player will cope until you see it in action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Reus will be wanted by United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Real, Atletico, PSG, Juventus and probably a lot more and is already at his boyhood club. If I was a Liverpool fan, or indeed any of those other teams it's very difficult to say just offer more for him. For every 5m you add on there'll be 3 or 4 willing to spend 10m more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Id have no problem with us signing delph or berahino. Its where the fees and opportunity costs come in that a problem would arise. Both good players though imo with the potential to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Has there actually been talk of us going after Berahino? I'd be fairly cautious over going for him, you see too many flavour of the month players quickly disappear to mediocrity

Usually just after they sign for us!!

I seem to remember a guy called Harry Kewell :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Would give anything to see Mascherano back in a Liverpool shirt.
    He's what we need, not some overrated English chap, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Might have already been mentioned but theres a good interview with Comolli on second captains football from yesterday. Had great things to say about Kenny. In fairness he did help bring some modern ideas into the game..

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

90% of our squad is potential it's time to stop buying potential now and buy experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

90% of our squad is potential it's time to stop buying potential now and buy experienced.
    No need to get Berahino as we have Origi. Doumbia,Jackson Martinez or Lacazette could be strikers we could sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

From Reddit:

jmg0cKw.jpg

Mind you, you could just as easily do it the other way around with some of the guff Brendan likes to talk.:o

• Advertisement

Just on the Berahino thing - one thing working in our favour is Andre Wisdom playing well for them this year - he was impressive against United and a player who has potential to grow into a solid CB - he might get the oppertunities at Liverpool, though I do see Ilori as being ahead of him, so using him as a makeweight in a deal for Berahino might help us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The way things are going Wisdom could be in with a shot of being our first choice right back next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Might have already been mentioned but theres a good interview with Comolli on second captains football from yesterday. Had great things to say about Kenny. In fairness he did help bring some modern ideas into the game..

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

I had good lol earlier in the week when he said it was the Henderson transfer that cost him his job at Liverpool.

MD1990 wrote: »
    No need to get Berahino as we have Origi. Doumbia,Jackson Martinez or Lacazette could be strikers we could sign.

Origi is completely untested in the premiership and I doubt he'd take the league by storm yet.

We need absolute quality up front and ditch Ballotelli, Borini and Lambert. I don't trust Sturridge to stay fit anymore so imo huge money needs to be spent on strikers.

It doesn't have to be huge money. Just has to be the right guy/guys. Danny didn't exactly cost us a fortune and abother one like him would do. If that takes 30m then I hope they spend it but going and throwing massive money at the wrong guy will be a monster mistake. And one we can't afford.

I wonder how people would respond if we bought a guy with suarezs cv before he joined us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mada999 wrote: »
    why can't we play like this again?? the mind boggles... players running and creating space in midfield and offering themselves for the pass from the defence...what has gone wrong??

We're missing our two best players maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Origi is completely untested in the premiership and I doubt he'd take the league by storm yet.

We need absolute quality up front and ditch Ballotelli, Borini and Lambert. I don't trust Sturridge to stay fit anymore so imo huge money needs to be spent on strikers.

Apart from Sturridge, we don't have another player who you could rely on to score 10+ league goals a season.

Needs to be addressed.

djPSB wrote: »
    Apart from Sturridge, we don't have another player who you could rely on to score 10+ league goals a season.

Needs to be addressed.

Exactly.

People are say Delph is potential but would they be saying that is he wasn't going to be available on a free?

He is a year younger than Lallana who we paid £25m for so what is the difference in potential between them in one year?

We paid £20 for Markovic who is potential.

Where do you fit a player like Delph (60k wages) into our midfield does he go ahead of anyone there right now?

Why not use that 60k wages to go towards paying for a world class players wages.

The same can be said for Berahino don't waste £20m(50/60k wages) on him as potential. Put both there wages togetherto go towards world class striker with experience wages.

We have a solid group of defenders without a a good coach.

We have a pretty soild midfield we could do with a world class DM.

It is up front where we are weak.

Put most of the money we have into buying a world class strike to go with Sturridge and Origi next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It doesn't have to be huge money. Just has to be the right guy/guys. Danny didn't exactly cost us a fortune and abother one like him would do. If that takes 30m then I hope they spend it but going and throwing massive money at the wrong guy will be a monster mistake. And one we can't afford.

I wonder how people would respond if we bought a guy with suarezs cv before he joined us now.

Probably as astounded and delighted as I was back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

djPSB wrote: »

Needs to be addressed.

Skrtel scored 11 league goals last year including scoring against all top 4 league clubs.

Just saying...

Edit. Damned spell check.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement