Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    just for reference liverpool have lost more matches, conceded more goals and have less points at this stage than they had under hodgson after 11 games in 2010

yikes

Just shows you how bad the league is this year that at the min they are only 3 points off of 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sterling, Coutinho and Balo will all be far better with Danny up top (I hope). If we still are playing like this in January then its time to really worry.

And in September, people said that if we're still playing like this in November we'll start to worry. When is it ok to start worrying?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

4-5-1, Lovren, Johnson, Balotelli etc. Can we restart the season?

On a more serious note, impressed with Emre Can so far. Hopefully he'll turn into the DM we've been crying out for. Moreno's is incredibly refreshing going forward but he showed his defensive frailities again today

Can't wait for the international break to be over and Sturridge to be back. It can't come quick enough.

Just shows you how bad the league is this year that at the min they are only 3 points off of 4th

And 5 off 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

mosstin wrote: »
    And in September, people said that if we're still playing like this in November we'll start to worry. When is it ok to start worrying?

When Sturridge gets back... i'd have thought that was obvious from my post?!"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Performance was better, played quite well and beaten by the best team in the league where we probably deserved a point.

Same problems persist though. A run of wins badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

darced wrote: »

He's not going to solve all our problems single-handedly, I think you'll be in for a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers is a stubborn man his failure to change this formation will cost him and probably his job.
    Had enough of balotelli maybe he can play with Sturridge but never play him on his own again.
    Can looks good but he's only a kid.
    Henderson really poor the last few games he has the quality though.
    Sterling wasted out wide again.
    Coutinho shows sparks but no end product, he does have a very good understanding with Sturridge so when he's back he should be better.
    Lovren looks so poor looks a terrible buy so far.
    Moreno is a bit raw still not a huge interest in defending.
    Gerrard forward is the way forward, look at him towards the end of that game creating and pressing and looked a threat. He is wasted deep and just doesn't have the legs.

I really hope the club are looking for a striker in January 1 league goal between 4 strikers after 11 games is the big problem.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    just for reference liverpool have lost more matches, conceded more goals and have less points at this stage than they had under hodgson after 11 games in 2010

yikes

Difference is that Rodgers has shown that he can lead the team to success, while Hodgson had already lost the dressing room and was clearly out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The recalled players did well didn't they? :rolleyes:

I praised Rodgers the other night for dropping the poor performers only to pick them again today.

Terrible management

You can maybe argue that Toure, at 33, couldn't hack it playing two games that big and that he always planned to play Gerrard, but Henderson has been consistently **** and was again, Lallana didn't get a sniff and if we were going to try and keep it tight then I don't see the point in playing just Balotelli up front.

We have options in the squad - they mightn't be great but neither is what we have on the pitch. On Tuesday it looked like Rodgers was picking the right tools for the job and picking players on form.

I just haven't a ****ing clue what this mess he's reverted back to constantly is trying to be.

It's well and good saying that Sturridge will help - if we threaten over the top it effects their ability to push up and press - but the players today don't look like the sorts of players that can build the attack in situations like this.

Gerrard couldn't get turned and was constantly turned backwards (Lucas didn't as much against against Real) and Henderson's passing was ****.
    Can and Coutinho were the only ones willing to bring the ball forward but it meant having to run a gauntlet of about 6 Chelsea players every time before they got into space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gerrard has been Ineffective and Hendo has been Nonexistent, and yet Can, our Best Midfielder, gets subbed 1st? Are you Kidding me?

And speaking of Gerrard, he simply does not work with this Team. His Best Asset is his Hollywood Passes. But none of our Available Strikers (Balo, Lambert) can do anything with it.

He also puts our Defense in alot of Trouble, not only because he is so easily bypassed but also because of his Sideway Passes. Why can't he Dribble the Ball for a few Feet, and lay it off to Players ahead of him?

I ****ing lost it when Gerrard looped the Ball so lazily, that we almost Lost the Ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

darced wrote: »

courtois could have read a newspaper for 90 minutes, what are you on about :S ?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    When Sturridge gets back... i'd have thought that was obvious from my post?!"? :confused:

Seriously? A man with an injury record like Darren Anderton is going to single handedly save our season? Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm not anti Rodgers but this season is reminding me of his first season. Team is playing with no confidence or resilience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gerrard has been Ineffective and Hendo has been Nonexistent, and yet Can, our Best Midfielder, gets subbed 1st? Are you Kidding me?

I didn't have a problem with that. He doesn't look like he has the legs yet and we needed someone fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Another forgotten man needs to be brought into consideration again... Lucas Leiva. Showed against Real he still has it in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Most people tend to have a go at our defence but fcuk me we are totally clueless in attack, 6 goals at home in lge this year tells its own story, over 100m spent and 6 home goals to show for it, the goal we scored today was a fcuking deflection, and note once did we look like scoring, infact our last 4 games i cant remember creating any chances or opposition keepers making saves, if this continues brendan will simply have to go

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Another forgotten man needs to be brought into consideration again... Lucas Leiva. Showed against Real he still has it in him.

Rewarding poor performaces by picking players, and rewarding players who play well by dropping them.

Baffling.

• Advertisement

Can lacks match fitness. Faded badly second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ardent wrote: »
    He's not going to solve all our problems single-handedly, I think you'll be in for a disappointment.

He'll go aa long way IMO, only problem is how long will it be before he's back on the treatment table.

Can't believe lallana was dropped after RM performance.

Very disappointing week but feck getting pissed off just gonna hope we turn it around soon,

In BR I trust.

mosstin wrote: »
    Seriously? A man with an injury record like Darren Anderton is going to single handedly save our season? Nonsense.

Nope but we should improve when he gets back. And then hopefully we can buy an effective striker in january. Lambert has been a shocking signing in a lot of ways, he takes up a roster slot (nfl term) and offers nothing. Borini is clearly not viewed as being up to it and not being able to get him to go to Sunderland and bringing in someone else is killing us.

That being said Rogers needs to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Gerrard and Henderson did not look like they ever played together, terrible performance again from them. This tactic of dropping deep in between the two CBs to collect the ball is doing nothing only inviting pressure deeper in your own half. Most of the time the CB's are not being pressurized until the midfield two drop deep. It leaves too much space between defence and attack and we are forced into long balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Disappointing result with questionable substitutions. Maybe the perfornance was slightly superior despite iffy reffing? That said, we got a blistering start, should have suited us down to the ground.

Either way, huge pressure now. Critical run of games between now and Chritmas. Is Rodgers man enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gbear wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem with that. He doesn't look like he has the legs yet and we needed someone fresh.

I have.

He could have subbed Gerrard or Hendo, both have been Terrible as of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fowler87 wrote: »

Lucas is no better than Gerrard. I know which player I'd have in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The players are in comfort zone as they know they won't be dropped. Gerrard was terrible & clearly doesn't have the legs anymore. Johnson gets caught up the field & jogs back which is a disgrace. Lovren is atm brainless at the back. Henderson way off form & we have no attacking threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Not good enough. Too annoyed to say anything more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Whats the solution Brendan?"
    "Work harder. Get injured players back"

Doesn't inspire confidence does it?

• Advertisement

We could be 14th tomorrow evening, time for rodgers to hit the rd i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I'm not as downbeat as most seem after that performance. Playing the best team in the league and I thought we did quite well. One of the major positives is we have gotten a large number of players involved over the last few games and hopefully that will help with the squad evolution. Can certainly also looks like a player and hopefully we can get him a good run of games. Why we haven't seen Lallana is baffling. The big negative for me was Rodgers substitutions. Taking Coutinho off! Often he changes games through tweaks to formations but he never really seems to know how to impact the control of a game through tactical subs and today was no different. With Sturridge back this train now needs to get back on the right track over the coming games or serious questions will start being asked.

shamrock55 wrote: »

bit dramatic to be fair.....

Kirby wrote: »

"We have to keep working hard and hope get some of our injured players back in. There is no magic formula but I have a brilliant group of players here. We will be ready and firing after the international break."

Not when you leave out the most important part of the quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What do you want a powerpoint presentation?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not when you leave out the most important part of the quote.

The rest of the sentence was fluff, so I binned it. He was asked what the solution was.....not "how they would be firing after the break.". That's not an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Hope Can builds up some match fitness. Looked far more productive with the ball than Hendo/Stevie and braver. Rodgers simply has to start with two strikers next game IMO, Balotelli alone is not cutting it, we look utterly toothless most of the time. Sturridge said before today's game he'll be back for the next so hopefully that'll see a shakeup in formation. Allen looked a bit lively when he came on too, it's frustrating seeing Gerrard and Hendo constantly dropping so deep to get the ball and inviting pressure, particularly when our defenders (Johnson, Lovren in particular) looking so shaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Never have I welcomed an international break more than this, really need to kick on at Palace in two weeks.

Providing everyone's fit I want to see this team get a few games together.
    Mignolet
    Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson-Can
    Sterling
    Sturridge-Balotelli

When January comes around we have to be looking at a DM, Gerrard can't continue in that role. We need someone like Matic, someone to break up the play properly, when defending, Gerrard is basically anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Can lacks match fitness. Faded badly second half.

I agree with this. I like him as a player, think he has a big future. I woulda brought on Lallana though.

I dont think so, i have always tried to stick up for rodgers but i just dont think i can anymore, he is not giving me anything to work with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

shamrock55 wrote: »

Gtfo, he deserves allot more time, 14th is worst case scenario to try an justify your wrong opinion

The rest of the sentence was fluff, so I binned it. He was asked what the solution was.....not "how they would be firing after the break.". That's not an answer.

Still a misquote to intentionally make him seem worse than what he said.

I think we are going to come out of the international break a different proposition. We will have Sturridge back and some time to think about things might do everyone some good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's by no means a disgrace to be beat by that Chelsea side, they're an outstanding team with quality in every position.

Sterling is probably the only player we have that would get into that Chelsea team and that's down to fsg and their transfer policy. This excuse of being bitten by the Comoli signings just doesn't cut it anymore.

Fsg need to realize quickly that genuine proven quality is needed to compete at top of the league for a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Aye. It is dramatic. But we need to start saying "top 4 is looking unlikely".

"We're only 3 points off" they say. That's with every other team currently having a game in hand.

Even if all teams ahead of us lose, we still have to consider the teams in positions 3/4 for champions league positions are City and Arsenal in effect. They're not the team we're chasing, or that anyone's chasing, really. The team we're chasing is Southampton in reality, and we're far more than 3 points away from them. Anything else is just a bit of ongoing self-delusion with numbers. Arsenal are looking strong and we'll never touch them on current form. City going through the rough a bit and yet they're still knocking results together. Us? One point from last three.

Nowhere near top 4 and over a quarter of the way through the season. You end up sleepwalking into these situations with phrases like "it's early" or "wait and see", until suddenly it's the final quarter of the season and you realise you have to crank out 2.5 points per game to claw teams back.

I do not see that happening. I don't see any progress. I'm not saying Rodgers should go, but I am saying he needs to tear up the book a little bit and start again: Can should be in Gerrard's position. Allen and Henderson should be ahead of him. Sterling should be through the middle - Coutinho and Lallana left and right. Sturridge when back should start. Until then, Balotelli just absolutely can't play on his own: 0 shots and either 4 or 5 offsides today. His lack of positional awareness is absolutely staggering at this level. Rodgers stubbornness is bizarre at this stage.

We're already in the fight of our lives for 4th and I'm not being funny when I say that. If we fail to get top 4, the reality is that Rodgers will be gone and we'll be back to square one.

Still a misquote to intentionally make him seem worse than what he said.

I didn't misquote him. That's what he said. Not listing everything he has said is not misquoting him. You left out things he said in the interview....you still didn't misquote him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Balotelli wasnt awful today, but jesus not since the days of Pipo Inzaghi have I seen a striker offside so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Never have I welcomed an international break more than this, really need to kick on at Palace in two weeks.

Providing everyone's fit I want to see this team get a few games together.
    Mignolet
    Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson-Can
    Sterling
    Sturridge-Balotelli

When January comes around we have to be looking at a DM, Gerrard can't continue in that role. We need someone like Matic, someone to break up the play properly, when defending, Gerrard is basically anonymous.

Balotelli should not be on the pitch at all. Offers nothing.

Our best mid at this stage is Can, Henderson and Lallana. Sturridge (if fit) plays up front alongside Sterling.

• Advertisement

I didn't misquote him. That's what he said. Not listing everything he has said is not misquoting him. You left out things he said in the interview....you still didn't misquote him.

True but i quoted him on the question he was asked. You did not to try and deliberately make him look clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement