Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Stargate wrote: »
    Did Sanchez ever say why he favoured Arsenal? Was it money , city , or just wanted to go there? He was on my Liverpool wish list for the summer !

They have better fans than us. We're the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Apologies, I forgot that Hodgson had taken us to the brink of winning the league a few months earlier.

Adding your own very narrow context is nearly worse than having none. The manager deserves time on the back of last season no question but comparing Roy and Rodgers it should also be added that Rodgers has been given time and huge backing in the transfer market. I don't think Roy should have been given either but having received both a manager should be showing what his team is capable of not burrowing a path similar to one of the worst managers we've had in the history of the club. Feast your eyes on some stats beyond the points

#EPL Big Chances conceded 2014/15
    1= Chelsea, Stoke 11
    3= Southampton, West Brom 12
    19= QPR, Liverpool 21

#EPL Defensive Errors 2014/15:
    1. Liverpool 16
    2. Everton 12
    3. Man Utd 11
    4. QPR 9
    20. Southampton 0

#EPL Clear Cut Chances 2014/15:
    1. City 28
    2. Chelsea 27
    3. Arsenal 25
    4. Spurs 22
    5. Southampton 21
    16. Liverpool 11

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Did Sanchez ever say why he favoured Arsenal? Was it money , city , or just wanted to go there? He was on my Liverpool wish list for the summer !

He's a lazy bugger, so he chose a club out of everything at Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

They have better fans than us. We're the worst.

Ha Kerrigooney :p , you in the pub again lol . Sanchez would have been an excellent signing for us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yep such knee jerk rubbish.

Ha kneejerk? You obviously dont know me on here so.

Coming from you and your daily nonsense I doubt you take time to read through much of the stuff anyways. Not to mention your persistence with "the rodgers" thing whatever the **** thats about.

Regarding Markovich the lad didnt set the world alight at Benfica, he showed promise and that was it. If memory serves, he actually was out of the starting 11 during last season. Again understandable at 19.

My point was and maybe its my fault for not coming across clear enough was that for a club like Liverpool who cannot compete with the heavy spenders, we go and fork out 20 million on a kid who has shown promise while we had someone like Ibe who has also shown promise and in a Liverpool jersey has shown more than Markovich.

Look at the top clubs. For as well as they do as a team, Arsenal relying on Sanchez to drag them kicking and screaming currently. City relying on Aguero. Chelsea as well drilled as they are, without Costa they would be nowhere near as efficient. United take today for example, have mata to pull them a result.

Top clubs need world class players. We lost one in the summer and came nowhere near to replacing him, or improving the squad with one.

It was ample opportunity in the Summer to try and bring in a genuine proven talent.

And back on Markovich, Im not saying sell him, hang him out to dry etc but he is just an unfortunate example of our poor summer transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We TRIED for Sanchex, he said no!!!
    Half true.

We tried for Sanchez, but we didn't offer him enough money.

We continue to mickey-mouse around in the transfer market, thinking that top players are ten a penny and that we can afford to pass up 10 in a row. Meanwhile, other clubs offer the required dough, and Rogers is left scrambling to try and bring in damaged goods or mediocre talent that no one really wants.

Ha Kerrigooney :p , you in the pub again lol . Sanchez would have been an excellent signing for us .

Haha,you must think I'm some sort of pisshead and I don't even drink. Went to the pub a few times last season to watch games but haven't been this season yet.

Yeah,Sanchez would have been a fantastic signing for us. He's similar to Suarez in a lot of ways but with less cannibalism :D

Half true.

We continue to mickey-mouse around in the transfer market, thinking that top players are ten a penny and that we can afford to pass up 10 in a row. Meanwhile, other clubs offer the required dough, and Rogers is left scrambling to try and bring in damaged goods or mediocre talent that no one really wants.

The truth is we dont know what we offered Sanchez. It could of been 150k a week to Arsenals 120k or whatever he is on.

He/The wife wanted to go to London and thats all we know.

We can't jeopardise the club for the sake of pulling in talent as we just dont have the spending power.

Backs up my point though, was spending 20 million on Markovich really needed?

joe123 wrote: »
    who cannot compete with the heavy spenders,

Getting a bit tired of hearing this...we spent how much this Summer again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Markovic not Markovich

• Advertisement

How many clubs sold a player for 75 million in the summer?

Sure Costa was signed for what 25-30 million, but god knows what sort of contract he is on or what signing on fee he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Half true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2819485/Barcelona-snubbed-Liverpool-s-improved-offer-Alexis-Sanchez-Chile-star-secure-summer-Arsenal-switch.html
    Barcelona took a reported £3million hit in the Alexis Sanchez deal because the Arsenal forward preferred a move to the Emirates.

According to Spanish newspaper Sport, Liverpool made a bigger bid for the Chilean star than their Premier League rivals Arsenal, only for the player and Spanish giants to give the green light to a less lucrative move to the Gunners instead.

Bit tired of people saying we didn't go all out for Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Half true.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/04/alexis-sanchez-begged-barcelona-for-arsenal-transfer-despite-liverpool-offering-more-money-4934400/

"According to Spanish daily, Sport, Brendan Rodgers’ side outbid the Gunners by £3million in the summer, but the Chilean striker pleaded with Barca to allow him to move to the Emirates for a reduced cost."
    joe123 wrote: »
    He/The wife wanted to go to London and thats all we know.

She works and lives in Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Haha,you must think I'm some sort of pisshead and I don't even drink. Went to the pub a few times last season to watch games but haven't been this season yet.

Yeah,Sanchez would have been a fantastic signing for us. He's similar to Suarez in a lot of ways but with less cannibalism :D

Yip i know that re the drink ha , i saw you posted it somewhere before :p was only teasing ya . Thought Chile overall were really excellent at the World Cup and they have a few players of quality Liverpool could have done with this season. Sanchez was the ONE for me.

Francie said it well i think.

" Half true.

We tried for Sanchez, but we didn't offer him enough money. "

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully it'll be easier to get tickets for games in the sale next week anyhow than it was in the July sales, although they are doing their best to put me off wanting to go see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

5starpool wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll be easier to get tickets for games in the sale next week anyhow than it was in the July sales, although they are doing their best to put me off wanting to go see them.

You wouldn't let the fact that we're underperforming put you off going over would you? I've been over twice this season and have yet to see a win or a goal. Have a pretty dire recent record actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What we spent in the summer was just to increase the depth that we lacked last season. We were very lucky last season in terms of injuries because we wouldn't of had the squad to cope.

If fsg had of spent a few quid in the previous windows we could of spent the suarez money on quality experienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

mosstin wrote: »
    You wouldn't let the fact that we're underperforming put you off going over would you? I've been over twice this season and have yet to see a win or a goal. Have a pretty dire recent record actually.

have you thought about stopping going to see if you're the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So we didn't get Sanchez. But players with a goalscoring record should have been bought like Griezmann or Firminio to replace Suarez's goals. Not a prospect like Markovic coming from a weak league while we have Sterling & Ibe already.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    So we didn't get Sanchez. But players with a goalscoring record should have been bought like Griezmann or Firminio to replace Suarez's goals. Not a prospect like Markovic coming from a weak league while we have Sterling & Ibe already.

Markovic defintely seems to be becoming the lightning rod for people's discontent of late. Which is desperately unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Never saw the game as i was working.

All i do know is that Lallana didnt play. That's all i need to know about Rodgers these days.

Markovic defintely seems to be becoming the lightning rod for people's discontent of late. Which is desperately unfair.
    I don't blame Markovic. He is only 20 & will need plenty of time. More so the decision to buy him as it wasn't what we needed.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't blame Markovic. He is only 20 & will need plenty of time. More so the decision to buy him as it wasn't what we needed.

Agreed. His 20 million and the 16 million for Balotelli could have bought one very decent striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

daithijjj wrote: »

All i do know is that Lallana didnt play. That's all i need to know about Rodgers these days.

Your shout Lovren did and he was poor again.

I know, I know, nobody would look good in our defence the way we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

2nd game on motd tonight at 11:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He should be judged to the same standards Kenny was tbh.

Within a whisker of delivering a League title last season should buy a man a bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

daithijjj wrote: »

TBH there's not much difference between the two right now, Lallana just looks busier doing nothing.

Edit I mean two as in Coutinho and Lallana.

Out of interest, how many of our team would make the Chelsea or Madrid team.

I'd say Moreno and that'd be it.

djPSB wrote: »
    Within a whisker of delivering a League title last season should buy a man a bit of time.

If that is the criteria for time then Kenny should have got much longer. As Rafa found out you buy yourself time through results. Previous seasons glories count for little in the modern game.

Moreno? Seriously? If Flanagan was fit I'd have him in ahead of Moreno at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

And people keep having to correct this facile argument - there's a huge difference between the squad we had to add to, the draw of the club, the wages we can afford and the net spend.

60m spent on a squad that's had half a billion spent on it over the previous 4-6 years is very different to the shower of **** that Hodgson, Kenny and eventually, Rodgers, inherited.

The average wage of the players we signed was about 60-80k.

The average age was about 22.

Nobody that's already established wants to play for us.

We are where we are and we're trying to put a long term strategy in place to be able to compete - focusing on youth that'll give us their money's worth, hold their value and be on small wages. It's the only option we have.

Our problem isn't about the players we've signed. It's that we simply have no right to be in the CL spots every year. There are 4 teams that have more money, are far more established or both. We can try to break into top 4 but more often than not we are going to fail. That's the reality, unless there's a seismic shift in power in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cross out Moreno and your probably right :)

kryogen wrote: »
    Cross out Moreno and your probably right :)

You're right.

It's fair to say I'd rather have Marcelo or Azpilicueta at this point in time over Moreno, so other than that probably none of our team would get in their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Chelsea played well today. Were very physical and Diego Costa took his chance well. Tough week losing both matches.
    If I was doing my job as poorly as Brendan Rodgers I would be shown the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!

It's fair to say I'd rather have Marcelo or Azpilicueta at this point in time over Moreno, so other than that probably none of our team would get in their teams.

So the results against both teams this week were to be somewhat expected?

Chelsea played well today. Were very physical and Diego Costa took his chance well. Tough week losing both matches.
    If I was doing my job as poorly as Brendan Rodgers I would be shown the door.

Should Rodgers be sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You're really on a one man Rodgers defensive aren't you?! Are you able to admit that Rodgers is doing very poor in his role this season?

See at the end of the season. I think he will be shown the door in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Yeah well I thought we had a squeak against Chelsea but no hope in Madrid, it'd be grand if we were beating teams that we should be so we could absorb these losses but we haven't been.

Yeah I'd say it has more to do with those results following a run which has seen us pick up less points than in the same period Roy was in charge and playing similarly awful football. It's blindingly obvious to all those teams are better than us although the sign of a great manager is getting a team to punch above its weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There are many problems in the team, but as has been for over a year now, I still believe a defensive-mid is the most pressing issue. The defence haven't been good, but any time the opposition get the ball it's the defenders that have to deal with it, they're getting no midfield support.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You're really on a one man Rodgers defensive aren't you?! Are you able to admit that Rodgers is doing very poor in his role this season?

He's hardly one man. There are very few on here who believe Rodgers is getting it right but fewer still who believe he should be sacked. And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So have you asked everyone this question now that just questions him?

Lovren had another poor game today. Thought he would be the player to lead the defence this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's hardly one man. There are very few on here who believe Rodgers is getting it right but fewer still who believe he should be sacked. And rightly so.

My point is he seems to be trying to quash any criticism of Rodgers in this thread.

So while very few people (if any) are calling for Rodgers head, he is deserving of very real criticism for the way the team is performing this season, his transfer record & his tactical inflexibility. Some people here don't seem to want to allow that criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bloody hell, watching that first goal doesn't get any better.

Do our defenders communicate at all. Not for the first time, Lovren and our other CB (Skrtel today) went for the same ball when one of them should have called it.

The exact same thing happened when Lovren jumped in and was knocked out by Sahko. Remember him doing it in another match too.

Rodgers is certainly at fault for a lot at the moment but that must infuriate him to see the lack of communication.

Who could replace Rodgers anyway?
    He done a great job last year he deserves some time to try to get things right imo.

• Advertisement

Lovren had another poor game today. Thought he would be the player to lead the defence this year.

Completely written him off. Top level defendes make good decisons. He is just a front foot defender who tries to win everying no matter how improbable. He seems to completely lack any kind of good decision making power instead relying solely on his ability to be proactive. Mostly as a defender you need to weigh up danger and make good considered decisions to the best course of action. Lovren just wants to head straight towards putting out fires with no forethought..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement