Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Does anybody have any idea how many times Mario Balotelli has been caught offside since he joined us? I've never seen anything like it.

Try as he might though, he'll never be another Djibril Cissé - when his head first popped out of the womb he was in an offside position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Does anybody have any idea how many times Mario Balotelli has been caught offside since he joined us? I've never seen anything like it.

Hernandez was the worst player I have ever seen for it.

Balotelli is still fairly bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Balotelli still doesn't expect to be the furthest forward and is completely confused about his new role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool target £10m-rated Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic in January transfer window..
    Liverpool have targeted Asmir Begovic in the January transfer window.

The Merseyside club went after the Stoke stopper in the summer of 2013 but were frightened off by a £15million asking price.

Instead they went for £9m Simon Mignolet.

Liverpool conceded 50 Premier League goals in Mignolet’s first season - a record for a team finishing runners-up.

Begovic, 27, now has only 20 months left on his Stoke contract and might be prised away for around £10m.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-target-10m-rated-stoke-goalkeeper-4593800?

brevity wrote: »
    I think Balotelli still doesn't expect to be the furthest forward and is completely confused about his new role.

I agree with this he is used to playing with a striking partner and being the one that comes deep for the ball and not he most forward player.

We all know playing on his own up front does not suit his style.

The manager for whatever reason doesn't want to or can't see it... both are not good signs in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't ever believe anything you read in the Mirror.

I find it funny that people keep blaming goalkeepers and defenders when its clear that the real issue is defensive midfield. There is nobody there to jump on a breaking ball or cut out a pass.

Also tactically there are some issues. The set up for corners is not good. There is nobody up the field at all, everybody is back defending. It means that even when a ball is cleared that the opposition are on the attack once again. I just don't understand why Sterling is not left out the field a bit to try and use his pace to break from a cleared ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have you ever watched a match with Darren Bent playing - that guy was born offside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Bad as it looks, it does not compare to when Djbril Cisse was here :eek:

One thing I cannot understand, we spend money on Llana, when he plays he appears to play well, yet as well as not making the starting 11 yesterday, he did not even make it on as a sub :(
    Funnily enough, I felt the same way about Lambert yesterday morning, why exactly did Brendan buy him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't ever believe anything you read in the Mirror.

I find it funny that people keep blaming goalkeepers and defenders when its clear that the real issue is defensive midfield. There is nobody there to jump on a breaking ball or cut out a pass.

Also tactically there are some issues. The set up for corners is not good. There is nobody up the field at all, everybody is back defending. It means that even when a ball is cleared that the opposition are on the attack once again. I just don't understand why Sterling is not left out the field a bit to try and use his pace to break from a cleared ball.

Mind blowing isn't it? And Stevie taking corners while Raheem & Joe Allen are in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I agree with this he is used to playing with a striking partner and being the one that comes deep for the ball and not he most forward player.

We all know playing on his own up front does not suit his style.

The manager for whatever reason doesn't want to or can't see it... both are not good signs in my eyes.

It's completely baffling to me how he persists with this. The only conclusion is that he feels he needs to pack the midfield to protect the defence, which is obviously not working.

Would he not try putting Lallana behind Balotelli and Borini? Maybe Can, Lucas and Henderson in midfield...

There are some good and very good players in the squad, Rodgers has none of them playing well?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

B17FGEcIIAEMmHr.jpg

"It’s not difficult to coach to just get 10 players right on your 18-yard box." Rodgers.

For any team,that's shocking defending,who exactly are the Liverpool players marking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

djPSB wrote: »
    He has far more quality in the squad but far less quality in the first 11 due to the absence of Suarez and Sturridge.

Everyone is in agreement that results this season haven't been good enough. It's just a matter of whether fans believe he can get things back on track with time.

It's a matter of that plus how much time you might wait. What people's squeal point is essentially with regards to an extended run of poor performances and results.

He has two weeks to figure out something for Palace. A loss there would be very concerning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hernandez was the worst player I have ever seen for it.

Balotelli is still fairly bad though.

There can be only one

cnimgdotsulekhadotcom_Inzaghi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kryogen wrote: »
    There can be only one

The difference between Inzaghi,Hernandez & Mario is that 2 out of that 3 scored goals and moved around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

kryogen wrote: »
    There can be only one

:D

We have a winner.

Cisse and Bent we're bad but Inzaghi was never onside.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    B17FGEcIIAEMmHr.jpg

"It’s not difficult to coach to just get 10 players right on your 18-yard box." Rodgers.

For any team,that's shocking defending,who exactly are the Liverpool players marking?

That quote has nothing to do with the picture...better suited to the humour thread for a couple of thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

KingJamsie wrote: »
    [/B]

Mind blowing isn't it? And Stevie taking corners while Raheem & Joe Allen are in the box

We got loads of goals from Gerard's corners last season. Didn't see any issue then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That quote has nothing to do with the picture...better suited to the humour thread for a couple of thanks.

While not specifically related to the picture, the quote is very relevant to this season.

When our manager had Suarez tearing up trees in the attacking stakes, he was quite arrogant in the view that's it's easy to get a team to be just solid/organised & not concede goals if that's all they were interested in.
    Yet this season we can stop conceding from silly set pieces because we are absolutely completely unable to be in any way solid/organised & it's costing us points virtually week in/week out.

I think it was a very constructive intelligent debate starter myself.

We got loads of goals from Gerard's corners last season. Didn't see any issue then.

We need to stop talking about last season...it's dead and gone.

There's an issue with them NOW. They're shit.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's a matter of that plus how much time you might wait. What people's squeal point is essentially with regards to an extended run of poor performances and results.

He has two weeks to figure out something for Palace. A loss there would be very concerning.

Personally, I'd give him until at least the end of the season.

It's hard to know when the correct time is to pull the trigger.

What your thoughts on Klopp and Dortmund in the relegation zone. Do you think his time is limited there or should he be given more time.

What your thoughts on Klopp and Dortmund in the relegation zone. Do you think his time is limited there or should he be given more time.

I think only a fool would not think Klopp deserves substantially more patience than Rodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

No but if defending is so easy (according to Rodgers) then why are we so bad at it?

This season is starting to resemble Rodgers season with Reading he spent big there (relative to their budget) and refused to adapt, constantly stating work harder and it would get better and it cost him.His blind belief in a single system could be his downfall again.

Balotelli offers no movement which nullifies any threat Gerrards passing range gives and puts pressure on midfield and therefore the defence. The quick interplay and transitions from last season are gone and it's all one dimensional.

If there is no improvement in next 5 league games watch the pressure ratchet up.

There is a huge difference Klopp is a proven winner!!

Rodgers has won nothing at the 4 clubs he has managed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In that picture, Gerrard should get back onside or we'll never score from that attacking corner.

We should be out of the running for CL spots at this stage, or at least have a mountain to climb.

Luckily the other teams challenging are almost as shít as us.

I still doubt we'll get it anyway unless a top striker is signed in Jan to play alongside Sturridge

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think only a fool would not think Klopp deserves substantially more patience than Rodgers

Do you think Klopp would have got us within a whisker of winning the PL last season?

Not a hope.

Do you think Klopp would have got us within a whisker of winning the PL last season?

Not a hope.

With Suarez in his team?

Yes I think he could have.

Do you think Rodgers is a more proven manager than Klopp? :confused:

Not a hope.

I know it's all hypothetical stuff, but wondering how you came to this conclusion.

There is a huge difference Klopp is a proven winner!!

Rodgers has won nothing at the 4 clubs he has managed.

But it's a results driven business regardless of who you are is what they say.

• Advertisement

Not a hope.

Are you saying Rodgers is a better manager than Klopp??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking back at the game yesterday many of Rodgers decisions were mind boggling. Playing Balotelli up front alone for 70 mins then replacing him with borini instead of playing them both up top.
    Also taking off Can when he was the best midfielder was another one.
    Coutinho was very poor for the 2nd goal (Johnson going AWOL didn't help) and in my eyes he is a flat track bully or impact sub, bar the 5-1 win vs arsenal this year he hasn't performed against the big teams. Lambert offered nothing and him falling over himself was comical.

Rodgers needs to start delivering soon or I'm certain he will be gone next summer. FSG are business people and ain't gone put up with it.

No but if defending is so easy (according to Rodgers) then why are we so bad at it?

This season is starting to resemble Rodgers season with Reading he spent big there (relative to their budget) and refused to adapt, constantly stating work harder and it would get better and it cost him.His blind belief in a single system could be his downfall again.

Balotelli offers no movement which nullifies any threat Gerrards passing range gives and puts pressure on midfield and therefore the defence. The quick interplay and transitions from last season are gone and it's all one dimensional.

If there is no improvement in next 5 league games watch the pressure ratchet up.

He was talking about a specific type of defending, which he has never tried to implement at the club.

Not a hope.

Put down the glass, bit early for that isn't it?

With Suarez in his team?

Yes I think he could have.

Do you think Rodgers is a more proven manager than Klopp? :confused:

No. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

But one manager sitting in the relegation zone supposedly deserves more time than a manager who guided the team to second in the world's most competitive league last season and currently just 4 points off CL spots while playing appallingly.

Are you saying Rodgers is a better manager than Klopp??

Who said that :confused:

I am drawing parallels between their similar situations.

Both find themselves under pressure.

But one manager sitting in the relegation zone supposedly deserves more time than a manager who guided the team to second in the world's most competitive league last season and currently just 4 points off CL spots while playing appallingly.

Having one poor first season, then one excellent season and a poor start to he 3rd season does not equate to being a league winning manager, serial qualification for the CL, and a final appearance and some deep runs in that as well. One has earned more leeway than the other or do you think both managers achievements are on a par?

No "supposedly" about it. He definitely deserves more time/patience than Rodgers based on his record at the club when compared to Rodgers 1 good season at Liverpool.

Rodgers as a manager.

Watford left them after 6 months saved them from relegation.

Reading sacked after 6 months after spending a lot of money and refusing to change his style. leaving them in thr relegation zone.

Swansea took over at a well built team with a playing style started by a former manager and carried on by others who took over to this day. Brought them into the preimer league via the play offs.

Preimer league era as manager 11th with Swansea then joins Liverpool to finish 7th, 2nd & ?.

Can Liverpool afford to giver him time I think we can till the end of the season. But if we finish 7th again his time will be up one way or another.

• Advertisement

Looking back at the game yesterday many of Rodgers decisions were mind boggling. Playing Balotelli up front alone for 70 mins then replacing him with borini instead of playing them both up top.
    Coutinho was very poor for the 2nd goal (Johnson going AWOL didn't help) and in my eyes he is a flat track bully or impact sub, bar the 5-1 win vs arsenal this year he hasn't performed against the big teams. Lambert offered nothing and him falling over himself was comical.

Rodgers needs to start delivering soon or I'm certain he will be gone next summer. FSG are business people and ain't gone put up with it.

This is going on for 3 months now, (1 up top) It's getting weird tbh

Stop watching Sky!

No "supposedly" about it. He definitely deserves more time/patience than Rodgers based on his record at the club when compared to Rodgers 1 good season at Liverpool.

That's one good season out of two.

People need to remember that in his first season, he inherited a squad that comprised of Spearing, Adam, Carroll etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Thought Coutinho played quite well myself, him and Can were the only players really willing to get forward from midfield. He's not a fullback, he was back trying to cover and he did slow Azpi down, Johnson should have been back quicker to help prevent the cross.

Just to re-iterate a point I made the other day. The poster above is saying Rodgers got us to within a whisker of the league last year. It's looking increasingly like Suarez was the main reason for our fortunes last season, with Rodgers just along for the ride like the rest of us.

The next few weeks will show us one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm all for giving Rodgers time. My worry is that if we don't improve our champions league tenure could be over very quickly.

Surely losing the CL money could be more damaging.

• Advertisement

People need to remember that in his first season, he inherited a squad that comprised of Spearing, Adam, Carroll etc.

He has spent over £200m and the squad isn't much better now.

He also ostracised him, and shipped him out leaving us short on strikers.

People need to remember that we've spent over a quarter of a billion quid since & the squad & first team are not really improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

He has spent over £200m and the squad isn't much better now.

Squad is better as a whole, but 1-11 obviously is far worse off without Suarez.

... that said, we still should be dishing out better performances than we are. Simple as that. Can look at individuals all we like, GJ can't defend, Skrtel is a liability, Lovern is 25m waste, Gerards legs are gone ... but its a numbers game too and we simply carry too many players out of form to produce a cohesive team. 11 players fighting for eachother can dig out some good results - take QPR for example yesterday. Couldn't fault them for their passion.

... when was last time we said that until the "reserves" played Tuesday night?

Just to re-iterate a point I made the other day. The post above is saying Rodgers got us to within a whisker of the league last year. It's looking increasingly like Suarez was the main reason for our fortunes last season, with Rodgers just along for the ride like the rest of us.

That's the same Suarez that scored 11 PL goals the season before Rodgers arrived. Rodgers deserves credit for Suarez' improved performances although others may not agree. To quote Luis himself:

'Over the first few weeks, that idea was the basis of the work we did with Brendan, the first of the building blocks in constructing a new approach. From the start, it convinced me. It made sense. And although the results weren’t good, I could see that we were playing better. I was excited.

The new style suited me. Playing in England where all the centre-backs are tall and strong, the long punt up the pitch is no good to me, but a quick ball to release me either side of them works well. Mostly, I need the ball on the floor and Brendan knew that and he also worked with me on the movements I could make to isolate defenders. He was confident that if I could take them on one-on-one, I would be likely to beat them. He was keen to play to my strengths and my style suited his.

He knew that I’m a very instinctive player who plays on intuition. He knew that if he put me in as a static number nine, waiting for the wingers to put crosses in, I’d be no good.

Not no good, in fact, but worse than that – I’m not there. He knew that I’m a mobile striker and that a lot of the time you’ll find me outside the area, looking for space, moving. I won’t be there as a target for two wide men to aim crosses at.'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement