Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

djPSB wrote: »
    No. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

But one manager sitting in the relegation zone supposedly deserves more time than a manager who guided the team to second in the world's most competitive league last season and currently just 4 points off CL spots while playing appallingly.

The league was actually not that strong last year, Klopp has won titles in Germany beating the mighty Muncih, he has also taken a team to the final of the Champions League and he is having no trouble qualifying his team from the group stages even with the injury problems they are having.

Rodgers has talent as a manager, but to rank him higher then Klopp at this point is simply bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He has spent over £200m and the squad isn't much better now.

The squad is a lot better. The first 11 is not, bit it's not easy replace a player like Suarez. Injuries to Sturridge haven't helped.

We've lost 50% of our goals from last season (Suarez+Sturridge) and regardless of much money is spent, that is not easy to replace.

Of all the money that was spent this summer, Lovren and Balotelli are the only ones I would say are not going to contribute much going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rodgers as a manager.

Watford left them after 6 months saved them from relegation.

Reading sacked after 6 months after spending a lot of money and refusing to change his style. leaving them in thr relegation zone.

Swansea took over at a well built team with a playing style started by a former manager and carried on by others who took over to this day. Brought them into the preimer league via the play offs.

Preimer league era as manager 11th with Swansea then joins Liverpool to finish 7th, 2nd & ?.

Can Liverpool afford to giver him time I think we can till the end of the season. But if we finish 7th again his time will be up one way or another.

And attitudes like this are why Tottenham have been a perpetual failure.

kryogen wrote: »
    The league was actually not that strong last year, Klopp has won titles in Germany beating the mighty Muncih, he has also taken a team to the final of the Champions League and he is having no trouble qualifying his team from the group stages even with the injury problems they are having.

Rodgers has talent as a manager, but to rank him higher then Klopp at this point is simply bizarre

Not for a second suggesting Rodgers is better than Klopp.

But Liverpool punched way above their weight last season in almost winning a title. Rodgers deserves alot of credit for this or maybe it was all just down to Suarez as is being suggested by some.

Very few managers would have achieved what Rodgers achieved with Liverpool last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gbear wrote: »
    And attitudes like this are why Tottenham have been a perpetual failure.

And Chelsea are perpetual winners with the same attitude.

And Chelsea are perpetual winners with the same attitude.

It has nothing to do with the billions they have pumped into the squad. All down to the fact that the switch managers every second season

Also, the day that LFC adopt a similar philosophy to Chelsea will be the day I will never set foot in Anfield again!

It has nothing to do with the billions they have pumped into the squad. All down to the fact that the switch managers every second season.

We pumped close to £600m into the squad since Rafa became manager 10 years ago when they first won the league.

Billions???

How many billions have Chelsea spent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But Liverpool punched way above their weight last season in almost winning a title. Rodgers deserves alot of credit for this or maybe it was all just down to Suarez as is being suggested by some.

How come Liverpool appear incapable of even punching to their own weight this season if Rodgers was the catalyst for last seasons over performance?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Just to re-iterate a point I made the other day. The poster above is saying Rodgers got us to within a whisker of the league last year. It's looking increasingly like Suarez was the main reason for our fortunes last season, with Rodgers just along for the ride like the rest of us.

The next few weeks will show us one way or another.

You forget about. Sturridge :)
    Far more consistent over last season than Suarez was.

Augeo wrote: »
    You forget about. Sturridge :)
    Far more consistent over last season than Suarez was.

A player Rodgers didn't even really want by most accounts. His only really successful transfer.

Disagree very much that Sturridge was more consistent that Suarez last season. In fact, I suspect Sturridge was one of the biggest benefactors of Suarez being at the club. We'll see.

• Advertisement

A player Rodgers didn't even really want by most accounts. His only really successful transfer.

I have no problem looking at both the positives and negatives of Rodgers tenure to date.

But you are hell-bent on focusing on the negatives only.

... Nothing to do with my point, your post that I quoted suggested Suarez was the sole reason for last year's title challenge. When called on it you bring in the rubbish I am now quoting to suit your blinkered view :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No but if defending is so easy (according to Rodgers) then why are we so bad at it?

This season is starting to resemble Rodgers season with Reading he spent big there (relative to their budget) and refused to adapt, constantly stating work harder and it would get better and it cost him.His blind belief in a single system could be his downfall again.

Balotelli offers no movement which nullifies any threat Gerrards passing range gives and puts pressure on midfield and therefore the defence. The quick interplay and transitions from last season are gone and it's all one dimensional.

If there is no improvement in next 5 league games watch the pressure ratchet up.

+1

There's a couple of posters here who'll treat anything I post with disdain & suspicion then thank each other.
    So one suggests I post it in the humour thread:rolleyes: I know his form so I disregard anything he posts.

People are discussing Liverpool's poor defending,I post a picture showing just how bad it is from a simple set piece and a couple get offended - go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We should go in for Arek Milik. Guy is the next Lewandovski. Another great finish today, scoring a lot this season and is on loan so presumably parent club (think it's Leverkusen?) should be up for an offer.

lt always amazes me how these goalscorer types don't get snapped up. Huntelaar is another example, scores everywhere he goes. Milik would be awesome

Disagree very much that Sturridge was more consistent that Suarez last season. In fact, I suspect Sturridge was one of the biggest benefactors of Suarez being at the club. We'll see.

Sturridge did just fine when Suarez wasn't on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Watching the WBA game, I'd kill to even have Wisdom back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

zerks wrote: »
    +1

There's a couple of posters here who'll treat anything I post with disdain & suspicion then thank each other.
    So one suggests I post it in the humour thread:rolleyes: I know his form so I disregard anything he posts.

People are discussing Liverpool's poor defending,I post a picture showing just how bad it is from a simple set piece and a couple get offended - go figure.

I'm pretty sure it's every poster, and there is a very good reason for that.

I have no problem looking at both the positives and negatives of Rodgers tenure to date.

But you are hell-bent on focusing on the negatives only.

Positives:

1) Deals with the media well
    2) Likes attacking football
    3) Understands the ethos of the club

Negatives:

1) Shocking record in transfer market
    2) Struggles to attract big name players
    3) Tactically naive
    4) Tactically inflexible
    5) Defensive coaching (or lack thereof)
    6) Talks ****e

A fairly fair summary as things stand IMO

Whatever about the rest of the negatives # 6 surely applies to almost every manager.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure it's every poster, and there is a very good reason for that.

And along comes another of the gang.....only a couple more to go & ye'll all be here.;)

Now get back on topic like a good man & take your digs to twitter.:rolleyes:

Positives:

4) Had Suarez as a player

Negatives:

3) Tactically naive
    4) Tactically inflexible
    6) Talks ****e
    7) Doesn't have Suarez as a player now.

Added one extra point to each.

Positives:

Negatives:

3) Tactically naive
    4) Tactically inflexible
    6) Talks ****e

Do one for rafa there for the LOLs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Positives:

Negatives:

3) Tactically naive
    4) Tactically inflexible
    6) Talks ****e

Not bad at all. I am getting fairly bored of his after match interviews (they seem to follow the same script) and its a bit emperors new clothes feel to the whole thing. Time he went, I believe. A bit sad overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

zerks wrote: »
    And along comes another of the gang.....only a couple more to go & ye'll all be here.;)

Now get back on topic like a good man & take your digs to twitter.:rolleyes:

And back you go to RAWK.

Do one for rafa there for the LOLs

What the **** does Rafa have to do with anything? :confused:

• Advertisement

How come Liverpool appear incapable of even punching to their own weight this season if Rodgers was the catalyst for last seasons over performance?

The loss of sturridge and Suarez, quite simple really.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of the negatives # 6 surely applies to almost every manager.

Rodgers more so than most tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Watching the WBA game, I'd kill to even have Wisdom back

Think if the club thought Manquillo would end up playing so many games this season they would have kept Wisdom for this playing time. Just been unlucky that Flanagan has been out for such a lengthy period.

When we lose I would like to see Colin Pascoe or Mike Marsh do the post match interview and say something like the manager is in there talking to the players.

It would better than having the manager out giving it the usual we were this that and the other great.

And back you go to RAWK.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What the **** does Rafa have to do with anything? :confused:

Much the same as your post about Rodgers not wanting sturridge.

Id like to see your pros and cons on rafa for some visibility on your critiqueing capability.

The loss of sturridge and Suarez, quite simple really.

Suarez was not adequately replaced.

Sturridge is an incredibly injury prone player but yet we do not have sufficient back up.

The fault for both those things lies with Rodgers.

Much the same as your post about Rodgers not wanting sturridge. Id like to see your pros and cons on rafa for some visibility on your critiqueing capability.

You're literally not making any sense.

Rodgers more so than most tbh.

C'mon, you can't take what managers say in public seriously. Fergie & Mourinhio come to mind as recent successful managers that talked complete nonsense. Wenger never sees incidents, etc etc.

He's certainly guilty of the other stuff but I take what he says with a large piece of salt

You're literally not making any sense.

The pros and cons for rafa aren't forthcoming so :)
    Quel surprise.

Quel surprise.

In fairness, what has Rafa got to do with the debate? :confused:

Quel surprise.

They're not forthcoming because Rafa is not our manager nor is he likely to ever be our manager again. As such any pros/cons list in this thread at the moment would do nothing other than distract the conversation away from Rodgers current failings as our manager.

Positives:

4) Took the club to second in the PL
    5) CL football for the first time in 5 years

Negatives:

1) Shocking record in transfer market - Not true
    2) Struggles to attract big name players - Or maybe the club aren't providing the resources to attract big names
    3) Tactically naive Area for improvement
    4) Tactically inflexible - Perhaps this season. Last season Rodgers used various formations to outwit the opposition. Diamond, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc.
    5) Defensive coaching (or lack thereof) - Area for improvement
    6) Talks ****e - Null point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Much the same as your post about Rodgers not wanting sturridge.

Id like to see your pros and cons on rafa for some visibility on your critiqueing capability.

If he really compared Rafa to Rodgers then you'd be crying to have Rafa back tomorrow. On a completely different level.

I really hope Rodgers proves me wrong and does reach the heights that we want for the club.

1) Shocking record in transfer market - Not true

2) Struggles to attract big name players - Or maybe the club aren't providing the resources to attract big names

1)I really don't know how you can say Rodgers hasn't been shocking in the transfer market. He has been.

2) The club gave him £220m to spend that is providing resources to attract big names is it not?

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    C'mon, you can't take what managers say in public seriously. Fergie & Mourinhio come to mind as recent successful managers that talked complete nonsense. Wenger never sees incidents, etc etc.

He's certainly guilty of the other stuff but I take what he says with a large piece of salt

I'm not talking about the usual **** managers come out with. I'm talking about this kinda stuff;

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/157398/top-20-brilliantly-cringeworthy-brendan-rodgers-quotes.html

Don't get me wrong, it's not near his biggest failing, just rubs me up the wrong way to hear him pontificating while the team looks increasingly clueless.

If he really compared Rafa to Rodgers then you'd be crying to have Rafa back tomorrow. On a completely different level.

....[/QUOTE

Rafa is currently at his level

The fact you can't admit how poor we've been in the transfer market really negates everything you say.

Honestly, our record is just appalling since Rodgers has come in.

We pumped close to £600m into the squad since Rafa became manager 10 years ago when they first won the league.

There's a difference between having the money to make a top quality side which you can top up with a couple of world class players every year and having a load of ****, not being able to buy top quality talent, not being able to play top class wages and having to constantly play catch-up.

1)I really don't know how you can say Rodgers hasn't been shocking in the transfer market. He has been.

You'd swear they all just came in, flopped and left or something.

15 of those he's signed currently make up our squad and at least 1 more will be coming back from his loan spell to come straight into the team (Origi is a certainty, Illori is a possibility).

Gerrard, Skretl, Lucas, Johnson, Jones, Suso, Flanno, Enrique, Hendo, Wisdom and Sterling are the ones left he inherited but all but 3 or 4 will be gone within 2 years.

He's had to build an almost entirely new squad.

The failures have either been loans - so other than a missed opportunity in Sahin, they don't matter, or we're going to make almost the entire fee back.

He's done perfectly fine in the market. People's problem is that our entire strategy (which is dictated by FSG and our financial situation) mostly isn't to buy players who're the finished article.

But getting in another manager won't change that. It's dictated to Rodgers by the club's hierarchy and it'd be the same with anyone else.

The notion that Rodgers has been a failure in the market is a myth being peddled by a football media aimed at illiterate morons.

The fact you can't admit how poor we've been in the transfer market really negates everything you say.

Honestly, our record is just appalling since Rodgers has come in.

Shocking would be too strong of a word. It's been hit and miss like most managers.

As a matter of interest, why were you so keen to give Kenny more time on the back of his League Cup victory yet so keen to up the pressure on Rodgers? Surely the same principles should apply to both situations.

Gbear wrote: »
    The notion that Rodgers has been a failure in the market is a myth being peddled a football media aimed at illiterate morons.

No it's not.

Shocking would be too strong of a word. It's been hit and miss like most managers.

As a matter of interest, why were you so keen to give Kenny more time on the back of his League Cup victory yet so keen to up the pressure on Rodgers? Surely the same principles should apply to both situations.

Hit and Miss..

Brendan Rodgers has brought in 25 player as manager and spent £230 bringing these players in full time or on loan.

5 of those player maybe a hit.

He has been shocking bad in the transfer market.

Billions???

How many billions have Chelsea spent?

They surpassed the 1 billion mark this year.

http://www.givemesport.com/182523-abramovich-1bn-well-spent-at-chelsea

• Advertisement

No it's not.

Well you couldnt agree to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement