Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Link not working now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Augeo wrote: »
    so considerig the wage structure etc what would have brought the few top notch players that were needed?

Hard to know really,the ones needed were just kids or not even born the last time Liverpool won the league so history means nothing to them (look at City)

Money is the main motivation these days,I'm sure Rodgers would have been better served buying 2 or 3 top notch players,especially a striker than doing "A Spurs" and filling out the squad with players who are average or prospects.
    Perhaps it's an American philosophy to get young players who might come good & be worth multiples of the original fee,that was the case at United and wasn't exactly successful,hence the big fees now being paid for Di Maria & to a lesser extent Falcao-both players at their peak.

@Rarnes,the counter attacking style depended on Suarez & Sturridge.The main man is gone & Rodgers doesn't seem to have a plan B & is gone back to the style of his first season - a style that many of you seriously doubted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Benzino wrote: »
    For those saying to go out and sign a top class striker in January, who do you suggest that will realistically join Liverpool? Because I'm struggling to think of any top striker who would consider us an upgrade on their present situation.

Arek Milik. I said it yesterday, guy is a goal machine and would tear it up in our system. His team would sell and his price will only go up with his international form. I think he'd consider us an upgrade also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Balotelli misses a striking partner to run into the open spaces he leaves coming deep for the ball draging defenders with him.

Those are the spaces Coutinho can put his through balls into.

Yep, we should see more from Mario with Sturridge back.
    zerks wrote: »
    Hard to know really,the ones needed were just kids or not even born the last time Liverpool won the league so history means nothing to them (look at City)

Money is the main motivation these days,I'm sure Rodgers would have been better served buying 2 or 3 top notch players,especially a striker than doing "A Spurs" and filling out the squad with players who are average or prospects.
    Perhaps it's an American philosophy to get young players who might come good & be worth multiples of the original fee,that was the case at United and wasn't exactly successful,hence the big fees now being paid for Di Maria & to a lesser extent Falcao-both players at their peak.

@Rarnes,the counter attacking style depended on Suarez & Sturridge.The main man is gone & Rodgers doesn't seem to have a plan B & is gone back to the style of his first season - a style that many of you seriously doubted.

The 2 main men have been gone!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The problem for Sterling this season imo is,
    When Sterling takes on a player and gets by him there's another defender waiting. Last season when he got past the first defender there was more open space as Sturridge and Suarez had dragged other defenders elsewhere.
    Balotelli in his current guise is just so easy to mark.

Similar story for Couthinho. He's at his best playing delicate weighted through balls but right now that option isn't available.

Too often lately Balotelli or Sterling are on the edge of the box with defenders either side. For a through ball to reach them in this static position will need crap defending as much as a quality pass.

Trying to thread the eye of a needle us the phrase that comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

benny79 wrote: »
    Can people tell me why he took Can off for Joe fcuking Allen! He was our best people by far on sat absolutely shocking Sub and I heard Rodgers was getting Booed when he subbed Courtinho and rightly so! I have lost all faith in Rodgers now, There's no way Johnson or Lovern should of started especially since the other lads put in a great performance Tues like what do they have to do to get a start!

Can looked goosed in fairness. The subbing off of Coutinho was more strange in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

8-10 wrote: »
    Arek Milik. I said it yesterday, guy is a goal machine and would tear it up in our system. His team would sell and his price will only go up with his international form. I think he'd consider us an upgrade also

I see he is on loan from Leverkusen, not sure they'd want to see yet another promising young player to LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Speaking of Leverkusen, putting in a bid for Son might be worthwhile. Seems to be doing pretty well for himself these days.

If we were willing to change our wage structure, Khedria would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

In defence of Gerrard, in two of those passages he's fcuked due to bad passing by teammtaes. First by everyone's favourite rb, then by everyone's favourite cb.
    Whilst Chelsea's midfield is better than Liverpool as a unit and individually Gerrard had the same problem v Newcastle. Too slow to turn. In that gane he body checked the Newcastle runner and should have been blown for frees on 2-3 occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I second that, hes a fabulous player and a definate star in the making. I do think hes been rather underused at Ajax which is a bit odd considering the poor form of Sigthorrsson but Milik would cost very little considering how sparingly Ajax have used him and the league he is in, he is guaranteed to score goals and hes also at a good age to be thrown into the mix having gotten a taste of International football and the champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

joe123 wrote: »
    Can looked goosed in fairness. The subbing off of Coutinho was more strange in my opinion.

Coutinho was lost out there. Matic and Fabregas had him nullified for the second half. I didnt mind so much who Rodgers brought off as no-one really made an impact but to bring on Allen & Lambert ahead of Lallana was baffling.

It is noticeable how Gerrard is now like an oil tanker all right, just a bit grim seeing him lumbering about easily by passed with a bit of 'one-two' by the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It is noticeable how Gerrard is now like an oil tanker all right, just a bit grim seeing him lumbering about easily by passed with a bit of 'one-two' by the opposition.
    What's scary is that he's still our best midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Looks like the effort put in last season when Gerrard was at full tilt for every game from Xmas on and then the World Cup is really hurting him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Replace Gerrard & Manquillo with Henderson & Flanagan and I would agree with you.

Well to be fair Flanagan isnt fit.
    Henderson playing terribly at present and I feel Gerrard has something to offer IF he has someone like Can or Lucas covering DM, a bit like the way Matic does for Chelsea.
    Can sitting with Gerrard spraying passes, we have 4 attackers, and attacking full backs, and still have cover in MF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I haven't seen him to be honest so can't really comment, but he is only 20 years of age, would seem like another potential signing when really we need somebody to step in and deliver us top quality now.

In saying that, he does seem an interesting player, so sign him up on the cheap anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

http://vimeo.com/111345310 such a clumsy bandwidth hogger website compared to youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Also isn't working..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What's scary is that he's still our best midfielder.

Wouldn't agree with that. If I had to pick someone to play DM he'd be 3rd on my list behind Lucas and Allen. If I had to pick someone to play CM he'd be behind Henderson, if I had to pick someone to play attacking mid he'd be behind Countinho and Lallana. Those are definites for me. At this stage I'd be strongly tempted to have Can and even Lallana in ahead of him as CM. Honestly struggle to see what he brings to the table at this stage and in our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I was very disappointed that Rodgers didn't stick more with the team that played against Madrid. Some players deserve an extended rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree. cant see how he's getting a game week in week out just cause its stevie G! Thats the difference between good managers and get ones! Mourinho had no problem dropping lamps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers lack of experience is showing so far this season he is learning on the job as he goes and the more this run goes the harder it will be for him to make the big calls.

I can deal with lack of experience. I cannot deal with lack of humility and that, imo, will be his downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rodgers lack of experience is showing so far this season he is learning on the job as he goes and the more this run goes the harder it will be for him to make the big calls.

It won't. If he doesn't make some big calls soonish he'll find himself out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

This international break comes at a good time. Need to re-group now and think about best team and shape to go into the next series of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

NEDDURC wrote: »
    This international break comes at a good time. Need to re-group now and think about best team and shape to go into the next series of games.

I think this was said by loads at the last international break. We got 4 points out of 12 and lost twice in CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I think this was said by loads at the last international break. We got 4 points out of 12 and lost twice in CL.

Hopefully sturridge coming back to fitness as opposed to coming back injured will be the difference between the two breaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Our new CB at Anfield today Fella.

7tMLBrV.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

brevity wrote: »
    I can deal with lack of experience. I cannot deal with lack of humility and that, imo, will be his downfall.

Jesus youd swear he carries on like Mourhino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

https://twitter.com/squawka/status/531816817371934721

Player with the most errors so far this season? Lovren :rolleyes: couldn't write it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we have a awful habit of signing players who crap themselves after signing, these players are not crap players..for whatever reason they hide once signed .

peters needs to be recalled pronto

Jesus youd swear he carries on like Mourhino.

When he is as successful as Mourinho then he can be as arrogant as he wants. At the moment his arrogance and stubborness is costing us points.

He needs to get in help and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The most frustrating thing about this for me isn't actually Johnson.

What has been our issue all season crops up again here - players not providing options. Look at Can, he runs himself into a position where he can't receive the ball. All he had to do was pull wide into that acre of space, and Johnson suddenly has a simple, but still forward, pass.

It's been the same every game, they're not helping each other out at all. We were absolutely great at it last season, and we've just stopped doing it this year.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing about this for me isn't actually Johnson.

What has been our issue all season crops up again here - players not providing options. Look at Can, he runs himself into a position where he can't receive the ball. All he had to do was pull wide into that acre of space, and Johnson suddenly has a simple, but still forward, pass.

It's been the same every game, they're not helping each other out at all. We were absolutely great at it last season, and we've just stopped doing it this year.

Good point actually. This happened to Marcovic when he played against Madrid. No one supporting him or offering options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I see Berahino didn't score yesterday. Phew, dodged a bullet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mosstin wrote: »
    I see Berahino didn't score yesterday. Phew, dodged a bullet there.

Can't believe we didn't sign Charlie Austin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

MD1990 wrote: »
    Im fully behind Rodgers. But some of the stuff he comes out really comes back to haunt him.

Hyping up Joe Allen as Liverpool's Xavi - Allen goes on a terrible run of form

Saying with the money Spurs spent they would have expected to be challenging for the PL - We just gone & done a Spurs type season so far.

Said the new signings from Southampton will settle quickly as they have a similar style of play & that we expect to challenge for the PL title again. - Says the players will need time & that losing 80% of our goals from last season was always going to mean a decline.

Said with CL we will attract top class players - We cant attract them now because of location lol. The truth is apart from Sanchez we actually got all our targets imo. Lovren & Lallana were two #1 targets according to the Echo.

Agreed.

He doesn't help himself.

Mr Alan wrote:
    The fact you can't admit how poor we've been in the transfer market really negates everything you say.

Honestly, our record is just appalling since Rodgers has come in.
    djPSB wrote: »
    Shocking would be too strong of a word. It's been hit and miss like most managers.

As a matter of interest, why were you so keen to give Kenny more time on the back of his League Cup victory yet so keen to up the pressure on Rodgers? Surely the same principles should apply to both situations.

Paging Mr. Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

[/B]

Paging Mr. Alan.

I have to say I have backed every LFC manager bar Roy hodgson . But so mr Alan why do you want the manager sacked now ?

I don't think Mr Alan said he wanted him sacked. He is simply critical of his performance this year.

I don't think Mr Alan said he wanted him sacked. He is simply critical of his performance this year.

Yet backed Kenny to the hilt when in a similar situation?

I have to say I have backed every LFC manager bar Roy hodgson . But so mr Alan why do you want the manager sacked now ?

He has stated clearly on this thread that he doesn't want BR sacked.

He has also said that he fears that BR will be sacked unless our performances start to improve.

Where has he said that he wants the manager sacked?

Ah now, it's easier to gloss over uncomfortable questions if you make up stuff.

I cant really speak for him but I'd hazard a guess that due to Kenny's experience, perhaps he felt Kenny warranted more time to get it right. As does Rodgers BTW but perhaps for different reasons.

No one wants him sacked, that doesn't mean he won't be if he doesn't turn things around.

[/B]

Paging Mr. Alan.

He never said he wanted him sacked.

He said performances need to improve and his record in the transfer window was pretty poor afaik. Both correct tbf

Am I right in thinking that you too were involved in the debate about the Dortmund manager yesterday?

Can you honestly not understand why someone like Dalglish or Klopp would be afforded more time than a young manager like BR?

I am not advocating for a second that BR shouldn't be given more time by the way. I am just in disbelief that some posters here can't see how, say, BR and Dalglish might be treated slightly differently by fans or by the owners. Crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Correct.

There is not enough critical analysis of the situation we find ourselves in. The manager is central to this issue. He calls the shots and gets paid a hell of a lot of money to do so.

Many here, continually cheer on the manager as if it should be part of being a fan....though shalt not criticise the manager no matter what. We did the same for Hodgsen for a while, Kenny for a hell of a long time, and here we go again.

We are all happy to drone on about other managers being central to their team problems (Moyes at Utd, Wenger's purchase policy, AVB when he was at spurs) but never the Liverpool manager.

I cant really speak for him but I'd hazard a guess that due to Kenny's experience, perhaps he felt Kenny warranted more time to get it right. As does Rodgers BTW...

No one wants him sacked, that doesn't mean he won't be if he doesn't turn things around.

Kenny's record:
    Liverpool
    Football League First Division (3): 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90
    FA Cup (2): 1985–86, 1988–89
    League Cup (1): 2011–12
    Super Cup (1): 1985–86
    FA Charity Shield (4): 1986,[86] 1988,[87] 1989,[88] 1990[89]

Blackburn Rovers
    Premier League (1): 1994–95
    Football League Second Division Play Off Winners (1): 1991–92

Celtic
    Scottish League Cup (1): 1999–2000[81]

BR's Record:
    Swansea City
    Football League Championship play-offs: 2010–11[28]

The immediate response will be that Kenny's successes are all from the 80/90's with the exception of the League Cup.

I think it is clear as day why Alan would have thought that Kenny should have been given more time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement