Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Damien360 wrote: »

There is not enough critical analysis of the situation we find ourselves in.

There hasn't been on this thread for the past 2 seasons. If someone questions BR event slightly, they are literally mobbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kenny's record:
    Liverpool
    Football League First Division (3): 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90
    FA Cup (2): 1985–86, 1988–89
    League Cup (1): 2011–12
    Super Cup (1): 1985–86
    FA Charity Shield (4): 1986,[86] 1988,[87] 1989,[88] 1990[89]

Blackburn Rovers
    Premier League (1): 1994–95
    Football League Second Division Play Off Winners (1): 1991–92

Celtic
    Scottish League Cup (1): 1999–2000[81]

BR's Record:
    Swansea City
    Football League Championship play-offs: 2010–11[28]

The immediate response will be that Kenny's successes are all from the 80/90's with the exception of the League Cup.

I think it is clear as day why Alan would have thought that Kenny should have been given more time.

So at this moment in time, Kenny is a better manager than BR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

There hasn't been on this thread for the past 2 seasons. If someone questions BR event slightly, they are literally mobbed.

who's doing the mobbing now.

Can Alan not speak for himself? No need for all his unofficial spokesmen.

djPSB wrote: »
    So at this moment in time, Kenny is a better manager than BR?

What simplistic logic. I don't think that anyone here would make that claim.

What simplistic logic. I don't think that anyone here would make that claim.

Well then your logic is flawed.

You claimed it was correct to back Kenny, while questions should be asked of Rodgers future. While admitting Kenny is the inferior manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He has stated clearly on this thread that he doesn't want BR sacked.

He has also said that he fears that BR will be sacked unless our performances start to improve.

Where has he said that he wants the manager sacked?

I was only going by what another poster said and I'd rather debate BR with mr Alan to see his stance on it . No point anyone else answering for him . If mr Alan wants him gone I would happily have a debate with him on it .
    At the end of the day we all want to see LFC succeed and I'll back any manager who will manage the club who has a will to win .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Johnson.

What the fúck goes on in this mans head. Lazy bóllix.

B2BuVjzIcAE45VI.jpg:large

should be another circle were Coutinho puts the chelsea player into touch imo.

It's fairly obvious why Kenny would get a good bit of leeway from some fans. Absolute legend as a player and just as big a legend for Hillsborough aftermath.

I backed him until the very end but in hindsight he went at the correct time.

I'm certainly still backing Rodgers but things have got to improve fairly quick and I think they will when we get Sturridge back. Look to lesser teams (no disrespect) like West Ham and Newcastle to see how things can change in the space of a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

As has been pointed out by numerous people, I've explicitly said I don't want Rodgers sacked.

Sorry to disappoint.

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    should be another circle were Coutinho puts the chelsea player into touch imo.

The second goal was all down to Johnson and coutinho . I would blame coutinho less because Johnson should have went over to help put pressure on azpilicueta . I have to say Johnson has a shocking sense of positional play .

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious why Kenny would get a good bit of leeway from some fans. Absolute legend as a player and just as big a legend for Hillsborough aftermath.

I backed him until the very end but in hindsight he went at the correct time.

I'm certainly still backing Rodgers but things have got to improve fairly quick and I think they will when we get Sturridge back. Look to lesser teams (no disrespect) like West Ham and Newcastle to see how things can change in the space of a month.

I agree.

I backed Kenny, I back Rodgers and think he deserves patience.

Mr Alan backed Kenny all the way and has slated Rodgers since he walked in the door. A bit of balance would be no harm.

Well then your logic is flawed.

You claimed it was correct to back Kenny, while questions should be asked of Rodgers future. While admitting Kenny is the inferior manager.

It really isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mr Alan backed Kenny all the way and has slated Rodgers since he walked in the door. A bit of balance would be no harm.

Actually I criticised Rodgers appointment, then admitted I was wrong. Now I'm saying that I still want him to be our manager but he needs to do much better than he is this season. Yet people are arguing & trying to make out his current failings are not actually failings and in fact I'm being unreasonable. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Rodgers does badly this season it would be hard to justify keeping him on, you can hardly give him much more money going by his record and his good season could be put down to Suarez hitting the heights he did rather than something he could pull off again

I suppose the things going for him would be the belief that Markovic, Can and the rest will turn into world beaters with age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Is there anything up with Johnson other than the fact that he's a lazy so-and-so with no work ethic? Amount of times he can be seen cantering back toward his box when he should be busting his nut while the team is under pressure. His lack of adventure going forward is another thing too. When building an attack from the halfway line he'll nearly always play it square rather than go for a take-on or give and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Is there anything up with Johnson other than the fact that he's a lazy so-and-so with no work ethic? Amount of times he can be seen cantering back toward his box when he should be busting his nut while the team is under pressure. His lack of adventure going forward is another thing too. When building an attack from the halfway line he'll nearly always play it square rather than go for a take-on or give and go.

He just looks disinterested to me, go forward play a painfully simple pass that is of no benefit or do his trade make cut if left untill he loses the ball. He is one player that makes my piss boil when i see him on the team sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Johnson knows he is on the way out, he certainly plays like it.

An example of poor squad management, when a player is nearing the end of a contract with no chance of renewal he needs to be phased out fairly quickly unless he really is a selfless type who plays for the love of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sheepy99 wrote: »

I think of Johnson as a sort of passionless John Barnes, in that he has all the physical attributes to really play football, but none of the competitive "balls to the wall" spirit to really play football. He looks like a post-man going about his job, whistling Dixie as he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Throwing a question out, Is Manquillo better than Johnson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brevity wrote: »

For what we need right now, I think Andre Wisdom would be more beneficial to the team than both.

But i'd definitely have Manquillo over Johnson every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For what we need right now, I think Andre Wisdom would be more beneficial to the team than both.

But i'd definitely have Manquillo over Johnson every day of the week.

And me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Am I right in thinking that you too were involved in the debate about the Dortmund manager yesterday?

Can you honestly not understand why someone like Dalglish or Klopp would be afforded more time than a young manager like BR?

I am not advocating for a second that BR shouldn't be given more time by the way. I am just in disbelief that some posters here can't see how, say, BR and Dalglish might be treated slightly differently by fans or by the owners. Crazy!

But why?

Rodgers has just got us CL football, second and damn close to the coveted league title, this is his first blip in form in nearly 2 years. So, no I don't understand how anybody couldn't back a young, up and coming manager like that. He's young, but any manager with his results since January 2013 deserves a chance. He has earned time on merit, not past successes like Kenny.

The owners didn't give Kenny that much time and the previous lot got rid of Rafa sharpish.

So the same posters who said that was wrong and way too rash are now piling on the pressure on Rodgers. I have to ask why, has their criteria changed? I don't believe so, they took those 2 sackings too personally and are applying totally reverse logic to a manager they thought should never have got the job!

I don't understand that sudden turnaround. It took Rodgers long enough to earn respect, it looks very begrudging to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I agree.

I backed Kenny, I back Rodgers and think he deserves patience.

I think people take the thread too seriously.

It's a decent mix of views. Some people find criticism annoying, some find over praise annoying.

It's pretty easy to ignore a person if you want do on here , there's even a button! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

NEDDURC wrote: »
    This international break comes at a good time. Need to re-group now and think about best team and shape to go into the next series of games.

People always make this point. Never understood it. How do you regroup a squad thats all off on international duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

6 pts from 3 games with sturridge and then 8 pts from 8 games without him villa wba West ham Everton hull newcastle Chelsea qpr. That's a shocking return from those 8 games.

At this stage anything is a better option then him . I would even put one of the kids in !!

That's actually really sad to see on a number of levels.

haha just downloaded the game and was about to make one of these on Gerrard!!

Liverpool have made the most defensive errors (16) of any side in Europe's top 5 leagues this season. http://t.co/VrjfWAZwv1

So disappointing.

Mumha wrote: »
    . You look at last year and Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling were all busy frontmen, putting in a huge amount of movement off the ball - defenders were run ragged trying to stay with them. That isn't what Balotelli is about. W

watch Balotelli for our goal....he makes a run and drags Cahill with him... usually Cahill would run out quicker and stop the shot before it is taken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

At this stage anything is a better option then him . I would even put one of the kids in !!

Wish we had Flanno back. Him and Manquillo would be great competition for each other. Iirc he's back after Xmas?

Unfortunately Johnson Has just been too bad for too long and needs to be left out of the team. Lovren has been poor so far but I think there's a good player in there from what I saw of him last year and at the WC. Rodgers needs to figure his best pairing and stick with it. Not a massive fan of Skrtel tbh and would prefer to see Toure and Lovren given a shot.

• Advertisement

another thing as someone pointed out i think..... Sktrel and Lovern make the same defensive runs... for Chelsea's first goal, the two of them are running out and they are attacking the same space and ball.. leaving one of them out of position... Terry and Cahill have an understanding, Cahill the more mobile does the rushing usually and Terry mops up... better comminication required from our 2 CB's

mada999 wrote: »
    another thing as someone pointed out i think..... Sktrel and Lovern make the same defensive runs... for Chelsea's first goal, the two of them are running out and they are attacking the same space and ball.. leaving one of them out of position... Terry and Cahill have an understanding, Cahill the more mobile does the rushing usually and Terry mops up... better comminication required from our 2 CB's

We lost our Terry when Carra left. No leader back there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

gafferino wrote: »
    Wish we had Flanno back. Him and Manquillo would be great competition for each other. Iirc he's back after Xmas?

Unfortunately Johnson Has just been too bad for too long and needs to be left out of the team. Lovren has been poor so far but I think there's a good player in there from what I saw of him last year and at the WC. Rodgers needs to figure his best pairing and stick with it. Not a massive fan of Skrtel tbh and would prefer to see Toure and Lovren given a shot.

Actually thought Lovren had a poor enough WC. Not as bad as he's been at Liverpool but not great either.

Seeming he just can't control his instinct the charge at the ball as soon as it's within 5 meters from him. The way Southampton played last year, they were very compact and tight which usually meant if the kamikaze charge went wrong they were other players in position to cover. At Liverpool the full backs go wandering, no mobile DM and Skrtel is just a brainless when comes to taking intelligent covering positions.

Happy birthday Patrick Berger :)

10615559_875209205844423_8437655546668506578_n.jpg?oh=92de4b2daa49eb2651cc1fe73d2c035c&oe=54E46871&__gda__=1423135680_0d7be20735ae6f45f028be4b0cffbd22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Had Berger on that 'ecru' coloured jersey back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

The frustration is understandable but i have no doubt that by the end of the season Liverpool will either achieve fourth or be in the running down to the last game or two. Not due to the poor form of United / Arsenal but because Rodgers went through a similar, if not worse run of form at the beginning of his first season. The new players just need their time to gel and come into their own, while the Sturridge injury is a big loss along with Balotelli just not being able to play the lone striker role.

I expect a big improvement after Christmas. Where Liverpool's European escapes lie will also play a big part in that. Have faith in Rodgers, despite his questionable decision or two of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I like to ask myself the following two questions when it comes to Glen Johnson comparisons.

1) Does he play the same position as Glen Johnson?
    2) Is he not Glen Johnson?

Then the answer is probably yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So am I right in thinking we've got meltdown Mondays back??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

dogbert27 wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking we've got meltdown Mondays back??

Look at dogbert, the optimist. Always a silver lining.

:pac:

Imo Johnson plays because Gerrard plays.

Gerrard seems to always play it to Johnson. Perhaps because Johnson can get into a bit of space on the right, problem is then Johnson tends to lose the ball and cannot get back fast enough. Perhaps Rodgers needs to get someone on the right supporting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The most wanted 15 year in world football has been invited over to look around the club.

Martin Odegaard a huge Liverpool fan has said in the past he won't make a decision on where he would move till he heard from Liverpool first.

Goggle translate used.
    One of the clubs should, according to the Norwegian television station to Martin Ødegaards favorite club , Liverpool FC . The English giants have sent an invitation to Ødegaard on trial training . An invitation that Ødegaard family should have said yes
    http://sporten.tv2.dk/2014-11-10-nor...ne-i-liverpool

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The problem for Sterling this season imo is,
    When Sterling takes on a player and gets by him there's another defender waiting. Last season when he got past the first defender there was more open space as Sturridge and Suarez had dragged other defenders elsewhere.
    Balotelli in his current guise is just so easy to mark.

Have to say Balotelli is really easy to mark once he's up there on his own :( not his fault he doesn't have the support. The last few games he's showed a bit of promise (not taking shots from anywhere). It's up for the midfield to join him in attack and against Chelsea he didnt get the support imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The most wanted 15 year in world football has been invited over to look around the club.

Martin Odegaard a huge Liverpool fan has said in the past he won't make a decision on where he would move till he heard from Liverpool first.

Goggle translate used.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2014-11-10-nor...ne-i-liverpool

ØbligatØry YØutube:

Unreal close control, and some very impressive vision in his passing.

• Advertisement

Actually thought Lovren had a poor enough WC. Not as bad as he's been at Liverpool but not great either.

Seeming he just can't control his instinct the charge at the ball as soon as it's within 5 meters from him. The way Southampton played last year, they were very compact and tight which usually meant if the kamikaze charge went wrong they were other players in position to cover. At Liverpool the full backs go wandering, no mobile DM and Skrtel is just a brainless when comes to taking intelligent covering positions.

I thought he did ok tbh. Felt Croatia were unlucky in general. Should have beaten Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm on the record of saying we need to stop buying potential and get more experienced players but I have no problem trying to get this kid signed up.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ØbligatØry YØutube:

Unreal close control, and some very impressive vision in his passing.

I don't follow the youth teams and rely on what's said in here really. I haven't heard any mention of new signings to the youth ranks lately, what's the beef? How are those 2 young Spanish kids we bought last year doing?

I'm on the record of saying we need to stop buying potential and get more experienced players but I have no problem trying to get this kid signed up.

Ah you wouldn't class this as potential really I.e. Emre Can and the likes. The club needs to invest in the youth teams consistently. We've done well recently with Sterling, Flanno, Wisdom, Suso breaking into the first team but there was years of nothing......Rafa to thank for that.

Edit: I mean Rafa to thank for youth system producing and not the nothingness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gafferino wrote: »
    I don't follow the youth teams and rely on what's said in here really. I haven't heard any mention of new signings to the youth ranks lately, what's the beef? How are those 2 young Spanish kids we bought last year doing?

Sergi Canos could be a star in the making or he could be the next Dani Pacheco! Seriously though, he looks good. Has played several games with the U21s and looks at home, knows where goal is.

Pedro Chirivellas progress has been stunted by injury. Out again right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement