Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sergi Canos could be a star in the making or he could be the next Dani Pacheco! Seriously though, he looks good. Has played several games with the U21s and looks at home, knows where goal is.

Pedro Chirivellas progress has been stunted by injury. Out again right now.

Short interview with Canos here.....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/former-barcelona-starlet-sergi-canos-eager-play-liverpool-first-team-1470560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gafferino wrote: »
    Ah you wouldn't class this as potential really I.e. Emre Can and the likes. The club needs to invest in the youth teams consistently. We've done well recently with Sterling, Flanno, Wisdom, Suso breaking into the first team but there was years of nothing......Rafa to thank for that.

Edit: I mean Rafa to thank for youth system producing and not the nothingness!

At 15 he has a number of senior International games under his belt it crazy really.

If it was me I would offer him his dream move come play with our youths for a year or two then maybe send him on loan to a club like Ajax for a season.

We really haven't had a good record with youths coming into the first team since Heighway finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The club is a bit of a graveyard for centre backs tbh, him coming here would only stunt his development massively id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

At 15 he has a number of senior International games under his belt it crazy really.

If it was me I would offer him his dream move come play with our youths for a year or two then maybe send him on loan to a club like Ajax for a season.

We really haven't had a good record with youths coming into the first team since Heighway finished.

What I mean is I have no problem with the club spending on potential when IT comes to youth....they have to. As opposed to buying potential players for the senior squad when we need Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

The second goal was all down to Johnson and coutinho . I would blame coutinho less because Johnson should have went over to help put pressure on azpilicueta . I have to say Johnson has a shocking sense of positional play .

Regardless of where Johnson is, Coutinho is the closest player to the ball...he knows also that there is no other Liverpool player around. He should have made the foul... A chelsea player would have deffo made the foul.. I've done it playing footie, a tactical foul and to be honest as nasty as I am I would have put him over the advertising boardings tbh..

I watched Scotland against Germany in the euro qualifiers and Scotland were on the attack, and Muller lifts one of the scottish lads out of it in the middle of the park before he is going to hit a splitting pass to the wing... this is what you do to win.. I have no problem with it... I've kicked players in the chest and rugby-tackled players to the ground to stop them scoring a goal.. I've no beef with that, and have took my yellow no problem..tactial fouling...
    We are a soft team, big time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Is there anything up with Johnson other than the fact that he's a lazy so-and-so with no work ethic? Amount of times he can be seen cantering back toward his box when he should be busting his nut while the team is under pressure. His lack of adventure going forward is another thing too. When building an attack from the halfway line he'll nearly always play it square rather than go for a take-on or give and go.

ok ok but he's not the only one....

watched the game back tonight we had really two lazy players and one that hasn't got the legs to play where he's playing..

Henderson, Johnson and Gerrard.... there were a few times when each player did not follow the man or bust a gut to get back.

Defending:

1. Stevie G - everytime an opponent was running at him he dropped back, the opposition player dropped the shoulder, Stevie dropped more and the player went past him, needs to be dropped for Lucas or Can imo

* Mourinho knew this also, and the players around Gerrard were pressed so he had no easy out ball..tbh I think most opposition managers have been aware of this... more often than not he tries to spray the ball up field in which they can get the ball back or err back to the keeper who kicks it long and they get the ball back :(

2. Henderson - didnt really bust a gut till the last 20 mins.. he was lot shakier before that, there were a few plays were chelsea were attacking but he was only jogging back and not covering the space..not good enough

* TBH Henderson and Can are trying to cover Gerrard so they are not in the correct position... some maybe Gerrard is the common denominator here..:(

3. Johnson - you can blame him for the goal (but I blame Coutinho for not fouling Az on the touchline (and tbh the ball went out as well).... he had a couple of missed passes but sure so did cout, Balotelli, Gerrard et all..otherwsie did ok imo

There numerous times were 2 or 3 players would press an opposition player in control of the ball and the would lob it over them or make 2 passes to take out 2-3 players, it was a joke...

Attacking:

There's no one looking for the ball, our positioning is brutal.. when a CB had the ball our players would run away and there was no one to pass the ball to (Gerrard - the qtr back was being marked) and then we were trying to force passes.

When we did release the ball to a midfielder (either Can, Gerrard or Henderson), there was no one to pass to.. Everyone stopped and stood were they were instead of 1 player going to receive the ball and 2 other players getting into position for a pass (which Chelsea were very good at doing)

At other times there were plenty of time to hit quick one touch passes (midfield players to midfield players) but we didnt do that and moves broke down.

Upfront, Balotelli (or anyone) else wouldn't have a hope on their own, there doesn't seem to be midfield runners :(

and after all that...the only crime is we did not match them with the same work rate..they didnt have too many chances tbh..

I'd be so bold and say that if we had top notch DMF calling the shots we would be 100% better....our midfield and defense would be a lot more solid....after watching again I'm not as worried, midfield needs to work harder and smarter when defending and pressing and release it and move into better positions when attacking.. that is our prob at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm on the record of saying we need to stop buying potential and get more experienced players but I have no problem trying to get this kid signed up.

If a young player with this much potential is available, you always buy him. Just because we're buying potential, shouldn't mean we can't buy proven players as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    The frustration is understandable but i have no doubt that by the end of the season Liverpool will either achieve fourth or be in the running down to the last game or two.
    I am reminded of a saying

If you can keep your head while all those around you are loising theirs ,then you probably do not understand the severity of the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Knex. wrote: »
    Look at dogbert, the optimist. Always a silver lining.

:pac:

A mans got to dream!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

K-9 wrote: »
    But why?

Rodgers has just got us CL football, second and damn close to the coveted league title, this is his first blip in form in nearly 2 years. So, no I don't understand how anybody couldn't back a young, up and coming manager like that. He's young, but any manager with his results since January 2013 deserves a chance. He has earned time on merit, not past successes like Kenny.

The owners didn't give Kenny that much time and the previous lot got rid of Rafa sharpish.

So the same posters who said that was wrong and way too rash are now piling on the pressure on Rodgers. I have to ask why, has their criteria changed? I don't believe so, they took those 2 sackings too personally and are applying totally reverse logic to a manager they thought should never have got the job!

I don't understand that sudden turnaround. It took Rodgers long enough to earn respect, it looks very begrudging to me.

That is an excellent point.

It is no coincidence that you only hear from a certain section of supporters when Liverpool lose.

I don't just mean here btw. I see it on all forms of media and in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Di Natale says he was in talks with Liverpool in 2008.

We would have gone in to the 2008/09 season with Torres and Di Natale as our main strikers.

Could have been the difference in winning the league. Feck it anyway!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2828484/Liverpool-nearly-signed-Italy-Udinese-s-legendary-striker-Antonio-Di-Natale-nearly-went-Anfield-2008.html]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's Italian, he would have been sh*t for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

K-9 has said what a lot of us have been thinking but couldn't put into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Would have loved Di Natale at the club. Even now I'd still take him. His goal scoring stats are amazing...never got the credit he deserved over the years - probably because he stayed at Udinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The most wanted 15 year in world football has been invited over to look around the club.

Martin Odegaard a huge Liverpool fan has said in the past he won't make a decision on where he would move till he heard from Liverpool first.

Goggle translate used.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2014-11-10-nor...ne-i-liverpool

Sterling's replacement right there. No loaning him out. Exceptional talent & fan of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Who was it last year that left the man run by him, like coutinho did for chelsea's costa's goal at the weekend, without taking one for the team?
    Was it coutinho last season as well...against palace??
    Trying to remember because its happened before yet we arent learning from our mistakes/ past experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Who was it last year that left the man run by him, like coutinho did for chelsea's costa's goal at the weekend, without taking one for the team?
    Was it coutinho last season as well...against palace??
    Trying to remember because its happened before yet we arent learning from our mistakes/ past experiences.

I remember Coutinho letting someone run past him, i.e. not cynically fowling him. I think Sky Sports MNF analysis highlighted it as well.

EDIT: Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DLVPX50zI#t=190

I think it was Coutinho anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

djPSB wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, why were you so keen to give Kenny more time on the back of his League Cup victory yet so keen to up the pressure on Rodgers? Surely the same principles should apply to both situations.

Oddly enough, when managers have won league titles and / or European trophies and are club legends you might be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt for longer. Funny eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Super-Rush wrote: »
    That is an excellent point.

It is no coincidence that you only hear from a certain section of supporters when Liverpool lose.

I don't just mean here btw. I see it on all forms of media and in real life.

Still throwing out that aul fallacy I see.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Tony Barrett on a podcast this morning and he said these are the players Rodgers wanted this Summer!!

Lovren.
    Lallana.
    Lambert.
    Markovic.

These are the players he did not want that were signed by the transfer committee.

Can.
    Moreno.
    Manquillo.

All they could find with time left in the transfer window.

Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So its 1-0 to the committee so far then.

Worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If he wanted Lallana, why doesn't he play him more often?

WTF is going on with Lallana then?

And Markovic strikes me more as a committee signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

brevity wrote: »
    If he wanted Lallana, why doesn't he play him more often?

I'd say Tony Barrett is full of *****.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd say Tony Barrett is full of *****.

Why? There are only two journalists who are pretty trustworthy as far as I can see Barrett and James Pearce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

He's hardly saying anything earth shattering? I'd say most fans if asked which signings had the most input from the manager and which from the committee would have came up with those groupings bar Markovic who I would have thought was more committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was listening to Tony Barrett on a podcast this morning and he said these are the players Rodgers wanted this Summer!!

Lovren.
    Lallana.
    Lambert.
    Markovic.

These are the players he did not want that were signed by the transfer committee.

Can.
    Moreno.
    Manquillo.

Balotelli.

Myabe the Committee should make all our signings then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

What transfer committee is Rodgers referring to ?. I thought he had full say in the players he was bringing in. Sounds like excuses on Rodgers part.

What transfer committee is Rodgers referring to ?. I thought he had full say in the players he was bringing in. Sounds like excuses on Rodgers part.

The transfer committee that has been in place since summer 2013
    Ayre explained in an interview with Sports Illustrated magazine earlier this year:

“We have a head of analysis, a head of recruitment, a first-team manager, myself. All of those people are all inputting into a process that delivers what a director of football would deliver.”

Quite simply, Ayre describes the committee and the process as “a combination of old-school scouting and watching players — and that’s Brendan, his assistants, our scouts — with statistical analysis of players across Europe and the rest of the world.”

“By bringing those two processes together, you get a much more educated view of who you should and shouldn’t be buying.”

“What we believe, and we continue to follow, is you need many people involved in the process.”

The panel is Rogers, Ian Ayre, Dave Fallows and Michael Edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I am reminded of a saying

If you can keep your head while all those around you are loising theirs ,then you probably do not understand the severity of the situation

:pac:

• Advertisement

Why? There are only two journalists who are pretty trustworthy as far as I can see Barrett and James Pearce

Because out of the four he supposedly wanted he only persists in playing Loveren.

Anyways we all know journalists do their fair share of bluffing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oddly enough, when managers have won league titles and / or European trophies and are club legends you might be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt for longer. Funny eh?

This is bad posting(your normal words), seriously though your point is probably valid but why the need to be so condescending? Far too many of these types of replies on here imo, not just from you, hell I'm probably guilty of it myself but that's usually in retaliation to someone being a smart arse to me.

Even if people think someones post is complete bollox there's still a nice/polite way of telling them you disagree, no need for all the mitchiness.

Let's all be nice to each other from now on, everyone agreed? Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren.
    Lallana.
    Lambert.
    Markovic.

Can.
    Moreno.
    Manquillo.

Balotelli.
    The 3 commitee signings all look good signings too. Rodgers signings apart from Lallana who has done okay but overpriced look very poor.
    Also Tony Barrett is very reliable & doesn't have an aganda against Rodgers like Evans does. Rodgers likes to get British players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

MD1990 wrote: »
    The 3 commitee signings all look good signings too. Rodgers signings apart from Lallana who has done okay but overpriced look very poor.
    Also Tony Barrett is very reliable & doesn't have an aganda against Rodgers like Evans does. Rodgers likes to get British players.

Wasn't there rumblings that Rodgers veteoed the signing of Sturridge the summer before he arrived in January?

Technically he can be called a committee signing aswell.

I personally have no problem with signings being a decision of a majority. Giving one man all the power to decide usually results in squandered millions.

When a manager leaves you then need to clear it all out as a new guy will insist its not his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wasn't there rumblings that Rodgers veteoed the signing of Sturridge the summer before he arrived in January?

Technically he can be called a committee signing aswell.

Well, no, he can't "technically" be called a committe signing unless there are more than just "rumblings" that Rodgers tried to veto it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

A manger who finishes 7th and wins a League Cup shouldn't get any more patience than a manager who finishes 2nd and provides CL football for the first time in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The only place I've ever heard this is from Tony Evans. It may or may not be true but Evans has had the hump ever since Kenny was let go and he hasn't been a fan of either FSG or Rodgers since.

djPSB wrote: »
    A manger who finishes 7th and wins a League Cup .

This is what we are on course for this year.....maybe without the league cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The only place I've ever heard this is from Tony Evans. It may or may not be true but Evans has had the hump ever since Kenny was let go and he hasn't been a fan of either FSG or Rodgers since.

He's had the hump at LFC ever since he lost all journalistic credibility with his front page exclusive on "China buys Liverpool".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Barrett has been grasping at straws for a while now, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

MD1990 wrote: »

I wouldnt be so sure of that. Lately his personal tweets and opinions he posts seem to be playing the, "I'm not saying he is to blame but blahblablah".

He seems to have taken the fact that Reina was cast aside as a personal insult and his tweet on Mignolet at the weekend was just the latest example of that.
    Personally I think he is amongst a growing number of people bubbling under against the current regime.

And so it begins.........

Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling good enough to play for Barcelona, says Xavi.
    Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling has what it takes to play for Barcelona in the future, according to the midfielder Xavi, who has won three Champions Leagues and seven La Liga titles with the Catalan giants.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/11/liverpool-raheem-sterling-barcelona-xavi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Apparently Sterlings new contract will have a 60M buy out clause to try and stop this type of crap.

It should be £60m just to open negotiations about a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Apparently Sterlings new contract will have a 60M buy out clause to try and stop this type of crap.

Right. And do we have a figure for how much his other leg will cost?

Hopefully the club sign him up for as long as possible.

Hopefully its a 60M and we ask what their smoking clause

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Hopefully the club sign him up for as long as possible.

Let's be honest, contracts ain't worth **** these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Let's be honest, contracts ain't worth **** these days

Especially when you can lie about their contents

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement