Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

And so it begins.........

Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling good enough to play for Barcelona, says Xavi.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/11/liverpool-raheem-sterling-barcelona-xavi

The way they spin that is hilarious:

Guardian journo: Is Sterling good enough to play for Barcelona one day?
    Xavi: Yeah why not.

What was he supposed to say? "No, he'll never be good enough".
    He just gave the "safe" reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Let's be honest, contracts ain't worth **** these days

Yeah but the idea is right.
    greendom wrote: »
    Especially when you can lie about their contents

You+re+making+me+blush+_b5cb9edf3c6a88a7562dea7f6044458d.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I was listening to Tony Barrett on a podcast this morning and he said these are the players Rodgers wanted this Summer!!

Lovren.
    Lallana.
    Lambert.
    Markovic.

These are the players he did not want that were signed by the transfer committee.

Can.
    Moreno.
    Manquillo.

All they could find with time left in the transfer window.

Balotelli.

Listened to this as well (was the Second Captains podcast), the way I interpreted it was this was Tony's opinion, not a fact he had from a source.

For Moreno for example, his reason for him being one Rodgers maybe hadn't wanted was that Rodgers had also been looking at other fullbacks - but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that Moreno wasn't wanted. For every position we should be (and are, i'm sure) looking at multiple targets.

10714152_813854581993557_7270221521243970570_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah but the idea is right.

You+re+making+me+blush+_b5cb9edf3c6a88a7562dea7f6044458d.png

Well to be fair if the player wants a move, the players agent could easily leak the contents of the contract.

• Advertisement

In fairness going by word of mouth without checking a contracts contents is/was pretty stupid and naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

On Sterling/Barca, all I've got to say is...

Suarez ain't a dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

theres no way Sterling would move to Spain. It would be too much hassle to uproot all his kids.

Sterling might have to start performing for us before he goes anywhere! He's been poor this season overall tbh

theres no way Sterling would move to Spain. It would be too much hassle to uproot all his kids.

Maybe he's starting a new team with them all. Player manager role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sterling might have to start performing for us before he goes anywhere! He's been poor this season overall tbh

He was excellent and our best player in August and September. Funnily enough, his form dipped around the time he was "tired" on England duty.

Fcuking Roy Hodgson acting like a helmet as usual.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He's 19, I'm not blaming Hodgson for tiring him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

5starpool wrote: »
    He's 19, I'm not blaming Hodgson for tiring him out.

He might be referring to the possible fan/media backlash knocking the kids confidence a bit.

He's not getting much help from Ballotelli tbf. He has a great understanding with Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's not getting much help from Ballotelli tbf. He has a great understanding with Sturridge

Sterling seems reluctant to pass to him a lot of the time tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

10714152_813854581993557_7270221521243970570_o.jpg

Jasus I miss carra terribly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Good article here that touches on Liverpool's defensive problems.

http://gemsandrhinestones.com/

He might be referring to the possible fan/media backlash knocking the kids confidence a bit.

Oh well in that case, I'm on board that train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

hefferboi wrote: »
    He was excellent and our best player in August and September. Funnily enough, his form dipped around the time he was "tired" on England duty.

Fcuking Roy Hodgson acting like a helmet as usual.

Or maybe it dipped the moment Sturridge got injured. Balotelli doesn't give Sterling the space due to his lack of movement or work rate leaving Sterling stuck on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Or maybe Sterling doesn't give Balotelli the support he needs down the middle because the manager has told him to stay out on the wing affecting both their form and not using eithers strenghts to help the other.

• Advertisement

Or maybe it dipped the moment Sturridge got injured. Balotelli doesn't give Sterling the space due to his lack of movement or work rate leaving Sterling stuck on the wing.

You can see in pretty much every game that Balotelli is being specifically told to stay centre. he said it himself in an interview that it's something he has to get used to, and every time you see him drift wide, you also see Rodgers gesticulating for him to go back inside.

I'd say its very frustrating for him to be honest. I don't know why we're playing the way we are...all of our teams movement is weird, and largely out of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whoever this guy is who wrote the article hit the nail firmly on the head for me

http://liverpoolworld.com/articles/nov-2014/permanently-in-transition

klose wrote: »
    Whoever this guy is who wrote the article hit the nail firmly on the head for me

That was hard to read. Looks like a website from 1999.

klose wrote: »

To a point (although he did get the timing of Robbie Keane's signing wrong - he was with us for the first 6 months of the great Rafa year, not the following year).

The writer here though is a bit pie in the sky though, with regards to getting people like Cesc or Costa - I mean, Costa wouldn't even join us the previous year when we met his buy out clause, and that was before he went on and had an amazing scoring record the next season. You can only really attract those players if you're willing to throw huge sums of money around, and are also a hugely attractive club (trophies, location etc). I definitely think we should have aimed higher in certain categories alright though, but the finished world class article was never really a likelihood.

Some of the criticisms are perfectly fair, but i think the article is a little too simplistic.

<edit> Also, i'm now seeing white lines everywhere i look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Listened to this as well (was the Second Captains podcast), the way I interpreted it was this was Tony's opinion, not a fact he had from a source.

For Moreno for example, his reason for him being one Rodgers maybe hadn't wanted was that Rodgers had also been looking at other fullbacks - but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that Moreno wasn't wanted. For every position we should be (and are, i'm sure) looking at multiple targets.

I was going to post something similar myself. It didn't come across as 'matter of fact' whatsoever imo, he basically said that Rodgers indeed wanted the Southampton trio + Markovic yet he 'thought' question marks remained over whether Rodgers wanted Moreno & Manquillo . To me it was just his opinion on the matter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    That was hard to read. Looks like a website from 1999.

Even has a web page hit counter. Retro mo'fo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anyone else up to join the ticket madness for Burnley

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just been reading some transfer gossip. There are 2 players that by all accounts will be available in Jan.

Schurrle & Mata.

Schurrle - I would jump at this, he's quality. Sign him up.
    Mata - I know before he signed for Chelsea, there were alot of people here that wanted him real bad. He was top drawer for Chelsea, but I havent really been paying attention to his time at Utd. From what I understand, it's either him or Rooney that plays in the starting 11, and we all know who wins that.
    Given the both CFC and UTD (seemingly) are willing to let him go easily, I expect that he may be some sort of royal ar$ehole to deal with. Would that be a correct assessment?

Anyone else up to join the ticket madness for Burnley

Got 2, then realised I probably can't make it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Mata is going nowhere. Dont know where you heard utd will easily let him go.

Same as schurrle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Given the both CFC and UTD (seemingly) are willing to let him go easily, I expect that he may be some sort of royal ar$ehole to deal with. Would that be a correct assessment?

I'd say you couldn't be further from the truth with that assessment. He isn't what Mourinho is looking for in that position and it seems like he isn't what LvG is looking for in that position unfortunately. Even if he was wanted at Liverpool, do you really think it would be likely to happen? Hardly a great tradition of transfers between both clubs :pac:

Mourinho knew what he was doing letting Mata go, he's no fool. They seen Utd coming with an open cheque book and couldn't believe it I'd imagine. Anyway, he'd never come to us and he's on laughable wages.

Schurrle wouldn't come to us, we are too unpredictable and CL is only an outside chance. Plenty
    of clubs would be in for him I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm only taking what I've read in a few of the transfer gossip sites this morning which say both will be available.

I'm only taking what I've read in a few of the transfer gossip sites this morning which say both will be available.

Sure in that case Ronaldo is available to Liverpool. Dont be reading gossip on international breaks. Its all made up, with 2 + 2 = 173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They may well be, a couple of months ago I would have said no chance on Mata but I'm not so sure now. From what I gather he is the model professional though and not a royal arsehole.
    It's a non-runner anyway between both clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

You have to wonder what happened to Mata. He was Chelsea's POTS for two seasons running, then he gets benched by Mourinho and now Van Gaal. Then again, Skrtel was our POTS a couple of years ago. Martin Skrtel. So maybe there's good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No chance of mata and not really what is needed anyway. Schurrle could be an option if Chelsea sign another attacking mid and id imagine there would be a chance of getting him if he was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho knew what he was doing letting Mata go, he's no fool. They seen Utd coming with an open cheque book and couldn't believe it I'd imagine. Anyway, he'd never come to us and he's on laughable wages.

Schurrle wouldn't come to us, we are too unpredictable and CL is only an outside chance. Plenty
    of clubs would be in for him I'd imagine.

It's funny you use this line fairly often, some strange satisfaction you get even though you are proven wrong every time

Mata would instantly be liverpools best player if you signed him, a world class player playing behind Sturridge would turn the clubs fortunes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mata I would have loved when he was at Chelsea, but he really is a luxury player. United stand to loose a lot of money on him if they want shot, who's going to pay £37m for him now? PSG maybe?

Sure in that case Ronaldo is available to Liverpool. Dont be reading gossip on international breaks. Its all made up, with 2 + 2 = 173

Probably about as much chance as there is of him coming 'home'.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's funny you use this line fairly often, some strange satisfaction you get even though you are proven wrong every time

Mata would instantly be liverpools best player if you signed him, a world class player playing behind Sturridge would turn the clubs fortunes around

Sturridge playing may turn the clubs fortunes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Got 2, then realised I probably can't make it!

Got 1 myself tomorrow shall be fun

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably about as much chance as there is of him coming 'home'.

:pac:

Haha he knows where the key is left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We wont be signing Mata or Schurrle.

More likely some player having a good season like Berahino and some young lad playing in the Austrian league with bags of potential that no other top team will bother with, but hell his stats are fantastic. Also we'll be in for the "wildcard" mid twenty year old playing in Spain or the likes who has been in poor form but had 2 great seasons a few years back and could be a bargain if he can only regain his form. etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    Also we'll be in for the "wildcard" mid twenty year old playing in Spain or the likes who has been in poor form but had 2 great seasons a few years back and could be a bargain if he can only regain his form. etc etc

Like that Cavani lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    Like that Cavani lad.

We wont be signing Cavani either :(

I don't see him turning any other clubs fortunes around tbf.

Not a chance we'd pay the money he's on as he's on ridiculous wages.

The term world class is certainly over used it must be said.

Chelsea was his peak imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Bring Ronnie home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

djPSB wrote: »
    Bring Ronnie home.

He's going to Madeira?!!! :D

Seamu$ wrote: »
    He's going to Madeira?!!! :D

See the confusion caused when you don't use quotation marks? :pac:

Anyway, what number do people reckon Mata will get?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement