Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Listened to this as well (was the Second Captains podcast), the way I interpreted it was this was Tony's opinion, not a fact he had from a source.

For Moreno for example, his reason for him being one Rodgers maybe hadn't wanted was that Rodgers had also been looking at other fullbacks - but obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that Moreno wasn't wanted. For every position we should be (and are, i'm sure) looking at multiple targets.

Moreno would seem one that dragged on because of cost tbh, not necessarily Rodgers not liking him, it was one it seemed we did the right thing to drag it on.

The odd thing is we paid top dollar for Markovic, Lovren and Lalana and got them pretty quick, Moreno dragged on and Mario seemed an impulse buy when the price came down. Not very consistent!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Turtyturd wrote: »
    See the confusion caused when you don't use quotation marks? :pac:

Anyway, what number do people reckon Mata will get?

13, because Reus will want 7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nuri Sahin.
    He told Turkish broadcaster TRT: “I went to Liverpool because of my love for the Premier League. After scoring a few goals the manager started playing me behind the striker which does not suit my game.

The 26-year-old, who is now back with Dortmund on a permanent basis, added: “Despite my love for the club and the fans, I had to leave due to the managers insistence on playing me in that role.”

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Hmmm...He would certainly be very handy right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

brevity wrote: »
    Hmmm...He would certainly be very handy right about now.

I think we have enough players for that No. 10 position. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin.

link

The root problem of this is Gerrard's position in the side.

Of course, Rodgers could've played him elsewhere. If Gerrard pressed the issue though, that's a lot easier said then done.

That would've been the sort of scenario when getting in an established manager might've paid dividends - had Van Gaal joined us back then he might've had the balls to make that call if it had arisen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It's funny you use this line fairly often, some strange satisfaction you get even though you are proven wrong every time

Mata would instantly be liverpools best player if you signed him, a world class player playing behind Sturridge would turn the clubs fortunes around
    Sturridge is a better player than Mata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    We wont be signing Cavani either :(

I wonder how much a week we'd have to pay him to score no goals for us...

He's been rubbish for ages now...it's more than just a blip imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

MD1990 wrote: »

33771370_ed11c2fd5a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Last Season in the EPL:

Mata: 6 goals and 7 assists

Sturridge: 22 goals and 8 assists

Just stirring the pot! I like Mata - not too sure why my fellow Liverpool fans are doubting his ability now - as far as I can see he simply has to contend with Rooney, RVP etc at Utd - wouldn't see it as a massive slight on him.

Would take him in a heartbeat (although obviously not for 37m or laughable wages)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is it that quiet that we are really talking about signing Mata???

Jeez...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dickerty wrote: »
    Is it that quiet that we are really talking about signing Mata???

Jeez...

I'd say that what is actually happening, in my case anyway, is that I am expressing the fact I would sign him as a proxy for the value with which I hold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

As much as I'd love him, Mata is as far away from what we need as you can get. A proper defensive midfielder is what's needed and has been needed in this team for the guts of the last 2/3 seasons.

It's really worrying that Rodgers can't see this, or if he can, won't bring someone in until Gerrard is retired. Emre Can looks a good prospect, but we really need a more proven player until he realises his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

At this point I don't think he 'believes' in having a DM in the team. He wants a player or players who can drop into that role as required during a game, but having someone who's sole role is to break up play just doesn't seem to fit his philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

See the confusion caused when you don't use quotation marks? :pac:

Anyway, what number do people reckon Mata will get?
    45, it's not being used much atm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Daemonic wrote: »
    At this point I don't think he 'believes' in having a DM in the team. He wants a player or players who can drop into that role as required during a game, but having someone who's sole role is to break up play just doesn't seem to fit his philosophy.

Ideally the DM would be able to break up the play and have a decent passing range.
    An all singing all dancing DM as opposed to a one trick pony.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Ideally the DM would be able to break up the play and have a decent passing range.
    An all singing all dancing DM as opposed to a one trick pony.

A one trick pony as you call it would work ok if you had two workhorses in front of him. Lallana has creativity too.

Lucas

Henderson - - - - - - - Lallana

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We're as likely to get Mata now as we were last January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

hefferboi wrote: »
    As much as I'd love him, Mata is as far away from what we need as you can get. A proper defensive midfielder is what's needed and has been needed in this team for the guts of the last 2/3 seasons.

It's really worrying that Rodgers can't see this, or if he can, won't bring someone in until Gerrard is retired. Emre Can looks a good prospect, but we really need a more proven player until he realises his potential.

We have one, he's called Lucas Levia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Super-Rush wrote: »
    We have one, he's called Lucas Levia.

Lucas is a decent backup. He isn't the player he was a few seasons back which isn't surprising with the luck he has had with injuries. We need a better DM in our team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus, could you imagine Mata and Gerrard in the same midfield.

Jesus, could you imagine Mata and Gerrard in the same midfield.

The defensive coach would have his work cut out...

Oh wait!

Martin Odegaard admits Liverpool are his dream club
    'Liverpool have always been my dream club,' Odegaard told German newspaper Sport Bild.

'But I will not let this affect my decision when I choose a new club.

'It's all about finding the team that is best for me and for my development. That is not necessarily Liverpool.
    Last week Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, speaking after their 1-0 defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions League, was reluctant to talk about Odegaard but did praise his qualities.

'I know he's a big talent, at that age to be playing senior football at 15 and in a competitive league,' said the Northern Irishman.

'He's got wonderful ability and wonderful talent, but there's nothing much more to say on him.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2831524/Martin-Odegaard-admits-Liverpool-dream-club-Norwegian-15-year-old-ponders-future.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »

3907593-8870966785-proxy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't see him turning any other clubs fortunes around tbf.

Not a chance we'd pay the money he's on as he's on ridiculous wages.

The term world class is certainly over used it must be said.

Chelsea was his peak imo

You lack even a basic understanding of football if you can't figure out why Matas form flatlined when he came to United, I'll give you a hint all of the United players have barely had form too

World class in basic terms means a player who has a claim to being one of the best in the world in his position, you would have to be an idiot to say Mata isn't personification of world class based on his last two full seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

You lack even a basic understanding of football if you can't figure out why Matas form flatlined when he came to United, I'll give you a hint all of the United players have barely had form too

World class in basic terms means a player who has a claim to being one of the best in the world in his position, you would have to be an idiot to say Mata isn't personification of world class based on his last two full seasons

Mata was dropped from the Spain squads recently. Only making the bench for United recently.

Hardly world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone have anything against bringing Torres 'home'?

You'd have to be stupid to say he is not world class based on his first few seasons with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

'Torres'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You'd have to be stupid to say he is not world class based on his first few seasons with us.

His pace was his most effective weapon. That went after his ankle injuries, and so did his confidence along with it.
    He'll never reach a high level of play again, unfortunately.

djPSB wrote: »
    Mata was dropped from the Spain squads recently. Only making the bench for United recently.

Hardly world class.

Do you think Liverpool will continue on this downward trajectory?

No you don't, because form is temporary

• Advertisement

"("""Bringing" "Torres"" "Home"""?"

""No" "thanks"".)"

Dunno lads, still think he is the personification of world class based on those early seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mata would instantly be liverpools best player if you signed him, a world class player playing behind Sturridge would turn the clubs fortunes around

aUCJwRg.gif

Brilliant!

'Torres'

'FT9'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, because buying Mata when in need of a sorting out your defence, central midfield, and winger options worked out so well for United last season.

Lets do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would have no problem in him joining Atletico.

This could well be the longest and most painful international break in the history of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mata is great.

Not quite as great as some think seen as he can't get in the Utd team, but he's still an excellent player.

We've other priorities, even though there's no chance at all of us having a sniff of getting him.

I don't see how the discussion goes any further than the above tbh.

he has had plenty of time and money to sort out the defence by now, I don't think it's getting sorted

• Advertisement

Neither do I but signing DiMaria and Falcao drew attention away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yay Sturridge is back to gloss over our essentially right now polished turd of a team

He isn't world class or any where near it.

Overpriced and past his best is what he is.

You'd need to really build your team around him to make him effective and Rodgers certainly wouldn't be doing that even if by some miracle the transfer was an actual possibility which it's not.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He isn't world class or any where near it.

Overpriced and past his best is what he is.

You'd need to really build your team around him to make him effective and Rodgers certainly wouldn't be doing that even if by some miracle the transfer was an actual possibility which it's not.

I thought liverpool fans most of all would know now not to base things on one season, which you must be doing to come to that bizarre assessment

Over the past 3 seasons he is at the very least amongst the top few, arguably the best performing over that space of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lets all kiss and make up and watch true class
    http://vimeo.com/92846254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How many Liverpool players have scored more league goals than Juan 'part-time' Mata this season?

Clue:
    never mind the clue, the answer is none, nada, zilch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is such a stupid argument, even by our standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How many Liverpool players have scored more league goals than Juan 'part-time' Mata this season?

Clue:
    never mind the clue, the answer is none, nada, zilch.

Shane Long would be our 2nd highest scorer and he's not world class either.

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is such a stupid argument, even by our standards.

I'm not surprised but intrigued that some people would seemingly turn their nose up at signing Mata if it was a possibility.

He's an odd one alright in that he's probably playing his worst football since joining United but has an approx goal every 3 games, whereas he was consistently 1 in 4 throughout his career.

Shane Long would be our 2nd highest scorer and he's not world class either.

Yeah but that doesn't work for my question, the answer would be 1, Sterling. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yeah but that doesn't work for my question, the answer would be 1, Sterling. :pac:

Sterling isn't world class either though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement