Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I_426428_1383417.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Neither do I but signing DiMaria and Falcao drew attention away from it.

Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I'm not surprised but intrigued that some people would seemingly turn their nose up at signing Mata if it was a possibility.

He's an odd one alright in that he's probably playing his worst football since joining United but has an approx goal every 3 games, whereas he was consistently 1 in 4 throughout his career.

While Mata would be great and all that, Liverpool have far greater issues to fix.
    If it was Mata or a striker (one that can score with some degree of regularity) or a DM then Mata would be 3rd of those 3 choices for me.

That's not a slight on the player or his ability btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, because buying Mata when in need of a sorting out your defence, central midfield, and winger options worked out so well for United last season.

Lets do that.

Its like buying a new fridge when really you need a new washing machine and Im sure thats not going to change for us in January. Brendan is going to sign players we dont need if he does sign anyone and keep turning a blind eye to the holding midfield player we so badly need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Its like buying a new fridge when really you need a new washing machine and Im sure thats not going to change for us in January. Brendan is going to sign players we dont need if he does sign anyone and keep turning a blind eye to the holding midfield player we so badly need

Or wanting a sofa and getting a lamp. This has never happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

#HOLO

xpDTUVq.jpg

I thought liverpool fans most of all would know now not to base things on one season, which you must be doing to come to that bizarre assessment

Over the past 3 seasons he is at the very least amongst the top few, arguably the best performing over that space of time

Not bizzare at all.

You need to base your team around him. Ask Mourinho. Not even sure does Van Gaal fully trust him. World class certainly loosely thrown around.

Liverpool won't be signing him anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Its like buying a new fridge when really you need a new washing machine

Yeah but who wouldn't want cool underpants???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not bizzare at all.

You need to base your team around him. Ask Mourinho. Not even sure does Van Gaal fully trust him. World class certainly loosely thrown around.

Liverpool won't be signing him anyway!

Swiftly moving on from what I said I see

I'd like to know how Suarez can be world class but Mata can't, yet Suarez has a goal just over every two games in the premier league, and Mata has one in three, Mata has far better assists and creation numbers too. One is a striker, one isn't.

Put it this way, if Sterling scored 30 goals and over 40 assists in the last 3 seasons every single Liverpool supporter would be calling him world class, there is no doubt about it

Comparisons would be made with Zidane and he would be given the key to the city too I'm sure.

I'd like to know how Suarez can be world class but Mata can't, yet Suarez has a goal just over every two games in the premier league, and Mata has one in three, Mata has far better assists and creation numbers too. One is a striker, one isn't.

Put it this way, if Sterling scored 30 goals and over 40 assists in the last 3 seasons every single Liverpool supporter would be calling him world class, there is no doubt about it

Comparisons would be made with Zidane and he would be given the key to the city too I'm sure.

No point putting Suarez and Mata in the same category. They are light years apart. Suarez is gone from strength to strength and is now plying his trade at one of the world's best team. Mata has taken a step down and in a team a few levels below.

Chalk and Cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Simples. One plays at Barcelona and the other sits on the bench at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mosstin wrote: »
    Or wanting a sofa and getting a lamp. This has never happened before.

I love lamp

Serious deflecting as usual, not sure what any of the above has to do with the simple point that from both their time in the premier league Mata's stats match up with Suarez's yet one can be world class and one isn't for the simple reason that one played for Liverpool and one plays for United

By that metric Gerrard was never world class because he never played for one of the worlds best teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is such a stupid argument, even by our standards.

Oh no it isn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Serious deflecting as usual, not sure what any of the above has to do with the simple point that from both their time in the premier league Mata's stats match up with Suarez's yet one can be world class and one isn't for the simple reason that one played for Liverpool and one plays for United

By that metric Gerrard was never world class because he never played for one of the worlds best teams
    You always mention stats in any argument like if a player has better stats it makes him a better player. Anyone who regulary watches Mata & Suarez will tell you Suarez is much the better player. Mata can't even make the Spain squad with both Silva & Fabregas injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Their Premier League careers:

Suarez 110 appearances with 69 goals

Mata 106 appearances with 27 goals

Suarez would have scored more no doubt if he hadn't of been so racist and bitey.

MD1990 wrote: »
    You always mention stats in any argument like if a player has better stats it makes him a better player. Anyone who regulary watches Mata & Suarez will tell you Suarez is much the better player. Mata can't even make the Spain squad with both Silva & Fabregas injured.

Goals and assists are kind of important in football, they aren't a bonafide measure of how good a player is but they help

This is getting surreal.

Stats? If you think Mata is in the same category as Suarez I take it you haven't watched much football the past 2 years. He's not even the best # 10 at his club (this is subjective of course)

Go back 2 years ago then perhaps he was a better player. Now it's great player v good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

From 2004 to 2011 Liverpool were ranked in the top 5 European clubs, reaching two finals, winning once and also reaching two other semi-finals. I will be accused of bias but that's some record in fairness. Domestically we didn't always challenge but on a European/world stage, we were right up there.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Their Premier League careers:

Suarez 110 appearances with 69 goals

Mata 106 appearances with 27 goals

Suarez would have scored more no doubt if he hadn't of been so racist and bitey.

You could have 110 appearances of 1 minute

If you do it by minutes played Mata has 1 in 3 and Suarez has just over 1 in 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Stats can be a little bit misleading, De Gea has conceeded more goals this year than Fabianski, now which of the two do you think is the better goalkeeper?

lol ok

mav79 wrote: »
    Stats can be a little bit misleading, De Gea has conceeded more goals this year than Fabianski, now which of the two do you think is the better goalkeeper?

I agree that stats aren't always perfect

Suarez has a fantastic record and can be world class in his position

Mata has a fantastic record but can't be world class in his position because he was dropped from Spain apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Coutinho got another run out for brazil tonight, origi has scored again for belgium to out them 2-1 up v iceland.

This is getting surreal.

Stats? If you think Mata is in the same category as Suarez I take it you haven't watched much football the past 2 years. He's not even the best # 10 at his club (this is subjective of course)

Go back 2 years ago then perhaps he was a better player. Now it's great player v good player.

If you can name me the world class players in that position over the last 3 or 4 years I'll leave it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I agree that stats aren't always perfect

Suarez has a fantastic record and can be world class in his position

Mata has a fantastic record but can't be world class in his position because he was dropped from Spain apparently
    He isn't in the Spain squad or the Man Utd team because he isn't playing well despite having decent stats. Its like playing with 10 men when he doesn't have the ball as he is very slow & weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Surprised anyone scored tonight....the goalposts are shifting all over the place.

If you can name me the world class players in that position over the last 3 or 4 years I'll leave it there

:) Swerveball

Mata was near world class at Chelsea. Now he's a decent player every other game.

As I said, we won't be signing him at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

brevity wrote: »

Great goal !

• Advertisement

:) Swerveball

Mata was near world class at Chelsea. Now he's a decent player every other game.

As I said, we won't be signing him at Liverpool

So who was world class when Mata wasn't but near it

If you can determine who isn't world class then you need world class to compare to, it should be easy for you to drop the names tbh

He is 26 years old and hasn't relied on pace or anything like that, you saying he has gone from being near world class to a decent player in a year and a bit is still showing a lack of basic football understanding. I suppose Sterling is going to be dreadful from now on like his start to the season, you know he was decent last year but not looks like he's past his peak :confused: ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Why would a world class player have 110 appearances of 1 minute.

djPSB wrote: »

he could be very efficient

djPSB wrote: »

He only needed one minute.

#winning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If I was picking a 5-a-side team, 4 players picked on each team, only Suarez and Mata to chose from, I would pick Suarez every day of the week.

So who was world class when Mata wasn't but near it

If you can determine who isn't world class then you need world class to compare to, it should be easy for you to drop the names tbh

He is 26 years old and hasn't relied on pace or anything like that, you saying he has gone from being near world class to a decent player in a year and a bit is still showing a lack of basic football understanding. I suppose Sterling is going to be dreadful from now on like his start to the season, you know he was decent last year but not looks like he's past his peak :confused: ....

What's Sterling got to do with Mata coming to Liverpool? You keep name dropping him in some attempt to whip up a distraction from the original point.
    - Mata isn't coming to Liverpool.

Goodnight. Start a Mata thread and give everyone a break and I'll post with you in the morning :)

As for the bit in bold you said Mata is as good as Suarez :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If I was picking a 5-a-side team, 4 players picked on each team, only Suarez and Mata to chose from, I would pick Suarez every day of the week.

I don't see anyone picking Mata in that instance

I'm wondering where all these world class players in Mata's position are that also won back to back European titles and racked up a fantastic amount of goals and assists

We are making progress though, all the way up to "nearly world class"

If Grayditch could come along with one of his epic picture posts, accurately depicting the state of today's discussion, it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Someone should do us all a favour and set fire to the last few pages of this thread. jfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they all have lovely bottoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Mata is world class. The question is though, why is he wasting such talent at Unitied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can November 23rd hurry up and come along

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Someone should do us all a favour and set fire to the last few pages of this thread. jfc

The last few pages are some sort of side effect from Kim Kardashian breaking the internet earlier.

DaveSuarez wrote: »

Here you go, just don't let Ballotelli strike it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-FH0k3LR0Y93nMPBnjM28srFuSg_5fMsfLLfipu6-aq1zRWimaw

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I don't see anyone picking Mata in that instance

I'm wondering where all these world class players in Mata's position are that also won back to back European titles and racked up a fantastic amount of goals and assists

We are making progress though, all the way up to "nearly world class"

So although you speculate he is world class, he is not even '5 aside on the astro class'?

Edit: I was a fan of Mata, heck I think I even started the talking on him today. I also think the term world-class is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    If Grayditch could come along with one of his epic picture posts, accurately depicting the state of today's discussion, it would be great.

From his back catalogue.

product-enlarged.jpg

As for the bit in bold you said Mata is as good as Suarez :)

Are we clear that I'm not making a case for Mata being a world class striker or is there some confusion along the way?

3rd time of asking who the world class players were in Mata's position but I think my point has been made at this stage

A drawn out process getting to "almost world class" will do me for the night, I'll mosey on back to the United thread

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So although you speculate he is world class, he is not even '5 aside on the astro class'?

Edit: I was a fan of Mata, heck I think I even started the talking on him today. I also think the term world-class is ridiculous.

I'd pick Suarez over Mata just like I'd pick Messi over Suarez, doesn't effect that Mata was at least one of the best performing in his position for a few years and is still well capable of it when he gets some form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

United fans in the thread are fine...

until, you know...

funny-gif-japanese-girl-transforms-monster.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The U18s played Wolves at Molineaux this evening. The game ended 2-2, the Liverpool goals coming from Ryan Kent and Sam Hart, they had the chance to take the lead again in the second half but Will Marsh put a peno against the post.

Liverpool U18s: Firth, Travis, Lewis, Sheron (Chirivella), Hart, Whelan, Marsh (Watts), Nicholas (Maxwell), Canos, Sinclair, Kent.

• Advertisement

Are we clear that I'm not making a case for Mata being a world class striker or is there some confusion along the way?

3rd time of asking who the world class players were in Mata's position but I think my point has been made at this stage

A drawn out process getting to "almost world class" will do me for the night, I'll mosey on back to the United thread

I'd pick Suarez over Mata just like I'd pick Messi over Suarez, doesn't effect that Mata was at least one of the best performing in his position for a few years and is still well capable of it when he gets some form

A deflected consolation goal in a 7-1 defeat :)

Goodnight Wayne, chat tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement