Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BenEadir wrote: »
    Next Season it will be

1. Sturridge
    2. Mario
    3. Origi
    4. Lambo.

Sturridge and Mario (assuming they click once Sturrdige is back) should be the #1 pair. Origi will be used to replace Sturridge after X minutes or to rest Sturridge, Cap One games etc and as cover for Sturridge injuries.

Lambo is very much an off the bench when we are in Hail Mary territory in the last 10-15 minutes.

Borini, much as I like his attitude and industry is likely to go back to Italy at a big discount to the €14m Sunderland were prepared to pay for him in the summer.

Only amendment to the above might be Borini out and Origi in over Xmas if Lille will play ball.

I would be shocked if we are still stuck with Mario next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »

I'm guessing it'll be down to how well he plays in a position more suited to him up top with Sturridge.

He hasn't been good enough and he has missed a few sitters which really have little to do with him being a "lone" striker but I still have some hope that he will become decent for us. A fine 3rd option IMO.

Still need a quality forward, Origi is still too raw to depend on for goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We need to find a mid to late 20's proven striker on the European level either in January or next Summer.

Sturridge & Origi to go with that striker with either Balotelli or Lambert staying on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I kinda would be too but I do think he should stay. He's still a talented player, he just needs to start with another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

We need to find a mid to late 20's proven striker on the European level either in January or next Summer.

Sturridge & Origi to go with that striker with either Balotelli or Lambert staying on.

Somebody like Balotelli, you mean?

Mid 20s, proven at a few top clubs and very cheap compared to other strikers, in the same price bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dickerty wrote: »
    I can see it being Studge and Origi very often. Origi is clearing Berndan's man (he talks him up so much), so once he is delivering, he'll start him and try to develop their partnership...

Apart from the fact Liverpool have been in contact with him since he was 15 :)

As for next season - Sturridge/Origi/Reus(!)/Lambert is most likely unless the return of Studge unleashes Balotelli but I'm not holding my breath.

looder wrote: »

Mid 20s, proven at a few top clubs and very cheap compared to other strikers, in the same price bracket.

We already have Balotelli at the club we need another one as well.

The one thing we can be sure of is Sturridge is going to pick up injuries every season the will knock him out for a lot of games.

Now we do have a striker in his mid 20's who has done it for top clubs but for some reason the manager doesn't play to his strenghts or the strenghts of any of his fit strikers for that matter.

Jackson Martinez who we have been linked with is a striker who could play on his own up front but my worry if we brought him in the manager would stick him on the wing or something crazy like that.

looder wrote: »

I disagree that Mario is proven.

He has failed at his last two clubs and is failing with us.

Two goals against Germany in Euro 2012 notwithstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I disagree that Mario is proven.

He has failed at his last two clubs and is failing with us.

Two goals against Germany in Euro 2012 notwithstanding.

26 goals in 43 games with Milan is failing? Lofty standards for strikers these days so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The thing with Mario in my opinion is that people think he is a better than he actually is. Don't get me wrong, though, I do think hes a good player when played to his strengths.

I am convinced he will show more when Sturridge is along side him.

Borini however, a willing runner yes, but listening to some on here, you would swear Rodgers is leaving Messi on the bench week in week out.

The fact is, Borini and Lambert are nowhere near good enough for a team wanting to challenge for top 4 / titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

joe123 wrote: »
    The thing with Mario in my opinion is that people think he is a better than he actually is. Don't get me wrong, though, I do think hes a good player when played to his strengths.

I am convinced he will show more when Sturridge is along side him.

Borini however, a willing runner yes, but listening to some on here, you would swear Rodgers is leaving Messi on the bench week in week out.

The fact is, Borini and Lambert are nowhere near good enough for a team wanting to challenge for top 4 / titles.

If origi is coming next year would it not have been better to get a stop gap ETO in for the one year. ETO quality finisher. Too old to play all he time but could have backed up up sturridge

klose wrote: »
    26 goals in 43 games with Milan is failing? Lofty standards for strikers these days so.

How many penalties?

I am almost certain somebody here said it was half or more a while back.

So in Liverpool terms, with Gerrard taking the penalties, it'd be more like 13 in 43.

Of course, if that were the case then we would be a bit happier than we are now but alas no.

EDIT:

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/08/mario-balotelli-at-ac-milan-hype-vs-reality/

Apparently he scored 30 goals for Milan in 54 games in all comps which sounds good. But minus 10 penalties and 5 free kicks and it is only 15 in 54 games. It is mean of me to exclude the free-kicks but I don't see him taking many for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apparently he scored 30 goals for Milan in 54 games in all comps which sounds good. But minus 10 penalties and 5 free kicks and it is only 15 in 54 games. It is mean of me to exclude the free-kicks but I don't see him taking many for Liverpool.

If he's good at them he should take them. His strike rate is more important than the total number of goals he's scored. So long as it's better than what we have he should be first in the queue.

Suarez was a huge loss in this regard. Gerrard's the only one of note left.

It should also be noted that we have better players than Milan for the most part, he often didn't get to play in an ideal formation there either but also, scoring in a weak Italian league isn't the same as doing so in the Premier League.

Really, we have to play to his strengths and determine from that whether he'll be a success here. What happened before is largely irrelevant.

Torres wasn't much of a goalscorer for Atletico, Sturridge couldn't get into a Chelsea team with limited attacking options, Gerrard made a huge jump in goals scored when he was nominally moved out to the right.
    Players can have very different outputs in different systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

If he starts to develop an effective partnership with Sturridge then why not? If he plays 10 games with Sturridge and is still playing the way he's currently playing (out of sync with the rest of the team, not pressing etc) then I agree 100%, time to move him onto an Italian team where his mode of play is accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Apart from the fact Liverpool have been in contact with him since he was 15 :)

I am sure our scouting network (part of which used to be City's scouting network) have been watching lost of players since they were 15. But you can be sure that this is Rodger's type of signing - dynamic, flexible positionally, confident in his ability...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

daithijjj wrote: »
    Paying extra to Lille!!? How much would that be?.

Balotelli! :cool:

Our 2nd best option up front (Borini imo) we did our best to push out!

Forget Lambert, he was brought in to carry a load during a long season, not to start.

If everyone was honest we could only describe our attempt to replace what we lost as shambolic. The continual mystery and mechanics of how we do things doesnt seem to have changed since the summer we didnt sign Sturridge.

Remember when Ian Ayre said we got lucky when we decided to go without Sturridge and then rubber stamp it hours into the following transfer window?.

As it happens we are actually blessed he decided to come to us they way we 'grind'.

Except this time, we didnt get lucky, did we, we monumentally fked up actually.

The penny pinching resulted in signing 'the best we could have got', an outcast. And now we could end up paying more for a player who, in essence, we already own.

Well done team, nailed it!!

All true, but at this stage I wouldnt worry too much about paying an extra few quid to secure Origi in January. Id rather have the extra option.

Origi has 9 league goals in 50 apps in an inferior league.

I'd leave him where he is tbh and let him development.

What if comes in and doesn't add anything? It'll kill his confidence. Look to Markovic as an example, afraid of the ball and already classed as a dud by some.

Go and buy some proven quality ffs.

I hope there's no truth in this story

rarnes1 wrote: »

What if comes in and doesn't add anything? It'll kill his confidence. Look to Markovic as an example, afraid of the ball and already classed as a dud by some.

But we'll already be the champions elect after Sturridge comes back and we win our next 10 games 14-0 so he'll be under no pressure at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gbear wrote: »
    But we'll already be the champions elect after Sturridge comes back and we win our next 10 games 14-0 so he'll be under no pressure at all.
    To bring back Origi with Sturridge would just end up humiliating the other teams in the league.

• Advertisement

Have you seen Lille? They way they are set up means his development is really only likely to be stunted, this guy can hold his own for Belgium. The only danger is that he is brought back and isn't used enough.

Have you seen Lille? They way they are set up means his development is really only likely to be stunted, this guy can hold his own for Belgium. The only danger is that he is brought back and isn't used enough.

He looks like he can play alone, with Sturridge, with Balotelli or with both.

He ought to get plenty of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If anything his development might even be stunted at Lille who are one of the most negative sides in any of the top European leagues. They don't concede too many goals but hardly score any either.

The best you can say for them is at least he is playing regularly but half the time they have him out on the wing chasing lost causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

If anything his development might even be stunted at Lille who are one of the most negative sides in any of the top European leagues. They don't concede too many goals but hardly score any either.

The best you can say for them is at least he is playing regularly but half the time they have him out on the wing chasing lost causes.
    Maybe he could teach our defenders a thing or two so

Fair enough but he certainly shouldn't be seen as someone that can solve our problems.

You couldn't make up how bad our transfer dealings are tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jaysus, just had a look. 5 goals scored in their last 12 games! Origi the only player to score more than once this season (3)

Shocking form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He's scored or assisted over 50% of their goals this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fair enough but he certainly shouldn't be seen as someone that can solve our problems.

You couldn't make up how bad our transfer dealings are tbh

Eh? He's already our player, we just agreed to give him another year.
    I would say that's pretty good dealings.

And he COULD solve a problem we have with him being a goal scorer, given how few we have scored - that's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

And he COULD solve a problem we have with him being a goal scorer, given how few we have scored - that's a no brainer.
    What I see with Origi potentially coming back is a player of similar status to Sterling - not the finished article, but a player who may well cause considerable problems for opposing teams.

Having a player like that in your lineup helps create a little extra room for the likes of Coutihno, Sterling, Balotelli

It's the same argument for Sturridge - obviously a higher profile player who teams will look to marshall more and leave less space. The best performance of ours this season was at Spurs where Studge & Balotelli were taking turns drifting onto the wings, trying to drag players out of position. We've missed it since - far too often this season, teams have found it far too easy to setup against us defensively.

• Advertisement

I'm referring to it coming to this. Having to resort to pulling a 19 year old back from a loan deal because over 30m worth of strikers can't score a goal between them.

What if he doesn't solve our striker problem? He almost certainly won't and I wouldn't expect him to.

The club should go and buy an established goalscorer in January and leave Origi where he is.

Take him in the summer as planned and ditch Ballotelli and Lambert/Borini

Take him in the summer as planned and ditch Ballotelli and Lambert/Borini

Ditch all three of them?

brevity wrote: »
    Ditch all three of them?

No, 2 of them hence the slash. Ballotelli has to go for me. Doesn't fit whatsoever.

In a perfect world I'd get rid of all 3.

You gotta factor in a sicknote Sturridge into the mix so strikers # 2 and 3 have to be top notch.

Currently we have 1 sicknote, 3 duds(2 which don't fit the style of play, and 1 who perhaps does but the manager won't play him and was going to sell him), and a young lad out on loan.

Kolo Toure leads rout as Ivory Coast boost Nations Cup chances :)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/feedarticle/11641878

presumably Yaya is still sulking.

Maybe he should play up front if he isn't going to start at CB.

https://vine.co/v/O5KVan27E0Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kolo Toure leads rout as Ivory Coast boost Nations Cup chances :)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/feedarticle/11641878

presumably Yaya is still sulking.

He wasn't involved apparently as he figured this game would be a piece of cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    He wasn't involved apparently as he figured this game would be a piece of cake.

Don't mention cake around Yaya.

8-10 wrote: »
    Arek Milik. I said it yesterday, guy is a goal machine and would tear it up in our system. His team would sell and his price will only go up with his international form. I think he'd consider us an upgrade also

Another goal for Poland tonight for this lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Augmerson wrote: »
    So what's the story with next season when we have Sturridge and presumably still have Mario and Lambear on the books? How much of a look will he get then?

(Left out Borini out of the equation because I think he'll be sold, possibly by January)

Well he'll be a year older and hopefully a better player after getting some experience and all importantly a bit of game time.

I agree that Borini could be the first casualty because of our poor scoring record and that would leave room for our remaing strikers(Origi included) to compete for that place alongside Sturridge.

Another goal for Poland tonight for this lad

Kenny Cunningham was full of praise for him tonight as well.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham was full of praise for him tonight as well.

I've enjoyed watching him this season for Ajax. No links at all to Liverpool anyway but definitely of the kind that we should be after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I've enjoyed watching him this season for Ajax. No links at all to Liverpool anyway but definitely of the kind that we should be after.

How's Fischer getting on this season? I watched a fair bit of him 2 seasons ago and he looked like he could be a world beater. Memphis Depay looked the same. Now Depay is tearing it up for PSV and Holland and I haven't hear a thing from Fischer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Yeh hes a fabulous player a real poacher. Dont think we'll be going after him any time soon as Ajax are reportedly set to make his loan deal permanent in January for just 2.5m euros. What a bargain that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

hefferboi wrote: »
    How's Fischer getting on this season? I watched a fair bit of him 2 seasons ago and he looked like he could be a world beater. Memphis Depay looked the same. Now Depay is tearing it up for PSV and Holland and I haven't hear a thing from Fischer.

Viktor Fischer has been out injured since last February or March and hes still a good length away from making a return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lets see him kick balls into wheelie bins before we get too excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Knex. wrote: »
    Lets see him kick balls into wheelie bins before we get too excited.

I think Downing was a bit lucky that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

genuinely had a dream last night that we were managed by Martin O'Neill.

I'm not sleeping again for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Welcome 'home' Heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Welcome 'home' Heskey.

He'd surely score more goals than our current strikers

• Advertisement

BBz3-ZsCcAE0Mhw.jpg:large

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement