Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I disagree, I think we've gone to playing to narrow this year. I'd like to see Sterling revert to a more orthodox wing player for abit. Beat some players and get some crosses in. Lets get Markovic / Borini to do the same on the other side.

......................Allen
    Sterling...Henderson...Lalllana....Markovic
    ......................Balo

You want to persist with playing Balo as a lone striker? :eek:

Whatever about needing more width, I thought the one thing we all agreed about at this stage was that we need to get someone close to him up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ush wrote: »
    Can people stop using the phrase "world class".

Can we use top top player?
    Or even top top top player, to distinguish those really top players, who aren't just top players but top of the tops, world class you would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So we were 1 point better off against those teams with Suarez and Sturridge playing last season. For me i think we are still on track for 4th place this season.

We have 14 points from 11 games.
    We are 4 points off 4th but 5 off relegation.
    We have scored 14 and conceded 15 goals.
    Our now main striker has 0 EPL Goals 1 overall.
    Our form is poor.
    We are 11th in the league.

I like a positive spin but no matter what way you look at it we haven't been good enough. Last season means nothing anymore. We are still well in the race for top four but we need to win games.

Continental class has a good ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"Global Quality"

david-brent.jpg

I thought the one thing we all agreed about at this stage was that we need to get someone close to him up top.

Rodgers doesn't.

Isn't Mario out for the weekend with injury anyway?

They may not be 'World Class', or of a 'Global Quality'. But I think we can all agree that they are beautiful human beings.

Knex. wrote: »
    They may not be 'World Class', or of a 'Global Quality'. But I think we can all agree that they are beautiful human beings.

And great technicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

tok9 wrote: »
    While I admire your optimism I wouldn't say we're on track for top 4 going by what looks like 2 poor runs.

I'd also add that of that list we beat Everton at home last season.

We also drew with them :)

We lost to City and beat them, drew with Villa and beat them, won and lost to Hull, drew and beat Newcastle, two losses to Chelsea, two wins against Spurs, won and lost to Southampton, won and drew against West Brom.

It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom though. Not one of us thought we would go on such a run in the second half of last season. We are only 2 points of United, 3 off Arsenal and level with Everton who are our main opponents for 4th. We're also only 4 points behind West Ham who are in 4th place and with the greatest respect to the hammers, they won't be there come May, and even with the great job that Koeman is doing with Southampton, they won't be in the top four at the end of the season either.

It's still all to play for for me. The internationals are over for a while so we can keep the squad together for sustained periods of time. Sure Sturridge is injured again but **** like that happens. It happened with Owen, Torres, Gerrard. I have faith in the manager to turn it around, he done it last season, he'll do it again.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    We have 14 points from 11 games.
    We are 4 points off 4th but 5 off relegation.
    We have scored 14 and conceded 15 goals.
    Our now main striker has 0 EPL Goals 1 overall.
    Our form is poor.
    We are 11th in the league.

I like a positive spin but no matter what way you look at it we haven't been good enough. Last season means nothing anymore. We are still well in the race for top four but we need to win games.

Why does last season not mean anything anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

James Pearce saying the club fear Sturridge will be out for a significant amount of time again as it's the exact same injury he picked up in England training that time.

James Pearce saying the club fear Sturridge will be out for a significant amount of time again as it's the exact same injury he picked up in England training that time.

Could be a blessing in disguise.

Rodgers needs to put pressure on the owners to splash out on someone of proven quality. Now is not the time for potential or value.

Why does last season not mean anything anymore?

Are you being serious?

Are you being serious?

I am. I'm curious as to why you think that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rodgers needs to put pressure on the owners to splash out on someone of proven quality. Now is not the time for potential or value.

Not much of a blessing with 10 crucial games between now and the time we can do something about it.

• Advertisement

I am. I'm curious as to why you think that.

So much has changed for us and a lot of clubs. New teams, new managers and new players, different tactics etc
    Last season cant really be used to accurately determine how good/bad our current season is. It means nothing really when talking about results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

joe123 wrote: »
    Im going to list three players.

Torres, Mascherano, Suarez.

That's not answering the question which was "proven world class player we signed"

None of the above were proven world class players when we signed them. they had the potential to be and thankfully they fulfilled that potential in a red shirt before being sold on for significant profits to clubs who actually bought them as proven world class players.

I know it seems to be taboo to bring such things up in this thread but it's relevant. Rafa has hinted in an interview yesterday that he is will not renew his contract with Napoli at the end of the season as he misses his family in Liverpool too much and he will return to England. That oven isn't hot enough Brendan? Oh here let me turn it up for you :p

Have we ever signed a proven world class top top top player in the PL era?

Or ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Or ever?

Re-signing super Rush. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I said yesterday the owners need to put pressure on Rodgers to prove his metal as a manager and not start buying players to fix the problem (which cannot be fixed that way until January anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Or ever?
    Torres was definitely in the top tier of players when we got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

About these failures so far this season.

Southampton - Win
    City - Loss
    Spurs - Win
    Villa - Loss
    West Ham - Loss
    Everton - Draw.....at home
    West Brom - Win
    QPR - Win
    Hull - Draw......at home
    Newcastle - Loss
    Chelsea - Loss
    Points 14(11 without QPR)

Games against those teams last season(excluding QPR)

Southampton - Loss (Sturridge, no Suarez)
    City - Loss (Suarez & Sturridge)
    Spurs - Win (Suarez & Sturridge)
    Villa - Scraped a draw (Sturridge & Suarez)
    West Ham - Scraped a win (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Everton - Scraped a draw (Sturridge sub & Suarez)......this was away
    West Brom - Win (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Hull - Loss (Sturridge & Suarez)....this was away
    Newcastle - Scraped a draw despite having a man advantage (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Chelsea - Loss (Sturridge & Suarez)

Points 12

So we were 1 point better off against those teams with Suarez and Sturridge playing last season. For me i think we are still on track for 4th place this season.

Not comparing like with like pal

Torres was definitely in the top tier of players when we got him.

A lot of people questioned his goal scoring rate and his ability to withstand the PL pace and toughness.

He wasn't a sure fire thing, and certainly nobody predicted him to score 30+ goals in his first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Assuming no Sturridge Balotelli Sakho or Henderson for the w/e:

Mingnolet

Johnson
    Skrtel
    Lovren.....fresher than Toure after internationals...otherwise Id start Toure
    Moreno

Lucas
    Can

Sterling
    Gerrard
    Coutinho

Borini

Bench: Jones Toure Manquillo Markovic Lambert Rossiter Lallana

Knex. wrote: »
    A lot of people questioned his goal scoring rate and his ability to withstand the PL pace and toughness.

He wasn't a sure fire thing, and certainly nobody predicted him to score 30+ goals in his first year.
    Fergie himself said that he tried to bring Torres in the season we bought him. That is world class enough for me (or whatever moniker you want to use)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's still all to play for for me. The internationals are over for a while so we can keep the squad together for sustained periods of time. Sure Sturridge is injured again but **** like that happens. It happened with Owen, Torres, Gerrard. I have faith in the manager to turn it around, he done it last season, he'll do it again.

I would say I'm one of the more optimistic ones around here but I was just showing it wasn't exactly a like for like.

At the moment we just need to start winning. Nothing else will lift us from the current doom and gloom around here.

2 strikers and a win against Palace would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6 weeks out for Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Confirmation anyway.

Sturridge is out for 6 more weeks.
    James Pearce
    @JamesPearceEcho
    Full story: #LFC dealt a crushing blow as scans reveal Daniel Sturridge will be out for a further six weeks http://www.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

6 weeks unless he breaks down again which could be very likely to be honest with his history.

• Advertisement

Well lads, that's top 4 ruled out unless we see some sort of miracle transformation taking place with our attackers. We have 8 games between now and his expected return date. Where are we going to find the goals we desperately need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So much has changed for us and a lot of clubs. New teams, new managers and new players, different tactics etc
    Last season cant really be used to accurately determine how good/bad our current season is. It means nothing really when talking about results.

Your right. Last season has to be forgotten now.

As the saying goes, you're only as good as your last game.

Any chance Yesil is fit enough to take a chance on bring him up into the first team squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

At least as good as mata is a better way of looking at it.

Injury record over the last.

Hip/Thigh Injury - 18.11.2014
    Calf/Shin injury – 13.10.2014
    Thigh Muscle Strain – 05.09.2014
    Hamstring Injury – 31.07.2014
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 14.06.2014
    Hamstring Injury – 13.04.2013
    Ankle/Foot Injury - 29.11.2013
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 09.11.2013
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 01.09.2013
    Ankle/Foot Injury – 29.05.2013
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 19.03.2013
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 25.02.2013
    Hip/Thigh Injury – 03.02.2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Should we consider recalling Ibe in Jan or would that put too much pressure on him?
    Players are going to have to start performing. Some players are in a comfort zone & Rodgers needs to be harsher in terms of dropping certain players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If he plays again this season I'll be very surprised.

We need an experienced striker in January, it's as simple as that. FSG, Rodgers and the transfer committee need to get this one right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Any chance Yesil is fit enough to take a chance on bring him up into the first team squad.

Didn't he make the bench recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

ya... another 6 weeks of the cameras zooming in on Sturridge in the stands when there is a break in play....... great, fcukin great,,.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yesil is pretty injury prone himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

BenEadir wrote: »
    Sure but the problem is we can't outspend the clubs we're competing with. If they want him as much as we do they can match and (as Chelsea did with Willian and Salah if I'm not mistaken) they can also out spend us.

Or the business needs to be done quickly before other clubs show interest.
    May or may not be true but Liverpool playing hardball a bit too hard delayed deals for Salah and Mikityran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Playing hardball got Moreno for about 12 million rather than the 20 Seville wanted. Its a risk, swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just gonna leave this here.

328949.jpg

Playing hardball got Moreno for about 12 million rather than the 20 Seville wanted. Its a risk, swings and roundabouts.

Who else was prepared to pay 20m for him though?

Different scenarios to the other two

Here's a thought. There have been rumours that the owners have not been happy with Rodgers. With Sturridge out and a string of easy games ahead, if we don't get decent results, we could see Rodgers come under massive pressure. Would the owners consider sacking him over Christmas if our bad run extended until then?

• Advertisement

For January..

Cavani is on the outs at PSG by all accounts Zlatan doesn't want him there and whatever Zlatan wants Zlatan gets a PSG.

I wouldn't mind going for Lavezzi at PSG he might not be the greatest goal scorer but he his the kind of wing forward we have been crying out for works hard puts in a shift and can hurt teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

joe123 wrote: »
    Haha I knew this type of post would come along.

As Turtyturd said, there are varying levels of "what is world class"

Torres was leading the line for his national team and was off the back off a great tournament for Spain.

He was a huge talent and very like when City signed Aguero.

Mascherano along was Tevez was considered one of the best players to be coming out of South America. Remember the fuss that was kicked up when West Ham signed them two? Yeah I doubt youd be seeing that if West Ham signed Borini or Aspas when we did.

Suarez, another player playing regularly for his national side and was being touted as the player to watch in the 2010 world cup.

Any football fan with even the smallest bit of knowledge on the game knew how good these signings could be for us.

There is a world of difference in those type of signings and the types we are bringing in now.

Re Torres for Spain.
    Whilst starting for Spain highlights his ability, the Spain Torres played in pre Liverpool is nowhere near what they went onto achieve.
    Afaik Torres was involved in 2 major tournaments before Liverpool signed him.
    Euro 2004 where Spain failed to make it out of the group and World Cup 2006 where they exited om the round of 16.

Here's a thought. There have been rumours that the owners have not been happy with Rodgers. With Sturridge out and a string of easy games ahead, if we don't get decent results, we could see Rodgers come under massive pressure. Would the owners consider sacking him over Christmas if our bad run extended until then?

Didn't see those rumours myself. Any links?

He will get to the summer one way or another and he deserves that.

I have been a critic of his this season and last to be fair but he deserves to get to the summer.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Didn't he make the bench recently?

Didnt know he was good at carpentry. Multi talented!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement