Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sturridge was never going to sort all our problems, but that is one massive blow tbh.

these next 2 months are as big a test of Rodgers credentials as he could ask for.

i hope he comes out the other side with us still in the hunt for top 4, i really do. as much as it looks like we didn't buy as well as we could, he couldn't have foreseen having Sturridge out for this long, which has only compounded the blow of losing Suarez.

losing the 2 biggest reasons for our push last year is tough.

but he needs to find a way out, otherwise the pressure will, right or wrongly, become very uncomfortable.

He will get to the summer one way or another and he deserves that.

I have been a critic of his this season and last to be fair but he deserves to get to the summer.

He definitely deserves until the summer.

Anyone saying otherwise is fickle to the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't see those rumours myself. Any links?
    http://talksport.com/football/reports-fenway-sports-group-weigh-rodgers-liverpool-future-141115124706
    http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/11/rodgers-piled-pressure/

A decent wedge of speculation it has to be said, but it seems to me maybe everything isn't rosy. You have Gerrard backing up Rodgers about a new contract, and vice versa - in the mean time, we've seen no movement on either's contract.

I am not saying that anyone is close to the door, but there is definitely some tension there, and a few more bad results will only make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

http://talksport.com/football/reports-fenway-sports-group-weigh-rodgers-liverpool-future-141115124706
    http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/11/rodgers-piled-pressure/

A decent wedge of speculation it has to be said, but it seems to me maybe everything isn't rosy. You have Gerrard backing up Rodgers about a new contract, and vice versa - in the mean time, we've seen no movement on either's contract.

I am not saying that anyone is close to the door, but there is definitely some tension there, and a few more bad results will only make it worse.

Rafa adding to that as well by making it know he will probably finish up in Italy at the end of the season and move back to Liverpool to his family doesn't help with those rumors either.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/369811.html

That just add more fuel to the speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

brevity wrote: »
    If he plays again this season I'll be very surprised.

Whut ?

What insight have you got that this 6 week diagnosis to be fit is out by 20+ weeks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Whut ?

What insight have you got that this 6 week diagnosis to be fit is out by 20+ weeks !

Just a hunch.

brevity wrote: »
    Just a hunch.

Hyperbolic panic, to me ,my friend

I would be very very very very suprised if he does not play again this season

Whut ?

Well add that 6 weeks to the 8 he has already missed and he will probably pick up another knock (4/6 weeks) before the end of the season you are coming close to 20+ weeks to be fair.

The one we all know is he will pick up injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For January..

Cavani is on the outs at PSG by all accounts Zlatan doesn't want him there and whatever Zlatan wants Zlatan gets a PSG.

I wouldn't mind going for Lavezzi at PSG he might not be the greatest goal scorer but he his the kind of wing forward we have been crying out for works hard puts in a shift and can hurt teams.

Cavani, yes. Lavezzi, no thanks

Well add that 6 weeks to the 8 he has already missed and he will probably pick up another knock (4/6 weeks) before the end of the season you are coming close to 20+ weeks to be fair.

The one we all know is he will pick up injuries.

I am not going to try and predict that this injury will be Daniels last of the season ,nobody is that brave

Suggesting though that this injury will be replaced by another without him playing a minute of football between now and May is hysteria

Don’t get me wrong I want to yell at the sky and chicken little the situation as much as the next man. I think you can do that by suggesting our season could be over competitively before Daniel plays another minute , which without some brave/Smart/obvious decisions by Manager and players could well be the scenario .

Ahh the sky is falling in ,run for your lives !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rafa adding to that as well by making it know he will probably finish up in Italy at the end of the season and move back to Liverpool to his family doesn't help with those rumors either.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/369811.html

That just add more fuel to the speculation

I can't see FSG touching Rafa with a barge pole tbh.

IMO there are two possibilities that Rodgers gets sacked in the forseeable. The first is if this season gets worse and turns into a complete disaster, ie. finishing in ~10th place + early exit from the CL. In that scenario he could well get the boot at the end of the season, although not guaranteed that he would.

The second possibility is if come this time next year and the club is still floundering in and around the position they're currently in, with no real signs of improvement. It would be inevitable that he'd go in that scenario.

He will obvioulsy be given every reasonable chance to turn things around, he has built up too much goodwill not to be afforded that. Besides, there are hardly an abundance of available and obvious upgrades around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We won't be signing anyone, not after the pile of money we've spent, not with the squad full of dubs.

I am not going to try and predict that this injury will be Daniels last of the season ,nobody is that brave

Suggesting though that this injury will be replaced by another without him playing a minute of football between now and May is hysteria !

This injury has been picked up without playing a minute of football since his last injury.

The guy is a great footballer and we badly need him to be fit but his record of injuries is terrible and his record of picking them up is as good as his goal scoring when he is fit.

We know he will score goal and we also know he will pick up injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

We won't be signing anyone, not after the pile of money we've spent, not with the squad full of dubs.

Bit harsh on us Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ah heyor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Playing hardball got Moreno for about 12 million rather than the 20 Seville wanted. Its a risk, swings and roundabouts.

Thought 16m was Seville's asking price so the club saved 4m. Not a lot all tjing considered and for me the risks of that type of strategy outweigh the potential savings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

In agreement. I can't see us signing anyone - we'd need at least 30-35m sterling to bring in someone decent. We certainly won't have that. Seeing as how some of the bigger fee signings like Marko have been poor, how does Rodgers justify it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Throw the committee under the bus, and get Gerrard to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Augmerson wrote: »
    In agreement. I can't see us signing anyone - we'd need at least 30-35m sterling to bring in someone decent. We certainly won't have that. Seeing as how some of the bigger fee signings like Marko have been poor, how does Rodgers justify it?

:confused: I think we will definitely be buying a striker in January. Sturridge always injured or never far from injury.
    Borini who the manager didn't want to keep.
    Mario who the manager bought because - ridiculously - we seemed to run out of time/didn't have an alternative.
    Lambert - clearly not doing what Rodgers thought he would do. From that 4, only one - Sturridge - seems to have the manager's faith and he's the one least likely to be playing.
    We have to buy a striker in January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mosstin wrote: »
    :confused: I think we will definitely be buying a striker in January. Sturridge always injured or never far from injury.
    Borini who the manager didn't want to keep.
    Mario who the manager bought because - ridiculously - we seemed to run out of time/didn't have an alternative.
    Lambert - clearly not doing what Rodgers thought he would do. From that 4, only one - Sturridge - seems to have the manager's faith and he's the one least likely to be playing.
    We have to buy a striker in January.

No, we NEED to buy a striker, not have to.

It would be a serious blow to Rodgers stature in FSG eyes to have to look at spending a fair chunk of next years transfer budget on a player for a position we had purchased 2 players to play in already, Balotelli and Lambert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Don't mess with Dirk!

B21IQRkIcAI0PwR.jpg:large

5live wrote: »
    No, we NEED to buy a striker, not have to.

It would be a serious blow to Rodgers stature in FSG eyes to have to look at spending a fair chunk of next years transfer budget on a player for a position we had purchased 2 players to play in already, Balotelli and Lambert.

With 0 league goals between them. Mistakes were made. We have to buy a striker. If we don't, there's no way we'll get CL football next year and if we don't, it might be a long way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Don't mess with Dirk!

Calling Luckycharms to the Liverpool thread.

Cape that Dirk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We should have bought properly for up front when we had the chance. We didn't and look where we are now. We had the money, we had CL football to offer.

There may be conditions that would improve the likelihood of us buying in January, and that's if we get out of our CL group and put some good results together in the league and hover in or around 4th.

Anything off of that and no, we won't sign, because what'll be the point?

We didn't sign anyone last January when we could have really done with some depth in the squad and we were really pushing for the CL and after January the title. I know it wasn't that we didn't try but had FSG been willing to spend just a little bit more we could have had Salah, possibly Konoplyanka.

Previous actions don't bode well for this January.

Knex. wrote: »
    Calling Luckycharms to the Liverpool thread.

Cape that Dirk.

We need to see fire also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I was quite looking forward to December with sturridge back games against arsenal and Utd and 2 important cl games. Now its a month to fear almost a quarter of the league season between now and new years and don't see where the goals will come from.

At least we are balancing our lack of goals with a rock solid defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

rarnes1 wrote: »
    At least we are balancing our lack of goals with a rock solid defense

On this is Sakho back for the weekend? I'd like to give him and Toure a go together at the weekend. They can't be any worse than the two clowns that have been playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Like to see something like this team if he's fit.

=============Mignolet

Manquillo===Toure===Sakho===Moreno

==============Gerrard

======Henderson=====Can/Lallana

==============Coutinho

===========Sterling
    ================Ballotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

For January..

Cavani is on the outs at PSG by all accounts Zlatan doesn't want him there and whatever Zlatan wants Zlatan gets a PSG.

I wouldn't mind going for Lavezzi at PSG he might not be the greatest goal scorer but he his the kind of wing forward we have been crying out for works hard puts in a shift and can hurt teams.

I like Lavezzi but the priority is a striker. If Rodgers gets the funds for one top striker we would be doing well.

We also have to be careful: we're on the verge of becoming a Tottenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We made an absolute pig's ear of the transfers in the summer.
    After 5 year's we finally get to the champions league. We should have bought champions league proven quality players. We didn't

Eto and Remy instead of Lambert and Ballotelli. Borini should have been sold.
    Origi to come in next year and park off eto and his big wages
    Shaqiri instead of Markovic & lallana
    Lovren was a terrible buy. waste of money. Would it have been better value to get Joleon Lescott or Micah Richards.
    I think we could have bought noble from West ham for fairly Cheap. Very nice midfielder .
    Should have went for Song too on the cheap and add a bit of muscle to our midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

With 0 league goals between them. Mistakes were made. We have to buy a striker. If we don't, there's no way we'll get CL football next year and if we don't, it might be a long way back.

Look, I agree with you. A striker is needed and a damp good one, too.

I was just pointing out a possible loss of confidence by FSG in Rodgers and the possibility that any funds that would be used would reduce our summer transfer budget.

I can live with all our transfer dealings from last summer(leaving prices out of it)bar Balotelli. They were a mix of potential and here - and - now. There were always going to be problems integrating that number at one time and losing Suarez and now Sturridge certainly isn't making it any easier. I just fail to see why Balotelli was bought and then played out of position but in defense of Rodgers, Balotelli needs to pull the finger out and fast.

The highlight of the transfer window was when we were on the verge of signing Remy for 8 million and selling borini for 14 million. It all went downhill from there. Remy would've been perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm delighted to have lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The highlight of the transfer window was when we were on the verge of signing Remy for 8 million and selling borini for 14 million. It all went downhill from there. Remy would've been perfect.

This is where someone comes along and says "REMY? No thanks" as if he doesn't score goals or something.

5live wrote: »
    Look, I agree with you. A striker is needed and a damp good one, too.

I was just pointing out a possible loss of confidence by FSG in Rodgers and the possibility that any funds that would be used would reduce our summer transfer budget.

I can live with all our transfer dealings from last summer(leaving prices out of it)bar Balotelli. They were a mix of potential and here - and - now. There were always going to be problems integrating that number at one time and losing Suarez and now Sturridge certainly isn't making it any easier. I just fail to see why Balotelli was bought and then played out of position but in defense of Rodgers, Balotelli needs to pull the finger out and fast.

I don't see Origi being full of goals either - just doesn't seem to be that prolific.

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is where someone comes along and says "REMY? No thanks" as if he doesn't score goals or something.

Ye there was a fair bit of that at the time. Proven goalscorer could play centrally on his own or wide. Pace to burn aswell. I'd love to know was the deal really pulled due to his heart issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't see Origi being full of goals either - just doesn't seem to be that prolific.

Once again Lille are an extremely negative side. They concede few goals and score even less. I don't think anyone would be scoring lots of goals for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Based on what? Playing for Lille who are set up to defend first? You'd need to see him set free before writing him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bowlardo wrote: »
    We made an absolute pig's ear of the transfers in the summer.

Lovren was a terrible buy. waste of money. Would it have been better value to get Joleon Lescott or Micah Richards.

Thing is virtually nobody thought Lovren was a terrible buy at the time. Many thought we paid a bit too much but almost everyone felt he was a good defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You have the horrible feeling that our season will be completely over by Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thing is virtually nobody thought Lovren was a terrible buy at the time. Many thought we paid a bit too much but almost everyone felt he was a good defender.

Agreed. Him and Lalana the only ones I was extremely confident about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We were had. paid well over the odds. looked decent at Southampton but it was ridiculous that we poured money in to that buy when we haggled over others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    You have the horrible feeling that our season will be completely over by Christmas day.

brendan.gif?w=510

Based on what? Playing for Lille who are set up to defend first? You'd need to see him set free before writing him off.

Christ, where have I written him off? He doesn't seem to be the type of player who'll be prolific based on the fact that he isn't exactly the type of striker who spends much time in the box. Now whether that's to do with Lille's tactical set up or his natural inclination, I don't know. But given what I've seen of him, I just don't think he's a natural goalscorer (I hope I'm wrong) and we need one.

Rodgers is going to turn this around and prove he's as good as I think he is :)
    Or, he's going to crash and burn. Hurdles are there to he overcome or to bring you down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is there anywhere that is selling tkts for the arsenal gane on the 21dec or is that one a no hoper ?
    Sorry , is there a tkt thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

We can't score goals. We can't defend. Our midfield gets bypassed too easily and they're not creative enough. Gonna be an awful long season unless things change very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Super-Rush wrote: »
    About these failures so far this season.

Southampton - Win
    City - Loss
    Spurs - Win
    Villa - Loss
    West Ham - Loss
    Everton - Draw
    West Brom - Win
    QPR - Win
    Hull - Draw
    Newcastle - Loss
    Chelsea - Loss
    Points 14(11 without QPR)

Games against those teams last season(excluding QPR)

Southampton - Loss (Sturridge, no Suarez)
    City - Loss (Suarez & Sturridge)
    Spurs - Win (Suarez & Sturridge)
    Villa - Scraped a draw (Sturridge & Suarez)
    West Ham - Scraped a win (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Everton - Scraped a draw (Sturridge sub & Suarez)
    West Brom - Win (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Hull - Loss (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Newcastle - Scraped a draw despite having a man advantage (Sturridge & Suarez)
    Chelsea - Loss (Sturridge & Suarez)

Points 12

So we were 1 point better off against those teams with Suarez and Sturridge playing last season. For me i think we are still on track for 4th place this season.

I'll be very very surprised if we get top 4 this season. Losing Suarez and Sturridge without World Class replacements makes it a massive challenge.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    brendan.gif?w=510

This is quite brilliant by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement