Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mosstin wrote: »
    This is quite brilliant by the way.

Have you worked out what set its off? I was thinking it looks like a typical Eastenders Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Have you worked out what set its off? I was thinking it looks like a typical Eastenders Christmas.

Arfur Fowler innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like Arthur Dent to me.

Looks like Arthur Dent to me.

I wouldn't rule him out. (after a google)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    At least we are balancing our lack of goals with a rock solid defense

arrested-development-business-model.png

I think we need to gobias a striker in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/9563292/transfer-news-divock-origi-open-to-joining-liverpool-from-lille-in-january
    Origi admits to being aware of the rumours suggesting he could soon be on his way to England, and says he would be open to making a move if Lille are willing to let him go.

He said in the Daily Star: "It is not me who makes the decisions but if the club choose to let me go in January, I would join Liverpool.

"I said that I would stay for the whole season and I wish to remain honourable to that, of course.

"But if there was a decision by the clubs, I would not say that I would not like to go to Liverpool in January.

"I would love to move to Liverpool sooner rather than later.

"I can’t wait to be playing in the Premier League because I can now see that it will suit me better. I think there are good things waiting for me with Liverpool.

Do it. Do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

MD1990 wrote: »
    Interesting piece on Gerrard

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9570579/liverpool-captain-steven-gerrards-form-at-34-sees-him-making-fewer-goals-tackles-interceptions-and-runs[/QU

This just proves what I have been saying all season he needs to be dropped but BR hasn't the balls! he has been 1 of our worst players this seasons!

Great Managers make big calls! says it all to me about Rodgers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

One of the most frustrating things for me is the fact that in his first 12-18 months Rodgers made lots of ballsy team selections, trying new guys out and almost always benching the out of form players. Now he is the complete opposite, what he did with the team selection for the Chelsea match after what happened in Madrid was gutless and clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

benny79 wrote: »

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9570579/liverpool-captain-steven-gerrards-form-at-34-sees-him-making-fewer-goals-tackles-interceptions-and-runs[/QU

This just proves what I have been saying all season he needs to be dropped but BR hasn't the balls! he has been 1 of our worst players this seasons!

Yes, drop Gerrard, because the likes of Lucas and Allen are so very clearly pulling up trees to give them preference over Gerrard.

• Advertisement

Just confirms what anyone watching already knows. I warned about this happening and surely enough it has. 10 players with Gerrard on the pitch (nine with Balotelli) no wonder Liverpool are midtable.

Of course Sky is still a cheerleader so after pointing out the obvious they still include
    Given that Liverpool have kept only two clean sheets since April, the situation is becoming critical for Rodgers. Solutions within the squad are not obvious although Emre Can would appear capable of becoming an important option in that holding role. Even so, the value of keeping Gerrard on side remains far greater than any statistic and a new contract would seem inevitable.

Alas Rodgers seems to agree.

As long as Gerrard is playing every game Liverpool will be pinned back in their own half for too much of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

The Reason why Gerrard was so Effective last season, was because we had an Interchangeable Front 3 back then.

He would Ping the Ball from Side to Side and one of Sturridge/Sterling/Suarez would Latched on to it, and the Defender has to make a Choice whether to Follow them or Stay in Place.

Our Front 3 was so Dynamic in Attack, that they Pull the Defenders all over the place. Creating plenty of Spaces, for us to Exploit.

None of that is happening right now. And it's because the Strikers we've gotten in the Summer, can't play like that.

Our Forward Play is just too Static. Making us very Predictable and Easy to Defend.

Since our Current Lineup can't Profit from Gerrard's Hollywood Passes like we used to, and it's not like we're going to Outscore our Opponents anytime soon, I think we will be better off replacing him with someone more Suited to the DM Role (Allen, Lucas, Can).

But like everyone has said, it will be all down to BR, and whether he has the Balls to do it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Yes, drop Gerrard, because the likes of Lucas and Allen are so very clearly pulling up trees to give them preference over Gerrard.

I agree but we need to mange him better. We cannot expect him to perform week in , week out. As such he suffers in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

It's going to make us more Solid in the Middle, and by extension the Back too.

Right now, the only Player we have that can make use of Gerrard's Passes is Sterling. And look what happens when he gets on 1, he is immediately met by 2 or more Defenders.

They couldn't do that when we had Suarez and Sturridge on the Team. Unfortunately we don't have them or even anyone closely like them right now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stop f*cking up quotes.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just play him behind the striker.

Just play him in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Don't mess with Dirk!

B21IQRkIcAI0PwR.jpg:large
    Knex. wrote: »
    Calling Luckycharms to the Liverpool thread.

Cape that Dirk.

Super Dirk :D

5b8IF74.jpg

Turtyturd;93113250
    wrote:
    Stop f*cking up quotes. yeah it's really

:mad:

annoying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'd have Dirk back tomorrow.

**** I'd have him back this evening.

Or sooner.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stop f*cking up quotes.

:pac:
    Augmerson wrote: »
    I'd have Dirk back tomorrow.

**** I'd have him back this evening.

Or sooner.

Nah, he wouldn't fit into the new system. He closes players down too much and scores goals, not looking for that from our forwards any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just confirms what anyone watching already knows. I warned about this happening and surely enough it has. 10 players with Gerrard on the pitch (nine with Balotelli) no wonder Liverpool are midtable.

We're any of your previous warnings on the issue incorrect though. Eventually people will be correct and Gerrard will be done. I still think he should be in the team most weeks but he should only play 1 game a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Why is his cape blowing in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Milkers wrote: »
    Why is his cape blowing in the wrong direction.

It's Dirk.

He doesn't answer to you or your narrow-minded concept of physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If we had of got remy & eto instead of Lamber and Ballotelli.
    sold borini
    Got Song - sold Lucas
    Got Shaqiri instead of Lallana and Markovic.
    Sold off Johnson kept Wisdom
    including wages etc I see us making money from those transactions not to mention alot quality better team for it

We have more than enough quality young players in Ibe, tex ,suso, ilori that we didn't need to buy potential players . we needed to buy quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bowlardo wrote: »
    If we had of got remy & eto instead of Lamber and Ballotelli.
    sold borini
    Got Song - sold Lucas
    including wages etc I see us making money from those transactions not to mention alot quality better team for it

We have more than enough quality young players in Ibe, tex ,suso, ilori that we didn't need to buy potential players . we needed to buy quality

Rather than Shaqiri instead of Markovic & Lallana, Shaqiri simply instead of Markovic. Lallana could still have been bought and the finances would still be similar.

In fairness it did look like an effort was made to get Shaqiri but Bayern weren't willing to let him go. I'm guessing they were afraid of being short if injuries came along.

Shaqiri after Sanchez are the 2 I was disappointed weren't sealed.

We're any of your previous warnings on the issue incorrect though. Eventually people will be correct and Gerrard will be done. I still think he should be in the team most weeks but he should only play 1 game a week.

Gerrards been finished for 4 years now according to some.

Eventually it'll be correct.

I agree that he shouldn't be a certain starter but when you look at the guys on the bench it doesn't fill me with confidence

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrards been finished for 4 years now according to some.

Eventually it'll be correct.

I agree that he shouldn't be a certain starter but when you look at the guys on the bench it doesn't fill me with confidence

Well, it depends what you're asking them to do.

A midfield 3 of Can, Henderson and Coutinho has more quality than every midfield on the planet bar about 15 teams.

We don't need them to win the World Cup. We need them to work hard, grab a few goals and generally outperform such luminary midfields as those of Hull, Palace and Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Song and Remy were definitely ones that got away in the last transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rumours of Johnson off to Roma. Maybe as soon as January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

The midfield looked much better against madrid than chelsea and that was before Gerrard made an appearance! Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of his but the fact of the matter he has been one of the worse players this season and is not getting dropped! Id play Can instead all day long till he got his hunger back.

The midfield looked much better against madrid than chelsea and that was before Gerrard made an appearance! Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of his but the fact of the matter he has been one of the worse players this season and is not getting dropped! Id play Can instead all day long till he got his hunger back.

Compared to most, Gerrard is starving. He's just not capable of playing every week. That's never coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gerrard has a role to play in our squad. Just not as big a part as he has been given.

Players like Lallana Sterling and Coutinho are getting rotated and Gerrard has played every EPL game and CL game bar RM. Its almost ridiculous now.

Well that escalated quickly!

http://tomkinstimes.com/2014/11/a-decade-of-big-club-transfer-spending/

A good article by Tomkins and co.

TL;DR:

Transfers are 50/50, signing "big name" players or players who cost a lot isn't any safer a bet and of those that do work out, a large % don't deliver straight away.

Hardly an earth-shattering revelation but something to bear in mind by those baying for blood and dismissing our transfer strategy.

• Advertisement

Rumours of Johnson off to Roma. Maybe as soon as January.

I'll back his bags, anyone here run him to the airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well that escalated quickly!

The injury? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'll back his bags, anyone here run him to the airport?

I'd recommend driving. Poor fella can't run anymore.

Whey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd recommend driving. Poor fella can't run anymore.

• Advertisement

Re. Gerrard
    I warned about this happening and surely enough it has.

As others have said, you're bound to get it right eventually.
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    If we had of got remy & eto instead of Lambert and Ballotelli.
    sold borini
    Got Song - sold Lucas

You forgot to mention Rodgers should've bought this lad back in January.
    2013-real-estate-crystal-ball.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

just over 6 months ago our greatest season in decades ended (in terms of excitement and general holy shiiteness this could happen type feelings) .. we didnt win anything but for sheer scale of emotions over the final 5 months of the season for me it felt awesome as a lfc fan to experience that ..something it seems that has been forgotten already by many.

other clubs have that every year,not us.. brendan rodgers and his team gave it to us last year, and a lot of ye want him gone because we are not scoring or winning and are playing terrible right now. to see so called fans in here calling for his head 6months on is disgraceful.

or keep chopping and changing managers,who will keep chopping and changing players and we will stay where we have been for decades ...

OR .. give the man who came closer than anyone a bit of fcking breathing room and let him rebuild ,mistakes will be made and have been ... he has proven that he can do it,one slip cost him 6 months ago,he would be a hero now other than that,even if we had the same start this season we have had ... its not his fault danny is out,or luis went,or lovren flopped ... you would think he could forsee all this the way ye slate him . he deserves this season and next to prove last season was not a freak ..

fan's me hole

The doubt some people have is understandable, there are serious questions over whether last season was down to the manager or the best player to have ever played in the league.

The doubt some people have is understandable, there are serious questions over whether last season was down to the manager or the best player to have ever played in the league.

What about the games without Suarez?

T-K-O wrote: »
    What about the games without Suarez?

Where we scrapped to 1-0 victories?

I don't fully buy it myself, I think it was down to both, but I can see why it is a concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

How did Cristiano Ronaldo influence Liverpool's title challenge last season :confused:

Oh you.

Where we scrapped to 1-0 victories?

I don't fully buy it myself, I think it was down to both, but I can see why it is a concern.

I don't recall the actual scores but we performed at a much higher level.

To be honest, I don't know what to think. He's a massive loss and I think that has had a negative impact on the players. We don't do the simple things in games, the little things that made us so difficult to play against last year, with or without Luis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

and suarez has said that the MANAGER built the team and tactics,not suarez.

good as he is i cannot and have not seen him play as well for anyone else,before or since

just over 6 months ago our greatest season in decades ended (in terms of excitement and general holy shiiteness this could happen type feelings) .. we didnt win anything but for sheer scale of emotions over the final 5 months of the season for me it felt awesome as a lfc fan to experience that ..something it seems that has been forgotten already by many.

other clubs have that every year,not us.. brendan rodgers and his team gave it to us last year, and a lot of ye want him gone because we are not scoring or winning and are playing terrible right now. to see so called fans in here calling for his head 6months on is disgraceful.

or keep chopping and changing managers,who will keep chopping and changing players and we will stay where we have been for decades ...

OR .. give the man who came closer than anyone a bit of fcking breathing room and let him rebuild ,mistakes will be made and have been ... he has proven that he can do it,one slip cost him 6 months ago,he would be a hero now other than that,even if we had the same start this season we have had ... its not his fault danny is out,or luis went,or lovren flopped ... you would think he could forsee all this the way ye slate him . he deserves this season and next to prove last season was not a freak ..

fan's me hole

Rodgers has the backing of the Anfield crowd which is really what matters.

Internet fans don't really come into the equation.

Ftr, he definitely deserves a good chance to fix this. He's done a lot wrong and deserves criticism but so do the players. Some of them has been atrocious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement