Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

He hasnt played since August but Sturridge has more league goals than all our other strikers put together. 1 goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He hasnt played since August but Sturridge has more league goals than all our other strikers put together. 1 goal.

dx_03.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Is your man own goal our top league goalscorer with 2 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sterling has 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Y'know, it's a bit frustrating seeing other teams take a risk on freescoring guys from other countries, while we tend to always go for guys with just 'ok' goalscoring records who have been tested more.

Obviously it doesn't work plenty of times, though it does seem to be becoming more of a success more recently - perhaps the quality of defending is improving in other leagues, so a good record means more?

Just annoying that our last two Dutch league freescoring imports have added so much to the team (Kuyt and Suarez) but we haven't gone back into that market since. Meanwhile Southampton reap the rewards of carefully judging and plucking the gems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sterling has 3.

Sterling isn't a striker though, well, at least he isnt being used as a striker.

Borini/Balottelli/Lambert = 0 which was rarnes point I'm guessing

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sterling isn't a striker though, well, at least he isnt being used as a striker.

Its incredibly damning and quite depressing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Borini & Lambert really can't be blamed for not scoring since they aren't been played giving them 10 mintues here and there it is unfair to judge them.

Balottelli has missed a hat full of chances but is getting in the right places even if the team hasn't been playing to his strenghts.

Untill each player is given a chance to play with another striking partner for a number of games and to build a partnership thats when it will be fair to judge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Read my reply to the post above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'd say both Suarez and Sturridge had broken the ten goal mark this time last season. If not 15 even.

Suarez scored more against Norwich alone than all our strikers have managed this season so far in the League.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's depressing how much less I'm looking forward to our next game than I have been at any time in the last nearly 4 years since the end of the Hodgson era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

5starpool wrote: »
    It's depressing how much less I'm looking forward to our next game than I have been at any time in the last nearly 4 years since the end of the Hodgson era.
    In less than a year many fans have gone from watching Liverpool's best & most attacking team in the Premier League era to one of the worst attacking teams in the Premier League era so far this season. Its been an apalling season & atm there are no signs its going to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Vicxas wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that after Borini was told go find another club hes now being tasked with saving our season.....

And after insisting on staying, he better have the goods/goals to deliver.

Read my reply to the post above it.

Apologies good sir. Completely different conversation. :)

garra wrote: »
    And after insisting on staying, he better have the goods/goals to deliver.

Well, this is the chance he wanted. I have no problems with a guy who wants to stay and try hard to earn his place. Borini should be applauded for his ambition and loyalty.

The 14m bid from Sunderland was a dream bid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Well, this is the chance he wanted. I have no problems with a guy who wants to stay and try hard to earn his place. Borini should be applauded for his ambition and loyalty.

The 14m bid from Sunderland was a dream bid though.

His ambition is better served at a club where he would naturally be good enough to start matches for, his ego cost him a starting place at another club imo. Having said all that, I hope he thrives now - I like his on-pitch attitude and work rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

BenEadir wrote: »
    What does that mean? FSG own the club, it's 100% theirs. How do you think "the club" would back FSG? FSG put their money down, they write the cheques, they decide how their money is spent and who spends it.

Confused :confused:
    Probably meant "Do FSG back Rodgers" but mixed it up along the way.
    Yeah, typing in a bit of a hurry.

If the club sanction a purchase, will it be someone that fits Rodgers ethos of football, being a ready-to-play-now type of player, or a younger player that has shown an ability to score goal but not yet a play-all-the-games type that fits better into the FSG type of player(and able to be sold in 2-3 years time for little loss or for a big profit later)?

I think FSGs thinking on Rodgers could be laid bare in January by the type of player bought, if any.

Brendan Rodgers on Borini the day he signed him.
    He is arguably the best physical player I've worked with in terms of his pace, power and fitness.

^^^ The guy is made of glass.
    He's a big talent, 21 years of age, he scores goals, and his passion, focus and concentration is a very important part of his game - and a big part of what you want from a player.
    Mentally, he's very strong. We've got a player who is on the up and someone who I think Liverpool will benefit from

Why wouldn't we want him to stay if he really is that good £14m is an insult.

Ya, he never really kicked on. At the time we signed him he was in the Italian squad(?) young and full of potential (ugh) and I remember thinking he could be good for us. Again though he didn't really have an impressive strike rate, and really didn't improve unfortunately. Still though, bought for 10m and could have made 4m profit, would have been as much as any of us could have hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He is? I'm not aware of him being injured that much this season. :confused:

mosstin wrote: »
    He is? I'm not aware of him being injured that much this season. :confused:

As a Liverpool player this does not inculde his time on loan at Sunderland.

Metatarsal fracture Oct 11, 2012 to Jan 13, 2013 94 days games missed 21Liverpool FC.

Unknow injury Feb 17, 2013 to Apr 27, 2013 69 days games missed 10Liverpool FC.

Then this Summer on the US tour he injured his shoulder.

He also missed 11 games for Roma.

He missed 14 games at Chelsea.

In total so far he has missed 56 games through injury at the age of 23 I would say he is made of glass just like Sturridge.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/fabio-borini/verletzungen/spieler/96754

As a Liverpool player this does not inculde his time on loan at Sunderland.

Metatarsal fracture Oct 11, 2012 to Jan 13, 2013 94 days games missed 21Liverpool FC.

Unknow injury Feb 17, 2013 to Apr 27, 2013 69 days games missed 10Liverpool FC.

Then this Summer on the US tour he injured his shoulder.

He also missed 11 games for Roma.

He missed 14 games at Chelsea.

In total so far he has missed 56 games through injury at the age of 23 I would say he is made of glass just like Sturridge.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/fabio-borini/verletzungen/spieler/96754

But this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont think Liverpool have had good success with Italian players over the years Ballotelli, Aqualani, Dossena, Borini.

Note to Brendan Rodgers dont sign anymore Italians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Borini has worked his socks off whenever he's played this season which is more that Mario has, he'll get a run of games now so let's hope the goals will follow

But this season?

Plenty of splinters in his a55 from sitting on the bench this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I'm not really a believer in Brendan Rogers and if I am to be, it will take considerable time yet...

As far as I can see - it was a genuine world class player in Luis Suarez making that entire squad look world class, and even more shockingly, making the manager look world class. Don't get me wrong, I like Rogers, the man....I really do. But this season thus far, from a managerial perspective, has been an absolute car crash to say the least. Is the world falling in around LFC? No, but if we lay all of our cards on the table I think it's fair to say we all thought Liverpool would be doing better at this point in time.

I know the players haven't been performing but that squad just isn't capable of giving the Champions League a right bash and that blame must ultimately fall on the manager. In the summer, Rogers did a Spurs 2.0. Tottenham took the Bale money and splashed with little dividends - Liverpool look to be doing the same.

For a coach that, we can assume, should know a thing or two more than anyone on this board about football and his team, Rogers made a meal of the transfer window. When Balotelli was first linked with a move back to England my ten year old nephew turned to me and said "what idiots would take him?". Let's face facts, the guy may have all the talent in the world but he's just not interested. He wants to live the playboy lifestyle and would rather be out in a nightclub getting pissed on a Tuesday night than in bed at 9pm to be up nice and early for training the next day. Everywhere he's been trouble has followed; he had a brawl with Mancini for crying out loud. Mourinho hated him at Inter, the people at AC Milan said he was the most difficult person to work with. What exactly does this tell us? So why did Rogers buy him?! He's not particularly the kind the of player that's going to chase down balls into the corner flag in the 89th minute and he's not going to get stuck in when it's required. Balotelli wants the ball played to him a certain way and if it's not, that's your fault. That's not the kind of player suited to Liverpool F.C.

What about Mignolet? Prone to the odd blunder. Well, who else was there? How about the World Cups favourite goalie? That Mexican chap with the afro...Ochoa? Went on a free transfer last summer after getting to the knockout stages in Brazil. Wouldn't he of been worth a punt?

For me Lovren has been woeful. Wouldn't a bid for Ron Vlaar at Villa had made more sense? Put a great shift in at the World Cup for Holland and was valued at half the price Lovren was. What about Garay that left to go to Russia? Gerrard is well past it.

So many options. I just think Rogers made a meal of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ron Vlaar?

Really? Well he has been injured all year

Bowlardo wrote: »
    If we had of got remy & eto instead of Lamber and Ballotelli.
    sold borini
    Got Song - sold Lucas
    Got Shaqiri instead of Lallana and Markovic.
    Sold off Johnson kept Wisdom
    including wages etc I see us making money from those transactions not to mention alot quality better team for it

We have more than enough quality young players in Ibe, tex ,suso, ilori that we didn't need to buy potential players . we needed to buy quality
    Ibe as oppose to Markovic for example, I thought he done plenty to deserve a chance this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I see were linked with Anderlecht wonderkid Dennis Praet today. Now thats a deal Id love to see happen. Big star in the making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ibe as oppose to Markovic for example, I thought he done plenty to deserve a chance this year

Ibe is better off having been loaned and playing regularly.

We should actually maybe have done the same with Markovic to be honest. Was developing very nicely with Benfica, could have done with giving him another year there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Dayum wrote: »
    I'm not really a believer in Brendan Rogers and if I am to be, it will take considerable time yet...

As far as I can see - it was a genuine world class player in Luis Suarez making that entire squad look world class, and even more shockingly, making the manager look world class. Don't get me wrong, I like Rogers, the man....I really do. But this season thus far, from a managerial perspective, has been an absolute car crash to say the least. Is the world falling in around LFC? No, but if we lay all of our cards on the table I think it's fair to say we all thought Liverpool would be doing better at this point in time.

I know the players haven't been performing but that squad just isn't capable of giving the Champions League a right bash and that blame must ultimately fall on the manager. In the summer, Rogers did a Spurs 2.0. Tottenham took the Bale money and splashed with little dividends - Liverpool look to be doing the same.

For a coach that, we can assume, should know a thing or two more than anyone on this board about football and his team, Rogers made a meal of the transfer window. When Balotelli was first linked with a move back to England my ten year old nephew turned to me and said "what idiots would take him?". Let's face facts, the guy may have all the talent in the world but he's just not interested. He wants to live the playboy lifestyle and would rather be out in a nightclub getting pissed on a Tuesday night than in bed at 9pm to be up nice and early for training the next day. Everywhere he's been trouble has followed; he had a brawl with Mancini for crying out loud. Mourinho hated him at Inter, the people at AC Milan said he was the most difficult person to work with. What exactly does this tell us? So why did Rogers buy him?! He's not particularly the kind the of player that's going to chase down balls into the corner flag in the 89th minute and he's not going to get stuck in when it's required. Balotelli wants the ball played to him a certain way and if it's not, that's your fault. That's not the kind of player suited to Liverpool F.C.

What about Mignolet? Prone to the odd blunder. Well, who else was there? How about the World Cups favourite goalie? That Mexican chap with the afro...Ochoa? Went on a free transfer last summer after getting to the knockout stages in Brazil. Wouldn't he of been worth a punt?

For me Lovren has been woeful. Wouldn't a bid for Ron Vlaar at Villa had made more sense? Put a great shift in at the World Cup for Holland and was valued at half the price Lovren was. What about Garay that left to go to Russia? Gerrard is well past it.

Bar Balotelli lots of monday morning quarterbacking. Are you basing buying the Mexican keeper simply on the WC.
    That's a foolproof system for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Breaks my heart that it was so obvious that Alderweireld suited EPL so well: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056842291/814/#post83044271

Southampton, since scooping him up on loan for a song, have conceded 2 in 7 games and 0 in last 4 I think. Gutting, given our own issues continuing despite no shortage of spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So basically he should't get any credit for the good things but shoulder the blame when things go aren't going entirely to plan?

His name is Brendan Rodgers FFS........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rodgers made a meal of the transfer window and as a way to improve you suggest the Mexican keepr and Ron Vlaar? Couldn't make that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

His name is Brendan Rodgers FFS........

Ahem...The Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Rodgers made a meal of the transfer window and as a way to improve you suggest the Mexican keepr and Ron Vlaar? Couldn't make that up.

Nope. I'm simply throwing out names that would have been better options than what he did. In other words, while not the lowest common denominator...would have done a better job than what he has achieved thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Nope. I'm simply throwing out names that would have been better options than what he did. In other words, while not the lowest common denominator...would have done a better job than what he has achieved thus far.

But they wouldn't have been better options. I'd much prefer having Mingolet in goal than Ochoa.

Petr Cech's price tag is £7m on some of the red tops tomorrow.

The Mirror going with Brendan Rodgers wants Berahino in January...£15m-plus :(

• Advertisement

Well what's the alternative ? Top class striker needed that's available ? I'm open to suggestions
    Edit: BTW I don't think he's the solution either^

Well what's the alternative ? Top class striker needed that's available ? I'm open to suggestions
    Edit: BTW I don't think he's the solution either

What makes you think Berahino is top class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ahem...The Rodgers.

'The Rogers'.....it is known.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, buying the new flavour of the month from a club that bought him for a relative pittance recently is just what we need,

What makes you think Berahino is top class?

Edited post since , BTW I don't think he's the solution it's just a lack of ambition bidding for him , at least we had an offer in for Sanchez that's all I'm getting at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Berahino is the idea player

... for Chelsea to buy and rarely play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Looking at a list of players available on a free transfer next summer earlier, Liverpool should be all over someone like Luiz Adrianno. I suppose some people can point to the fact he's scoring goals in the Ukrainian league as something to use against him, but he's regularly been doing the business in the Champions League for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Y'know, it's a bit frustrating seeing other teams take a risk on freescoring guys from other countries, while we tend to always go for guys with just 'ok' goalscoring records who have been tested more.

Obviously it doesn't work plenty of times, though it does seem to be becoming more of a success more recently - perhaps the quality of defending is improving in other leagues, so a good record means more?

Just annoying that our last two Dutch league freescoring imports have added so much to the team (Kuyt and Suarez) but we haven't gone back into that market since. Meanwhile Southampton reap the rewards of carefully judging and plucking the gems.

Its about lads with cojones. Self confidence and guts. Those lads had it. Some of the squad have it but they need to take more responsibility.

Certain players look ****ed though. Does Lovren need counselling? A lad like Toure seems to have more mental strength. We need winners in the team.

I want to see more of Leiva, Lallana and Can. I think Sakho has the spirit but has he the technique? I want Flanno back for RB. I want Sterling to be rested, for a while. I want Coutinho to be coached to protect the ball when deep. I want Lovren Dropped. I want Borini and Balotelli up front. Finally, where's Suso as a super sub?

Breaks my heart that it was so obvious that Alderweireld suited EPL so well: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056842291/814/#post83044271

Southampton, since scooping him up on loan for a song, have conceded 2 in 7 games and 0 in last 4 I think. Gutting, given our own issues continuing despite no shortage of spending.

Liverpool have got so stupid at dwfending I'm resigning myself to the fact that it wouldn't matter who is brought in at cb. They'll turn crap once they throw on the geansai.

I assume Alderweild has Wanyama and Schneiderlein as a duo in front. It's a screen like that Liverpool need imo for the circus defending to improve.
    It sadly won't alleviate the inability to deal with corners but baby steps and all that.

Whose to say Vlaar would have been any improvement in the Liverpool set up. Lovren wasn't the disaster for Southampton that he has became since joining Liverpool

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement