Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Liverpool have got so stupid at dwfending I'm resigning myself to the fact that it wouldn't matter who is brought in at cb. They'll turn crap once they throw on the geansai.

I assume Alderweild has Wanyama and Schneiderlein as a duo in front. It's a screen like that Liverpool need imo for the circus defending to improve.
    It sadly won't alleviate the inability to deal with corners but baby steps and all that.

Im as big a lovren critic as anyone to date but this is a very good point re. Wanyama and schneiderlan. Lovren had those two the majority of the time sitting in front of him last season but he comes here and instead has a 34 y/o gerrard who's legs are going, some change of style for him. Rodgers probably has no interest in a pure defensive defensive mid anyways, proabbly sees them as a waste on the pitch or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Its about lads with cojones. Self confidence and guts. Those lads had it. Some of the squad have it but they need to take more responsibility.

Certain players look ****ed though. Does Lovren need counselling? A lad like Toure seems to have more mental strength. We need winners in the team.

I want to see more of Leiva, Lallana and Can. I think Sakho has the spirit but has he the technique? I want Flanno back for RB. I want Sterling to be rested, for a while. I want Coutinho to be coached to protect the ball when deep. I want Lovren Dropped. I want Borini and Balotelli up front. Finally, where's Suso as a super sub?

Suso is injured, agree with much of this, unfortunately it takes the manager to discover some balls as well. He seems desperately conservative in the face of a crisis. He ought to be throwing caution to the wind and trying new player combinations and formations instead of clinging on to players who have let him down and a formation that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a good while now due to work so I don't know where the rest of ye stand with regards to Liverpool's poor form this season. But I've gotten to the stage where in the lead up to a matchday I am very undecided whether I'll bother watching them play. Someone posted here before the Chelsea game about taking some time away from watching Liverpool matches and at the time I wondered why someone would do that, and I thought to myself that I would watch them play any day.

But it's now nearly 24 hours till they play again and I am undecided. Do I risk wasting 2 hours of my prized day off to watch a listless Liverpool struggle to beat Crystal Palace, with the near certainty that a loss will ruin my day? Or will I cave in and watch them with the familiar hope and optimism that any seasoned Liverpool fan has?

It's so depressing to have gotten to this stage, 11 games into a season and we have lost 5 already. We are not good to watch. I think I only missed one match all last season. I haven't missed one yet, but there are are couple of games I wished I hadn't seen. Next game is against a team 4th from bottom. I have to admit I can't see us getting a decent result.

Come on Liverpool, make me happy again goddamit!!

Hopefully after this sad rant they'll play like a team that wants to win and actually win. Feck it, I probably will watch it anyway. It's hard not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

klose wrote: »
    Im as big a lovren critic as anyone to date but this is a very good point re. Wanyama and schneiderlan. Lovren had those two the majority of the time sitting in front of him last season but he comes here and instead has a 34 y/o gerrard who's legs are going, some change of style for him. Rodgers probably has no interest in a pure defensive defensive mid anyways, proabbly sees them as a waste on the pitch or something.

That just emphasises the fact that a CB shouldn't really have been the priority! We had Agger, Skrtel and Sahko as options along with a few under studies.

We have been screaming for a decent bloody central midfielder with pace but BR just doesn't seem to see it as a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a good while now due to work so I don't know where the rest of ye stand with regards to Liverpool's poor form this season. But I've gotten to the stage where in the lead up to a matchday I am very undecided whether I'll bother watching them play. Someone posted here before the Chelsea game about taking some time away from watching Liverpool matches and at the time I wondered why someone would do that, and I thought to myself that I would watch them play any day.

But it's now nearly 24 hours till they play again and I am undecided. Do I risk wasting 2 hours of my prized day off to watch a listless Liverpool struggle to beat Crystal Palace, with the near certainty that a loss will ruin my day? Or will I cave in and watch them with the familiar hope and optimism that any seasoned Liverpool fan has?

It's so depressing to have gotten to this stage, 11 games into a season and we have lost 5 already. We are not good to watch. I think I only missed one match all last season. I haven't missed one yet, but there are are couple of games I wished I hadn't seen. Next game is against a team 4th from bottom. I have to admit I can't see us getting a decent result.

Come on Liverpool, make me happy again goddamit!!

Hopefully after this sad rant they'll play like a team that wants to win and actually win. Feck it, I probably will watch it anyway. It's hard not to.

Feel the same way, mainly because I just know what the performance will be like irrespective of the result. The results annoy me and they've been flattering, but the insipid play annoys me more.

When he played Borini, then said "I thoght Borini was outstanding" and dropped him again, that was the limit for me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's people going to the games in the cold and cheering the team on even when we're playing crap.

Yeah, I'll watch the game. All the games. I'll watch them if we're in division 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Not watch them? Eh, I think you should reassess if you enjoy football. Things may be bad at the moment but I'm gagging to watch a Liverpool football match. 12 games in the next 40 days. Bring'em on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not watch them? Eh, I think you should reassess if you enjoy football. Things may be bad at the moment but I'm gagging to watch a Liverpool football match. 12 games in the next 40 days. Bring'em on :)

To be honest, I have done. But then I enjoy watchign international games, champs league games and other matches more simply because they're more entertaining and less predictable.

This is something I've noticed happenign over a few years, mainly because I moved away and I don't watch Football Focus or Match of the Day any more and I've discovered just how overrated the Premier League is generally speaking. Also (as is the case with other leagues in fairness) there's only going to be one of two maybe three teams who are going to be at the top come the end of season. This results in more drama in a one-off match than over a season when it peters out towards the end. Even Man U are beginnign to feel it. I think they'll get back into Europe, but I don't think they (or anyone else) will challange Man City or Chelsea for the league for some time. Liverpool's run last year was an exception rather than a rule and City and Chelsea have beoth spent big in order to ensure it never happens again.

But with Liverpool, I feel they've hit a glass ceiling in that they can't attract the players they need even when they have more going for them than their rivals. We cant throw money at problems like the others can and until we can I don't see anything changing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Grayditch wrote: »
    There's people going to the games in the cold and cheering the team on even when we're playing crap.

Yeah, I'll watch the game. All the games. I'll watch them if we're in division 3.

I hear you. Sure Shankly himself said something like "If you don't support us when we lose or draw, then don't support us".

I was just having a bit of a rant but as the hours tick by I am gradually thinking ahead about getting up early tomorrow, looking for live streams and logging into Boards for the match thread. I'll watch them cos at the back of my mind a voice is telling me that if I don't watch this game then I'll miss seeing Liverpool win. I'll watch them cos they are a part of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hey lads Danny Ings scored 2 so far today lets get him on a free!!!!!!!

He is in form and just what we need!!!!!

I am joking

Wisdom getting a footballing lesson from Hazard

Hey lads Danny Ings scored 2 so far today lets get him on a free!!!!!!!

He is in form and just what we need!!!!!

I am joking

Jordon Ibe has just scored his forth goal of the season for Derby - lets bring him back!

Decent little goal too

http://vine.co/v/OJL7ZdBzPK9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

klose wrote: »
    Decent little goal too

http://vine.co/v/OJL7ZdBzPK9

Nice projector, go easy on that bottle of whiskey tomorrow afternoon.

£50m and £1 for Sanchez in January

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Last season people were falling over themselves to post the match thread so that we could could enjoy how good we were. How times have changed, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

:(

Rodgers really ****ed this up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Last season people were falling over themselves to post the match thread so that we could could enjoy how good we were. How times have changed, sadly.

I think efforts to kill the spirit? ( I refuse to use banter) in the thread have played as big a part.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think efforts to kill the spirit? ( I refuse to use banter) in the thread have played as big a part.

No different from the crap seen in other threads. Watching the crap we play kills my spirit far more than others laughing about how bad we are. If we lose tomorrow though I expect it to be especially bad give nthe result earlier today. All to be expected though sadly and plenty from this thread play their part in it too when things swing in our favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No different from the crap seen in other threads. Watching the crap we play kills my spirit far more than others laughing about how bad we are. If we lose tomorrow though I expect it to be especially bad give nthe result earlier today. All to be expected though sadly and plenty from this thread play their part in it too when things swing in our favour.

That's not what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

That's not what I mean.
    I thought you loved banter

There is a fair chance I won't even watch this (unless I can find a really decent stream first go) but I'm starting a match thread. My luck has to turn at some point.

In more optimistic news the U21s had a 5-1 win in a friendly against Burnley. Sinclair bagged a HT and Ojo got the other two.

Team,Ward, Stewart, Maguire, Cleary, Lloyd Jones, Williams, Rossiter, Pelosi, Sinclair, Trickett-Smith, Ojo.
    O'Hanlon, Dunn, Yesil, Brad Smith and AN Other (not sure!) also played a part.

The U18s played out a madcap 5-5 draw against Derby County Sergi Canos with a HT.

Liverpool U18s: Firth, Lewis, Travis, Whelan, Hart, Chirivella, Brimmer (Nicholas 68), Phillips, Canos, Marsh, Kent

Chivs first game back since injury.

That's not what I mean.

What were you talking about then? In fighting among our own fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

£50m and £1 for Sanchez in January

A dream front three for ability and workrate Sanchez, Suarez and
    Rooney

Iago aspas subbed on after 75 minutes but 75 minutes too late. Emery out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m1 minute ago
    Mario Balotelli's just turned up at the boxing..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Aspas has scored 4 times for Sevilla in all competitions.
    Suarez has scored 0 times for Barcelona in all competitions.

Aspas likes to get very creative with corners.
    Suarez doesn't even take them.

Aspas is too sound of a lad to bite someone.
    Suarez is an evil, biting little fecker.

You folks get it yet?
    Pffft, and ye say Rodgers doesn't make good signings. Glad to know King Iago is back in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ballotelli is at the boxing, Sky just showed him in the crowd. Should he not be in bed in the hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ballotelli is at the boxing, Sky just showed him in the crowd. Should he not be in bed in the hotel?

The boxing is in Liverpool right.

We're away to Palace right?

I imagine we travelled down there today?

Has he been dropped/is he injured?

• Advertisement

He was sent home injured from International duty so probably did pass the fitness test.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The boxing is in Liverpool right.

We're away to Palace right?

I imagine we travelled down there today?

Has he been dropped/is he injured?

I hope to God he's injured. Doesn't look good for his Liverpool career if he's been dropped from the match day squad for a tricky away game.
    Also, I'd much rather see him in a controlled environment like a boxing event in his local area, than out on the town in Manchester again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rickie upfront tomorrow then

Rickie upfront tomorrow then

And he better have Borini playing beside him.

The Palace players will be quaking in their boots at the thought of a Lambert/Borini pairing or either one on their own up front in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Palace players will be quaking in their boots at the thought of a Lambert/Borini pairing or either one on their own up front in fact.

It's Wednesday I would be worried about

Mario Balotelli is out of Liverpool FC's clash with Crystal Palace
    Mario Balotelli is OUT of Liverpool's clash at Crystal Palace tomorrow afternoon – handing Brendan Rodgers another striker headache.

Balotelli is still struggling with the hamstring and groin problems that forced him out of Italy's squad for their Euro 2016 qualifier against Croatia last week.

The Reds are already reeling from the news Daniel Sturridge is out until the New Year with a recurrence of his thigh injury.

Now Rodgers must choose between Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert – who have made only one Premier League start each this season and are yet to score – to lead the line at Selhurst Park.

Balotelli was instead pictured watching tonight's fight between Tony Bellew and Nathan Cleverley at the ECHO Arena.

z.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mario-balotelli-out-liverpool-fcs-8158493

It's Wednesday I would be worried about

It's every game I'm worried about.

Wednesday is not a must win as long as Basle don't beat Madrid. In fact, if Madrid beat Basle a draw puts in the exact same position as a win. Either way a win in our last game will take us through. A draw in both games on Weds though means we will have to win by 2 goals in the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I think Lambert could surprise you against a team like Crystal Palace.

• Advertisement

Nathan Redmond for £10m on the back page of tomorrows Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Nathan Redmond for £10m on the back page of tomorrows Star.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Arek Milik scored again for Ajax tonight. The lad is a goal machine and could be bought for peanuts

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Arek Milik scored again for Ajax tonight. The lad is a goal machine and could be bought for peanuts
    Wonder if Bayer Leverkusen would be willing to do business after the whole Emre Can thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Why not play Rickaaaaaay and Borini BOTH up top.

WTF is BR's thing with playing a lone striker. Its not fcking working. He's ment to be able to adapt. That's what good managers do! Isn't it ?!

ush wrote: »
    I think Lambert could surprise you against a team like Crystal Palace.

He has been surprising me any time I've seen him so far for us with his complete lack of mobility on a football pitch. I knew he wasn't bought to be first choice except in a pinch, but he has looked so far away from what we need it's beyond funny.

I would seriously actually prefer Jerome Sinclair to start up front for us tomorrow ahead of him or Borini. I know he'd almost certainly be way out of his depth too but at least it would be an interesting and bold step.

I hope I'm eating my words tomorrow though. If we are to start with both Borini and Lambert up front (it will be Borini if we start only one I'd say) Sinclair could well be on the bench even. I reckon we will start with one up front.

Mignolet
    Johnson
    Skrtel
    Lovren
    Moreno
    Gerrard

Henderson----Coutinho----Allen

Sterling

Borini

Some variation on the above I reckon we'll go for, with a 3 man midfield ahead of Gerrard and Sterling drifting in a free role behind Borini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

marno21 wrote: »
    Wonder if Bayer Leverkusen would be willing to do business after the whole Emre Can thing

I dont really see why not. The only problem is Ajax have the option to make his loan deal permanent in January for 2.5 million euros so likelihood is we wont be signing him in January unless Ajax are foolish enough not to make it permanent. Next Summer the earliest we could go for him for relative peanuts still and we'd be dealing with Ajax rather than Leverkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I dont really see why not. The only problem is Ajax have the option to make his loan deal permanent in January for 2.5 million euros so likelihood is we wont be signing him in January unless Ajax are foolish enough not to make it permanent. Next Summer the earliest we could go for him for relative peanuts still and we'd be dealing with Ajax rather than Leverkusen

Offer a better sum to BL, offer a better deal to the player. He turns down Ajax, we get him, all is right with the world.

Another prospect is precisely what we don't need. Forget the transfer strategy, we need the real deal. Nothing less than Jackson Martinez please, Higuain would be terrific though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If I could pick a striker it would be Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If I could pick a striker it would be Benzema.

Rodgers would buy him and then loan him out again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement