Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, could Stevie pull off a Garry Monk?
    Yes or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yes or no.

No. He'd insist on playing himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I don't think klopp will be going to Liverpool.

Realistically Liverpool will always be a place just below arsenal/man utd/man city/Chelsea. I would say arsenal

Arsenal would seem a natural fit for him in the premiership, but I don't agree that those 4 teams will always be above Liverpool in terms of attracting talent. At the moment they are, very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes or no.

No.

If it were to happen I'd much prefer it was an 80's Kenny Dalglish over a Garry Monk.

Yes or no.

Is Monk not spoken for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Slippery when wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Pretty surprised many are calling for Rodgers head already.

Fickle fickle fans.

Its incredibly hard to back him when every decision he makes seems to backfire....

Is Monk not spoken for?

Oh God, that is the kind of reply I was dreading/expecting/looking forward to!

Well played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thats it really there is feck all else out there who would take over mid season.

As bad as we have been we wont get relegated and wont be troubling the top four

Yeah, I was thinking about it there during the end of the game. There's no names that come to mind available for the time being. I think Rodgers will see out the season at any rate, but as I said in the match thread, for what seems blind loyalty to some players. Looking abroad, maybe someone like Klopp or Garcia would be a good choice if available. I wanted United to go for Garcia the moment Moyes was sacked.

It's great for United, but from a purely football perspective, I just cannot believe my eyes in seeing how Liverpool's defence has got worse than last season. Rodgers had to improve on that front with Suarez leaving. Lose 30 goals, but concede 10 or 20 less. Defies logic.

Elmohamady, the Hull right back, just dribbled with the ball, then completed a pass to a teammate.

Cheeky £25m bid in January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I just wish Rodgers would trust his signings.

What's the ****ing point in building this big squad full of young talented footballers and then ignoring them when everyone else is utter ****?

Markovic has played 4 games this season. Can has played 6. What have those in place done to keep them out of the side?

We're at the stage where it pretty much can't get any worse. Getting in players who will actually fight will, win or lose, mean we can have a modicum of pride in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Think we'll be getting an interview now in a min on SSN..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Fickle fickle fans.

It's the inflexibility in his tactics and the poor demeanour of the team that has knocked people's confidence in the manager to lead the team out of this slump. I like Rodgers but we've been playing absolute muck this year and he is chiefly responsible for this mess we're in.

The club needs a shake-up but I'm not in favour of change for change's sake. If there is a really impressive candidate free at Xmas, this option must be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The one thing that really irritates me is the cost of the defence since Rodgers took over and they're still horrendous. How much were mignolet, Moreno, Lovren and Sakho combined? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The one thing that really irritates me is the cost of the defence since Rodgers took over and they're still horrendous. How much were mignolet, Moreno, Lovren and Sakho combined? :confused:

How often have they played together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd say Mignolet and Lovern were the only 2 he bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Terrific start... Lambert excellent etc etc

Low in confidence, tempo/intensity dropped, poor goals conceded

No-one to blame but themselves, he takes responsibility as the manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Kharrell wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if Rodgers were to be sacked, who would you lot want in realistically?

I'm a fellow United supporter, but honestly, do you ever stop trying to wind up opposing fans?

Just because I support an opposing team dosent mean I can't have an opinion.

Rodgers is losing it. Blaming the 'young players' on today's defeat while saying nothing about the likes of Gerrard, Johnson, Lovren or Skrtel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

An absolute shambles today. Rodgers persisting with crap is really starting to piss me off.

Rodgers is losing it. Blaming the 'young players' on today's defeat while saying nothing about the likes of Gerrard, Johnson, Lovren or Skrtel.

He's hardly losing it. If he start blaming those players then he'd be losing it. End of the day if he needs the experienced players to stick by him because if he loses the dressing room he's definitely a goner.

He actually said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy
    Never seen Brendan Rodgers as downhearted as he was post-match. 'I'm not so arrogant to believe I will be in a job through anything'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers deserves no sympathy at the moment, Warnock must have been laughing his head off seeing Allen come off, as he was the only midfielder to break up play. Gerrard, Skrtel, Johnson and Lovren were hopeless yet again.

How often have they played together?

That's a poor argument chief, the money spent on them suggests they're in an echelon that should be able to adapt regardless of circumstances.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He actually said that?

Not word for word but the jist was; Palace played a counter-attacking game and the young players couldn't cope with that and have to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

At least didn't have Balotelli to blame. 2 of our best performers were taken off. Rodgers could be too friendly with some players maybe?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fickle fickle fans.

I'm not there yet, but where is your own personal breaking point do you think? By the FA Cup 3rd round we'll have played 20 league games and know if we are still in the CL and League Cup. If we are out of both of those cups and on, say 24 points from 20 league games with no real improvement evident in general, what will you say then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

That's a poor argument chief, the money spent on them suggests they're in an echelon that should be able to adapt regardless of circumstances.

Using a price tag as a way of rating a player is hardly a great argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Rodgers said we were not aggressive in some of our play. Our midfield is nowhere near good enough and Gerrard is never going to be a DM.

Not word for word but the jist was; Palace played a counter-attacking game and the young players couldn't cope with that and have to learn.

Shouldn't it be his job to plan how to cope with that?

• Advertisement

Hopefully Rodgers saved his progress at the end of last season and not since. If so, he should be quitting and restarting with some different approaches in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Rodgers looks like a broken man in that interview. Sad to see.

Just because I support an opposing team dosent mean I can't have an opinion.

Maybe it's my line of work that I have to see things in something other than black or white that is football tribalism these days, but you call it an 'opinion' all you like Rex, but I don't believe that given past comments.

To claim Liverpool's season was all down to just a single player is tabloid thinking at it's worst, or a wind up. I don't like saying it myself, but Liverpool were well worth their runner up place, arguably more than that based on a number of players, not just one - Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez, Henderson and Gerrard.

Even with Suarez, I'd argue this team would be still struggling to get by given the ineptitude in their defence, Mignolet and Gerrard included.

Surely only Coutino, Manquillo and Sterling were the only players under 24 in our team? Hardly a team packed full of youngsters today, was it?

If that's true, he won't last the season, and I'm normally one who doesn't take much notice of post-game interviews, win, draw or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lol at blaming the younger players, signs of him losing it indeed.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not there yet, but where is your own personal breaking point do you think? By the FA Cup 3rd round we'll have played 20 league games and know if we are still in the CL and League Cup. If we are out of both of those cups and on, say 24 points from 20 league games with no real improvement evident in general, what will you say then?

There obviously is a breaking point, but where I dunno.

If we win silverware, I'll be content enough providing we don't have a complete disaster in the league.

If we are in the position you have outlined then I'll be seriously concerned, that's relegation stuff.

Changing manager again would set us back another half a decade.

And lets face it, it wouldn't be a top class manager coming in, it would be an up and coming manager most likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Gbear wrote: »
    I just wish Rodgers would trust his signings.

What's the ****ing point in building this big squad full of young talented footballers and then ignoring them when everyone else is utter ****?

Markovic has played 4 games this season. Can has played 6. What have those in place done to keep them out of the side?

We're at the stage where it pretty much can't get any worse. Getting in players who will actually fight will, win or lose, mean we can have a modicum of pride in the team.

It all comes down to the signings. If Can or Markovic were showing in training i think you might see Gerrard playing less. My guess is they are not as good as hoped and he has to persist with Stevie. All down to his signings, not to mention the disaster that is Balotelli. He could lose his job. I hope they stick with him because i like the way he tries to play attacking football. It's recruitment rather than philosophy which will kill him

If we win silverware, I'll be content enough providing we don't have a complete disaster in the league.

If we are in the position you have outlined then I'll be seriously concerned, that's relegation stuff.

And lets face it, it wouldn't be a top class manager coming in, it would be an up and coming manager most likely.
    Wouldn't say that. The PL is very weak atm.

mav79 wrote: »
    Using a price tag as a way of rating a player is hardly a great argument

If the players are limited then fair enough, I wouldn't blame them on the money they cost. I'd blame it on the manager for agreeing to such farcical sums.

Big edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Things aint going well for you guys obviously, but calling for the managers head is waaaaaaay premature I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wouldn't be for getting rid of Rodgers this season. He deserves time to turn things around and also to have Sturridge available to him again. Admittedly, it's been a truly awful season so far.

If he went, Jurgen Klopp would be my preference and he has already said he wants to manage in England. I don't think he would leave Dortmund mid season so he probably wouldn't be available until the summer or even the following summer.

In the meantime, I'd be sticking with Rodgers to give him every opportunity to prove that we don't need a replacement for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

What is he looking at on the field? I know he needs a degree of spin in these interviews but apparently Skrtel didn't win a single tackle all game. Gerrard had zero tackles/interceptions. Between the two goals they scored as a team we didn't put in a single successful challenge.

Brendan Rodgers - 'Today had nothing to do with Palace being more physical'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Calm down, lads.

A decision made in the heat of after - match defeat will probably be the wrong one.

Rodgers deserves a lot of criticism for decisions made this season but the players also have to shoulder some of the blame. There is enough to share out there.

A case in point is the second goal. Gerrard ball watching while his area of responsibility was ignored but the decision of Sterling not to either cover the goal scorer or alert Gerrard that he was there was just the latest in a series of players abdicating responsibility for ignoring the threat right in front of them.

Most of us have played some bit of soccer but this season has exposed the mental weakness of our squad. Who out there is going to do the untanked dirty job of organising players and reminding them of their ongoing job during the game?

The answer in no one. There is no leader on the pitch.

Not one player out there gives a fcuk about what happens around him and it's a sad reflection on my club that this has been allowed to happen.

All at the club should be ashamed today and embarrassed when they look in the mirror.

So WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT, LIVERPOOL?

The last bit is my main concern. We wouldn't be looking at the likes of a Klopp or a Simeone coming in, we'd be looking at a Koeman or maybe Sami Hyypia coming in, and who knows how things would go. Finances would be tightened again and things would be unpredictable again. Despite the below chart, I couldn't see Rafa actually being our manager again.

Rafael Benitez 6 5 7
    Ronald Koeman 10 9
    Frank De Boer 10 12
    Laurent Blanc 6 10 12
    Guus Hiddink 12 14
    Sami Hyypia 14 14
    Harry Redknapp 8 16 20
    Jamie Carragher 20 10 20
    Jurgen Klopp 6 20 16
    Martin ONeill 6 16 20
    Michael Laudrup 20 10 20
    Pep Guardiola 16 25 20
    Roberto Martinez 6 25 20
    Steven Gerrard 25 20 20
    Frank Rijkaard 25 25 28
    Alan Pardew 20 33
    Andre Villas-Boas 33

Just look at the difference at the shorter end of the names listed for next Utd manager.

Show GraphRyan Giggs 6/4
    Pep Guardiola 4
    Jose Mourinho 10
    Jurgen Klopp 14
    Antonio Conte 20
    Diego Simeone 20
    Carlo Ancelotti 25
    Frank de Boer 25
    Gary Neville 25
    L Enrique 25

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say that. The PL is very weak atm.

We haven't a bottomless pit.

New manager comes in guts team. New team may take a year or 2 to gel.

Don't get top 4 in 2 years, sack manager. Rinse and repeat

We haven't a bottomless pit.

New manager comes in guts team. New team may take a year or 2 to gel.

Don't get top 4 in 2 years, sack manager. Rinse and repeat
    Were 5 points off 4th despite going through relegation form. Buy some good players & we it won't take long to gel. I would still give Rogers some more time but if there is no improvement in the next 10 league games he will probably have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He looked absolutely at a loss for words in the post match interview with Geoff Shreeves which is the first time I've seen that. Blaming it on "younger players" was out of order, considering it was the younger players that were our best performers today bar maybe Lambert. He needs to realise that Steven Gerrard is not a defensive midfielder. Leaving him on the pitch today and taking off Lallana and Allen was absolutely ridiculous.

Actually lads, I have figured out what Rodgers is at. Ensure we finish outside the European places this season, and guarantee a league challenge next season. It's so cunning in it's simplicity I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Good job Brendan, keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Serious lack of leadership at Liverpool at the moment, Rodgers and the senior players to man up and start showing some leadership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement