Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

We go again.............

am I doing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I don't know why everyone is discounting Rafa as an option. Rodgers will be given till the end of the season. If he hasn't turned things around then Rafa will jump at the chance to return. The reasons people give for our new owners not wanting him generally make little sense from what I have read. At this stage they will have analysised his time at Liverpool. They will have seen after the sale of Torres and others that he turned a profit on transfers overall in his time here. They are from an investment background where those kind of cold hard figures are what interests them. Realistically he is one of very few top tier managers we can attract which in turn is our only hope of attracting the calibre of players we need.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've actually decided (reserve the chance to about face) that unless we are actually in danger of relegation this season I'd give Rodgers until about 10 games into next season before pulling the trigger on him. Money should not be particularly available though.

If things don't improve much though it'll be a depressing season, but with no easy route to meaningful improvement via a manager change, we should probably stick under most circumstances.

If Klopp was available though that's probably a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we're honest with ourselves, Rodgers has performed as badly from June until now than Hodgson ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Actually lads, I have figured out what Rodgers is at. Ensure we finish outside the European places this season, and guarantee a league challenge next season. It's so cunning in it's simplicity I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Good job Brendan, keep it up.

Will kinda backfire when we win the CL this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SlickRic wrote: »
    If we're honest with ourselves, Rodgers has performed as badly from June until now than Hodgson ever did.

You're probably right but Rodgers used to be a student of the game and was keen to try things. He just seems to have abandoned that this season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

You're probably right but Rodgers used to be a student of the game and was keen to try things. He just seems to have abandoned that this season?

This.

Why has he become so conservative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Anybody know if there are stats available on goals conceded with Gerrard as DM versus Gerrard playing elsewhere or not on the pitch?

Is there anyone out there who seriously considers that Liverpool's defence (including DM) would not improve by having Lucas playing there? Even 2014 Lucas....

Augmerson wrote: »
    This.

Why has he become so conservative?

Pressure.

The stakes were raised after last season and he is bottling it.

You can also play a lot of different ways when you have the best player to ever play in the league in your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I don't think anyone would dispute that. We had two more points after the first 12 games under Roy.

• Advertisement

In terms of on the field performances, yes. However Hodgson poisoned his relationship with the fans by what he said more than anything. Also, he had no well of goodwill built up from previous seasons. I'm sick of changing managers. We should never have sacked Rafa in the first place (he had a far greater well of goodwill built up with me anyhow), lets not make the same mistake again.

In terms of on the field performances, yes. However Hodgson poisoned his relationship with the fans by what he said more than anything. Also, he had no well of goodwill built up from previous seasons. I'm sick of changing managers. We should never have sacked Rafa in the first place (he had a far greater well of goodwill built up with me anyhow), lets not make the same mistake again.

100% agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anybody know if there are stats available on goals conceded with Gerrard as DM versus Gerrard playing elsewhere or not on the pitch?

Is there anyone out there who seriously considers that Liverpool's defence (including DM) would not improve by having Lucas playing there? Even 2014 Lucas....

Pretty sure Brendan Rodgers is the only person who thinks Gerrard should be our starting DM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Pressure.

The stakes were raised after last season and he is bottling it.

You can also play a lot of different ways when you have the best player to ever play in the league in your team.

Henry, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Cantona, Shearer and a few others say hi.

One brilliant season and 1.5 decent seasons do not make the best ever premiership player, not within an asses roar tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

after first 12 games

season 2009/10 (rafa fired at end of the season)
    W:6 D:1 L:5 F:27 A:18 Pts: 19

season 2010/11 (roy fired start of january)
    W:4 D:4 L:4 F:13 A:15 Pts: 16

season 2011/12 (kenny fired at end of season)
    W:6 D:4 L:2 F:16 A:11 Pts:22

this season
    W:4 D:2 L:6 F:15 A:18 Pts:14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

If Klopp was available though that's probably a different matter.

Bundesliga table isn't great reading then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

So how bad was it? Missed it was working ... it all seemed great for the first 2 mins ;)

... i am seriously worried now. Has Brendan lost the players? Lost the dressingroom? I mean, we've pretty much been awful for 5-6 games in a row now. We have some decent players when you compare to Southampton/Newcastle etc ... so why are we performing so badly as a group?

... this continues to Xmas Brendan is gona be out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MD1990 wrote: »
    Were 5 points off 4th despite going through relegation form. Buy some good players & we it won't take long to gel. I would still give Rogers some more time but if there is no improvement in the next 10 league games he will probably have to go.

We're 18 points off first and 11 off Southampton in 2nd who have a game in hand.

Being 4 point off 4th is all well and good but if utd find any sort of form that gap is only going 1 way. We're 8 places off 4th too. Lots of other teams being crap and us being close to them isn't a good thing. If everyone else is crap, we should be putting daylight between them and us, not accepting being behind them.

Regardless of the number of points. We need to be better than 8 other teams from here on in to have a shot at 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Any of you good people know a place where I can see Rodger's post match interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He's not getting fired even if we lose on Wednesday. The owners are unlikely to overreact as much as some of the posters on here are. He deserves time to get this right.

I have to say i'm so grateful for what he achieved last season, it was amazing. However, himself and the so called transfer committee have made a total balls up of the summer window. We had the chance to make the team and squad much much better but we blew a lot of cash on midtable fodder.

Would you say they would FSG will give them another 100 million to spend ?

I'm all for giving him time based on last season but how much time should he get if he keeps making the same mistakes? What happens if we lose the next 4 games? What happens if we are hovering over the relegation zone and out of the champions league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Carragher really called out the senior players post match, said there were no leaders, Gerrard included.
    Henderson's lack of form couldn't have come at a worse time too.

What has happened to sterling? Really low on confidence since rodgers rested him against villa then he had that media ****e with hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Any of you good people know a place where I can see Rodger's post match interview?

Scroll down ...
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

At this stage, we'd be better playing for a draw every game we play, if we can barely score and can't defend.

Henry, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Cantona, Shearer and a few others say hi.

One brilliant season and 1.5 decent seasons do not make the best ever premiership player, not within an asses roar tbh.

Say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

First Goal:
    Decent pass, Lambert only needs a good first touch and then a shot on goal.
    If you look at Lambert & Balotelli's highlight from last season, this is the type of goals they get. (We can't really consider penalties / free-kick goal they got last season because Gerrard takes them.) The Balotelli goal against Swansea was similar. Good cross, first touch, shot on goal.
    This style of goal doesn't fit Rodger's philosophy.

First CP goal:
    Good goal, defletion in the right direction, there was a bit of luck in that. Lovern should have closed him down, forced him to make a pass. There were enough Liverpool players around to cover him. Johnson tried to come in to make the tackle but he should not have had to. He was covering the player on the right wing. Lovern is to blame for this one.
    Another sign of Liverpool's defence disorganised / loss of confidence.

Second CP goal:
    That one's on Sterling not tracking back with Ledley. There were 4 CP players in a threatening position. It's a bit much to blame the CBs in this case, they have to figure out the optimum position to cover all possible passes/shots.
    The whole team has to pitch in defensively. Last season other teams were more reluctant to commit players forward because we had a lethal counter attack threat. The opposite is true this season and the likes of Sterling shouldn't be coming back into the defensive half unless he can think defensively. Perhaps what he did there was a hang-over from last season where he's positioning himself so that he'll have a slight head-start for a counter attack if the ball comes to him.

Third CP goal:
    Cracker, there's nothing you can do about that. However you need to accommodate for the fact that the other team will just do that sometimes. Had we defended better for the other 2 goals and played better going forward this game could have been a 2-1 victory.

Rodger's philosophy doesn't mean jack-sh1t all without Suarez as the front man. Players are coming at our defence in greater numbers that last season, the whole team has to adapt to this, not just the CBs.

Here's Balotelli & Lambert's highlights from their previous season at their previous clubs. Rodgers is trying to force them to play a different style than what they've had success with before. Big red flag indicating a man that's out of his depth/ was getting credit off the back of Suarez.

It's not difficult.

Our defence is disorganised.
    Our midfield offers no control.
    Our forwards offer no creativity or thrust.
    Everyone's confidence is shot.

ere'go, we don't win football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    First Goal:
    Decent pass, Lambert only needs a good first touch and then a shot on goal.
    If you look at Lambert & Balotelli's highlight from last season, this is the type of goals they get. (We can't really consider penalties / free-kick goal they got last season because Gerrard takes them.) The Balotelli goal against Swansea was similar. Good cross, first touch, shot on goal.
    This style of goal doesn't fit Rodger's philosophy.

First CP goal:
    Good goal, defletion in the right direction, there was a bit of luck in that. Lovern should have closed him down, forced him to make a pass. There were enough Liverpool players around to cover him. Johnson tried to come in to make the tackle but he should not have had to. He was covering the player on the right wing. Lovern is to blame for this one.
    Another sign of Liverpool's defence disorganised / loss of confidence.

Second CP goal:
    That one's on Sterling not tracking back with Ledley. There were 4 CP players in a threatening position. It's a bit much to blame the CBs in this case, they have to figure out the optimum position to cover all possible passes/shots.
    The whole team has to pitch in defensively. Last season other teams were more reluctant to commit players forward because we had a lethal counter attack threat. The opposite is true this season and the likes of Sterling shouldn't be coming back into the defensive half unless he can think defensively. Perhaps what he did there was a hang-over from last season where he's positioning himself so that he'll have a slight head-start for a counter attack if the ball comes to him.

Third CP goal:
    Cracker, there's nothing you can do about that. However you need to accommodate for the fact that the other team will just do that sometimes. Had we defended better for the other 2 goals and played better going forward this game could have been a 2-1 victory.

Rodger's philosophy doesn't mean jack-sh1t all without Suarez as the front man. Players are coming at our defence in greater numbers that last season, the whole team has to adapt to this, not just the CBs.

Here's Balotelli & Lambert's highlights from their previous season at their previous clubs. Rodgers is trying to force them to play a different style than what they've had success with before. Big red flag indicating a man that's out of his depth/ was getting credit off the back of Suarez.

On the 3rd one. Yes the free wasn't saveable. But it's the giving away of the free I've the issue with. Skrtel just grabs a hold of anything that comes near him, inside or outside the box. That's not a legitimate way to defend. I haven't a clue how refs let him away with it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It's not difficult.

Our defence is disorganised.
    Our midfield offers no control.
    Our forwards offer no creativity or thrust.
    Everyone's confidence is shot.

Other than that, everything is OK.

Goodbye Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

So how bad was it? Missed it was working ... it all seemed great for the first 2 mins ;)

... i am seriously worried now. Has Brendan lost the players? Lost the dressingroom? I mean, we've pretty much been awful for 5-6 games in a row now. We have some decent players when you compare to Southampton/Newcastle etc ... so why are we performing so badly as a group?

This is where you are wrong, I don't agree that there is too much difference in quality between Liverpool/Newcastle and the Saints especially. The problem is as much about personnel as Rogers.

• Advertisement

Cor blimey guv'nor, you sound like a cockney with that spelling me old duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

We've made a Good Start, but we couldn't Maintain it.

The Problem this Season, is that Teams has now Figured out Gerrard. And they know that he is not a DM.

Not to mention, we don't have a World Class Attack that can Outscore them. Heck, we probably have one of the Worst in the League.

So now they Attack with Impunity, since they know we can't Punish them unlike last season.

It doesn't matter if they were Chelsea or Relegation-fodder like Crystal Palace. With no Bite in the Midfield, Teams are Pegging us real hard in our own Half.

This also Affects our Forward Play. Since we're having a Hard Time fending off their Attacks, but we also don't have any Pace to actually Counter them.

TBH, you were Lucky to have missed it. I can barely Stomach watching the last few minutes, without Cursing BR and his Personnel Decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ebbsy wrote: »
    Other than that, everything is OK.

Goodbye Brendan.

Everything is not awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Who wants to be the 100th person to use that Rodgers quote about Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

He deserves a fcukwit comment like that to come back like that and bite him on the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Who wants to be the 100th person to use that Rodgers quote about Spurs?

The one about Southampton paints him in an even worse light...

B3JJbeoCMAACQAa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do people see Rodgers being able to turn things around though? Based on his stubborness this season in selection and the fact that he is doesn't seem to be able to change the way the team play to suit the players he bought, I'm increasingly doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Did ye see the chelsea one? Said its easy to teach how to defend like chelsea or something like that after last year, id give my left one for us to be able to defend half as well as chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Not only is it the way he sets a team up this year and the players he picks, but his subs are not making any positive difference in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rob316 wrote: »
    Carragher really called out the senior players post match, said there were no leaders, Gerrard included.
    Henderson's lack of form couldn't have come at a worse time too.

What has happened to sterling? Really low on confidence since rodgers rested him against villa then he had that media ****e with hodgson.

In fairness the senior players are Johnson ( he's diabolical ) , Skrtel ( I feel an accident waiting to happen ) , Lucas ( barely gets a game ) , Toure ( because of age , I think needs to start ) and then you have Gerrard ( it's sad to see him become as bad as he has , time to rest or play him less because well he will be remembered for bad mistakes and performances ) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Well I missed the second half and ultimately we were **** again.
    Rodgers really is bringing this team up shit creek. He needs to have the balls to make the change and drop the under performing "leaders"

Although the idea's on the twitter of bringing in Rafa or Dalglish are wrong. IF the owner make the move and dump BR then the club needs fresh blood (a proven winner ). I don't know who though.

Bye the bye we lost so I guess its time to blame Marako.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Do people see Rodgers being able to turn things around though? Based on his stubborness this season in selection and the fact that he is doesn't seem to be able to change the way the team play to suit the players he bought, I'm increasingly doubtful.

He looked genuinely crestfallen in his post match interview with Shreeves. I reckon that if he doesnt learn from this game and change his selection policy accordingly, he never will. There's still time for him to turn this situation around but he needs to wake up and smell the sh!t that some of his "regulars" are shovelling in terms of performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What the f**k does "student of the game" even mean. Sounds like the sort of pretentious nonsense Rodgers often spouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lads, I must have missed the match today by mistake. I watched a game with a useless team in yellow get beaten by Palace on sky sports, who were Liverpool playing and on what channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So, what's the solution between now and January?

I'd be inclined to get Toure, Lucas and Borini into the team. They can't put a worse shift in than the current lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Gerrard's role in the team reminds me of the last year or two of Giggs career, a lot of friends that are United supporters who idolized him for years, hated seeing him in the starting line-up. Gerrard today was after a long break so the hectic schedule of PL and CL games cannot be used as an excuse for his lack of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

mav79 wrote: »
    Gerrard today was after a long break so the hectic schedule of PL and CL games cannot be used as an excuse for his lack of energy.

Great point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Only positive was Lambert who done well. Deserves a run in the team now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Tk97CB7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The way I see it, the problem with this Liverpool team is the defense.

The defence can't cope with quick counter attacking football, aerial balls, strength, guile, technical players, pace, slow players, long balls, short quick interplay around the box, long range shots, free kicks, the physical side of the game, passing, pressure, corners, crosses, balls from deep and opposing players in possession.

They are however, great at passing back to Mignolet, so he can kick it out.

The midfield is a concern also with it being absent from the midfield area most of the time and letting the opposition a free run at our defence. Also they struggle to find any of players apart from Skrtel and Lovern.

Actually the forwards are not great either.

At least we have some great sponsorship deals and can always rely on us cutting down the wages outlay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement