Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

They are your hopes, he was talking about winning the league having finished 2nd last season. He said nothing wrong at all but has been badly represented by Ardent and those reacting to what they didn't see or hear. or the context the words were spoken in.

How am I misrepresenting him? I'm repeating exactly what he said, there's no context missing that will put a different slant on his words. FWIW, I understand completely where he's coming from, even if I don't agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mosstin wrote: »
    What is anyone contributing this season?

I'll wait for Dathijjj to get back to me about Gerrard as he highlighted him for his qualities - not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If we didn't address all that during the summer when we had buckets of cash after selling the best player to ever play in the league it won't be done in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

That's old news then, what is he contributing this season?

I'm starting to join yourself and Mike on Gerrard influence.

He's 34, a seasoned premier league and international performer and he looks lost on the pitch. His reading of the defensive side of the game is poor at best and today he looked like he was running through treacle.

I thought it would be ok till next season but no, Gerrard can't run to save his life.

It's a sad end to a stellar career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

djPSB wrote: »
    The target is a top 4 finish.

Lambert, Borini and Toure are miles away from that level.

Lambert has already scored a premier league goal despite about 95% less gametime than Mario. He should start more with another up top.

Borini, I'd need to see him in a run of games.

Toure - I have no qualms about him in a team fighting for fourth. He has been in such teams for his entires senior career - was oustanding in the one big chance he got this season.

Mario isn't up for a top four team that aren't back by a Sheik and three other world class strikers/Yaya Youre/Nasri/Silva.

Lazar has shown nothing.

Lovren, Skrtel and Johnson are costing us goals.

I can't understand people rubbishing our subs when the first XI are so clearly not up to the job.

• Advertisement

He needs to take up yoga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If we didn't address all that during the summer when we had buckets of cash after selling the best player to ever play in the league it won't be done in January.

You sent out that bait earlier, do you not remember? I'd appreciate if you would stop attracting Utd fans to this thread with those little digs, especially when you're just repeating yourself from earlier.

It's painful enough reading without having Utd fans in here gloating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Nothing been said about Mig kicking a free kick under no pressure straight into the CP dug out which resulted in a throw in leading to their 1st or 2nd goal ( can't remember which )

delw wrote: »
    Nothing been said about Mig kicking a free kick under no pressure straight into the CP dug out which resulted in a throw in leading to their 1st or 2nd goal ( can't remember which )

They mentioned it on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Someone just watched MOTD2..

• Advertisement

That was embarrassing though it still required three phases of play to become a goal so I'd not blame Mig for that directly. Rather it summed up the whole side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

5live wrote: »
    I'm starting to join yourself and Mike on Gerrard influence.

He's 34, a seasoned premier league and international performer and he looks lost on the pitch. His reading of the defensive side of the game is poor at best and today he looked like he was running through treacle.

I thought it would be ok till next season but no, Gerrard can't run to save his life.

It's a sad end to a stellar career.

Sad in that he's been shoe horned into a position he's never had the intelligence or tactical discipline to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

stankratz wrote: »
    Fúck it, I'll take it...

Congratz Stankratz, you have hit the jackpot, just PM me your bank details and I will send you on your cash prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

That's old news then, what is he contributing this season?

More than what we can bring on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gbear wrote: »

We're not trying to win the league here. We're just trying not to be utterly atrocious.

Are we not? Finishing 2nd last season I'd have thought the only step left was to try take the one to win the league.

The ultimate goal surely is to win the league otherwise what's the point.

If these are the players rodgers has bought with the goal to push on ( from 2nd remember) then it's a fairly poor indictment of his transfer policy.

Forget the last 12 games happened. Let's pretend it's mid august again. Is the squad good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

At least the under 18's can score :D.. They can't defend though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

1. We are without our two best players from last season. No Suarez and no Sturridge + continually ****e defence = bad times. Borni and Lambert are nowhere near good enough to be leading the line for a club with top 6 aspirations never mind top 4. Fixing this should be made a priority in January.

2. We scored a huge amount of goals from set pieces last year. Im not sure whats happened there but we don't threaten from them...at all this year.

3. I cant count the amount of times our defence stand still on the ball. One of our back line will have the ball, literally stop to a halt and look for a pass off. Its like they are afraid to run with it and once they eventually pass it off, there is no looking for a return pass. There was a stage today I think it was Manquillo had the ball and none of the midfield came to show for it and eventually the ball trickled back to a palace player.

4. We spent 20 million on Lovren when we had Agger, who in my opinion is a better player. We spent 20 million on Markovich when we had Ibe, who has shown just as much if not more than him in a Liverpool jersey. Thats 40 million wasted. Markovich at 20 million would be fine if we as a club could afford that type of luxury investment in a young player. We can't though.

40 million pounds gone. With one top forward who is ridiculously injury prone, thats bad management by those involved in transfers.

5. The Rodgers Out brigade will be growing louder, but the man deserves a chance to turn this around. Anyone who wants him sacked at this stage is an idiot in my opinion. As someone said on Twitter, we don't aspire to be Newcastle, but where would they be if they sacked Pardew 7 games ago? Use that as an example of how quickly things can change.

6. Johnson, Skrtel and Gerrard need to be dropped. Bring Gerrard on further up the pitch around the 60 minute mark. He does not have the legs to cover the defense in his current position.

7. I miss last season. I miss Suarez. I miss all those lovely lovely goals and the winning matches. :(

Does Carra have his coaching badges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I presume nobody posts that "alternative table" from last season here? Have a feeling we'd be sinking like a stone on it too.

Complete shambles, and the manifestation of everything I've been saying since September - we've been flattered positionally with other teams starting flat-footedly.

I was 100% convinced United would have a slow start to season due to defensive issues, but their main issue is so identifiable and fixable that I can see them having a strong enough second half of season ...

As such, we're fighting with Arsenal (!) to catch Southampton in my honest opinion. And I'd genuinely rate our chances of doing that at around 3% having looked at it tonight. Miserable stuff.

If we lose on Wednesday, the pressure on Rodgers is going to reach a fever pitch. Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Liverpool have got so stupid at dwfending I'm resigning myself to the fact that it wouldn't matter who is brought in at cb. They'll turn crap once they throw on the geansai.

I assume Alderweild has Wanyama and Schneiderlein as a duo in front. It's a screen like that Liverpool need imo for the circus defending to improve.
    It sadly won't alleviate the inability to deal with corners but baby steps and all that.

Only seeing this now, but it's a fair point and I'd agree - though I'd add to it by saying, had I been asked in summer who I considered the superior buy, price aside, I'd take Alderweireld over Lovren. I didn't realise his deal to Southampton is only a loan also....I'd seriously consider taking him, I think he went to AM for circa 10m.

However, in saying this, your point about defensive shield is absolutely correct also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gbear wrote: »
    ... frustrating because what came before from a manager that's shown flexibility and delivered the best football any fan under 30 has ever seen and from players that consistently delivered last season.

People need to stop blaming the signings. The team we have available, even without Sturridge, is a lot better than Hull, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham, QPR and most of the teams we've struggled against this season.

Rodgers get's 0 points for his management of the squad he's had available this season. Persisting with demonstrably off-form CBs, persisting with Gerrard, Johnson and 1 up front.

It's just maddening. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills. There's no explanation. A four-year-old would be able to see what's wrong. I don't believe that Rodgers is so ****ing stupid that he can't see the problems.

Good points, agree 100%.

I do think Gerrard has a part to play though, just not as a DM. He's a CM. He should not start every game.

Rant:

Does Rodgers hate Lucas? Why is his talent going to waste? He is our best DM.

Why can't he trust Can to start instead of just coming on at the end of every game?

Why won't he drop Sterling? He's had a horrible season and is totally burnt out.

Why isn't Toure starting after the leadership he showed in Madrid?

What the story with Illori? Should Wisdom be recalled to provide decent competition? Wish we didnt sell Kelly.

Why aren't the lads playing the ball on the ground? Where's Tiki Taka gone? I thought that was coached? Its all wild and uncoordinated closing down, desperate long balls and panic, or over eager naivety, in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    the best player to ever play in the league.

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Gbear wrote:
    delivered the best football any fan under 30 has ever seen

Lol x 2

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Brazil 1970, Spain 2010, Holland 1974. All these teams would like a word with you.

And people say Newcastle fans are deluded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

quarryman wrote: »
    Lol x 2

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Brazil 1970, Spain 2010, Holland 1974. All these teams would like a word with you.

And people say Newcastle fans are deluded...

He obviously meant from a Liverpool perspective.

Jesus. Cast the thought process out a bit before attempting to get all indignant.

5live wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has blamed Sakho yet.

#itsalwaysSakhosfault

True.

There's one central defender that's been in the team for the vast majority of the past 18 months, a period that's probably been one of the worst defensive periods in the clubs history.

No idea how he gets into the team week in week out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone else still really REALLY pissed off about how much of a state we're in.

I think we better played under Hodgson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I follow the premier league closely. It's very hard to see where it's all gone wrong, they played such great football last season but I think the loss of SAS can't be overestimated. They carried that team for a lot of last season.

The fact they literally can't defend is obviously another issue. I don't think it would be exaggerating to say they're in the bottom 5 defences in the league (haven't looked at any stats to back this up just an observation)

Is the whole thing a bit of a hangover from the manner in which they blew the league last season?

Other players that did well last season seem out of form now, Henderson, sterling etc.

Balotelli will be regarded as one of the worst ever premiership signings. Don't see any hope for him. He's not contributing at all, and what's worse is that he's not even getting chances to miss (as shearer says this is when a striker really needs to start worrying) he seems incapable of getting in a position to score and on the odd occasion he does he manages to fluff it. Useless.

The signings made in the summer have just been so so poor and it's hard to even see any of them coming good. It's hard to see an option apart from rebuilding the squad IMO. Which brings me to my final point, if that is what has to be done ( and it seems that way) then while it's harsh I don't see any other option but to show Rodgers the door. He has shown himself totally out of his depth in the transfer market and if that's what needs to be done to turn it around can anyone say they'd have any faith in him being able to do it? I certainly wouldn't.

Is that an overly harsh assessment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'd say BR had a good nights sleep last night.

As I see it he has two choices:-

1. He sticks with his plan for integrating the new players and playing one up front until Sturridge returns

or

2. He accepts that radical change is needed and puts some energy and aggressiveness onto the pitch which means dropping Stevie, Skyrtel, Johnson.

Either way we need a top class keeper as an absolute priority. Ming hasn't worked out, he's useless with the ball at his feet, he doesn't dominate the box, doesn't communicate and conveys zero confidence to his defence.

For now we need a screen in front of Ming. Given the loss of goals in the team we need to focus on making ourselves hard to beat and getting clean sheets. Something like this will give us a decent chance to start getting some results:-

Ming (Jones on bench)

Manquillo Toure Lovren Moreno (Styrtel on bench)

Can Lucas (Hendo & Allen on bench)

Lallana Sterling (Countinho & Stevie on bench)

Borini Balotelli (Lambert on bench)

I don't see any downside to going with the above for a few weeks until Sturridge is back fit. It's sink or swim time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I follow the premier league closely. It's very hard to see where it's all gone wrong, they played such great football last season but I think the loss of SAS can't be overestimated. They carried that team for a lot of last season.

The fact they literally can't defend is obviously another issue. I don't think it would be exaggerating to say they're in the bottom 5 defences in the league (haven't looked at any stats to back this up just an observation)

Is the whole thing a bit of a hangover from the manner in which they blew the league last season?

Other players that did well last season seem out of form now, Henderson, sterling etc.

Balotelli will be regarded as one of the worst ever premiership signings. Don't see any hope for him. He's not contributing at all, and what's worse is that he's not even getting chances to miss (as shearer says this is when a striker really needs to start worrying) he seems incapable of getting in a position to score and on the odd occasion he does he manages to fluff it. Useless.

The signings made in the summer have just been so so poor and it's hard to even see any of them coming good. It's hard to see an option apart from rebuilding the squad IMO. Which brings me to my final point, if that is what has to be done ( and it seems that way) then while it's harsh I don't see any other option but to show Rodgers the door. He has shown himself totally out of his depth in the transfer market and if that's what needs to be done to turn it around can anyone say they'd have any faith in him being able to do it? I certainly wouldn't.

Is that an overly harsh assessment?

Yes, that's an overly harsh assessment. Balotelli has mostly been played up front by himself which isn't his position. He has played awfully at times, but until he's got a run of games up front with Sturridge then we've no idea if he'll come good for us.

Re. the summer signings. Hard to see Lallana coming good? He's already looked good. Markovic is 20. He hasn't done much but give the lad a chance. This time last year Sterling wasn't playing great and look at how much he's come along. I'm not even going to bother going into this about each player.

TL;DR - Yes, that's an overly harsh assessment.

• Advertisement

A lot of papers talking about Klopp as Rodgers replacement.

He's not having a great season either.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Vicxas wrote: »

Please let this happen as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wishful paper talk, no chance of that happening

Klopp is a proven winner..

Rodgers deserves time but that time is getting shorter with every game.

Klopp is a proven winner..

Rodgers deserves time but that time is getting shorter with every game.

This is true, i think Rodgers can feel the breeze of the door on his back.

Also, Reus Injured:

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9576575/Reus-Injured...

Could nab him on the cheap. ;)

This is true, i think Rodgers can feel the breeze of the door on his back.

Also, Reus Injured:

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9576575/Reus-Injured...

Could nab him on the cheap. ;)

A Dortmund double Klopp & Reus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

quarryman wrote: »
    Lol x 2

And so would your maths teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's just on the back of what Klopp said. Newspaper aren't really news anymore, just opinion pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's just on the back of what Klopp said. Newspaper aren't really news anymore, just opinion pieces.

What did Klopp say?

What did Klopp say?

Just that he wants to manage in England as he can speak the language which is important to him. He loves the Premier League etc.

So automatically, any top club with a manager under pressure will get linked to Klopp by the papers.

What did Klopp say?

Something about only wanting to manage in England after Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just that he wants to manage in England as he can speak the language which is important to him. He loves the Premier League etc.

So automatically, any top club with a manager under pressure will get linked to Klopp by the papers.

Did he not say that a few years ago and then say last year when he was linked with Chelsea and man United that he loves Dortmund and it's his family?

It's just paper ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

We've gone from a very counter attacking team with Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling being lethal on the break to a team that still tries to play the same way ... just without the pace, belief and confidence ... not to mention the personnel.

Rodgers really needs to evaluate what he is trying to do here. Even when at Swansea he never had his team kicking aimless long balls forward like we do. I worried when i seen our lineup yesterday simply because he thinks Gerard can cover the attacking options of Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana all by himself? Complete naivety.

Time to shore up proper with a combination of Hendo/Lucas/Can/Gerard with possibly 3 out of the 4 of em starting! Need to be more difficult to beat rather than this counter attacking fullback nonsense where we leave ourselves totally open as soon as we lose it.

... just a side note. Palace's great gameplan where they got so much joy from yesterday was for Bolasie to "go at players" cos seemingly "even he doesn't know what he is gona do" ... gimme a break!

Just listened to Carraghers assessment of yesterdays game and it was right on the money - bullied from pillar to post, outfought and no leadership. "Something is very wrong". Tells its own story. The whole thing reeks of players not fighting for their manager ... we all know how that ends up!

Klopp would be mad to come to an interior league tbh.

There's two big jobs in England these days and Mourinho will be holding onto one of them.

City is the other one so unless Pellegrini goes I'd say Klopp won't be coming near England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rarnes1 wrote: »

There's two big jobs in England these days and Mourinho will be holding onto one of them.

City is the other one so unless Pellegrini goes I'd say Klopp won't be coming near England.
    You obviously didn't see his interview with BT then. Basically said he wants to go to England after his job at Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

In fairness ... if Klopp bombs out this season which is likely enough he'll still have a few offers that would be more attractive than ours - and that's IF the timing was right with both being out of a job.

That said, Pellegrini's job is far from safe right now as they are about to be humbled by Munich this week and are unable to fire like last season ... a little like us except they got Aguero.

I could very well see him getting the Arsenal job at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't see his interview with BT then. Basically said he wants to go to England after his job at Dortmund.

Ya he said if someone from England calls him he will talk. His time is up at Dortmund he knows it, Bayern will probably buy Reus in the summer too so that league is sewn up for along time to come.
    Is Klopp in charge of player recruitment at Dortmund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I could very well see him getting the Arsenal job at some stage.

Nope . Klopp will be taking the German Job when finished with BVB

he is next in line for the role and everyone in Germany knows it

daithijjj wrote: »
    More than what we can bring on.

Funny you should mention Can, I reckon it would be wiser to allow a 20 year old to grow into the role and improve the squad over the season than keep a 35 year old in the team who is making the side worse as his decline continues apace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MD1990 wrote: »

I don't really trust these answers in interviews - I suspect if he did an interview with Russian TV that he'd be talking about how he'd love to manage in their league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement